• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KD in CA

• devnull

• Ann

• Uncle Joe

8 minutes ago, devnull said:

Well Alabama just threw a wrench into the CFP Selections...

This is why I watch college ball sparingly... you can lose but still be in the hunt. Imo they should be sent home to watch the rest of the "season" on the couch. Who gets "in" by a committee vote is dumb as f...

https://fansided.com/posts/will-georgia-make-college-football-playoff-with-loss-alabama-01hgp6357xd3

In all likelihood, Georgia will make it into the College Football Playoff, win or lose. No team ranked first overall in the second-to-last CFP rankings has ever been left out one week later.

Georgia fans don't want to wait anxiously internally debating whether or not the CFP Selection Committee would leave the Bulldogs out. If those fans want to ease that anxiety, they have to root for No. 4 Florida State to lose to No. 14 Louisville in the ACC Championship Game later in the day. That would at least secure a clearer path.

But if Georgia were to lose and Florida State were to win, it could create a lengthy debate. Even so, Georgia will likely sneak in.

6 minutes ago, MothersMilk said:

This is why I watch college ball sparingly... you can lose but still be in the hunt. Imo they should be sent home to watch the rest of the "season" on the couch. Who gets "in" by a committee vote is dumb as f...

https://fansided.com/posts/will-georgia-make-college-football-playoff-with-loss-alabama-01hgp6357xd3

In all likelihood, Georgia will make it into the College Football Playoff, win or lose. No team ranked first overall in the second-to-last CFP rankings has ever been left out one week later.

Georgia fans don't want to wait anxiously internally debating whether or not the CFP Selection Committee would leave the Bulldogs out. If those fans want to ease that anxiety, they have to root for No. 4 Florida State to lose to No. 14 Louisville in the ACC Championship Game later in the day. That would at least secure a clearer path.

But if Georgia were to lose and Florida State were to win, it could create a lengthy debate. Even so, Georgia will likely sneak in.

How do you put non Conference champ Georgia in over one loss Conference Champ Alabama, who they just lost to for the SEC title?

How do you put one loss Conference Champ Alabama in over one loss Conference champ Texas, who gave Alabama their only loss of the season?

• I don't know 1

2 minutes ago, devnull said:

How do you put non Conference champ Georgia in over one loss Conference Champ Alabama, who they just lost to for the SEC title?

How do you put one loss Conference Champ Alabama in over one loss Conference champ Texas, who gave Alabama their only loss of the season?

Don't know much about any of this... I'm just used to "if you win you're in, if you lose you're out" kind of sports. Or best of series like hockey and baseball.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MothersMilk said:

Don't know much about any of this... I'm just used to "if you win you're in, if you lose you're out" kind of sports. Or best of series like hockey and baseball.

At least next year the CFP is expanding from 4 to 12 teams.

But they'll still have the same situation deciding which team is and which is left out.

It goes back to the flood of advertising money with the myriad of College Bowl games

2 hours ago, devnull said:

Georgia should be out.  No ifs, ands or buts.

And yeah, Texas should be in over Bama, regardless of who the perceived ‘best’ team is right now.

If you’re sick of NFL refs and rules ruining games, remember it could always be worse.

They just awarded Michigan the ball (and essentially the game clinching TD) on a ‘fumble’ that was recovered several seconds after the play was blown (mostly) dead as an incomplete pass.

• Like 2

Billsandhorns
13 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

If you’re sick of NFL refs and rules ruining games, remember it could always be worse.

They just awarded Michigan the ball (and essentially the game clinching TD) on a ‘fumble’ that was recovered several seconds after the play was blown (mostly) dead as an incomplete pass.

That crew is up for a promotion to the league 

15 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

And in the Georgia/Alabama game, Alabama converted 4th and 4 late in the first half that ultimately set up a TD to put Alabama up 17-7.  Before the second half started, CBS showed a replay of that catch and the receiver probably did not have control. 

However the refs never even bothered to review...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

Someone is going to get screwed in the playoffs picks.

This is why I don't watch much college ball... a f$%^& committee decides your fate at the near end. That's laughable for sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, devnull said:

And that somebody was Florida State

I figured they were the most likely to get screwed. They were never going to shut out the SEC.

Funny thing is, if Georgia wins, FSU gets the fourth spot. They were jumped solely to justify Alabama’s spot, which was not defensible without including Texas.

I guess a four team team playoff doesn’t work so well when you have five deserving conference champs.

• Like 1

I think there were fewer disputes under the old bowl system.  Frankly, I’d rather just see:

Michigan-Washington in the Rose Bowl

Alabama-Oregon in the Sugar Bowl

Texas-OSU in the Cotton Bowl

FSU-Georgia in the Orange Bowl

11 hours ago, devnull said:

At least whoever schedules the rest of the Bowls has a sense of humor

MA

If Florida State shows up.