Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

J.J. Watt on future in Houston: 'I'm not looking to rebuild'

Ann

I know he's hurt a lot, but when he is healthy... anyhoooo thoughts?

</snip>

Rebuilding isn't much in the mindset of 31-year-old star pass rusher J.J. Watt . A decade into his NFL career, the three-time Defensive Player of The Year has no time left for hefty renovation plans.

Watt was asked Wednesday if he believes he'll finish his career in Houston.

"I don't think it's any secret that I don't have 10 years left in this league," Watt said, via Sarah Barshop of ESPN. "I personally believe that I do have a few more great ones left in me. But you also can't ... I'm not looking to rebuild. I'm looking to go after a championship, and that's what I want to do. So, whatever is in the best interest of the Houston Texans, that's in the best interest of myself."

</snip>

3 minutes ago, Nanker said:

So, whatever is in the best interest of the Houston Texans, that's in the best interest of myself."

What ever does THAT mean?

:classic_huh::bsflag:

I'm looking to go somewhere where the organization is not totally #@!%ed up?

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Nanker said:

So, whatever is in the best interest of the Houston Texans, that's in the best interest of myself."

What ever does THAT mean?

In part, I think it means the Texans are in dire need of draft picks and Watt knows they'll send him to the highest bidder, not the more ideal place for Watt to win. I have no idea the value of Watt...can they get a second or third? No idea. But I doubt Houston will deal him to a Seattle or Marsha for a lower draft pick just to be nice.

• Like 1

Jabba The Hutt
4 hours ago, Ann said:

I know he's hurt a lot, but when he is healthy... anyhoooo thoughts?

</snip>

Rebuilding isn't much in the mindset of 31-year-old star pass rusher J.J. Watt . A decade into his NFL career, the three-time Defensive Player of The Year has no time left for hefty renovation plans.

Watt was asked Wednesday if he believes he'll finish his career in Houston.

"I don't think it's any secret that I don't have 10 years left in this league," Watt said, via Sarah Barshop of ESPN. "I personally believe that I do have a few more great ones left in me. But you also can't ... I'm not looking to rebuild. I'm looking to go after a championship, and that's what I want to do. So, whatever is in the best interest of the Houston Texans, that's in the best interest of myself."

</snip>

Oh my goodness... We need to get him ASAP. This is one of my dreams:classic_love:

If we get him, I think our run D and pass rush shoot up to near top of the league.

Edited by Jabba The Hutt
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

In part, I think it means the Texans are in dire need of draft picks and Watt knows they'll send him to the highest bidder, not the more ideal place for Watt to win. I have no idea the value of Watt...can they get a second or third? No idea. But I doubt Houston will deal him to a Seattle or Marsha for a lower draft pick just to be nice.

The Bills aren't going to spend the money elsewhere, and they could be competitive now if the front seven didn't suck, so yeah, this is one of those times it's worth the risk to add the big name guy.  Of course, it seems like the only teams that ever get guys like this mid-year are Seattle and Baltimore.  And now Tampa Bay.  So I won't hold my breath.

15 hours ago, KD in CA said:

The Bills aren't going to spend the money elsewhere, and they could be competitive now if the front seven didn't suck, so yeah, this is one of those times it's worth the risk to add the big name guy.  Of course, it seems like the only teams that ever get guys like this mid-year are Seattle and Baltimore.  And now Tampa Bay.  So I won't hold my breath.

Seattle, Baltimore and Marsha are pretty much a player or two from making a genuine SB run. The Bills, not so much. They need more than just an edge rusher, not to mention you'd be buying Watts at the time you should probably be selling him, and the Bills don't appear to have either the time or money for the investment.

2 hours ago, Nanker said:

Is he worth our 2021 2nd? Would that be enough or would they want more from The Bills?

As mentioned previously, I'm not Xs and Os guy, and don't follow college ball, but it's always been my impression that a really good pash rusher is someone you can draft in the first and second round, and not have to wait too long for their development. Assuming that is accurate, Watts would be a waste of a second round pick because I'm not convinced he has much gas left in his tank.

• Cheers 1

TakeYouToTasker 2.0
35 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Can we somehow mash up him and Milano, and maybe get a player that can play a full season?

Tweener.

Jabba The Hutt
On 11/6/2020 at 11:27 PM, DC Tom said:

Can we somehow mash up him and Milano, and maybe get a player that can play a full season?

When you become that sexy you are invincible!!:classic_love:

• 2 months later...

He'd have to take considerably less money but I'd love to see him in Buffalo.  I wanted us to pick him instead of Dareus after Von Miller went off the board.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

He'd have to take considerably less money but I'd love to see him in Buffalo.  I wanted us to pick him instead of Dareus after Von Miller went off the board.

His base salary for this fall is 17,500,000 dollars.  We would have to rework some contracts and/or make some cuts.  Not sure that there is a relatively painless solution to get him.  

3 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

His base salary for this fall is 17,500,000 dollars.  We would have to rework some contracts and/or make some cuts.  Not sure that there is a relatively painless solution to get him.  

I suspect he's getting cut so that number doesn't mean much.  The question is how much money over how many years does he want? 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

I suspect he's getting cut so that number doesn't mean much.  The question is how much money over how many years does he want? 

If he gets cut then that solves the problem of trade compensation that we would have to give.  He might give a discount to play on a SB caliber team but I don't think getting him under 13M per year is realistic.  Also, I don't know that he is the player that he was just a couple of years ago.  If I was Beane and Watt was on the open market I would open at 12M and see what the counter bid was by Watt.  I don't want a 15M annual 4 year contract on him and I question that he would settle for 50 percent or less guaranteed.  

• Like 1