Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Wacka: I'm OK!

Wacka

Best wishes, @Wacka!

People who donate their organs are truly special people. I hope they have a direct line to Heaven.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Fansince88
1 hour ago, Wacka said:

I am pasting my post from ATOP

below.

Got my  laptop now. Using a phone to navigate web boards  is crap.

Thank you everyone for the prayers and well wishes..

Got put on the waiting list mid Jan. They say  the average wait time is 2-5 years. Get a call at noon on Valentines day. We get there at 2 PM. Hospital says the operation should be at 8 PM. 8 Comes and goes tell me it will be  at 7:30 AM. Tell me the donor was a 40 year old and by the delay it must have been from out of town.  Go down then  and get put under. Sister told me  ii was done around 10. Don't remember anything  before 4. Have an incision from near my navel  over to the right where they put the kidney in. 

Had a foley catheter. That was taken out Thursday. Strange sensation but didn't  hurt. Said the next morning the kidney was producing urine. Sometime it has to be "jump-started.  Had 3  dialyses and 1 long one. That 5 hr one drew 3L of waste. Wednesday night they moved me to the  burn unit because they needed the space in the ICU. and then Friday night up to the renal floor. Can walk to the bathroom, with help of course.

My oxygen level was low. put me on a Bi PAP machine for 24 hrs. Pure torture.  Nose and lips total dried out and had swollen nose from  the mask.Hen they put me pn a noisy  high flow cannula and know on a regular cannula. Mighttake me off of it tonight.

Glad to hear and you will be in my prayers my friend. Rest up and get well. 

• Like 3

Busy day today. Transplant crew come by at 7. Dialysis from 7:30 to 1030. Got twatch the Sabres replay   during it. In the next bay was a man accompanied by 2 state troopers. Sat right outside hiss bay the whole time.

Then to the bathroom,wash, shave and brush teeth Then walk to the a chair with the walker and then to bed. PT comes and I walk to the nurse's station and back May be let out in a few days. Since I live alone, may go to rehab for about a week to build ny strength and regain my balance.

• Like 5
  • Applause 4

keep up the good work 

Rehab will definitely help. 
You can do it. 

Edited by mead107
  • Like 3

Another dialysis - 2 hours. Anoher onvict there.  Fell asleep and was dewamin during it. Dreamt  I was at a party with hundreds of people and hten in the middle it started snowing..Telling people  to stay away because I had to be isolated, and every so often someone was grabbing my arm.

the 

Lots of people talking on the TV and the grabbing was the BP cuff.Rge dialysis had a phase where you may start shivering.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Wacka said:

Busy day today. Transplant crew come by at 7. Dialysis from 7:30 to 1030. Got twatch the Sabres replay   during it. In the next bay was a man accompanied by 2 state troopers. Sat right outside hiss bay the whole time.

Then to the bathroom,wash, shave and brush teeth Then walk to the a chair with the walker and then to bed. PT comes and I walk to the nurse's station and back May be let out in a few days. Since I live alone, may go to rehab for about a week to build ny strength and regain my balance.

Ugh...as if you haven't been through enough!!

Glad to hear from you and that you are making progress.  Best wishes for a continued recovery.

• Like 2

Positive day.Right food came today. Dietary's computer system fixed. Got  an ultrasound  of the new kidney. There hours of dialysis. Helped a lot as my congestion get very much better, When I walked to the   nurse's station and   back 2x and  my O2 stayed at 95%. Got a list of places for rehab for a week or so,  and most are 3 stars or better. Feel the best  I  have since the operation,

• Like 2
  • Applause 4
  • Cheers 2
  • Love 1

Fansince88
21 hours ago, Wacka said:

Positive day.Right food came today. Dietary's computer system fixed. Got  an ultrasound  of the new kidney. There hours of dialysis. Helped a lot as my congestion get very much better, When I walked to the   nurse's station and   back 2x and  my O2 stayed at 95%. Got a list of places for rehab for a week or so,  and most are 3 stars or better. Feel the best  I  have since the operation,

All great news bud. I have a question. Why the constant dialysis? Is it to give  your new kidney a break while it heals in?

They said that it started making urine almost immediately. Some need a jump start . They put a lot of fluid in you in a major surgery like this. My right leg  and abdomen where it was placed  is still swollen.With the last dailysis, they had taken 7 of fuid  out. Gives the new one a rest  while  being jump started.

One of the transplant crew couldn't make rounds this AM.so he talked to me at noon. Was recapping info  and talking nonchalant so it look like everything is going about normally. The conggestion is partially from fluid, and I also have the flu.

• Like 3

found out i have 36 staples! had then counted when I got to rehab. Thought I  had maybe 8-9. from navel to groin.

• Wow 1

mead107

I could come pull them out with needle nose pliers. 😎

I will only charge you $500 a staple. 
🤣

• Facepalm 1

Fansince88

Pretty sadistic if you are willing to pay 500$ per staple to pull them. 

doc says they will be in for another week. Im fat and they don't want it to open.

• Like 3

CarpetCrawler
On 3/7/2024 at 5:10 PM, Wacka said:

Kidneys working OT. Went already >1 L  since 6 AM. O2 problem resolved.  Nice appetite. Having pizza for dinner. just took out port for dialysis. and not replacing it. want to see if healed up OK for a day. Stil have a central line  in left arm. Stopped heparin. Have to give me and a caregiver (my sis) a 5 hr class to what lies ahead. So could leave ECMC tomorrow or the weekend. Going to  terrace view Rehab (attached to ECMC).

Were you urinating before? That's damn quick for the new kidney to kick in, you're definitely way above the average for that. 

So glad your outcome is this positive.

• Like 2