Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Wacka: I'm OK!

Wacka

Fansince88
9 hours ago, Wacka said:

I was urinating the same as always. Had one kidney since age 4 (1961)The director of the transplant program was in on the operation and said the new one was producing urne as soon as it was connected. It fully woke up last week Friday.  Was the last day I had dialysis.Since 4 AM tonight,I produced about 1/2L of urine. Using a urinal so they can measure it.All the docs have smiles. I'm one of 11 they did in February. Last year they did about 120-130 at ECMC.

Do you say this when the nurse gives you the urinal? Please say yes....

• Like 2

Been at rehab since Friday afternoon. It isTerrae View, which is connected to ECMC. Haven't been outside since Valentines Day. Because of the weeend, didn't do anything util yesterday. Had first checkup  Wake me at 7:30  Help me wash up  and I'm back at the kidney floor a little after 8.That was breakfast time so they had it waiting for me. Get back to the room and as soon as i am back in bed, PT comes to take me there. About an hour of  PT and it is noon. Lunch time and a two hour nap.  All morning and early afternoon, poof -went like that. Right now, waiting for PT for today.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

After PT today, they are given me unrestrcited access.  in my room.  Which means I can walk to the  bathroom  without them observing me.  Vitals this morning were all  normal.  BP 127/72, heart rate and temp normal, O2 at 98% with no O2 canola since Mon Morn. Weight is exactly what it was when

i came in Feb 14. It is up to the transplant team to send me home Still need moe PT to rebuild stamina and strength.

Edited by Wacka
  • Like 4
  • Cheers 1

Fansince88
3 hours ago, Wacka said:

After PT today, they are given me unrestrcited access.  in my room.  Which means I can walk to the  bathroom  without them observing me.  Vitals this morning were all  normal.  BP 127/72, heart rate and temp normal, O2 at 98% with no O2 canola since Mon Morn. Weight is exactly what it was when

i came in Feb 14. It is up to the transplant team to send me home Still need moe PT to rebuild stamina and strength.

All great news. Keep  pressing forward!

mead107
3 hours ago, Wacka said:

Awesome 👏 keep up the great job 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Came home yesterday(Tuesdy 3/19) about 3 PM.! Fom rehab went next door t0 transplant clinic  at ECMC. Some labs and then they took out central line and some stapes. Didn't feel anything (if you never had staples). Director of the transplant unit came in and took out the rest. Then meeting dietician about healthy diet. No more grapefruit or pomegranate ever, They inactivate the anti-rejection meds,  Then   a pharmacist and we filled my pill caddy, About a dozen  moreing and evening and several more during day. Them back to rehab to pick up mt stuff.

It is not a few day stay unless you are young and healthy  besides the kidney. They do not remove the kidney, but place it hear where your appendix is.If you need dialysis, it doesn't hurt.You just lay there and maybe get a 3 hour nap.What hurts is recovering from the operation.

Edited by Wacka
  • Like 5
  • Cheers 2

Posted (edited)

See I haven't  updated this for a few weeks. went through 6 days of rehab. No pain in abdomen. Removed staples and centra line on that day and went home. At home I have to record my weight, BP, temp, glucose level (steroid I am taking can mess it up). Normal (~100 in AM) and about 170 in evening-haven't needed insulin. fluid intake and outflow. Visiting nurse came Wed, Sat and Mon. OT came Monday and today. Tomorrow, going to ECNC transplant center for weekly visit for ultrasound of kidney snd labs. Going to get a script for a shower chair and pick one up. Then to pick up my new glasses. Prescription was 4 years old and they broke while I was in rehab. Then thursday to seee ny primary doc. I can get up and down stairs to my second floor apt. but need  to be careful. Hope to drive to my sister's  on Easter. Take about 20 pills in AM and 15 just before bed and a few more during the day. 6 of them in morning and night are anti rejection meds.

I made spaghetti and meatballs  yesterday.Am getting around better every day.

Edited by Wacka
  • Like 3
  • Cheers 3
  • FANtastic 1
  • Love 1

mead107
1 hour ago, Wacka said:

See I haven't  updated this for a few weeks. went through 6 days of rehab. No pain in abdomen. Removed staples and centra line on that day and went home. At home I have to record my weight, BP, temp, glucose level (steroid I am taking can mess it up). Normal (~100 in AM) and about 170 in evening-haven't needed insulin. fluid intake and outflow. Visiting nurse came Wed, Sat and Mon. OT came Monday and today. Tomorrow, going to ECNC transplant center for weekly visit for ultrasound of kidney snd labs. Going to get a script for a shower chair and pick one up. Then to pick up my new glasses. Prescription was 4 years old and they broke while I was in rehab. Then thursday to seee ny primary doc. I can get up and down stairs to my second floor apt. but need  to be careful. Hope to drive to my sister's  on Easter. Take about 20 pills in AM and 15 just before bed and a few more during the day. 6 of them in morning and night are anti rejection meds.

I made spaghetti and meatballs  yesterday.Am getting around better every day.

Awesome 

thanks for the update. 

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Three week post discharge update. Went to ECMC for labs. In and out in 1 hour.  Been walking around  house without walker.  Been up and down stairs without sitting on landing except this AM. Light is at bottom of stairs and it was dark enough that I didn't want to misstep. Finally took a shower. No more sponge baths! Will try driving  today. 

All vitals are in normal range. Visiting nurse made last visit yesterday. PT coming tomorrow. Have lost 40 lbs since my highest weight in 2022. Have lost 20 lbs since the transplant. I weigh what I did 10 years ago! Reduced BP med because it was at low end of normal. Reduced diuretic because  I am dehydrated (wrinkly now). Next week don't have to see docs, just get labs done.  Visits will be every two weeks now.

On 29th, will get a biopsy of new kidney. Creatinine level is down to 2 and holding (was at 5 before transplant). 1 is ideal for two healthy kidneys.  Doc said that 2 may be my base level now. 

Edited by Wacka
  • Like 5
  • Applause 1