Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Those that get snow, do you do your own shoveling?

mead107

5 hours ago, Nanker said:

I just brought my snow blower into the garage from the shed where I keep it 8 months out of the year. 

What gas ️ do you use? 

2 hours ago, mead107 said:

What gas ️ do you use? 

I’ll have to check. regular. It’s a toro built 5.4 24”. I hate you now for making me go half schnocknored out I to the garage to check on the details. 

Edited by Nanker

Just now, Nanker said:

I’ll have to check. regular. It’s a toro built 5.4 24”. I hate you now for making me go half schnocknored out I to the garage to check on the details. 

Growing up in Buffalo area we had a fairly long driveway.  Didn't shovel unless we couldn't drive through it and we weren't bashful about driving through it.  Plow?  Almost never. 

Fast forward living in illinois, people 'round here have their entry level snowblowers out at the first sign of flakes.  Much less snow here during the winter than in Buffalo. 

• Like 1

Nouseforaname

Growing up, we shoveled our own snow.  We couldn't really afford to pay anyone.

I live in an apartment with indoor parking but we pay for my mothers house and the rental property to have the snow removed.

• Like 1

Hitbyaparkedcar

Yes. Still do. Have a mower attached front blower and the tracked 3x impeller blower beast for walk behind. We get hammered regularly (just on the edge of tug hill) so there are times that it takes 2.5-3 hrs to clear each snow event.

On 11/18/2020 at 1:43 PM, mead107 said:

Guy left a paper on the mailbox this morning. 
will plow the driveway for $30. Per snowfall. 

We have a long, winding driveway on a hill, so when we first moved here we arranged for a local guy to do it for $45 per snowfall. 

Turns out, I haven't had to call him once. I'm surrounded by neighbors with tractors who can't wait to start plowing shit the minute they see snow falling. It's like a race to these guys to see who can plow the most first.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We had some snow yesterday but it barely stuck to the sidewalk and was completely melted everywhere by late afternoon. I would not mind an entire winter like that.

• Like 1

Well, it took over an hour but I got the driveway and (public) sidewalks done.

We got about 10 to 12 inches.

Dean Martin and I are gonna have a little talk about this "Let it Snow" business.

• Haha 1

Between 2-3 inches here going into the afternoon with the system behind us.  Driving late yesterday afternoon the roads were actually poor as the 18 degree over night temps made for ready freezing of the incoming snow.  I drove almost 35 miles yesterday at 25 MPH in a pickup with high traction tires.  I would have stayed home but I needed to take a component in to be serviced so it would make my snow removal equipment ready for this morning.

Got about 6” of snow.

I shoveled when it was only 2” and still coming down last night. Then the next 4” fell overnight, and about an inch of rain on top of that, then the temp fell to only 30 degrees. Wet, heavy, refrozen. That’s our standard snowfall around here. Even the guys with the snowblowers were working hard. 

leh-nerd skin-erd
6 hours ago, mead107 said:

Let it snow ❄️ let it snow ️ let it snow 

OK IT CAN STOP NOW 

We ended up with what looks like about 24-30" in our neck of the woods.  I can't recall a snowfall with that type of accumulation in some time--I knew we were in trouble when I saw the tell tale snow blanket that started on the top of the car and was thick all the way to the ground.

I also got stuck for the first time in decades.  I downsized to a Jeep Cherokee last year and with the ice/snow accumulation on the road, I got stuck in front of my house and then again in front of my office. 

I can't wait to spend winters in Florida.  This sucks, but on the bright side there are only 465 days until spring. 

• Haha 1