Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

2021 Hall of Fame Candidates [Class Announced]

Ann

Modern-Era Player Semifinalists for Class of 2021 Revealed

Four first-year eligible players – Jared Allen, Calvin Johnson, Peyton Manning and Charles Woodson – are among the 25 Semifinalists for the Pro Football Hall of Fame’s Class of 2021.

The list also includes four players – Eric Allen, Willie Anderson, Cornelius Bennett and Rodney Harrison – who are Semifinalists for the first time although previously eligible for the Hall of Fame. All other players on the 2021 list have been a Semifinalist at least one other time.

</snip>

The list of Semifinalists, which also was announced live today on NFL Network, was reduced from an initial group of 130 nominees announced in September. The next step in the Selection Process comes when the Semifinalists are trimmed to 15 Modern-Era Finalists. That list increases to 18 Finalists with the inclusion of the recommended nominees of the Hall of Fame’s Coach, Contributor and Senior Committees: Tom Flores, Bill Nunn and Drew Pearson, respectively.

</snip>

Steve Tasker is also on the list.

• FANtastic 1

Boy, that's some list.  Hard to argue against any of them.  I was really surprised to find out Clay Matthews wasn't already in Canton.  That dude was a beast for almost 2 decades.

All of the "other nominees" should be in as well.  Drew Pearson has long been overlooked but he was a great WR in that era.

Not to be contrary A.D.,

But off of that list of 25 I would only put Boselli, Manning, Lynch, and Charles Woodson automatically in.

I am tired of the "Hall of pretty good for a few years"

We see it in MLB also.

41 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Not to be contrary A.D.,

But off of that list of 25 I would only put Boselli, Manning, Lynch, and Charles Woodson automatically in.

We see it in MLB also.

For me the only automatics are Manning and Woodson. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ann said:

For me the only automatics are Manning and Woodson. 🤷‍♀️

And Megatron... He was the best for a lot of years and still retired with some mile left in the tank... 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, B-Man said:

Not to be contrary A.D.,

We see it in MLB also.

Boselli? Really?

Tasker should be in the HOF.  He redefined the ST roles and was the best at it.  Time for a ST player to be in the HOF.

Bennett was very good and a great Bill.  I have his jersey hanging in my den.  That said, not sure HOF quality.  I think Talley meant more to the SB teams than Bennett even through Bennett had more talent.

• Like 3
  • FANtastic 2

2 hours ago, Nanker said:

Tasker should be in the HOF. The NFL changed a rule on returns because of his cunning. He was a 50 caliber bullet hitting pumpkins at close range.

To add onto that, the NFL also created a special Pro Bowl ST position specifically for him.

The HoF should be for players who made such a contribution, they changed the game. You can't rationally say Tasker didn't change the game.

Of course, rationality is lost on those media &#%$heads who vote players in.

• Like 4
  • Cheers 1

On 11/25/2020 at 7:04 PM, Koko said:

To add onto that, the NFL also created a special Pro Bowl ST position specifically for him.

The HoF should be for players who made such a contribution, they changed the game. You can't rationally say Tasker didn't change the game.

Of course, rationality is lost on those media &#%$heads who vote players in.

That's great he is being considered again. I thought I heard last year was his last of elegability. Also, Clay Matthews has only been retired 2 years. Thought you had to be for 4?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Fansince88 said:

That's great he is being considered again. I thought I heard last year was his last of elegability. Also, Clay Matthews has only been retired 2 years. Thought you had to be for 4?

That’s his son Clay Matthew’s III. Clay Matthew’s Jr. retired in 1996. The rule is they have to be retired for five years. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Nanker said:

That’s his son Clay Matthew’s III. Clay Matthew’s Jr. retired in 1996. The rule is they have to be retired for five years. 

Ahhhhh!!!

Peyton Manning, Charles Woodson, and Megatron deserve to be first ballot HoF.  But Manning is one of those generational players who will dominate the ceremony. 

This year Canton is Peyton's place.  One of the WRs (probably Reggie Wayne because of his ties to Manning).  Either Boselli or Fanaca gets a yellow jacket, and one Sam Mills or Clay Matthews Sr.  I'd like to think Tasker gets in, but we've all seen this movie before

Looking at the 2022 list of first year eligible players, nobody stands out:

https://hofexperiences.com/blog/hall-of-fame-class-of-2022-first-year-eligible-players

Megatron and Woodson headline 2022

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Great to hear Biscuit reminiscing about the glory days. He was a dominant force for a period of time. Not sure if he was for long enough to get into Canton though.

• FANtastic 1

On 11/27/2020 at 7:28 AM, Nanker said:

Yeah, that threw me for a second as well.  Then I checked the family lineage on ProFootball Reference, holy cow there should be a HoF entry for the spawning sperm & egg.

Family Tree:

Clay Matthews Sr - 4 seasons 

Clay Matthews Jr - 19 seasons

Bruce Matthews - 19 seasons

Clay Matthews III - 11 seasons

Jake Matthews - 7+ seasons 

Casey Matthews - 4 seasons 

Kevin Matthews - 3 seasons 

Mike Matthews - 4 seasons on various PS

Troy Niklas -  4 seasons

• Like 3

You Dirty Rat

IMO Tasker was a first year selection but there were so many Bills to choose from he kind of was lost in the crowd of Bills greats.

I do believe this is the year.

I'm honestly amazed that Clay Matthews Jr.  is not in the Hall of Fame.  He was a great player for a very, very long time.  He finished his career with around 70 sacks, which is amazing because the first part of his career, sacks weren't a statistic.  He was the model of consistency on some very,very good teams.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

I'm honestly amazed that Clay Matthews Jr.  is not in the Hall of Fame.  He was a great player for a very, very long time.  He finished his career with around 70 sacks, which is amazing because the first part of his career, sacks weren't a statistic.  He was the model of consistency on some very,very good teams.

As a Bills fan, I don't mind that he's not in HoF 🙂