Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Lions fire Coach and GM

mead107

2 minutes ago, Nanker said:

I’m no fan of Matt Patricia, but that is surprising. Who’s the interim HC?

offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell will serve as the Lions interim coach, per a source.

just found this on NFL

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Nanker said:

I’m no fan of Matt Patricia, but that is surprising. Who’s the interim HC?

Agreed. I think we all saw it coming at the end of the season, but now? Surprising.

• Like 1

Just now, Ann said:

Agreed. I think we all saw it coming at the end of the season, but now? Surprising.

Maybe they want to get a head start on poaching a coach and GM. 

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Nanker said:

Maybe they want to get a head start on poaching a coach and GM. 

Must permission be granted from teams to chat about a HC position? I "think" so, but am not positive. What about the GM? Same?

Officially they can’t contact a coach that’s under contract until their season is over. I think that got loosened up a bit a few years ago because desperate owners couldn’t wait for a hot prospect to finish taking their team deep into the off season. 

Usually there are some out of work GMs or candidates that could be hired. The GM/HC relationship is key and typically the GM wants to hire his guy. It worked out well in Buffalo in the opposite sequence, but McDermott and Beane were buddies for some time and are quite comfortable working together (unlike say, Maroon and Whaley). 

Would not be surprised if they look to the college ranks.  Hard to believe but a few coaches have ethics and would not discuss a job if already occupied. 

I feel badly for Stafford. He doesn't have much time left, and it's a crap shoot as to what a new GM and HC will do to this team. They have holes all over the place and it's going to take more than new management to turn it around quickly.

• Like 1

When you see players celebrating it on social media, you know you already waited far too long.  No reason not to rip off this ugly bandaid;  Patricia was only going to keep doing more damage.

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

When you see players celebrating it on social media, you know you already waited far too long.  No reason not to rip off this ugly bandaid;  Patricia was only going to keep doing more damage.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/nfl-lions-reportedly-celebrated-away-matt-patricia-2018-mimosa-party-cam-newton-dance-215302941.html

33 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

I pretty much feel bad for everyone who's played for Detroit.  Sanders, Megatron, Stafford...

Megatron is one of my favorite players of all time.  His career was short because he played in Detroit.  With his talent and size, he should have challenged the all time records for wide receivers but he didn't even make it 10 seasons before he decided the punishment wasn't worth it anymore.

On 11/28/2020 at 2:08 PM, Just Joshin said:

Would not be surprised if they look to the college ranks.  Hard to believe but a few coaches have ethics and would not discuss a job if already occupied. 

I can remember when a lot of folks were calling for Chip Kelly in Buffalo.
It's basically a crapshoot going from college to the pros.

1 hour ago, Uncle Joe said:

I can remember when a lot of folks were calling for Chip Kelly in Buffalo.
It's basically a crapshoot going from college to the pros.

I'm not sure it is.  Kelly's biggest problem was his unwillingness to adapt when the NFL started catching up with him.  He didn't deal with it in college because he almost always had superior athletes.  The story is the same for most guys who fail in the NFL.  They're married to what works because you can win 90%+ of your games just based on talent differential.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

I'm not sure it is.  Kelly's biggest problem was his unwillingness to adapt when the NFL started catching up with him.  He didn't deal with it in college because he almost always had superior athletes.  The story is the same for most guys who fail in the NFL.  They're married to what works because you can win 90%+ of your games just based on talent differential.

That is a part of it. Another factor is being able to coach a variety of elite talent at the next level.
Pro athletes are a diverse group of talented athletes.