Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

NFL Sunday, December 13, 2020; Week 14

Ann

57 minutes ago, Ann said:

Baltimore 47, Cleveland 42

this game was wild

Great game. Having Jackson come out of the locker room on 4th and 5 to throw a TD was pretty epic.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

Great game. Having Jackson come out of the locker room on 4th and 5 to throw a TD was pretty epic.

"a Paul Pierce"

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Ann said:

"a Paul Pierce"

"Why did you need a wheelchair to go to the bathroom?"

"It was that bad."

"You were streaking?"

Never saw that (don't follow NBA) but man was that a funny sequence.

An interesting benefit of watching last night's game, by the way, was seeing how much Allen has progressed over Lamar and Mayfield. They both had really good games last night, but they also struggled to make some reads and throws that were very obvious. 

That said, it has to be infuriating to watch your team do a great job driving down the field to take the lead, only to watch your defense let the opponent score almost effortlessly. Only to see your team drive to take the lead again, only to watch your defense let a guy come out of the locker room and throw a TD on a fourth and 5 when the D should haven't ended the game.

The Browns aren't really in a position to live in the AFC North and remain unable to figure out how to stop Lamar.

There was a fan in the stands last night after that loss who looked like he was going to take a rifle and head to the Browns locker room.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

There was a fan in the stands last night after that loss who looked like he was going to take a rifle and head to the Browns locker room.

I saw that fan and those other Browns fans last night. Oh so happy to be removed now from that feeling of despair having victory snatched from your grasp.

yes I remember Az

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

An interesting benefit of watching last night's game, by the way, was seeing how much Allen has progressed over Lamar and Mayfield. They both had really good games last night, but they also struggled to make some reads and throws that were very obvious. 

That said, it has to be infuriating to watch your team do a great job driving down the field to take the lead, only to watch your defense let the opponent score almost effortlessly. Only to see your team drive to take the lead again, only to watch your defense let a guy come out of the locker room and throw a TD on a fourth and 5 when the D should haven't ended the game.

The Browns aren't really in a position to live in the AFC North and remain unable to figure out how to stop Lamar.

Was Greggo back consulting Browns' D on the 4th down play?  How do you leave their fastest WR single covered and allow him to get behind the coverage?

45 minutes ago, GG1 said:

Was Greggo back consulting Browns' D on the 4th down play?  How do you leave their fastest WR single covered and allow him to get behind the coverage?

Once Lamar rolled to his right and had room to run, it looked like everyone moved up to fill the gaps. He had the first down easy, so I was really surprised to see him throw a ball to a guy who had been dropping them all night. Not to mention (and I'm no expert on QB play) but watching Lamar throw a football is just weird, and when you have -6 yards passing near the end of the half, any throw he makes is creepy.

His throwing motion is just odd to me. And not like a Philip Rivers odd. When you watch him, it's like every time he throws the ball he puts a special super magical spin on the ball and his inside voice yells "Ta da!" like a magician pulling a fake bouquet of flowers from his inside pocket.

Just throw the effin' ball, Lamar.

And then he makes a throw like that last night and he's the toast of the town for another week.

Just now, IDBillzFan said:

Once Lamar rolled to his right and had room to run, it looked like everyone moved up to fill the gaps. He had the first down easy, so I was really surprised to see him throw a ball to a guy who had been dropping them all night. Not to mention (and I'm no expert on QB play) but watching Lamar throw a football is just weird, and when you have -6 yards passing near the end of the half, any throw he makes is creepy.

His throwing motion is just odd to me. And not like a Philip Rivers odd. When you watch him, it's like every time he throws the ball he puts a special super magical spin on the ball and his inside voice yells "Ta da!" like a magician pulling a fake bouquet of flowers from his inside pocket.

Just throw the effin' ball, Lamar.

And then he makes a throw like that last night and he's the toast of the town for another week.

Watching last night,  I was shocked when Jackson pulled out the game on his arm.  Calling his throwing motion odd is being kind. The man is a dynamic athlete, but not a QB whose arm I'd want to place a game winning drive on (it worked last night, but shesh Cleveland's defense was abysmal).  Can he become that QB? I donno.

3 minutes ago, Ann said:

Watching last night,  I was shocked when Jackson pulled out the game on his arm.  Calling his throwing motion odd is being kind. The man is a dynamic athlete, but not a QB whose arm I'd want to place a game winning drive on (it worked last night, but shesh Cleveland's defense was abysmal).  Can he become that QB? I donno.

Pat Kirwan yesterday was talking about how Jackson works for the Raven's plans right now, but he's just not the long-term QB because he isn't really a QB. You can't take hits like Lamar does and last. RBs don't last long, and neither will Lamar. But that said, Kirwan's point was to just let him do what he does for the next year or two as you figure out your next QB.

Edited by IDBillzFan

13 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

Pat Kirwan yesterday was talking about how Jackson works for the Raven's plans right now, but he's just not the long-term QB because he isn't really a QB. You can't take hits like Lamar does and last. RBs don't last long, and neither will Lamar. But that said, Kirwan's point was to just let him do what he does for the next year or two as you figure out your next QB.

Jackson should study what Josh has done. Maybe it does not work for him, but as you say, beating up his body can only happen for so long before he's out of the league. I was watching an interview with Josh a few weeks ago where he said something like (paraphrasing) I have to learn to slide more and not take the hit. I'm 24 and my body probably shouldn't hurt like this right now.  He's learning. Lamar Jackson needs to learn, too.

1 hour ago, Ann said:

Jackson should study what Josh has done. Maybe it does not work for him, but as you say, beating up his body can only happen for so long before he's out of the league. I was watching an interview with Josh a few weeks ago where he said something like (paraphrasing) I have to learn to slide more and not take the hit. I'm 24 and my body probably shouldn't hurt like this right now.  He's learning. Lamar Jackson needs to learn, too.

Self-awareness is an important trait.  That being said, it's VERY rare for athletes to evolve the way Lamar Jackson will have to to have long term NFL success.  LJ is going to be 24 next month and his passing has remained consistently bad.  His stats this year are far worse than a year ago (fewer TDs per game, more turnovers, more sacks, lower completion percentage and YPP).

He's playing the lottery on when his carrier plummets like RG3's, not if.  He's got a tall mountain to climb if he wants to change that trajectory.