Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

How do you heat your house?

mead107

We have oil hot air in main house and the Inlaw apt and up stairs is electric. 
was a ranch before the addition. 

put a wood stove in the basement back in 83.  Never used it after 92. Took the chimney down in 2010 when I did the roof. 
Wood stove still in the basement. 

what do you have? 

Edited by mead107

Forced air

We have a wood-burning fireplace but the TV sits on the hearth (extension). This was so the dog could comfortably watch television (not kidding).  The dog passed away several years ago, but we never raised the TV, and never use that fireplace.

• Like 1

We have Forced air for the majority of the house.  We have (and use) a wood fireplace in the Living room. (Toasty)

and the add-on back room has electric.

• Like 1

We had this house built in 2017 and it had to conform to the new energy efficiency standards. We have natural gas forced air hear, central air, and a whole house backup generator. We had a gas fireplace with a fan that can heat the living room area. 

The house is so air tight that they installed a Honeywell switch for the guest bath ceiling fan that automatically turns it on for an hour each night at midnight to ensure an exchange of air. 

• Like 1

Just glanced again at the thread title on the listing screen, and I read it as, “How do you beat your horse?”

Sorry Mead107. I had been looking through the new Custom Emojis and I’m certain I was influenced by them. They’re a hoot by the way. 

:deadhorse:

Edited by Nanker
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

In Texas we have electric.  No issues but does it not seem to generate a warm heat.  Note sure that makes sense but it does not feel as warm.

In NY we use oil but now that just keeps the house from freezing while we are down south.  

Love the smell and sounds of a good wood stove but a pita to maintain.

• Like 1

Our house is probably from the 20s Had an old octopus gas powered furnace. In the mid 60s dad got a modern  (then) furnace. Now on the third since about 65.  When we moved in in 61 there was an old wood powered  kitchen stove in the basement that looked like it hadn't been used in years.  The basement walls are rocks piled up and covered with mortar.   We patched them up and painted in 91. Noticed that the area near one window was really worn. We realized that  that was where the coal chute was many many tears ago.

Edited by Wacka
  • Like 1

When we bought our house there was no useable heating system at all, so when we did the renovation in 2019 we installed a gas furnace w/ radiant floor heat.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, mead107 said:

We have oil in main house and the Inlaw apt and up stairs is electric. 
was a ranch before the addition. 

put a wood stove in the basement back in 83.  Never used it after 92. Took the chimney down in 2010 when I did the roof. 
Wood stove still in the basement. 

what do you have? 

Had radiant heating put in our floors throughout the house when we had it built. Was state of the art at time. I have a backup furnace just in case. Only use it for central air. 

• Like 1

Our last three homes have been new construction.

First one, west of Chicago was nat gas forced air.

Next one, in Charlottesville, was geothermal.

This one same area, heat pump/central air with three lp gas fireplaces if it gets really cold.

Would have liked to do geothermal again, but couldn't get it worked out.

• Like 1

Central heat-forced air from a fuel oil furnace.  Supplement with electric as needed.  My dream since I lived through the Rochester, NY ice storm w/o power for several days is fuel oil backed up by natural gas backed up by wood backed up by electric backed up by solar.  Screw Albany and whatever pols want me to live without heat if I built in 2021.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2021 at 10:20 AM, DC Tom said:

We don't.  Home heating increases a house's carbon footprint, which is both seditious and racist.

Seriously...it's &#%$ing freezing in here.

You can thank me for the warm Winter we are having. 

For 5 years, I heated my entire house with waste heat thrown off from my crypto mining farm. Three machines in the basement and ducted air into the forced air duct system heats 1400 sq ft so much that we have to crack windows if the temp gets above 30 degrees F.

• Cheers 1

On 1/14/2021 at 2:39 PM, Wacka said:

Our house is probably from the 20s Had an old octopus gas powered furnace. In the mid 60s dad got a modern  (then) furnace. Now on the third since about 65.  When we moved in in 61 there was an old wood powered  kitchen stove in the basement that looked like it hadn't been used in years.  The basement walls are rocks piled up and covered with mortar.   We patched them up and painted in 91. Noticed that the area near one window was really worn. We realized that  that was where the coal chute was many many tears ago.

One of my rentals still had the 1962 furnace in it. I was always reluctant to replace it, as with these older models, you could actually work on them yourself.  However the new tenet wanted AC so we bit the bullet and just installed new HVAC units.

• Cheers 1

CarpetCrawler

Natural gas, hot water baseboard heat. I had to replace the 1981 boiler 2 years ago. My plumber recommended a $150 accessory that monitors the outside temperature and on warmer days heats the water less to save money. Between the more efficient boiler and the regulator I'm saving $50-$75 a month in the winter. I also use programmable thermostats which saves a lot too.

For AC, there are a couple of monster 220v wall units and a couple of small window units upstairs in the bedrooms. I've always thought about having one of those split systems installed, but my electric bill is low in the summer, so I'm not feeling that motivated to do it yet.

Edited by CarpetCrawler
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Jabba The Hutt said:

Air Conditioner... In Florida even if temp hits 32 ever don't need heat in the house.

:classic_blink: You don't have a heat pump!? We had one up in St Augustine because it was cold in January. Cold.  (Because we were on the ocean we had to have the corrosion resistant heat plump + air conditioning unit.)

• Like 1