Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Stafford to Rams in Blockbuster trade

Virgil

Lions to trade Matthew Stafford to Rams in blockbuster deal involving Jared Goff, picks

Detroit will acquire Goff, 2021 third-round pick, 2022 first-round pick and 2023 first-round pick in exchange for Stafford, per Pelissero.

The deal will reunite Goff with new Lions GM Brad Holmes whom he knows well. The former Rams director of college scouting evaluated Goff coming out of California in 2016.

Pelissero noted that the Rams will inherit the two years, $43 million remaining on Stafford's contract, and the Lions will carry a $17.8 million dead cap hit in 2021.

Detroit will also inherit the four years and $106.6M remaining on Goff's contract. L.A. will carry a $22.2M dead cap hit in 2021.

• Cheers 1

Who the hell brokered this deal for the Rams...Bill O'Brien?

I love Matt Stafford. He can absolutely turn the Rams around. But two firsts AND Goff?

image.jpeg.83a6edebf44b96bfb45aade0f38a796c.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Ann said:

Highway robbery by the Lions

I don't know about that as there were apparently a lot of teams bidding.  I guess it comes down to your opinion of Stafford and Goff.  I think Stafford's a huge upgrade to Goff and it will show next year.  Stafford's had to navigate through a bunch of crappy situations in Detroit while Goff was able to benefit off of McVay after a terrible rookie year.  I think McVay was tired of having to scheme around Goff's weaknesses.  Stafford should easily have his best season next year and makes them viable Super Bowl contenders for at least the next few seasons.  What happens after that depends on their ability to find talent in the middle rounds.

Two first round picks are a lot but the Lions had to eat Goff's horrible contract for that draft capital.  Also, keep in mind those picks will pry be in the 20's or 30's because the Rams will pry be a Super Bowl contender through 2023 with this move.  I see it as a win/win trade that the Lions and Dan Campbell will eventually screw up.

Wow, wow. Didn't see this one coming.

The Rams get a 32 year old QB, 22.2mm in dead cap and roughly 21.5mm in salary cap for the next two years. Lose a third round pick this year and a first in '22 and '23.  The Lions get a 26 year old QB, 17.8mm in dead cap and roughly 26.65mm in salary cap for the next four years. While receiving those picks that the Rams gave up. 

Seems like a lot to me. Is Stafford that much better than Goff? Are Campbell and his staff talented enough to work with Goff and get the most out of him that McVay couldn't? We shall soon find out.

3 hours ago, Foxx said:

Wow, wow. Didn't see this one coming.

The Rams get a 32 year old QB, 22.2mm in dead cap and roughly 21.5mm in salary cap for the next two years. Lose a third round pick this year and a first in '22 and '23.  The Lions get a 26 year old QB, 17.8mm in dead cap and roughly 26.65mm in salary cap for the next four years. While receiving those picks that the Rams gave up. 

Seems like a lot to me. Is Stafford that much better than Goff? Are Campbell and his staff talented enough to work with Goff and get the most out of him that McVay couldn't? We shall soon find out.

Not when you weigh in the cap numbers in my humble opinion. That weighed in....Its a no for me!

11 hours ago, Ann said:

Highway robbery by the Lions

Yes but the crux is that they have to eat Goff's HUGE cap number, as well as getting

the picks.

19 minutes ago, snafu said:

I think that just took the market for Watson and set it on fire.

If I'm Jax, I trade the #1 straight up for Watson.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

Yes but the crux is that they have to eat Goff's HUGE cap number, as well as getting

the picks.

Yes but they can put the pieces around Goff while they’re paying that big salary and look for his replacement down the line. Not bad from their perspective. The Rams overpaid. They still need to pay Stanford and he’s older and not that much of an upgrade (IMO). 

1 minute ago, Seasons1992 said:

After Goff/Stanford, that’s not gonna get it done. 

I think the Jets are in the best spot, but the price went even higher than they thought it was on Friday. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

Watson has a no-trade clause.  He won’t approve a trade to the Jags

• Like 1

Stafford is the better QB with the better contract, but those 6 extra years have taken a lot of extra punishment.  

Can't see the extra ~$8MM in cap hit being enough to make Stafford 2 1st rounders + better than Goff.

But, do agree with those that expect Detroit to be able to squander the assets.

44 minutes ago, snafu said:

Yes but they can put the pieces around Goff while they’re paying that big salary and look for his replacement down the line. Not bad from their perspective. The Rams overpaid. They still need to pay Stanford and he’s older and not that much of an upgrade (IMO). 

After Goff/Stanford, that’s not gonna get it done. 

I think the Jets are in the best spot, but the price went even higher than they thought it was on Friday. 

The Lions must figure their window is 2 plus years into the future and that they will have a favorable contract situation with Goff.  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Watson has a no-trade clause.  He won’t approve a trade to the Jags

Could Houston have been more stupid in how they were run over the past 4 years? Seriously.......

58 minutes ago, snafu said:

The Rams overpaid. 

I don't disagree at ALL.

Detroit's gonna Detroit, and the Rams gonna Rams. 

What a wonderful problem for both of them that these Buffalo Bills don't have to sweat!

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

11 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

Who the hell brokered this deal for the Rams...Bill O'Brien?

I love Matt Stafford. He can absolutely turn the Rams around. But two firsts AND Goff?

image.jpeg.83a6edebf44b96bfb45aade0f38a796c.jpeg

Seems like a lot, but Rams figure it’s the only way to get over the hump and get rid of Goff’s contract.