Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Economy Thread

GG1

2022 was just the covid jobs coming back, no?

Gov’t Jobs Are Booming In Biden’s Economy, Data Shows

The number of jobs added to the U.S. economy has been increasingly inflated by public sector positions as the economy begins to cool, according to data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS).

The 327,000 public jobs added for the year as of August 2023 made up 17.4% of total jobs added, while the proportion was only 5% after the U.S. added 175,000 public sector jobs during that same time frame in 2022, according to the BLS. The U.S. added a total of 3,590,000 jobs from the start of 2022 to that August, which is far greater than the 1,884,000 added during that time span in 2023.

</snip>

• Cheers 1

CALIFORNIA GAS PRICES NEAR $6 A GALLON (Fox Business)

(see more in first reply below)

Prices in Alpine County, California, nearing $7 a gallon.

The average price for a gallon of regular gasoline in California hovered around $5.79 on Thursday, up 29 cents from a week ago and 54 cents from last month, according to data from AAA.

In some areas, costs are surging beyond the $6 mark, like in Long Beach, where prices are sitting at $6.06 a gallon. That's up 70 cents over the past month. Alpine County, on the state border with Nevada, is seeing the average price of gas nearing $7 per gallon, according to AAA data.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Foxx said:

O' Rly?

Like we haven't been in one since 2021? I mean when you take out housing, food, and energy, I suppose the inflation numbers aren't too bad.  :classic_dry: And then those job numbers that get "massaged" every 30 days and then adjusted down 30 days later are peachy-keen.

Yeah, things are just great.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Ann said:

Like we haven't been in one since 2021? I mean when you take out housing, food, and energy, I suppose the inflation numbers aren't too bad.  :classic_dry: And then those job numbers that get "massaged" every 30 days and then adjusted down 30 days later are peachy-keen.

But... it is a government shutdown that is going to cause a recession.

Now that you have your talking point, be sure and spread it everywhere you go.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Ann said:

It's not a recession if Corporate Media doesn't call it one

• Cheers 2

• 2 weeks later...

Target SEO talks about discretionary spending being down for 8 quarters now. Also talks about how even when buying groceries people are purchasing less units.

She asks him about theft, and he gives a PC answer.

Interview here.