Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Super Bowl Viewership Drops To Multi-Decade Low For NFL

Ann

So, what's the reason? People hated KC + Marsha? NFL is too "woke?"  People are tired of being lectured by athletes?

Since the delay in viewership reporting, people figured the ratings were going to be bad, I doubt anyone thought they'd be this bad.

Super Bowl Viewership Drops To Multi-Decade Low For NFL; Most Streamed Game Ever

There was a lot of history at Super Bowl LV on Sunday. Unfortunately, not all of it looks good when it comes to how many people actually watched  – and we’re not just talking about Nielsen’s unprecedented delay in getting the actual data out.

In figures released this morning by CBS Sports, the big game had a total audience of 96.4 million viewers on CBS and a bundle of platforms and outlets, according to Nielsen.

Confirming the suspicions that many had even going into the match-up between the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Kansas City Chiefs, that is the least watched Super Bowl in recent history.

With around 91.6 million viewers on CBS alone, the 2021 Super Bowl is still the most watched show of the past year. However, taking an 8% stumble from what Fox had on its broadcast network last year, the 55th Super Bowl distinctly had the smallest network audience since the very different TV era of 2006.

</snip>

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ann said:

So, what's the reason? People hated KC + Marsha? NFL is too "woke?"  People are tired of being lectured by athletes?

Since the delay in viewership reporting, people figured the ratings were going to be bad, I doubt anyone thought they'd be this bad.

Super Bowl Viewership Drops To Multi-Decade Low For NFL; Most Streamed Game Ever

There was a lot of history at Super Bowl LV on Sunday. Unfortunately, not all of it looks good when it comes to how many people actually watched  – and we’re not just talking about Nielsen’s unprecedented delay in getting the actual data out.

In figures released this morning by CBS Sports, the big game had a total audience of 96.4 million viewers on CBS and a bundle of platforms and outlets, according to Nielsen.

Confirming the suspicions that many had even going into the match-up between the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Kansas City Chiefs, that is the least watched Super Bowl in recent history.

With around 91.6 million viewers on CBS alone, the 2021 Super Bowl is still the most watched show of the past year. However, taking an 8% stumble from what Fox had on its broadcast network last year, the 55th Super Bowl distinctly had the smallest network audience since the very different TV era of 2006.

</snip>

As much as I would like to believe it is a backlash against being woke Goodell and others in the league office most likely believe the game lacked traditional powers such as Dallas, GB, Pittsburgh, and the Raiders (cough).  Or big market teams such as the Giants or Rams.  If you believe that the NFL is rigged then you have to believe that the memo is already going out to the refs that an AFC and NFC representative such as what I just mentioned above need to be shepherded to the promised land.

4 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

As much as I would like to believe it is a backlash against being woke Goodell and others in the league office most likely believe the game lacked traditional powers such as Dallas, GB, Pittsburgh, and the Raiders (cough).  Or big market teams such as the Giants or Rams.  If you believe that the NFL is rigged then you have to believe that the memo is already going out to the refs that an AFC and NFC representative such as what I just mentioned above need to be shepherded to the promised land.

Tampa Bay is the #11 TV market in the country.

2 minutes ago, Ann said:

Tampa Bay is the #11 TV market in the country.

Yes, but teams such as Pittsburgh, Dallas, Raiders have fans that greatly outmeasure their regional television markets.  SF, GB, NE as well and there are others as well that I didn't mention.

I'm sure it's some combination of cord-cutting, unlikable teams/players, and people growing tired of being told to feel bad about themselves instead of being entertained.

Probably doesn't help that it apparently wasn't a good game.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Koko said:

I'm sure it's some combination of cord-cutting, unlikable teams/players, and people growing tired of being told to feel bad about themselves instead of being entertained.

Well, Andy Reid naming one of his sons Britt was a slap at Green Hornet fans everywhere.

21 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Yes, but teams such as Pittsburgh, Dallas, Raiders have fans that greatly outmeasure their regional television markets.  SF, GB, NE as well and there are others as well that I didn't mention.

Well if that is the case, that country map where 20-something states were for Buffalo (before the championship games) the refs may have wanted to call a cleaner game during the AFCCG.

Note: the variety article says the NE area watched the game. Not sure if it was to cheer for Marsha, or boo at him.

13 minutes ago, Ann said:

Well if that is the case, that country map where 20-something states were for Buffalo (before the championship games) the refs may have wanted to call a cleaner game during the AFCCG.

Note: the variety article says the NE area watched the game. Not sure if it was to cheer for Marsha, or boo at him.

In terms of Marsha it was probably some of both.  The *Patriots have always had a complicated relationship with the people of New England.  To quite a number they will always be the redheaded step child that may brought home a 99 on their school test but will be scolded for not getting a 100.  Even today for many the *Patriots come after the Sox, Bruins, and Celtics.

1 hour ago, RochesterRob said:

This is purely speculation, but I would not be surprised to find out the decrease in viewership came not from the typical "Super Bowl = food and gathering" crowd -- you know, the people who care more about the commercials than the actual game -- but from traditional football fans who watched the wokeness get reduced to names on helmets and the occasional "End Racism" endzone graphics as the season wore on, but who also knew the NFL would take bring back its SJW billy club to beat the head of the bigger SB audience.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IDBillzFan said:

This is purely speculation, but I would not be surprised to find out the decrease in viewership came not from the typical "Super Bowl = food and gathering" crowd -- you know, the people who care more about the commercials than the actual game -- but from traditional football fans who watched the wokeness get reduced to names on helmets and the occasional "End Racism" endzone graphics as the season wore on, but who also knew the NFL would take bring back its SJW billy club to beat the head of the bigger SB audience.

i don't think it had anything to do with that, but i could be wrong.

I think lack of media for the two weeks preceding the game and lack of parties contributed . And i know this sounds stupid, but lack of squares at offices, bars, etc that would normally get someone to watch was gone too. 

I golfed maybe 3 times between Championship games and SB...with a total of 7 different guys, all NFL fans. Outside of 5 minutes on Saturday, did not talk about the Super Bowl at all.

• Like 1

Just now, plenzmd1 said:

i don't think it had anything to do with that, but i could be wrong.

I think lack of media for the two weeks preceding the game and lack of parties contributed . And i know this sounds stupid, but lack of squares at offices, bars, etc that would normally get someone to watch was gone too. 

I golfed maybe 3 times between Championship games and SB...with a total of 7 different guys, all NFL fans. Outside of 5 minutes on Saturday, did not talk about the Super Bowl at all.

Very possible.

I think what we can all agree on is that whatever the reason for the drop, the biggest megaphone will be sure to get out the message that it had nothing to do with NFL wokeness.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Koko said:

I watched the second half of Ghostbusters instead of the second half of the game.

Well clearly, with movie theaters closed, bars & restaurants at reduced capacity, libraries not allowing people inside, many gyms still closed, & winter weather reducing outdoor activity options for many; leaving people with little in the way of options for things to do besides watching TV, the cause of the lowered ratings must have been the lockdown & not the bashing people over the head with "wokeness" which MUST have boosted ratings as CBS & the advertisers insisted on rubbing peoples' noses in it.  :classic_dry:

• Like 2

15 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

Very possible.

I think what we can all agree on is that whatever the reason for the drop, the biggest megaphone will be sure to get out the message that it had nothing to do with NFL wokeness.

That's about the only certainty.  The pandemic has caused sports viewership to decline across all the major sports though since the pandemic so it will be interesting if this is a long term trend as people's habits have changed.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

That's about the only certainty.  The pandemic has caused sports viewership to decline across all the major sports though since the pandemic so it will be interesting if this is a long term trend as people's habits have changed.

is there speculation why that is? Counter intuitive to me..one would thing people are home more, they would watch more sports.

Having said that, i watched zero the NBA and NHL in the summer, and i usually watched both every day during the playoffs if i was home for last 5 years or so.

I watch little NBA regular season outside of the Wizards...and they stink so watching zero NBA.

And so far this year only watched Sabre games...so no NHL for me since last weekend

Edited by plenzmd1