Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Suspect in custody after three people killed and multiple injured in shooting at Oxford High School in Michigan

Foxx

They charged this kid with terrorism in Michigan, but Wisconsin didn't charge the adult in Wauesha with terrorism

35 minutes ago, Chandemonium said:

Watching the county prosecutor’s news conference now. Parents are being charged with involuntary manslaughter.

They wrote a positive note to President-elect Trump in 2016

</snip>

The decision to pursue criminal charges against James and Jennifer Crumbley—who posted an open letter online in 2016 thanking President-Elect Donald Trump for protecting “my right to bear arms”—is a rarity in the U.S. legal system, which seldom holds parents of school shooters accountable for their child’s actions.

</snip>

When alerts went out about a possible active shooter at Oxford High School, Jennifer texted her son, “Ethan, don’t do it,” McDonald said.

“Upon hearing there was an active shooter that day, James Crumbley went straight to his home to look for his gun,” she explained.

About 15 minutes later, Crumbley called 911 to report that his gun was missing from his house and “that his son could be the shooter,” McDonald said.

</snip>

48 minutes ago, Meazza said:

His mom also texted him and said “don’t do it.”

42 minutes ago, Ann said:

And she didn't call the police?  That explains the charges.

And also...

From what the prosecutor said in the presser, the “don’t do it” text was sent after news broke that there was an active shooter at the school. Earlier the same day of the shooting, the shooter was sent to either the school counselor or or principal (I don’t remember which she said it was) when his teacher found a note on his desk featuring violent drawings and expressions of suicidal/homocidal ideation. His parents were called to the school and told they had to get him in counseling within 48 hours, but they refused to take him out of school that day and never mentioned that he had access to a firearm or checked to see if he had it with him (I don’t know if the school asked either the student or parent if he had access to firearms). When the parents didn’t take him home, he was allowed to go back to class.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Chandemonium said:

From what the prosecutor said in the presser, the “don’t do it” text was sent after news broke that there was an active shooter at the school. Earlier the same day of the shooting, the shooter was sent to either the school counselor or or principal (I don’t remember which she said it was) when his teacher found a note on his desk featuring violent drawings and expressions of suicidal/homocidal ideation. His parents were called to the school and told they had to get him in counseling within 48 hours, but they refused to take him out of school that day and never mentioned that he had access to a firearm or checked to see if he had it with him (I don’t know if the school asked either the student or parent if he had access to firearms). When the parents didn’t take him home, he was allowed to go back to class.

So the parents left him in school where he didn't have access to a gun? Or did he already have the gun at school? Or, did he leave school (no one noticed?) to go home and get the gun?

The school tells them that their kid is a danger to others and they say "we'll get on that"?

Their kid is in custody and these parents flee the jurisdiction?

Parent Of The Year nominees, for sure.  Definite consideration for Parents of the Decade.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Ann said:

So the parents left him in school where he didn't have access to a gun? Or did he already have the gun at school? Or, did he leave school (no one noticed?) to go home and get the gun?

My understanding is that he already had the gun with him.

• Wow 1

1 minute ago, Chandemonium said:

My understanding is that he already had the gun with him.

Appreciate the information. What a horrible situation for those students who were killed or injured, and their families.

16 minutes ago, snafu said:

The school tells them that their kid is a danger to others and they say "we'll get on that"?

Their kid is in custody and these parents flee the jurisdiction?

Parent Of The Year nominees, for sure.  Definite consideration for Parents of the Decade.

It's still early in the investigation, but I'm not too upset at the charges against the parents at this time.

• Like 1

It’s a truly terrible situation all around. I don’t want to rush to judgement without all the facts, but based on the information available it seems like a major failure on the part of the school as well as the parents, although I understand why the school personnel weren’t charged and the parents were.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Chandemonium said:

It’s a truly terrible situation all around. I don’t want to rush to judgement without all the facts, but based on the information available it seems like a major failure on the part of the school as well as the parents, although I understand why the school personnel weren’t charged and the parents were.

I realize I’m drawing conclusions off really cursory facts.  If only half is true then people failed that kid in a big way and now innocents are dead. I’m not excusing what he did by an iota and at the same time I also hope he’s getting the treatment he should have had gotten before things turned tragic. 

• Like 3

They hid in Detroit? Did they think the police were just going to forget about them? 

Fugitive parents of suspected Oxford High School shooter found in Detroit

The parents of the Michigan teen who allegedly shot up his school earlier this week were found hiding in a Detroit warehouse early Saturday after leading authorities on a widespread manhunt, police said.

Jennifer and James Crumbley were arrested and booked into the Oakland County Jail after officers acting on a tip found them in a room inside the commercial building, Detroit Police Chief James White said.

“They appear to be hiding inside the building,” the chief told reporters.

</snip>

A reward of up to $10,000 was being offered for information leading to the capture of Jennifer and James each, US Marshals announced Friday night, as they released “Wanted” posters of the pair.

The charges for the couple — which experts said were very rare in such a case — stem from having purchased a gun for the teen in the days ahead of the shooting and for failing to take action when alerted to Ethan’s concerning behavior, according to prosecutors.

</snip>

On 12/3/2021 at 4:00 PM, Meazza said:

His mom also texted him and said “don’t do it.”

You'd think that instead of a text, this would be important enough to justify . . . an actual phone call? Or am I going out on a limb?

Nouseforaname
6 hours ago, Arm of Harm said:

You'd think that instead of a text, this would be important enough to justify . . . an actual phone call? Or am I going out on a limb?

No one calls anymore.  Welcome to 2021.  Maybe she should have posted it on TikTok and tagged him?

• Like 1