Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Supreme Court of the United States

Foxx

I see Stephen Breyer is going to step down as a SC justice. Dems are probably happy about this since they will get to put his replacement in and not have to worry about a vacancy coming up in the next presidential term. 

Justice Stephen Breyer, an influential liberal on the Supreme Court, to retire

The White House declined to comment before Breyer's official announcement. Asked whether Biden would honor his campaign pledge to nominate a Black woman to the court, press secretary Jen Psaki reiterated Biden's commitment to stand by that promise.

Breyer's decision to retire is a relief to liberal Democrats after seeing Republicans push through three nominees from President Donald Trump using some unprecedented tactics. Indeed, last year, some liberal groups publicly pressed Breyer to retire, even demonstrating in front of the Supreme Court. The justice, however demurred. In an interview with NPR, he said that the decision on when to retire "has many complex parts to it. I think I am aware of most of them and will consider them."

His decision to remain for another year was likely due in large part to the major issues the court was about to confront — abortion, guns, separation of church and state, and potentially affirmative action. These are all matters that he has strong feelings about, and he thought that his 27 years on the court might enable him to prevent a wild swing to the right. In the 2020 term, he had played just that role.

But this term, when compromise seemed to elude even his skilled hand, the 83-year-old justice decided it was time to step down. As he put it in an NPR interview in September that he does "not want to stay on the Supreme Court until I die."

The court's term ends this summer, and it's expected he'll retire then. ...

Crap Throwing Clavin

Also gives the administration the opportunity to have their nominee approved by the Senate before Republicans potentially take over in the mid-terms.  

3 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Also gives the administration the opportunity to have their nominee approved by the Senate before Republicans potentially take over in the mid-terms.  

I think that was why Breyer got retired

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, devnull said:

I think that was why Breyer got retired

Better that he got retired than Arkancided.... 

But the more I think about it, the more I think the perfect person for the job is Kamala Harris.... I know, she isn't qualified but either will anyone else they're going to consider. look at it as a compromise though, since she may get to cast the deciding vote in her ascension to the round table of justice. 

But then comes the good part, her replacement as VP which you know will be Hillary would have to be voted on by a 50-50 Senate with no deciding vote (the VP) available anymore. So the parties would actually have to work together or the nation might be stuck with Pelosi exercising the 25th so SHE can take the office a her majesty the Queen of Iescreme.

Makes even more sense now that we know she has decided to run for re-election doesn't it?

:popcorn2:

28 minutes ago, Cinga said:

Better that he got retired than Arkancided.... 

But the more I think about it, the more I think the perfect person for the job is Kamala Harris.... I know, she isn't qualified but either will anyone else they're going to consider. look at it as a compromise though, since she may get to cast the deciding vote in her ascension to the round table of justice. 

But then comes the good part, her replacement as VP which you know will be Hillary would have to be voted on by a 50-50 Senate with no deciding vote (the VP) available anymore. So the parties would actually have to work together or the nation might be stuck with Pelosi exercising the 25th so SHE can take the office a her majesty the Queen of Iescreme.

Makes even more sense now that we know she has decided to run for re-election doesn't it?

:popcorn2:

Hiliary would not have a problem with a 50-50 Senate as she could probably convince a few Republican Senators with a friendly fruit basket full of Memberberries from Epstein Island

Edited by devnull

3 minutes ago, devnull said:

Hiliary would not have a problem with a 50-50 Senate as she could probably convince a few Republican Senators with a friendly fruit basket full of Memberberries from Epstein Island

Oh, I know... But then the following enactment of the 25th will be highly entertaining! Sort of a damned if you do, damned if you don't... 

Edited by Cinga

Crap Throwing Clavin
3 minutes ago, Ann said:

And no small contributor to the upcoming party-line vote to confirm Breyer's replacement is that Biden/Harris will nominate a mulatto transgendered quadriplegic who's only "qualified" for the seat based on "woke" considerations.

• Like 1

Crap Throwing Clavin

76% of Americans are racist, and "the will of the majority" suddenly no longer matters to people trying to "save democracy."

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Roe V Wade is being over turned.

It's almost like they are lining up every single flash point to get the American populace to revolt. That, or the Pluto return is a real thing.

What is the end game? 

Billsandhorns
44 minutes ago, Foxx said:

Roe V Wade is being over turned.

It's almost like they are lining up every single flash point to get the American populace to revolt. That, or the Pluto return is a real thing.

What is the end game? 

Maybe state/federal legislatures should do their jobs. That is basically what the court said in the opinion

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

1 hour ago, Billsandhorns said:

Maybe state/federal legislatures should do their jobs. That is basically what the court said in the opinion

agreed. 

not saying there isn’t something else going on as foxx suggests,  but this is such a nothing burger for the baby shredder crowd. 

• Like 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
2 hours ago, Dubs said:

agreed. 

not saying there isn’t something else going on as foxx suggests,  but this is such a nothing burger for the baby shredder crowd. 

Not a "nothing-burger."  It's 50 times the work to get laws passed in all the states than it is to get a single federal court law or decision.  Same with gay marriage - it's easier to get one incorrect court decision than it is to get 50 states to change all their laws the way you want.

Isn't just social issues, either.  As I recall, Salomon Brothers got federal laws changed to enable their mortgage bond business, rather than get licensed and registered in all 50 states.  Everyone indulges that particular systemic abuse.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Not a "nothing-burger."  It's 50 times the work to get laws passed in all the states than it is to get a single federal court law or decision.  Same with gay marriage - it's easier to get one incorrect court decision than it is to get 50 states to change all their laws the way you want.

Isn't just social issues, either.  As I recall, Salomon Brothers got federal laws changed to enable their mortgage bond business, rather than get licensed and registered in all 50 states.  Everyone indulges that particular systemic abuse.

it’s meaningless if you want to get an abortion. So all the protesters and people freaking will either live in a state that allows human extraction or can drive to one that allows for human extraction. 

but yea, for the political crowd this is a big deal, agreed. 

Crap Throwing Clavin
17 minutes ago, Dubs said:

it’s meaningless if you want to get an abortion. So all the protesters and people freaking will either live in a state that allows human extraction or can drive to one that allows for human extraction. 

but yea, for the political crowd this is a big deal, agreed. 

Nope, even then a big deal.  Abortion is more common and prevalent in low-income demographics that don't have that sort of mobility.  

Note that I'm making neither a pro-life nor pro-choice observation; just a "Don't underestimate the impact of this" observation.

(And in case anyone's wondering...I'm pro-choice, but think this is the correct legal decision, as Roe v. Wade stripped away states' rights and created a new federal guarantee from whole cloth.  Same thing I think about gay marriage - voted for it in MD when it came on the ballot, but am dead-set against Obergefell - or the old Defense of Marriage Act, or any other federal definition of "marriage" that strips the states of their rightful authority.)

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Nope, even then a big deal.  Abortion is more common and prevalent in low-income demographics that don't have that sort of mobility.  

Note that I'm making neither a pro-life nor pro-choice observation; just a "Don't underestimate the impact of this" observation.

(And in case anyone's wondering...I'm pro-choice, but think this is the correct legal decision, as Roe v. Wade stripped away states' rights and created a new federal guarantee from whole cloth.  Same thing I think about gay marriage - voted for it in MD when it came on the ballot, but am dead-set against Obergefell - or the old Defense of Marriage Act, or any other federal definition of "marriage" that strips the states of their rightful authority.)

You’re suggesting that if a low income person living in Texas is dead set on getting an abortion that she won’t be able to find a way to CO, AZ, or CA or any of the majority of states that will permit abortions?  That instead of a $100 bus fare and 10 hour round trip they will give birth to a child they’d rather exterminate and raise it for years?