Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Biden Investigations

Foxx

6 hours ago, Taro T said:

Has Raskin lied or defamed him when not at the Capitol?  If so, he MIGHT have a possibility of winning a suit.  But he can't do a single thing about anything a Congress Critter says while in that buidling.  Probably can't sue even if it wasn't at the Capitol provided it was part of "official business."  Don't know about that; Clavin would know those details.

You can’t sue if they say was on the floor. It was one of his interviews (March 31st interview on MSNBC the Weekend)

Raskin “accused Mr. Bobulinski of being a Chinese or Russian spy and that Mr. Bobulinski has committed crimes, falsely impugning his credibility.” It further states that the congressman shared a clip of the MSNBC appearance on his social media page the following day, “republishing his false statements to an entirely new audience.”

• Like 1
  • Popcorn 1
  • Cheers 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
5 hours ago, Taro T said:

Has Raskin lied or defamed him when not at the Capitol?  If so, he MIGHT have a possibility of winning a suit.  But he can't do a single thing about anything a Congress Critter says while in that buidling.  Probably can't sue even if it wasn't at the Capitol provided it was part of "official business."  Don't know about that; Clavin would know those details.

At best, it's complicated.  The courts have established that the Speech and Debate clause is open to very broad interpretation, but also established that that interpretation has to be on a case-by-case basis.  That can start to get pretty weird (e.g. a Congressman protected against prosecution from bribery, for being bribed in the course of his legislative duties.  Court determined that only Congress could punish him for that.)  In this particular case, I think Raskin is immune from anything said in committee, and might be from anything said to the press.

But above and beyond that, there's Bobulinski's specious.  It's pretty lunatic.  He's taking general statements Raskin made ("GOP witnesses are Russian plants") and ascribing them to him personally.  Pretty sure libel has to be more specific than that - you can't sue me for calling you an idiot when I say "All people are idiots," for example.  I expect most of Bobulinski's complaint won't survive an initial hearing.  

• Popcorn 1
  • Cheers 2

• 2 weeks later...

New bank accounts of the Biden family have been found which were used with the sole purpose of receiving money being laundered from China, Romania, and Russia as a result of the family’s influence peddling while Joe was Vice President, with over $240,000 in checks being directly wired to Joe Biden with no explanation of what services were provided in exchange for the payments.

• Popcorn 1
  • Cheers 2

IDBillzFan
On 5/16/2024 at 9:26 AM, Ann said:

They really need to hammer this.

The left is notorious for standing on the argument that "if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to worry about."

So he must really sounds like an incoherent drunk on these tapes. You can imagine one of the conversations is something like:

Hur: Mr. President, thanks for meeting with me. We hope you're nice and cozy.

Biden: Bosie? Eaten by cannibals. No joke! Same war where my son was killed!

• Like 1