Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

General Game Day Thread Week 15 (2022)

Foxx

Some AFC notes:

First and foremost, Buffalo can clinch a playoff position this week by simply beating the Dolphins. They can also clinch with a tie but that involves the Chargers, *Patriots and/or Jets in a complicated set of formulas. Just squish the fish and be done with it!

After last weeks games, the Bills retain the #1 overall seed for the AFC Playoffs. Let's make sure it stays that way so the road to Super Bowl LVII runs through Buffalo!

KC is the #2 seed followed by the Ravens at #3, Titans in the #4 position, the Bengals at #5, Dolphins at #6 and the *Patriots have moved up into the #7 seed. On the outside looking in are the Chargers at #8. The Jets have slipped all the way to #9 and the Jaguars have moved up to the #10 position. 

The Chiefs failed to clinch a playoff position last week because the Chargers beat the Dolphins. This week is a bit simpler, KC can clinch with a win, or a LA loss.

We have decided to include the Jaguars and Chargers in these notes because they are in the playoff picture now. 

The Jags getting in is not as unlikely as it seems, they would probably have to do so as division winner though. The Titans are 7-6 and the Jags are 5-8. Two game lead with four to go is kind of big but the Titans have not been playing good football of late. They lost to the Jags this past weekend and have a tough schedule the next three weeks with the only likely winner being against the Texans in Tennessee. Good chance they lose at the Chargers and at home against the Cowboys before meeting the Jaguars again to close out the season. Conversely, the Jags get the Cowboys at home, travel to Jersey to play the Jets, before playing the Texans in Houston. If they can somehow go 2-1 over that span, and the Titans falter, they set up a winner takes the AFCS showdown the final week of the season in Jacksonville.

Other Playoff Race Notes:

In the NFC, Minnesota can clinch the NFCN with a win or a Detroit loss. San Fran clinches the NFCW with a win and Dallas can clinch a playoff berth with a win, or a number of several other scenarios, if they tie.

Can the Panthers catch the Buccaneers for first place in the NFCS? Carolina is one game back with 4 to play. The Buccs and Panthers both have home games this weekend. They play the Bengals and Steelers, respectively. If the stars align, and there is probably an even chance or better of that happening, due to the Carolina beating Tampa Bay back in October, the Panthers would move into first by virtue of head-to-head play. They still have one more contest against each other, on New Years Day. There is a distinct possibility that the winner of the NFCS will be sub-.500? Stay tuned.

ESPN's Playoff Machine is up and running. Have fun!

Noted AFC Stats:

Defensively -

Bills are 9th in total defense (19th pass; 4th rush) and 2nd in points allowed @ 17.0 pg

*Patriots are 6th in total defense (9th pass; 12th rush) and 5th in points allowed @ 18.4 pg

Jets are 3rd in total defense (4th pass; 13th rush) and 6th in points allowed @ 18.7 pg

Dolphins are 20th in total defense (23rd pass; 7th rush) and 23rd in points allowed @ 24.0 pg

Offensively -

Bills are 2nd in total offense (6th pass; 8th rush) and 4th in points scored @ 27.2 pg

*Patriots are 24th in total offense (21st pass; 23rd rush) and 18th in points scored @ 21.2 pg

Jets are 19th in total offense (15th pass; 20th rush) and 22nd in points scored @ 20.3 pg

Dolphins are 7th in total offense (2nd pass; 29th rush) and 9th in points scored @ 24.3 pg

Defensively - 

Chiefs are 15th in total defense (22nd pass; 6th rush) and 19th in points allowed @ 22.9 pg

Titans are 24th in total defense (31st pass; 3rd rush) and 12th in points allowed @ 21.2 pg

Ravens are 12th in total defense (26th pass; 2nd rush) and 8th in points allowed @ 19.2 pg

Bengals are  14th in total defense (20th pass; 11th rush) and 11th in points allowed @ 20.4 pg

Jaguars are  27th in total defense (28th pass; 14th rush) and 15th in points allowed @ 22.6 pg

Chargers are  23rd in total defense (13th pass; 28th rush) and 28th in points allowed @ 25.1 pg

Offensively - 

Chiefs are 1st in total offense (1st pass; 18th rush) and 2nd in points scored @ 29.5 pg

Titans are 29th in total offense (29th pass; 16th rush) and 26th in points scored @ 18.5 pg

Ravens are 14th in total offense (27th pass; 3rd rush) and 12th in points scored @ 23.2 pg

Bengals are  5th in total offense (4th pass; 24th rush) and 7th in points scored @ 25.8 

Jaguars are  11th in total offense (10th pass; 15th rush) and 15th in points scored @ 22.6  pg

Chargers are  12th in total offense (3rd pass; 31st rush) and 14th in points scored @ 22.7  pg

Remaining schedules

all week 18 games are TBD

Bills:

vs. Dolphins (Sat.)

@ Bears (Sat.)

@ Bengals (Mon.)

vs. *Patriots

*Patriots:

@Raiders

vs. Bengals (Sat.)

vs. Dolphins

@Bills

Dolphins: 

@ Bills

vs. Packers (Xmas)

@ *Patriots

vs. Jets

Jets:

vs. Lions

vs. Jaguars (Thurs.)

@ Seahawks

@ Dolphins

Chiefs:

@ Texans

vs. Seahawks (Sat.)

vs. Broncos

@ Raiders 

Titans:

@Chargers

vs. Texans (Sat.)

vs. Cowboys (Thurs.)

@ Jaguars

Ravens:

@Browns (Sat.)

vs. Falcons (Sat.)

vs. Steelers

@ Bengals

Bengals:

@Buccaneers

@ *Patriots (Sat.)

vs. Bills (Mon.)

vs. Ravens

Jaguars:

vs. Cowboys

@ Jets (Thurs.)

@Texans

vs. Titans

Chargers:

vs. Titans

@ Colts (Mon.)

vs. Rams (SNF)

@ Broncos

• Like 2
  • FANtastic 2

AFC East Games:

Dolphins @ Bills 8:15pm Est (Sat)                              Go Bills !

Lions @ Jets 1pm Est                                                  C'mon Lions

Patriots @ Raiders 4:05pm Est                                  The Raaaaaaiders

Other Games:

49ers @ Seahawks 8:15pm Est (Thurs)                      eh.       

Colts @ Vikings 1pm Est (Sat)                                     Go Vikes !

Ravens @ Browns 4:30pm Est (Sat)                            Brownies !

Eagles @ Bears 1pm Est                                               Bears !

Steelers @ Panthers 1pm Est                                       Carolina 

Chiefs @ Texans 1pm Est                                             Texas Miracle

Falcons @ Saints 1pm Est                                             Falcons (lower Philly Draftpick)

Cowboys @ Jaguars 1pm Est                                       Jags

Cardinals @ Broncos 4:05pm Est                                 eh

Titans @ Chargers 4:25pm Est                                     Chargers (?)

Bengals @ Buccaneers 4:25pm Est                              TIE

Giants @ Commanders 8:15pm Est                               NYG

Rams @ Packers 8:20pm Est                                         Rams

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, B-Man said:

AFC East Games:

Dolphins @ Bills 8:15pm Est (Sat)                              Go Bills !

Lions @ Jets 1pm Est                                                  C'mon Lions

Patriots @ Raiders 4:05pm Est                                  The Raaaaaaiders

Other Games:

49ers @ Seahawks 8:15pm Est (Thurs)                      eh.       

Colts @ Vikings 1pm Est (Sat)                                     Go Vikes !

Ravens @ Browns 4:30pm Est (Sat)                            Brownies !

Eagles @ Bears 1pm Est                                               Bears !

Steelers @ Panthers 1pm Est                                       Carolina 

Chiefs @ Texans 1pm Est                                             Texas Miracle

Falcons @ Saints 1pm Est                                             Falcons (lower Philly Draftpick)

Cowboys @ Jaguars 1pm Est                                       Jags

Cardinals @ Broncos 4:05pm Est                                 eh

Titans @ Chargers 4:25pm Est                                     Chargers (?)

Bengals @ Buccaneers 4:25pm Est                              TIE

Giants @ Commanders 8:15pm Est                               NYG

Rams @ Packers 8:20pm Est                                         Rams

AFC East Games:

Dolphins @ Bills 8:15pm Est (Sat)                              Go Bills ! Always

Lions @ Jets 1pm Est                                                  C'mon Lions Not as important now

Patriots @ Raiders 4:05pm Est                                  The Raaaaaaiders They are pumped up....let themselves down please

Chiefs @ Texans 1pm Est                                             Texas Miracle Ya never know

Ravens @ Browns 4:30pm Est (Sat)                            Brownies ! Holding my nose and agree. We need some space

Titans @ Chargers 4:25pm Est                                     Chargers (?) Dont care huge lead on them both

Bengals @ Buccaneers 4:25pm Est                              TIE Bucks win and Tom throwing out his shoulder We need some distance here

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Foxx said:

Should be interesting to see if the Seahawks can continue their surprising season tonight at home against the 9ers.

I'm thinking that for all the Brock Purdy hype, he's basically in the same position as Mike White (only Purdy has a better OLine).  Even if either team gets to the playoffs, their QB isn't going to take them very far.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, snafu said:

I'm thinking that for all the Brock Purdy hype, he's basically in the same position as Mike White (only Purdy has a better OLine).  Even if either team gets to the playoffs, their QB isn't going to take them very far.

Then again, the Niners were in the Super Bowl a few years ago with Jimmy G, so I still like their chances.

• Cheers 2

Jabba The Hutt
6 hours ago, snafu said:

That's why you ride McCaffrey... well, for other reasons too:classic_love:

• Facepalm 1

Niners D looks fast and tough. They beat up the Seahags. Wish we had a No.1 Tight End. Knox is about 3/4 of one, but he’s just not the real deal as much as it pains me to say it. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

O

5 hours ago, Nanker said:

Niners D looks fast and tough. They beat up the Seahags. Wish we had a No.1 Tight End. Knox is about 3/4 of one, but he’s just not the real deal as much as it pains me to say it. 

this is an interesting point. I saw what kittle did. Got me thinking. If we could get tight end to consistent clear middle or get open enough in the intermediate ranges could provide Allen some release on elbow for not trying to go longer ranges all the time. You look at what kittle and kelce do to give their quarterback a safety outlet. But, to be fair I seen Knox do a fair amount of blocking past few games. If Beasley return to form like past where was a safety outlet. Then that could serve like a tight end. But, then how about those speedy backs get open in the flat once in a while. We have seen flashes. Just my take. Feel free to poke holes in my theory :darth:

Edited by Rochesterny
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

News mike white ruled out of lions game ribs. Zach Wilson to start. The lions will not be a gimme. There in hunt for playoff spot. Go lions. On a personal level glad white is out don’t want anyone permanently damaged. Should never have come back in the bills game after first hit. My take anyway.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Nanker said:

I'm gonna add that I was wrong about McCaffrey. I thought he was damaged goods and that SF WAY overpaid for him.

If he were on the Bills...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

I'm gonna add that I was wrong about McCaffrey. I thought he was damaged goods and that SF WAY overpaid for him.

I hear you. But always wondered during trade deadline what it would have been like having trade for najee Harris. Hear me out the guy is 6’1. 232. Guy that could possibly ground and pound to pick up short yardage up the middle. Cook and singletary fast guys built for speed. Imagine Allen and Harris beating up the defense with that pounding :damcomp:. Would probably have to force safeties move up to support run. Anyways my thought

Edited by Rochesterny

1 hour ago, IDBillzFan said:

If he were on the Bills, I'm not sure we would know how to properly utilize him.

• Sad 2

McCaffrery could not stay healthy for entire season last couple of seasons and with a hefty pay was one of reason was traded.beside the fact team that trade him is looking rebuild. If he was a Bill. There would be then at least 2 back with similar styles. Not to mention he gets screen and short pass thrown to him. The Bills don’t do that as frequent so like pervious poster posed the question what would be the plan to use him. With scheme bills run don’t think he would as successful as he is in SF. That my opinion.

Edited by Rochesterny
  • Facepalm 1
  • Cheers 1