Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

2024 Draft (because why not?)

Deranged Rhino

Ninety-4
11 minutes ago, Ann said:

Beane has some ammo to get further up into the 2nd round and into the 3rd if he wants to.  

Edited by Ninety-4
  • Cheers 1

Spartacus

https://www.outkick.com/sports/nfl-draft-week-is-here-armando-salguero-2024-outkick-mock-draft

Bills Need Diggs Replacement

28. Buffalo: They could probably use some cornerback help because Tre'Davious White is gone and Kaiir Elam hasn't developed as expected. They also want help on the interior defensive line. But did you hear they traded Stefon Diggs? And Gabe Davis left in free agency? QB Josh Allen needs help. So the Bills must get Allen help or bye-bye AFC East title run because Mack Hollins ain't it. Bills pick: WR Adonai Mitchell (Texas).

29. Detroit: They traded for CB Carlton Davis, which seemingly addresses their need at the position, but did you know Davis has only one year remaining on his contract? And he's never played a full season in his six-year career? This was a draft flexibility move and the Lions address the full-blown need here. Lions pick: CB Kool-Aid McKinstry (Alabama).

30. Baltimore: John Harbaugh told us he has a depth chart, and it shows he's got some issues on the offensive line, most notably at right tackle. Luckily, there are RT candidates here, including Amarius Mims and J.C. Latham, both of whom played for top programs in the SEC. The question is which is a Raven in attitude, demeanor, work ethic? Ravens pick: RT Amarius Mims (Georgia).

31. San Francisco: If they're going to trade Brandon Aiyuk or even Deebo Samuel, this is the time. If that happens, they're adding WR help. If it doesn't, they should be looking at RT because that spot begs upgrade. Let's go with the offensive lineman, but remember a WR trade is on the table. 49ers pick: J.C. Latham (Alabama). 

32. Kansas City: The Chiefs struggled last season when their receivers led the NFL in drops. Not good. It doesn't escape them that Rashee Rice, their fine young receiver, faces charges and an eventual trial following his auto wreck while allegedly racing in Dallas. That's going to put his status for at least part of 2024 at risk. And that all speaks to the Chiefs addressing the WR spot. Chiefs pick: WR Xavier Legette (South Carolina).

KD in CA
10 hours ago, Ann said:

I like guys who have NFL bloodlines.  They usually come in with the knowledge of what it takes to succeed.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 2

SquirminThurman
On 4/18/2024 at 9:35 PM, Fansince88 said:

Diggs was a confidence builder for Josh. Someone that was going to catch the ball so he could grow. Josh is all grown up now. Time to take the team on his shoulders and become the boss. 

That was a win-win. Diggs best seasons were with JA, and JA was better with Diggs. It was a good move all around.

• Like 1

SquirminThurman

A couple of thoughts on Bills picks and moving up.

If Beane swaps this year's first and deals this year's second to move up in the first, it's a looong way to the 4th round and pick 128. The Bills would basically be sitting out Day 2. Not ideal for a team with some real needs.

The 2025 2nd round pick for the Diggs trade will be discounted by any team receiving it. Picks in the next draft are usually discounted a full round, so that 2nd will be worth a 3rd in any trade. Not sure how much that can move a team up in the first round. Unless there is a can't miss to move up for, I'd rather keep that 2nd 2nd next year.

The boatload of picks in the 4-6th round could help move up in the second or get back into the 3rd.

I see the Bills sticking in the first and making moves in rounds 2-4.

Edited by SquirminThurman

SquirminThurman
4 hours ago, Spartacus said:

https://www.outkick.com/sports/nfl-draft-week-is-here-armando-salguero-2024-outkick-mock-draft

Bills Need Diggs Replacement

28. Buffalo: They could probably use some cornerback help because Tre'Davious White is gone and Kaiir Elam hasn't developed as expected. They also want help on the interior defensive line. But did you hear they traded Stefon Diggs? And Gabe Davis left in free agency? QB Josh Allen needs help. So the Bills must get Allen help or bye-bye AFC East title run because Mack Hollins ain't it. Bills pick: WR Adonai Mitchell (Texas).

29. Detroit: They traded for CB Carlton Davis, which seemingly addresses their need at the position, but did you know Davis has only one year remaining on his contract? And he's never played a full season in his six-year career? This was a draft flexibility move and the Lions address the full-blown need here. Lions pick: CB Kool-Aid McKinstry (Alabama).

30. Baltimore: John Harbaugh told us he has a depth chart, and it shows he's got some issues on the offensive line, most notably at right tackle. Luckily, there are RT candidates here, including Amarius Mims and J.C. Latham, both of whom played for top programs in the SEC. The question is which is a Raven in attitude, demeanor, work ethic? Ravens pick: RT Amarius Mims (Georgia).

31. San Francisco: If they're going to trade Brandon Aiyuk or even Deebo Samuel, this is the time. If that happens, they're adding WR help. If it doesn't, they should be looking at RT because that spot begs upgrade. Let's go with the offensive lineman, but remember a WR trade is on the table. 49ers pick: J.C. Latham (Alabama). 

32. Kansas City: The Chiefs struggled last season when their receivers led the NFL in drops. Not good. It doesn't escape them that Rashee Rice, their fine young receiver, faces charges and an eventual trial following his auto wreck while allegedly racing in Dallas. That's going to put his status for at least part of 2024 at risk. And that all speaks to the Chiefs addressing the WR spot. Chiefs pick: WR Xavier Legette (South Carolina).

I am liking WR Xavier Legette and WR Ricky Pearsall more and more as I see them.

If BTJr and Ladd McKonkey are not there I may try to land Legette or Pearsall in the second with a move up.

4merper4mer

ATOP white guy crush took a while to develop this year but is 1000000% Ladd McConkey now.

• Haha 1

Alaska Darin
16 hours ago, SquirminThurman said:

I am liking WR Xavier Legette and WR Ricky Pearsall more and more as I see them.

If BTJr and Ladd McKonkey are not there I may try to land Legette or Pearsall in the second with a move up.

Legette reminds me so much of Moulds.  Man, I'd love to have a 220 pound WR with some smash to his game.

• Like 1

Spartacus

https://cdn.theathletic.com/app/uploads/2024/04/15092257/TheBeast2024_MasterFile-9.pdf

5. LADD MCCONKEY | Georgia 5115 | 186 lbs. | 4JR Chatsworth, Ga. (North Murray) 11/11/2001 (age 22.46) #84 BACKGROUND: Andrew Ladd McConkey, who has an older brother and younger sister, was born and raised in northwest Georgia (near the Tennessee border). His given first name is Andrew, but he goes by his middle name, Ladd, was his great-grandfather’s name. McConkey played baseball and football growing up (he’s also an avid hunter and outdoorsman), but basketball was his best sport throughout childhood. His brother is five years older than him, so he would often compete against older kids and “played up” a year or two once he started competing in organized sports. McConkey attended North Murray High School in Chatsworth, where he was a two-way player at cornerback and wide receiver his first three seasons. After playing mostly on JV as a freshman, he started on varsity as a sophomore at only 5 - foot-6 and 115 pounds (30 receptions for 388 yards and three touchdowns). As the best player on the team, McConkey moved to quarterback for his senior season, and he led North Murray to an 11 -2 record and the 2019 regional championship (the first in school history). He finished his final season with 3,051 all-purpose yards, and he made plays both with his arm (1,771 passing yards, 20 touchdowns) and as a runner (924 rushing yards, 10 touchdowns). He added four interceptions on defense (three of which he ret urned for touchdowns) and 356 return yards (three return touchdowns) — and he also handled punting duties. McConkey was named first team All-State as a senior, as well as All-Region for offense, defense and special teams (2019 Regional Offensive Player of the Year). He was the starting point guard for the North Murray basketball team and helped the program to a 20-5 record as a senior, including an undefeated 16-0 record in the region. McConkey also lettered in track as a junior (sprints and relays) and set a personal best of 10.85 seconds in the 100 meters. A three-star recruit, McConkey was the No. 169 wide receiver in the 2020 recruiting class and the No. 121 recruit in Georgia. At just 160 pounds as a high school senior, he was deemed “too small” by most FBS college programs, including his “dream school” Tennessee (he grew up rooting for the Volunteers, because of his father and grandfather). After his junior season, McConkey received his first scholarship offer from FCS William & Mary, foll owed by several other FCS schools (Chattanooga, Furman, Jacksonville State, Kennesaw State, Mercer and Richmond). A month before signing day, he had only two FBS offers (Army and Kent State) and was leaning towards signing with nearby Chattanooga. However, Georgia and head coach Kirby Smart attended one of his basketball games in January 2020 and offered him a scholarship. McConkey was the No. 23 recruit (out of 25) in Smart’s 2020 recruiting class. His older brother (Hinton) initially signed with Presbyterian College (2015), then played quarterback at West Georgia (2016-18). McConkey has had a steady girlfriend (Sydney Horne) since high school. He graduated magna cum laude in only three years with a degree in finance (May 2023) and was named a finalist for the William V. Campbell Trophy (Academic Heisman). McConkey skipped his senior season and entered the 2024 NFL Draft. He accepted his invitation to the 2024 Senior Bowl. YEAR (GP/GS) REC YDS AVG TD DROP NOTES 2020: Redshirted Enrolled in June 2020 2021: (15/7) 31 447 14.4 5 2 Freshman All-SEC; 24-yard TD run 2022: (15/13) 58 762 13.1 7 6 Second Team All-SEC; 70-yard TD run; 9-yard TD run; Successful 2-point conversion 2023: (9/1) 30 478 15.9 2 2 Team captain; Missed five games (back, ankle) Total: (39/21) 119 1,687 14.2 14 10 HT WT HAND ARM WING 40-YD 20-YD 10-YD VJ BJ SS 3C BP COMBINE 5115 186 8 5/8 30 1/4 72 4.39 2.54 1.52 36 10’4” - - 13 (no shuttle or 3-cone — choice) PRO DAY 5116 186 8 5/8 29 7/8 72 3/4 - - - - - 3.97 6.72 - (skills, shuttle, 3-cone only — choice) STRENGTHS: Lightning quick with his releases and gets up to his top speed in a hurry … polished route runner and manipulates coverage with his steps, setup and a variety of shoulder and head fakes … fluid hips and body control help him quickly transition out of his breaks and create separation … knows where to fit in coverage versus either man or zone … very good locating skills and plays strong to the football … nifty and creative with the ball in his hands, with the instincts to find a crease … offers punt-return value — averaged 13.3 yards per return (21/279/0) at Georgia … also experienced as a gunner and on kickoff coverages … competes with a steady heartbeat, regardless of the situation or stage … served as a team captain in 2023, and his teammates cal l him a “student of the game” … NFL scouts say he was the “confidence booster” for the Georgia offense, because of the way the quarterbacks trusted him. WEAKNESSES: Unimposing body type with lean bulk that is likely maxed out (NFL scouts say adding weight has been a challenge for him in the past) … short-armed with average height/catching radius … doesn’t have the functional strength to beat the jam if he doesn’t win with his release … physical corners can stall or slow him at the top of routes … runs tough with the ball in his hands, but he doesn’t have ideal run power or contact balance … played through nagging turf toe and knee injuries during the 2022 season but didn’t miss any games; missed the first four games of his redshirt junior season because of a back injury (September 2023) and missed another game after rolling his right ankle (November 2023). SUMMARY: A three-year starter at Georgia, McConkey lined up across the formation in offensive coordinator Mike Bobo’s scheme (70.3 percent of his career snaps came out wide; 29.6 percent were in the slot). He played in just nine games in 2023 (only one start) because of injuries, but there was a noticeable impact when he BACK TO TABLE OF CONTENTS 57 was on the field. A tough player to cover one onone, McConkey tempos his long speed to get on the toes of cornerbacks, then snaps the break point with his shortarea quickness. Although his lack of length and smaller hands hurt his catch radius, he plays with competitive ball skills an d doesn’t force the quarterback to be perfect with placement. Overall, McConkey’s size and vulnerability to injuries aren’t ideal, but he is a sudden, skilled route runner and uses synchronized shake to tie defensive backs in knots. He is a quarterback-friendly target with the inside-outside versatility to be a quality No. 2 option for an NFL offense. GRADE: 1st-2nd Round (No. 31 overall)

• Like 1

Deranged Rhino
On 5/1/2023 at 10:41 AM, Deranged Rhino said:

10 picks in hand to move up for Marvin Harrison Jr. after Gabe plays so well he prices himself out of the Bills' range. 😉 

(A proclamation guaranteed to be wrong in 11 months time - but I'll stand by it for the yucks!)

Going back to the OP - some will say it's impossible. Heck, even God would say it's impossible. But not me! 

Trade the farm and get Marvin Harrison Junior in Buffalo, "no matter what". 

(ducks and runs...)

• O Rly 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
3 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Going back to the OP - some will say it's impossible. Heck, even God would say it's impossible. But not me! 

(ducks and runs...)

Or Caleb Williams.  When's the last time the Bills had a first round Williams on the roster?

• Haha 3
  • Applause 1

RochesterRob
3 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

(ducks and runs...)

I'm about 75 percent on board with a big move to get a premiere WR.  That is saying a lot for a guy like me who might be in favor in such a move once per a quarter century.  Been longer than that since we (almost) traded the farm for Cornelius Bennett.  I think someone such as MH or MN might have a similar impact that with such a move the Bills would automatically improve pretty much across the entire offense.  The 25 percent part of me says we have a fair amount of need for those picks.  I look at the Diggs' 2nd round pick as gravy and at this moment I might be willing to put that in a package with our 2025 1st and 3rd along with our 2024 1st and a couple day 3 picks to move up.  I have never looked at Madden so I don't know how all that would play out.  Good thing I don't make the decisions on the draft for the Bills.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
22 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

I'm about 75 percent on board with a big move to get a premiere WR.  That is saying a lot for a guy like me who might be in favor in such a move once per a quarter century.  Been longer than that since we (almost) traded the farm for Cornelius Bennett.  I think someone such as MH or MN might have a similar impact that with such a move the Bills would automatically improve pretty much across the entire offense.  The 25 percent part of me says we have a fair amount of need for those picks.  I look at the Diggs' 2nd round pick as gravy and at this moment I might be willing to put that in a package with our 2025 1st and 3rd along with our 2024 1st and a couple day 3 picks to move up.  I have never looked at Madden so I don't know how all that would play out.  Good thing I don't make the decisions on the draft for the Bills.

I'm solidly on the fence with the idea.  On the one hand...they have a ton of picks, there's no particular reason not to wheel and deal to move up and get someone.  

On the other hand...this is a deep WR draft.  There's no particular need to move up to find a good WR.  Someone's going to be there at 28.

What I think will happen?  Beane trades up to the middle of the 1st, picks a WR who's not quite ready to play, but has a good attitude and work ethic and shows willingness to learn and be coached.  Because that seems to be what he emphasizes in a player.  

If they go for WR at all.  I could see Beane picking a CB or DL at 28.  What the hell do I know?

• Like 2

RochesterRob
3 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

I'm solidly on the fence with the idea.  On the one hand...they have a ton of picks, there's no particular reason not to wheel and deal to move up and get someone.  

On the other hand...this is a deep WR draft.  There's no particular need to move up to find a good WR.  Someone's going to be there at 28.

What I think will happen?  Beane trades up to the middle of the 1st, picks a WR who's not quite ready to play, but has a good attitude and work ethic and shows willingness to learn and be coached.  Because that seems to be what he emphasizes in a player.  

If they go for WR at all.  I could see Beane picking a CB or DL at 28.  What the hell do I know?

I think that it is a certainty that we grab a WR on day 3.  I think unless Beane is really audacious that our 2024 2nd and one of the 4th's go to the defense.

• Like 1