Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

The Tactical/Technical/Instructional Football Thread

Alaska Darin

Alaska Darin

We'll start with defense, specifically the "Big Nickle 425" base defense that the BILLS run.  The link below describes the defense in pretty simple terms.

https://thechamplair.com/football/4-2-5-defense-guide/

The key to this defense is having multiple hybrid players capable of essentially being positionless.  It allows for more coverage/schematic disguise, forcing QBs to make decisions "on the fly" and minimizing longer throws/chunk plays.

Larger LBers/Secondary players who don't play decisively or with an aggressive mentality will struggle to be successful in this defense.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 4

Fansince88
56 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

We'll start with defense, specifically the "Big Nickle 425" base defense that the BILLS run.  The link below describes the defense in pretty simple terms.

The key to this defense is having multiple hybrid players capable of essentially being positionless.  It allows for more coverage/schematic disguise, forcing QBs to make decisions "on the fly" and minimizing longer throws/chunk plays.

Larger LBers/Secondary players who don't play decisively or with an aggressive mentality will struggle to be successful in this defense.

Thanks for this thread. Many including myself will learn a lot from this.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 2

Crap Throwing Clavin

I know I've been hard on him the past few years, but as a friendly gesture and a peace offering, I'm sending a link to this thread to Edmunds.

• Haha 5

Good thread. I’d love to hear opinions on why the D has fallen short in the playoffs/why we should be optimistic for improvement.  
Does this scheme not work against everyone?  

Do some of our guys not fit?  

Or is it just that hard to slow down guys like Mahomes and Burrow?  

All of the above?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Alaska Darin
9 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Good thread. I’d love to hear opinions on why the D has fallen short in the playoffs/why we should be optimistic for improvement.  
Does this scheme not work against everyone?  

Do some of our guys not fit?  

Or is it just that hard to slow down guys like Mahomes and Burrow?  

All of the above?

I think all of those points are valid.

1.  The BILLS' defense has not traditionally matched up well against physical teams that are committed to running the football and have a CREDIBLE passing game to compliment it.  Think the Titans when they had receivers and Indy with Rivers/Taylor.  Edmunds was a clear liability in these games because his first step is rarely in the direction he's supposed to go.

2.  Lack of tackling fundamentals.  GMBB talked about it pretty consistently as one of the reasons we went after Von Miller - because the rush was getting to Mahomes and getting him off his spot but they weren't getting him on the ground.  Just a couple of well-timed sacks put the BILLS in the Super Bowl and yes, the margin in the NFL is that thin.

3.  I bitch about it all the time but the DBs simply have to be better at finding the football in the air.  I give Frazier a lot of credit for having the DBs/coverage in the right spots but we've been (my opinion) below average at actually making plays on the football.  Again, a well timed PD or better yet turnover changes a loss to possibly a blowout win.

4.  Passiveness, especially early in games (both in coverage and pass rush).  Far too many times, QBs are comfortable early in games and that leads to good games.  Sometimes it's better to give up some plays early and get some smacks in so QBs are doing more thinking about the rush as the game wears on.   I don't care what the situation is, no one is going to convince me that you should ever be 8 yards off a receiver and in bail at the snap.  That's loser football.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 3

On 5/21/2023 at 1:18 PM, Alaska Darin said:

1.  The BILLS' defense has not traditionally matched up well against physical teams that are committed to running the football and have a CREDIBLE passing game to compliment it.  Think the Titans when they had receivers and Indy with Rivers/Taylor.  Edmunds was a clear liability in these games because his first step is rarely in the direction he's supposed to go.

2.  Lack of tackling fundamentals.  GMBB talked about it pretty consistently as one of the reasons we went after Von Miller - because the rush was getting to Mahomes and getting him off his spot but they weren't getting him on the ground.  Just a couple of well-timed sacks put the BILLS in the Super Bowl and yes, the margin in the NFL is that thin.

3.  I bitch about it all the time but the DBs simply have to be better at finding the football in the air.  I give Frazier a lot of credit for having the DBs/coverage in the right spots but we've been (my opinion) below average at actually making plays on the football.  Again, a well timed PD or better yet turnover changes a loss to possibly a blowout win.

4.  Passiveness, especially early in games (both in coverage and pass rush).  Far too many times, QBs are comfortable early in games and that leads to good games.  Sometimes it's better to give up some plays early and get some smacks in so QBs are doing more thinking about the rush as the game wears on.   I don't care what the situation is, no one is going to convince me that you should ever be 8 yards off a receiver and in bail at the snap.  That's loser football.

Regarding your 4th point, when you have a healthy Josh Allen on the other side of the field, you should be doing everything you can to get him the ball back quickly so he has a lot of drives each game.  So, be aggressive.  If it means you breakdown once or twice and give up a quick score, well, you have Josh Friggin' Allen on the other side of the ball and he can get those points back.  If you DON'T breakdown, but instead get the other guys to go 3 & out or 5 & out, well Josh gets a shorter field and the opportunity to start running up the score making the other team's O 1 dimensional.

Totally get playing low event football on D when your QB is Tyrod Taylor or Trent Edwards.  But when you have a true weapon, get it off the sideline and start putting pressure on the opponent.

My 2 cents.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

I've always had an issue with 12 personnel term on offense since there are only 11 players on the field.
Since the Bills might finally be utilizing it more this year google was my friend.

"The two numbers in '12 Personnel' refer to how many running backs (1st number) and tight ends (2nd number) will be on the field for the offense.

In this case, it means there will be:

By knowing how many running backs and tight ends are on the field, you can figure out how many wide receivers there will be.

That's because six of the eleven players on offense will always consist of the quarterback plus five offensive linemen (one center, two guards and two tackles).

https://footballadvantage.com/12-personnel-football/

• Like 2
  • Love 1

SquirminThurman
On 5/21/2023 at 1:18 PM, Alaska Darin said:

I love points 2 and 4

2. is why IMO Taylor Rapp was brought in. He is a replacement level S as a pure coverage guy, but he is quick to diagnose and is as fundamental a tackler you will find in a DB.

4. is why I liked the Dorian Williams (LB) pick. In those 50-50 situations where a LB is caught in space most often he chooses to pursue the QB and force the throw or make the QB uncomfortable. It may lead to giving up the score, but in those no win situations make a decision and get there in a hurry.

• Cheers 1

IDBillzFan
On 5/26/2023 at 3:12 PM, Uncle Joe said:

"The two numbers in '12 Personnel' refer to how many running backs (1st number) and tight ends (2nd number) will be on the field for the offense.

In this case, it means there will be:

One of the funniest sequences I heard on "Moving the Chains" with Pat Kirwan & Jim Miller was Pat explaining numbered personnel to a Patriots* fan.

Kirwan: So in a 12 Personnel, the first number represents the number of RBs on the field, and the second number represents the the number of tight ends. So how many TEs are there in a 12 Personnel?

Pats* Fan: One.

Kirwan: No, the first number is for RBs and the second is for TEs, so there would be two TEs in a 12 Personnel. And how many RBs are in a 12 Personnel.

Pats* Fan: Two.

Miller: We need to take a break... (cuts to commercial).

• Haha 4
  • Applause 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
6 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

One of the funniest sequences I heard on "Moving the Chains" with Pat Kirwan & Jim Miller was Pat explaining numbered personnel to a Patriots* fan.

Kirwan: So in a 12 Personnel, the first number represents the number of RBs on the field, and the second number represents the the number of tight ends. So how many TEs are there in a 12 Personnel?

Pats* Fan: Gronk.

Kirwan: No, the first number is for RBs and the second is for TEs, so there would be two TEs in a 12 Personnel. And how many RBs are in a 12 Personnel.

Pats* Fan: Mac Jones and Tom Brady.

Miller: We need to take a break... (cuts to commercial).

Fixed.

• Haha 2

TakeYouToTasker 2.0

I’m going to start contributing to this thread regularly.

My first will be on the Tampa 2/Cover 3.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Cheers 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/21/2023 at 9:59 AM, Alaska Darin said:

Not a bad article, but it’s odd that this Canuck diagrams a 4 2 4 alignment, and keeps calling the field “pitch.”  

• Haha 2

TakeYouToTasker 2.0

Kaiir Elam is a guest on Cover 1, breaking down his INT vs Pittsburg.

Discussion entails the defensive unit disguising a cover 2 look as cover 1, the freedom Elam has within the defense to bait the QB via pre-snap positioning.

• Love 2