Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

The Tactical/Technical/Instructional Football Thread

Alaska Darin

Depending on personnel group and formations, I expect Desai to throw a lot of his Bonus FZ creepers and actual FZ pressures at the Commanders on early downs like they did on Monday night. They allow you to accomplish a lot from a presentation standpoint because they challenge the QB to have to sort things out post-snap at the line with the protection trying to identify who’s in the charge and what path they’re taking, then also in the secondary by having to identify the rotation, how they’re distributing routes, the techniques they’re playing, and then having to read their movement keys on top of that. Trying to accomplish that in under 2.5 seconds is going to be tough for any QB, let alone one making his 5th start.

On 3rd downs, the usual diet of Covers 6 & 8 will likely be the most popular items on the menu because you need to stay +1 in coverage to both sides against an offense that changes the look they give between the time they exit the huddle to the time the ball is snapped. They’ll be getting into and out of the formation looks that require communication to adjust the coverage to: 3x1, 4x1, fast #3, fast #4 stacks, bunches, diamonds, jet motions, Star/Steel HB motions, HB Shack motions, yo-yo motions, and peel motions. They’re a bitch to sort out, but as long as your communication is well organized and you allow yourself to be 4-over-3 & 3-over-2 when needing to combat all of those tools offenses use, your depth/leverage maintenance and route distribution will be much cleaner.

They have a lot of very specific coverage beaters like the ones I posted this past week, but they have a lot of GVA calls as well that just allow the QB to see what the defense is giving and take it, and a few of those examples are below.

https://twitter.com/TheHonestNFL/status/1708166678763184147

• 3 weeks later...

Some new diagrams I added to the drive. Guppie was already in there, but I wanted to do a new one to marry it up with Ocean, which is the dropback version of it in Pederson’s pass game. Also included Hank to show the slight difference between it and Guppie and why it’s basically replaced by it because they accomplish the same thing.

Guppie

• Like 1