Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

‘ 23 The Aftermath - Bills vs. Bengals - Week #9

Ann

40 minutes ago, B-Man said:

I sat there yesterday and watched Lamar, Jalen, and multiple other QB's win their games by taking off and running every time the defense fell back.

It seems pretty basic.

I’m not a Ravens fan, but I never hear too many people complain about Lamar Jackson’s scrambling destroying his future. 

Josh Allen obviously isn’t throwing in the towel, but he was keeping it real when he spoke to reporters after Buffalo’s third loss in its last five games.

“This second half of the season, realistically if you want to look at it, you need 10, maybe 11 wins to get into the playoff picture in the AFC,” he said. “Eight games left, we have five wins. So the math there, it's not pretty, it's not going to be easy.”

No, it certainly won’t be. They still have road games at Philadelphia, Kansas City, the Chargers and Miami, plus home games against the Jets and Cowboys.

Edited by Rochesterny
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Ann said:

You could tell he caught it.

Watching it live, thought it bounced off the turf well before getting to Sherfield.  But after watching the replay, don't see how the officials messed that up.  His hands absolutely were under that ball and it never hit the turf.

Understand why people are upset at the challenge.  It only gains them 8 yards and not a 1st down and at that point in the game that 2nd timeout was critically important to have after the Diggs score.  More important than having to go 10 yards in 3 plays rather than 2 yards in 3 plays; but he DID catch the ball.  Can see how in the heat of the moment, he decided to challenge.  (But, yeah, the potential gain at that point wasn't worth the potential loss and it shouldn't have been challenged.)

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, Ann said:

A bad time for his first fumble, but I like what he is bringing.

I give Dalton a pass here. Rookie and will learn from this. Him and Diggs were bright spots. I like this kid and what he can do from this position. Need more plays drawn up for him imo. The ability to stretch the field and open up.

• Cheers 2

We may need to consider that the AFC East really isn't that good. The Jets have an ok defense and a bad offense led by a horrible quarterback. I think their head coach is a stiff too. I refuse to take the Jets seriously for even a second. The Dolphins can't beat anyone good. All of their wins are against teams below .500. Their offense is loads of fun but their defense is weak and clearly they're just not a complete team. The Patriots are a &#%$ing disgrace and it's only getting worse.

Yet the Bills currently sit in 3rd place in the division. They also haven't beaten anyone good (except the Dolphins who have that same problem but to a greater degree). At this point I'll need to see a win @PHI, @KAN, or DAL to think they can make any noise in the postseason. Although, they may still win the division with a 9-8 record.    

• Cheers 2

Does anyone know if Stefon diggs did a press conference after the game??? I’d be really interested in what he had to say

Edited by Rochesterny

44 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Watching it live, thought it bounced off the turf well before getting to Sherfield.  But after watching the replay, don't see how the officials messed that up.  His hands absolutely were under that ball and it never hit the turf.

Understand why people are upset at the challenge.  It only gains them 8 yards and not a 1st down and at that point in the game that 2nd timeout was critically important to have after the Diggs score.  More important than having to go 10 yards in 3 plays rather than 2 yards in 3 plays; but he DID catch the ball.  Can see how in the heat of the moment, he decided to challenge.  (But, yeah, the potential gain at that point wasn't worth the potential loss and it shouldn't have been challenged.)

In my opinion they challenge losing causes a lot. 

They don't seem to ask themselves "how likely is this to be overturned". 

McDermott career 24% successful challenge rate.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/McDeSe0/challenges/

Edited by snafu
  • Cheers 4

The Bills are losing games because they are crappy at running the ball, turn it over too much and can't sustain drives often enough.  The Bills are also tied for the most penalties in the league. Not 1 team that has beat them this year has scored 30 points and in 3 of their 5 losses the Bills have given up 25 points or less.  

Their shit record rests squarely on the offense and JA is very responsible.  If you look at drives throughout the season that end in punts or turnovers, you'll see a lot of open receivers that Josh either misses or doesn't see. No QB is 100% of course but too often he's leaving good plays on the table or making too many low percentage throws.  On top of that, he is about the least sacked QB in the league so the improved and healthy offensive line in front of him is doing a decent job in pass protection. He's had 8 games of film to look at prior to last night.  He's had time to figure it out.  Give defenses some credit but he hasn't fixed himself yet. At $40+ million a year, expectations are for better.    

The running game is another matter.  The Bills are in the top 6 in the league this year in YPA, but in the bottom half of the league as a team in YPG.  They should have run the ball more last night.  The QB can't be expected to get all the needed first downs. 

• Yes and No 1

8 minutes ago, Ninety-4 said:

The Bills are losing games because they are crappy at running the ball, turn it over too much and can't sustain drives often enough.  The Bills are also tied for the most penalties in the league. Not 1 team that has beat them this year has scored 30 points and in 3 of their 5 losses the Bills have given up 25 points or less.  

Their shit record rests squarely on the offense and JA is very responsible.  If you look at drives throughout the season that end in punts or turnovers, you'll see a lot of open receivers that Josh either misses or doesn't see. No QB is 100% of course but too often he's leaving good plays on the table or making too many low percentage throws.  On top of that, he is about the least sacked QB in the league so the improved and healthy offensive line in front of him is doing a decent job in pass protection. He's had 8 games of film to look at prior to last night.  He's had time to figure it out.  Give defenses some credit but he hasn't fixed himself yet. At $40+ million a year, expectations are for better.    

The running game is another matter.  The Bills are in the top 6 in the league this year in YPA, but in the bottom half of the league as a team in YPG.  They should have run the ball more last night.  The QB can't be expected to get all the needed first downs. 

So do we use a 1st or 2nd round pick on a back (assuming there is one in the draft that warrants a high pick?  I'm assuming that our 2024 cap will be tight and nobody available that warrants a big FA payday.  Derrick Henry will have another full season on his odometer thus being less desirable.  I know McD covets a premiere defense but our offense needs a tune up with some premium components.  

29 minutes ago, Ninety-4 said:

May I ask this question seem like you are squarely placing the fault entirely on josh Allen do i understand that correctly.  I will agree with Allen bears some responsibility of what is going on. How is it diggs can find a way even after slow starts find a way get open in critical situations? Yes totally agree the inabilty to run make the offense single dimension and the fact they struggle with that is concerning. But if you take Allen and diggs and now Kincaid out of the equation what do you have? Not enough talented skills player around that can find a way to get open etc… Yes allen sometime misses open receivers at times that is true but I think the other part of equation is the play calling and OC. IMO if you’re holding Allen accountable then you must pair that with Dorsey as it mind boggling the play calling. You can look at several games past week exemplify this point. Also, the fact the defense is now weak and can’t seem to stop anyone. Sum of all parts here spell recipe for disaster imo l. But if misunderstood your post I apologize please feel free to correct me.

Edited by Rochesterny
  • Cheers 1

Nouseforaname
3 minutes ago, Foxx said:

Shakir open, Diggs open and he throws to the guy who is double covered.

Josh really needs to work on his decision making because it has been atrocious this year.  This is all on him.  No amount of weapons will change that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nouseforaname said:

Shakir open, Diggs open and he throws to the guy who is double covered.

Josh really needs to work on his decision making because it has been atrocious this year.  This is all on him.  No amount of weapons will change that.

My question why always try for big plays like 15,20,etc… yds. The goal is move the chains and get first down and move the ball. I know getting 5,7,8, or 9 yds is not glamorous but you always have shorter conversions rather than 3-10,3-14, etc… also got to eliminate penalties to push you back

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

So do we use a 1st or 2nd round pick on a back (assuming there is one in the draft that warrants a high pick?  I'm assuming that our 2024 cap will be tight and nobody available that warrants a big FA payday.  Derrick Henry will have another full season on his odometer thus being less desirable.  I know McD covets a premiere defense but our offense needs a tune up with some premium components.  

IMO they need a pass rusher, #2 receiver, linebacker, cb, oline, and safety those what are biggest needs imo. Running back in 2 or 3 or FA

Edited by Rochesterny

33 minutes ago, Ninety-4 said:

One more thing.  Either throw Gabe Davis the ball or put Shakir or Sherfield in as #2.  

Agree with you think you now make Shakir #2 and let’s see what he can do.

12 minutes ago, Rochesterny said:

Agree with you think you now make Shakir #2 and let’s see what he can do.

You think Shakir is a #2? I think he's a very good #3, and Josh seems to be getting comfortable that he will catch the ball. Josh needs a safety blanket like Beasley was, and if Shakir and Kincaid can become those, that would be fantastic. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1