Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

‘23 The Aftermath - Bills vs. Eagles - Week #12

Ann

10 minutes ago, Ninety-4 said:

It didn't reach the LOS.  That's the rule.  Maybe it shouldn't be the rule but it is.  Still the missed horse collar was more egregious.  

... or in the vicinity of a receiver...

That is my interpretation. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, bdutton said:

That may be right. I think the ref explanation announcing the call was short of LOS.  They hung their hat on that.  

1 hour ago, bdutton said:

Correct. If out of the pocket, you can sling it anywhere as long as it goes past the LOS. But if its behind the LOS, if it’s in the vicinity of a receiver it is not considered intentional grounding. Anyone have a screengrab of how close the nearest receiver was? I havent seen one yet.

3 minutes ago, Sig1Hunter said:

Correct. If out of the pocket, you can sling it anywhere as long as it goes past the LOS. But if its behind the LOS, if it’s in the vicinity of a receiver it is not considered intentional grounding. Anyone have a screengrab of how close the nearest receiver was? I havent seen one yet.

I posted it up thread

• Love 2

18 minutes ago, Sig1Hunter said:

This is nuts. Absolutely nuts. Eff the refs.

Oh, and give me Josh Allen - the good, the bad and the ugly…and give me a coach that lets him be Josh Allen. 

Not that I want to be, but to be fair to the refs, within the clause in the rules, it stipulates that the pass must have a realistic chance of completion. Josh's ball didn't stand any chance of completion.

And then to turn it back around, that aspect has never seemed to come in to play before. As long as there is/was a receiver in the area, that is all they went by. Additionally, Hoculi never used this logic in his explanation.

So I'll say it one last time in this thread (at least I hope it's the last time I'll say it here), &#%$ Hoculi.

• Applause 2
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker 2.0 said:

In retrospect, on an absolute laundry list of frustrating and maddening things about yesterday’s game, was Diggs *not even being on the field* on 3rd and long multiple times.

And in each of those situations, we did not convert.

The first 3rd down situation in which Diggs was on the field? We picked it up.

I’m not even sure what we’re doing out there sometimes.

Add to that: why did they slam James Cook into the line on nearly every first down at the end of the 4th Q and in OT -- but they never faked the handoff and threw in any of those situations.  It was incredible how many 2nd and 3rd and long situations they had late in the game after a pointless 1 yard run.  It was incredible that they didn't use the 1 yard run to set up play action late in the game.  It might have turned the OT 3-points into a TD and a win.

And I don't know what the Eagles did to account for Kincaid, but he seemed invisible in the second half.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

Nouseforaname

Was listening to Chris Broussard on First Things First.

McD didn't even wait until an important moment to ice the kicker, he literally did it prematurely which basically allowed the kicker to set up...

WTF 

• Facepalm 2

2 hours ago, Ninety-4 said:

It didn't reach the LOS.  That's the rule.  Maybe it shouldn't be the rule but it is.  Still the missed horse collar was more egregious.  

So even if this were true, there would have been offsetting penalties, no loss of down, no loss of yards and a replay of the down from the 3 yard line.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Foxx said:

Not that I want to be, but to be fair to the refs, within the clause in the rules, it stipulates that the pass must have a realistic chance of completion. Josh's ball didn't stand any chance of completion.

And then to turn it back around, that aspect has never seemed to come in to play before. As long as there is/was a receiver in the area, that is all they went by. Additionally, Hoculi never used this logic in his explanation.

So I'll say it one last time in this thread (at least I hope it's the last time I'll say it here), &#%$ Hoculi.

How many times have you seen a QB dirt the ball a couple yards from the receiver's feet to save the loss of yards?  Non of those balls have a "reasonable" chance of being caught.  But again, even if it is grounding, the non-call on the horse collar is egregious and would have offset any grounding.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 3

SquirminThurman
20 hours ago, ComradeKayAdams said:

Coach McDermott is now 0-6 in overtime since acquiring Josh Allen: the 2019 Texans playoff game, the 2021 Bucs game, the 13 Seconds playoff game, the 2022 Vikings game, the season opener against the Jets, and now this one.

That is NOT a coincidence. 

Correct, and it is happening more frequently now

SquirminThurman
21 hours ago, Ann said:

I started to listen, but turned it off. The link is on the prior page. You can’t get to the beginning until they finish the feed. They will also have them up on YouTube (too early for that).

I know Romo said Gabe Davis ran the wrong route. We may never know.

I believe the Bills still run a Erhardt-Perkins style offense. This requires the QB and WR to make the same read on a defensive player after the snap, and is driven by optimal leverage on the DB as the play evolves.

example of plays from a EP system:

2005panthersplaybook3.0.webp.fb295b82776f664c11540b2261cbb9bc.webp

On the right hand side look at the the plays the WR has. There are 'concepts' but not definite routes.

The dotted line routes are options the WR has depending on the leverage the DB has.

Buffalo missed on two of these plays. Everyone will call out Gabe Davis' move to the corner of the end zone while JA saw leverage inside. There was an eerily similar play earlier in the game when Trent Sherfield read the leverage differently in or near the end zone.

The WR coach/ QB coach/ QB and WRs need some film study together to iron those issues out. JA read outside leverage and threw the ball inside on both passes. The WR read the leverage differently and ran outside on both passes.

Edited by SquirminThurman
  • Cheers 3

SquirminThurman
20 hours ago, Ann said:

Ridiculous

not to toot my own horn, but I did point this out earlier.

How many times has JA walked off the field with 3:00 or less, only for the team to choke.

Eventually that adds up psychologically...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Cheers 2

Was wondering how much kvetching about the refs would be going on here, was not disappointed.

Was it bad? Yes. Did it alter drives? yes. Was it the reason we lost? Nope.

It was the defense, again, choking hard in the clutch.

• Like 1

SquirminThurman
19 hours ago, Ann said:

yes.jpg.639b7fdf1579ee244fe2a75709c8e9e9.jpg

I've heard KC, Dallas and Miami fans all say the same thing. I never agree with those fan bases, but that was WWE/WWF style officiating... still not why the Bills lost though.

Edited by SquirminThurman
  • Like 1

Just now, Joe said:

Was wondering how much kvetching about the refs would be going on here, was not disappointed.

Was it bad? Yes. Did it alter drives? yes. Was it the reason we lost? Nope.

It was the defense, again, choking hard in the clutch.

It most certainly was one of the reasons they lost. People aren't complaining about the calls against the Bills (although some were phantom), the main complaints are what weren’t called against the Eagles.  The non call on the horse collar and slamming Josh Allen to the ground resulted in a blocked FG instead of on the 1 (no intentional grounding) or 3 (offsetting,  replay the down). Plenty of images of the non called PI or holding on receivers the Eagles did. The fumble that wasn't (with a minute left) that was a fumble in the Baltimore vs Chargers game.

Go visit the officiating thread. Not only are there images and video, there is commentary from disinterested parties on how egregious it was.

And, it changed the game.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • FANtastic 1
  • Love 1
  • Boo 1

1 minute ago, Ann said:

The non call on the horse collar and slamming Josh Allen to the ground resulted in a blocked FG instead of on the 1 (no intentional grounding) or 3 (offsetting,  replay the down).

That was the one that ground my gears. The others? Enh.

That one was egregious.

• Like 2