Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Pegula to Sell 25% of the Bills

RochesterRob
49 minutes ago, Bills Circle The Wagons said:

That still isn’t a great deal for an investment of $1 billion dollars in a small market NFL franchise like Buffalo. I think it’s going to take Terry Pegula awhile to find a billionaire that wants to hand over $1 billion dollars to Terry Pegula for a lousy 25% with no say. The only way someone is going to do that is if they have money burning a hole in their pocket one. Or two they will want right of first refusal to buy the rest of the Buffalo Bills. It would have to be someone young that can sit on the on the 25% of the Bills for 15 plus years to wait on Terry Pegula passing to move the Buffalo Bills out of Buffalo. Terry Pegula will just say you have to keep the Bills in Buffalo. The buyer can tell Terry Pegula whatever he wants to hear. But like the late Ralph Wilson said that is beyond his control his when the Bills got sold at his passing. And Bills fans don’t think that can’t happen.

The Oklahoma City Thunder owner Clay Bennett lied to the Seattle SuperSonics owner it was a disgrace that the NBA allowed Clay Bennett to get away with that David Stein the NBA commissioner who was NBA legal counsel when my Buffalo Braves were sold. For every owner that are good owners that do the right thing. There are some ruthless business owners that would lie to get their hands on the Buffalo Bills franchise to move it long term. The Buffalo Braves NBA owner moved my Braves because John Y. Brown was a lier he screwed over Louisville’s Kentucky Colonels a model ABA franchise took the $3 million dollars ABA buyout during the NBA-ABA merger costing Louisville a NBA franchise. Old John Y. Brown wasn’t done screwing over professional basketball markets. He took the $3 million dollars and bought the NBA Buffalo Braves and in two years screwed over Buffalo professional basketball market.

So just saying this up coming season is my 50 year of following Buffalo sports and over those 50 years I have seen a lot in professional sports in multiple leagues. When you lose a NBA team at 10 years old as a Buffalo fan it woke me up of the reality of professional sports. I was in the Kleinhan’s Junior Buffalo Braves kid’s club and everything as a kid. I don’t believe any sports owner because I think that harden me as a Buffalo sports fan the owners regardless of what they say can do whatever they want. For me as a Buffalo sports fan did the league schedule come out for that next coming year saying Buffalo still had a team regardless of the sport and league. Until I see that yearly schedule with Buffalo fill in the blank sport says they are still around in Buffalo. When the yearly schedule comes out only until then I know Buffalo still has a team in that league then I believe the team is still in Buffalo. T What about the politicians they say it’s ironclad lease? I don’t believe anything is ironclad and the last person I would believe is a politician that just wants to get reelected in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo

Given that the stock market has run pretty much on irrational exuberance for the last 20 years I am not so quick to pee on the performance that is known as the appreciation of a NFL team.  Further, most billionaires have massive egos.  A fair number would look at a billion dollars down on a franchise as forcing the door open for them to eventually own everything.  While not many there are a few with a Buffalo connection that would favor keeping the team in WNY.  Terry Pegula may live until 95 like Ralph did or it is more likely he will pass some time before that.  I hope he is long lived but you never know when health or a key event might dictate differently.  While anything is possible with a new majority owner even they would face the fact that the current broadcast market consists of over 3 million people in New York and 5 million in Southern Ontario.  Where else are they going to find 8 million people in a short time period and how much time will it take to cultivate that market?  As you pointed out before Toronto is unlikely considering there is little public support to build a facility there and given the inflation in building a stadium probably in the next 5-10 years you are talking at least 4-5 billion dollars or more for a flagship facility.  I think that the building of a new facility in OP puts a stiff moratorium on expanding to Toronto for the next 15 years or so.  

• Like 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
4 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

Given that the stock market has run pretty much on irrational exuberance for the last 20 years I am not so quick to pee on the performance that is known as the appreciation of a NFL team.  Further, most billionaires have massive egos.  A fair number would look at a billion dollars down on a franchise as forcing the door open for them to eventually own everything.  While not many there are a few with a Buffalo connection that would favor keeping the team in WNY.  Terry Pegula may live until 95 like Ralph did or it is more likely he will pass some time before that.  I hope he is long lived but you never know when health or a key event might dictate differently.  While anything is possible with a new majority owner even they would face the fact that the current broadcast market consists of over 3 million people in New York and 5 million in Southern Ontario.  Where else are they going to find 8 million people in a short time period and how much time will it take to cultivate that market?  As you pointed out before Toronto is unlikely considering there is little public support to build a facility there and given the inflation in building a stadium probably in the next 5-10 years you are talking at least 4-5 billion dollars or more for a flagship facility.  I think that the building of a new facility in OP puts a stiff moratorium on expanding to Toronto for the next 15 years or so.  

Plus, when you talk about "small-market franchises," you have to remember that the real revenue comes from TV contracts.  You're buying a place at that trough, more than for the gate receipts.

• Like 1

Bills Circle The Wagons
8 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

I agree billionaires are human like everyone else and yes I sure some have huge egos. But you’re only buying 25% with no say on the running of the Buffalo Bills franchise basically you get great Bills seats but not much more than that. Second I am not as bullish on the NFL or MLB long term because of the economic model they are going down. My first Buffalo Bills game was against the old Baltimore Colts and quarterback Bert Jones. I won a contest from Bell’s Super Market that mom entered my name while she was grocery shopping and surprised me when I won free Bills tickets. Dad took me to the Bills game from completely free because dad’s brother owned a house less than a block away from then Rich stadium so free parking and Sunday dinner with them after the game with my aunt, uncle and cousins. I come from a blue collar working class family. No way would my father pay PSL’s plus tickets. Western New York is mostly working class families. The NFL is selling a model for upper class adults. They are potentially risking long term damage to their game. Because you’re aren’t going to see many little kids at games anymore. The families are going to go to what they can afford. MLB baseball is going down a model that is damaging their game. Looking to crush the minor baseball leagues. While MLS and USL

soccer is embracing young families and kids. The NFL has problems long term potentially? Going to smaller stadium’s reducing ticket demand with higher prices. Rich Stadium use to hold over 80,000 when it first opened and where I saw my first NFL game. Yes you can watch all the games on television but it’s nothing like going to the game live once in a while. Again I don’t care what the PSL’s are the NFL has been a television sport for me because of my health problems so it doesn’t affect me as a Bills fan because I had my time going to Bills games it was great. I no longer can go to games in person anymore and watch the Bills on television. But I wouldn’t like this system if I was a young Bills fans today. Because you want to think something is attainable like going to a Bills game once in a while. When you don’t have that and it’s like some rich country club membership you really don’t care and go onto things like sports that are attainable watching in person once in a while.

Those NFL fans going now will eventually age out. When that happens I don’t like the potential problems down the road for the long term for the NFL that pricing of what I call the NFL Jerry Jones system. Yes fans will watch the games on television because of gambling but it could potentially just become like a television show to future NFL generations. That Jerry Jones has no shame he kick many of Dallas Cowboys fans out of the new Cowboys stadium because they couldn’t afford it. That is one of many reasons Cowboys fans don’t like Jerry Jones. I predict right now that Terry Pegula is going to have to clean up Legends mess with out pricing the Western New York market. I won’t count on Toronto fans either they have a price breaking point too? The Toronto Blue Jays tickets are ridiculously priced and same with Toronto Maple Leafs why do you think you see Canadians at Buffalo Bisons games Blue Jays farm team and Buffalo Sabres games to watch their Toronto Maple Leafs along with going to NHL hockey games. Toronto fans aren’t stupid they come to Buffalo because the prices are more affordable and attainable. I am saying you move onto what you can attain and afford from

the very beginning.

I am a bigger UB Bulls FBS Division I college football fan starting in the 1990’s when UB stadium first opened because UB Stadium was 10 minutes from my house so it was easier to go to. And UB Bulls football tickets were $42 at the time for the season ticket when I first started going with free parking. They are like $150 today again free parking and they tailgate. I saw Ben Roethsliburger playing against UB with Miami Redhawks. I saw Khalil Mack play for UB Bulls for fours years at $7 a ticket with free parking and all the Bulls tailgating you want. The Buffalo Bisons I saw Randy Johnson playing for the Indianapolis Indians against my Bisons. I use to go to old Little Three basketball doubleheaders for $5 for two basketball games on Saturday nights involving the three Buffalo area Division I basketball schools Canisius Golden Griffins, St. Bonaventure Bonnies and the Niagara Purple Eagles plus free parking down a side street at the old Buffalo Memorial Auditorium. I am a Big 4 basketball fan to this day following all the Buffalo area Division I college basketball teams that includes the Buffalo Bulls today.

This upcoming season is special for me personally because it’s my 50th season of being a Buffalo sports fan. Buffalo is a town that looked for Wendt Dairy Milk Cartons for Buffalo Sabres nights with buy one get one Sabres ticket free at the old Buffalo AUD. This area is a good sports town but at a price fans can afford. I always say that Buffalo will always have professional football no

matter what guaranteed. Same with professional hockey. But Buffalo could someday potentially reach an economic breaking point with both the NFL and NHL Buffalo franchises? Why do you think Buffalo got the Buffalo Destroyers for 5 years at the then new Marine Midland Arena now Key Bank Center? Because Buffalo business community leaders weren’t so sure about selling the club seats and luxury boxes in the late 1990’s then the Buffalo Bills had the Doug Flutie magic and they were able to sell the club seats and luxury boxes. The Arena Football League Buffalo Destroyers were going to be the replacement for potentially losing the Buffalo Bills in Buffalo. Same thing would happen in Buffalo hockey some business leaders would bring the AHL team back to Buffalo. My little joke Buffalo already got its dome football stadium it’s called Key Bank Center. Just for my personal opinion of all the games and sports I have seen in Key Bank Center arena football was the best viewing experience in that arena. With basketball being the worst viewing experience at Key Bank Center. Key Bank Center isn’t like the old Buffalo Memorial Auditorium for college and professional basketball again just my personal opinion.

I was a Buffalo Destroyers season ticket holder for all five years they were here in Buffalo. When the Buffalo Bills stayed the Destroyers weren’t necessary and the owner sold them to Columbus, Ohio. Another joke I have is that the future new Bills stadium will potentially make a nice stadium for the potential lnew Buffalo CFL football franchise if the Bills decide to ever move. I am a Buffalo sports fan until the day I die. But this was never about football and Buffalo fans loyalty. Loyalty is a two way street. Do I want the Buffalo Bills to leave of course not. But if they do I never worried about having professional football or professional hockey in Buffalo. This is about the NFL owners greed and the economic realities of Western New York. It comes back to what is attainable for Western New York fans? There is a breaking point and it has nothing to do with loyalty of the fans or Buffalo as a sports town. Buffalo sellout Buffalo Bandits lacrosse games. I think this PSL experience sales pitch is going to be screwed up by Legends so badly and Terry Pegula is eventually going to have to step in with the PSL pricing. He will blame Legends of course because it’s never Terry Pegula’s fault. Even though he hired Legends. Why do you think Lindy Ruff is back with the Buffalo Sabres? Because Terry Pegula’s Buffalo Sabres aren’t packing the arena anymore after 13 years of not making the playoffs. Terry Pegula guaranteed will blame the Legends sales team fire them and his team with the Buffalo Bills will take over if there are too many Bills season ticket holders that say they can’t afford the Bills PSL’s at this price point. Terry Pegula isn’t going to let Legends company with Jerry Jones run the Buffalo Bills franchise into the ground with empty Bills seats. Buffalo isn’t New York, Los Angeles and Chicago. The salaries are lower in Western New York that is reality. Also remember we are two years away from the new Bills stadium opening. Next season is when the panic potentially starts to set in for Terry Pegula if Western New York Bills fans don’t buy the Legends sales PSL’s price point in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

RochesterRob
11 hours ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Plus, when you talk about "small-market franchises," you have to remember that the real revenue comes from TV contracts.  You're buying a place at that trough, more than for the gate receipts.

Further, I don't think teams such as the Bengals, Titans, and the Browns have that kind of reach in terms of broadcast market.  The Bills reaching Rochester, Syracuse, Watertown, Elmira, Olean, Hamilton, Ont, and Toronto kind of just happened over the decades but it did happen.

RochesterRob
7 hours ago, Bills Circle The Wagons said:

I agree billionaires are human like everyone else and yes I sure some have huge egos. But you’re only buying 25% with no say on the running of the Buffalo Bills franchise basically you get great Bills seats but not much more than that. Second I am not as bullish on the NFL or MLB long term because of the economic model they are going down. My first Buffalo Bills game was against the old Baltimore Colts and quarterback Bert Jones. I won a contest from Bell’s Super Market that mom entered my name while she was grocery shopping and surprised me when I won free Bills tickets. Dad took me to the Bills game from completely free because dad’s brother owned a house less than a block away from then Rich stadium so free parking and Sunday dinner with them after the game with my aunt, uncle and cousins. I come from a blue collar working class family. No way would my father pay PSL’s plus tickets. Western New York is mostly working class families. The NFL is selling a model for upper class adults. They are potentially risking long term damage to their game. Because you’re aren’t going to see many little kids at games anymore. The families are going to go to what they can afford. MLB baseball is going down a model that is damaging their game. Looking to crush the minor baseball leagues. While MLS and USL

soccer is embracing young families and kids. The NFL has problems long term potentially? Going to smaller stadium’s reducing ticket demand with higher prices. Rich Stadium use to hold over 80,000 when it first opened and where I saw my first NFL game. Yes you can watch all the games on television but it’s nothing like going to the game live once in a while. Again I don’t care what the PSL’s are the NFL has been a television sport for me because of my health problems so it doesn’t affect me as a Bills fan because I had my time going to Bills games it was great. I no longer can go to games in person anymore and watch the Bills on television. But I wouldn’t like this system if I was a young Bills fans today. Because you want to think something is attainable like going to a Bills game once in a while. When you don’t have that and it’s like some rich country club membership you really don’t care and go onto things like sports that are attainable watching in person once in a while.

Those NFL fans going now will eventually age out. When that happens I don’t like the potential problems down the road for the long term for the NFL that pricing of what I call the NFL Jerry Jones system. Yes fans will watch the games on television because of gambling but it could potentially just become like a television show to future NFL generations. That Jerry Jones has no shame he kick many of Dallas Cowboys fans out of the new Cowboys stadium because they couldn’t afford it. That is one of many reasons Cowboys fans don’t like Jerry Jones. I predict right now that Terry Pegula is going to have to clean up Legends mess with out pricing the Western New York market. I won’t count on Toronto fans either they have a price breaking point too? The Toronto Blue Jays tickets are ridiculously priced and same with Toronto Maple Leafs why do you think you see Canadians at Buffalo Bisons games Blue Jays farm team and Buffalo Sabres games to watch their Toronto Maple Leafs along with going to NHL hockey games. Toronto fans aren’t stupid they come to Buffalo because the prices are more affordable and attainable. I am saying you move onto what you can attain and afford from

the very beginning.

I am a bigger UB Bulls FBS Division I college football fan starting in the 1990’s when UB stadium first opened because UB Stadium was 10 minutes from my house so it was easier to go to. And UB Bulls football tickets were $42 at the time for the season ticket when I first started going with free parking. They are like $150 today again free parking and they tailgate. I saw Ben Roethsliburger playing against UB with Miami Redhawks. I saw Khalil Mack play for UB Bulls for fours years at $7 a ticket with free parking and all the Bulls tailgating you want. The Buffalo Bisons I saw Randy Johnson playing for the Indianapolis Indians against my Bisons. I use to go to old Little Three basketball doubleheaders for $5 for two basketball games on Saturday nights involving the three Buffalo area Division I basketball schools Canisius Golden Griffins, St. Bonaventure Bonnies and the Niagara Purple Eagles plus free parking down a side street at the old Buffalo Memorial Auditorium. I am a Big 4 basketball fan to this day following all the Buffalo area Division I college basketball teams that includes the Buffalo Bulls today.

This upcoming season is special for me personally because it’s my 50th season of being a Buffalo sports fan. Buffalo is a town that looked for Wendt Dairy Milk Cartons for Buffalo Sabres nights with buy one get one Sabres ticket free at the old Buffalo AUD. This area is a good sports town but at a price fans can afford. I always say that Buffalo will always have professional football no

matter what guaranteed. Same with professional hockey. But Buffalo could someday potentially reach an economic breaking point with both the NFL and NHL Buffalo franchises? Why do you think Buffalo got the Buffalo Destroyers for 5 years at the then new Marine Midland Arena now Key Bank Center? Because Buffalo business community leaders weren’t so sure about selling the club seats and luxury boxes in the late 1990’s then the Buffalo Bills had the Doug Flutie magic and they were able to sell the club seats and luxury boxes. The Arena Football League Buffalo Destroyers were going to be the replacement for potentially losing the Buffalo Bills in Buffalo. Same thing would happen in Buffalo hockey some business leaders would bring the AHL team back to Buffalo. My little joke Buffalo already got its dome football stadium it’s called Key Bank Center. Just for my personal opinion of all the games and sports I have seen in Key Bank Center arena football was the best viewing experience in that arena. With basketball being the worst viewing experience at Key Bank Center. Key Bank Center isn’t like the old Buffalo Memorial Auditorium for college and professional basketball again just my personal opinion.

I was a Buffalo Destroyers season ticket holder for all five years they were here in Buffalo. When the Buffalo Bills stayed the Destroyers weren’t necessary and the owner sold them to Columbus, Ohio. Another joke I have is that the future new Bills stadium will potentially make a nice stadium for the potential lnew Buffalo CFL football franchise if the Bills decide to ever move. I am a Buffalo sports fan until the day I die. But this was never about football and Buffalo fans loyalty. Loyalty is a two way street. Do I want the Buffalo Bills to leave of course not. But if they do I never worried about having professional football or professional hockey in Buffalo. This is about the NFL owners greed and the economic realities of Western New York. It comes back to what is attainable for Western New York fans? There is a breaking point and it has nothing to do with loyalty of the fans or Buffalo as a sports town. Buffalo sellout Buffalo Bandits lacrosse games. I think this PSL experience sales pitch is going to be screwed up by Legends so badly and Terry Pegula is eventually going to have to step in with the PSL pricing. He will blame Legends of course because it’s never Terry Pegula’s fault. Even though he hired Legends. Why do you think Lindy Ruff is back with the Buffalo Sabres? Because Terry Pegula’s Buffalo Sabres aren’t packing the arena anymore after 13 years of not making the playoffs. Terry Pegula guaranteed will blame the Legends sales team fire them and his team with the Buffalo Bills will take over if there are too many Bills season ticket holders that say they can’t afford the Bills PSL’s at this price point. Terry Pegula isn’t going to let Legends company with Jerry Jones run the Buffalo Bills franchise into the ground with empty Bills seats. Buffalo isn’t New York, Los Angeles and Chicago. The salaries are lower in Western New York that is reality. Also remember we are two years away from the new Bills stadium opening. Next season is when the panic potentially starts to set in for Terry Pegula if Western New York Bills fans don’t buy the Legends sales PSL’s price point in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

The NFL with very little exception is going after the rich fan.  Nothing is being done with the blue collar fan in mind.  Pegula would have not been approved to buy the Bills otherwise.  Plenty of people will pay to go and let us be honest in that it will be more appealing to those fans knowing that they do not have to settle for a greasy hotdog and a piss sink.  When Rich opened in 1973 it had more amenities in terms of seating and restrooms  but the caveman fan with his itch to run his pocket knife over the vinyl cushion or taking a handy 2X4 to a porcelain urinal made Rich the NFL equivalent to a trailer park.  

• Like 1

I’ve never understood all the drunk idiots? I went to the game to watch a game. I go in camel mode I call it. I eat and drink nothing from about 11:30 on. Nothing in, nothing out. Spend as little time around them rest rooms as possible. And the food at the stadium is enough to make you puke anyway. At least for as much as they charge they could do better that over priced food and watered down beer!

I’m already at the point I no longer care to go to games and I doubt I will pay for overpriced tickets to the new stadium when my tv has a better view!

Edited by Pete

7 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

Further, I don't think teams such as the Bengals, Titans, and the Browns have that kind of reach in terms of broadcast market.  The Bills reaching Rochester, Syracuse, Watertown, Elmira, Olean, Hamilton, Ont, and Toronto kind of just happened over the decades but it did happen.

The Titans might. When we were looking to possibly move to Knoxville there were Titans bars (and restaurants) all over the place.

Crap Throwing Clavin
5 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

The "broadcast market" is irrelevant.  Broadcast revenue is negotiated by the league, and shared among teams.  

Browns broadcast market can be limited to eight houses on Ovington Avenue, and they get the same broadcast revenue share as Dallas and New York.

RochesterRob
3 hours ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

The "broadcast market" is irrelevant.  Broadcast revenue is negotiated by the league, and shared among teams.  

Browns broadcast market can be limited to eight houses on Ovington Avenue, and they get the same broadcast revenue share as Dallas and New York.

Just like with any television show the basis starts with the advertisers.  The aggregate is the final point in determining ad rates but the larger the aggregate the more the league can charge for a commercial spot.  We as outsiders may not be keen to it but I would bet that Jerry Jones, Kraft, and most of the others care quite a bit that the reach of the Bills is potentially 8 million people versus 3 million for just NYS or 1 million for Buffalo and Erie County.  Historically, the Buffalo franchise has been treated like the red headed step child but going into the future if say the Browns came up for sale and a new market was beaconing with 1.5 times or more the market reach of Cleveland that the league will say the heck with tradition and history.  

Crap Throwing Clavin
38 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Just like with any television show the basis starts with the advertisers.  The aggregate is the final point in determining ad rates but the larger the aggregate the more the league can charge for a commercial spot.  We as outsiders may not be keen to it but I would bet that Jerry Jones, Kraft, and most of the others care quite a bit that the reach of the Bills is potentially 8 million people versus 3 million for just NYS or 1 million for Buffalo and Erie County.  Historically, the Buffalo franchise has been treated like the red headed step child but going into the future if say the Browns came up for sale and a new market was beaconing with 1.5 times or more the market reach of Cleveland that the league will say the heck with tradition and history.  

They don't care, because the broadcast agreements are negotiated between the networks and league on the basis of the broadcast markets for the teams.  The Buffalo Media Market includes Niagara, Erie, Chautauqua, Cattaraugus, Orleans, Genesee, Wyoming, and Allegheny counties, and McKean and Potter counties in PA.  

Rochester, Syracuse, Binghamton, Watertown, and Albany don't even enter in to it, because the networks negotiate based on broadcast markets, not actual viewers.

RochesterRob
1 hour ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

They don't care, because the broadcast agreements are negotiated between the networks and league on the basis of the broadcast markets for the teams.  The Buffalo Media Market includes Niagara, Erie, Chautauqua, Cattaraugus, Orleans, Genesee, Wyoming, and Allegheny counties, and McKean and Potter counties in PA.  

Rochester, Syracuse, Binghamton, Watertown, and Albany don't even enter in to it, because the networks negotiate based on broadcast markets, not actual viewers.

Bills games are broadcast in Rochester, Syracuse, Watertown, and Elmira using local stations.  Advertisers want to reach those markets and that enters into an agreement with the NFL.  You can flip between stations during a commercial break and see the same ads in each market other than when a break is provided for local content.  The NFL wants every dollar possible therefore recognition of associated markets even if those markets have their own media centers.  As far as actual viewers go it is for the most part guess work.  That a given percentage of the population chooses one program or perhaps does not have their television on at a given time.  Anyways, the Bills certainly would not be the only team in the NFL with a secondary market.  That NFL games are broadcast in secondary markets.  The Denver media market surely does not cover states such as Utah and Wyoming but Broncos games for sure are broadcast into those states.  Ford, GM, etc are paying the NFL to reach Elmira, NY; Salt Lake City, UT; and Casper, WY.  Jerry Jones and Kraft would not have it any other way.  To reach people who otherwise would not have their television on Sunday afternoon and so forth.  I'm not even sure an affiliate could opt out of an NFL game anymore like they did decades ago.  Why would they want to when surely what is good for GM has to be good for the local appliance store, Tom & Jerry lawyer team, or regional grocery chain.  

Crap Throwing Clavin
15 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

Bills games are broadcast in Rochester, Syracuse, Watertown, and Elmira using local stations.  Advertisers want to reach those markets and that enters into an agreement with the NFL.  You can flip between stations during a commercial break and see the same ads in each market other than when a break is provided for local content.  The NFL wants every dollar possible therefore recognition of associated markets even if those markets have their own media centers.  As far as actual viewers go it is for the most part guess work.  That a given percentage of the population chooses one program or perhaps does not have their television on at a given time.  Anyways, the Bills certainly would not be the only team in the NFL with a secondary market.  That NFL games are broadcast in secondary markets.  The Denver media market surely does not cover states such as Utah and Wyoming but Broncos games for sure are broadcast into those states.  Ford, GM, etc are paying the NFL to reach Elmira, NY; Salt Lake City, UT; and Casper, WY.  Jerry Jones and Kraft would not have it any other way.  To reach people who otherwise would not have their television on Sunday afternoon and so forth.  I'm not even sure an affiliate could opt out of an NFL game anymore like they did decades ago.  Why would they want to when surely what is good for GM has to be good for the local appliance store, Tom & Jerry lawyer team, or regional grocery chain.  

But that's not how the negotiations work.  They negotiate based on market, not reach.

Syracuse, Rochester, Watertown, and Elmira are different markets.

Terry Pegula transferred small percentage of Bills to daughter Laura Pegula

</snip>

Three days after Kim became Terry’s ward, Laura Pegula, Terry’s daughter from his first marriage, represented the Bills at NFL owners’ meetings in Phoenix. Shortly thereafter, The Athletic learned, Terry transferred a small percentage of the Bills to Laura to satisfy a league policy that aids in succession planning.

</snip>

Laura, 41, has long been involved in what the Pegula family refers to as the “home office” — the core petroleum businesses that made Terry a multi-billionaire. She graduated from the University of Pittsburgh with a geology degree and is an executive with JKLM Energy (named for Laura and her three half-siblings: Jessica, Kelly and Matthew).

The Pegula children have always been visible around the teams, but Laura has become a more conspicuous presence over the last year. She recently sat in on executive Q&A sessions with rank-and-file Bills and Sabres employees. When commissioner Roger Goodell delivered his annual state of the NFL address last month in Orlando, Laura represented the Pegulas while Terry sat near the lobby bar with Scott Radecic, senior principal of Bills stadium architect Populous. Laura was the only Pegula child in attendance on April 24 for the Sabres’ introduction of new head coach Lindy Ruff, standing next to her father in the photo op.

To ensure the most efficient succession plans possible, the NFL discourages franchise ownership by a single person. For decades, majority owners had to maintain control of at least 51 percent of the team, but the threshold has been continually throttled down over the years, with a “controlling family” now required to own at least 30 percent and individual family members allowed to own as little as 1 percent.

Each May, teams are required to file an updated succession plan that must be approved according to established league guidelines. An NFL source who has been involved in succession planning says to be compliant teams are required to designate a successor with a controlling interest, an effort to make any transition smoother and curtail potential family infighting.

</snip>

• Like 2

On 4/22/2024 at 3:56 PM, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

And you get a quarter-share of an asset that appreciates at a surprisingly high rate of return.

It will be confiscated during the next communist revolution. 

10 hours ago, Nouseforaname said:

It will be confiscated during the next communist revolution. 

When was the first one?.....oh yeah Biden in 2020.

• Sad 1