Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

GME, Hedge Funds, Citadel and Reddit

Foxx

Nouseforaname
7 minutes ago, Ann said:

Pretty much what I have been reading for days.  The only people squealing at the moment are the talking-heads and the "elites." 

Nasdaq CEO even suggesting a halt to trading is incredible. Simply incredible.

This is all theater. Again, the people who will eventually get &#%$ed will be retail investors stuck holding their dicks once the stock falls to it's fundamental value.

3 minutes ago, Meazza said:

This is all theater. Again, the people who will eventually get &#%$ed will be retail investors stuck holding their dicks once the stock falls to it's fundamental value.

it depends. 

I wonder how much retail money went in and the median investment. A lot of this is short sellers covering positions. But I’m sure there are some dopes that got caught up and put in way more than they can afford, but would also bet that’s the minority. 

Nouseforaname
2 minutes ago, Dubs part Dub said:

it depends. 

I wonder how much retail money went in and the median investment. A lot of this is short sellers covering positions. But I’m sure there are some dopes that got caught up and put in way more than they can afford, but would also bet that’s the minority. 

@GG1 explained it best.  Do you really think that multi billion dollar hedge funds will all be caught? Maybe some but this seems as if it's retail investors driving up the stock and continuing to drive it up.

Sorry but there's no way that retail investors aren't the one that get &#%$ed.

8 minutes ago, Meazza said:

@GG1 explained it best.  Do you really think that multi billion dollar hedge funds will all be caught? Maybe some but this seems as if it's retail investors driving up the stock and continuing to drive it up.

will ALL be “caught”?  of course not. But this is painful for many hedge funds and likely some retail investors who got caught up and didn’t know what was really going on. 

• Like 1

Nouseforaname
2 minutes ago, Dubs part Dub said:

will ALL be “caught”?  of course not. But this is painful for many hedge funds and likely some retail investors who got caught up and didn’t know what was really going on. 

Some, yes but when the dust settles, chances are that the retail investors will be the ones hurt the most.  

Nouseforaname
Just now, DC Tom said:

Except most of the institutions apparently haven't.  Melvin Capital just got out of their positions yesterday afternoon, and there's reportedly several just as badly exposed.

Then in that case, those guys need to fork over their MBA's.

50 minutes ago, Meazza said:

There was a $2.75B capital injection by the hedge fund targeted earlier this week. There is a reason this is making the news and the Biden administration is "going to look into it," and it ain't because Joe Schmoe was left holding the bag.

• Like 1
  • FANtastic 1

1 minute ago, Ann said:

There was a $2B capital call by the hedge fund targeted earlier this week. There is a reason this is making the news and the Biden administration is "going to look into it," and it ain't because Joe Schmoe was left holding the bag.

I saw something that said the WSB sub was it’s own hedge fund with 2.2M investors at an average investment of $6,200. 

that’s almost definitely not true, but kind of the point I’m interested in. How many “retail” investors at what cost. 

• Wow 1

26 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Never underestimate the stupidity of people in large groups, particularly on reddit.  

I mean, just go on reddit, and you'll see people saying "I'm riding this stock to 1000!"  Yeah, it's not going to 1000.  GameStop is not ending up with a market cap twice as large as Ford.  Even if it hits 1000, no one on Robinhood is getting their order filled at 1000.

Those are the idiots that end up holding the bag.  Hedge funds don't end up holding the bag...they just hemorrhage billions unwinding their positions.

About $30 billion of that stock was traded today.  A stock that's maybe worth a few hundred million in total.

Nouseforaname
1 minute ago, Ann said:

So the subreddit is down, discord closed the wall street bets community. Methinks these people are getting a taste of big tech and who the power is behind it, and it is only a matter of time before worse happens.

Are you sure? I'm literally on it right now.

14 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Five bucks free cash per share, and $5B in total revenue, I could see about a billion - $15/share - valuation at the high end.  $8 is probably more reasonable, though.

But like I said earlier...more than Ford?  No.

First, you need to find $500 mil to refinance the debt, then get out of the leases before you consider anything for the shareholders.  

Nouseforaname
2 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

First part's easy - sell a million shares this week.

(Yes, I'm joking.  That'd be a hell of a class-action suit.)

That's the worst part.  If I'm an insider at Gamestop, I'm dreading the fact that I own so much shares and yet I'm not allowed to sell them.

3 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

First part's easy - sell a million shares this week.

(Yes, I'm joking.  That'd be a hell of a class-action suit.)

Again, just like what Kodak wanted to do earlier in 2020 until SEC slapped them.