Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

General Stock-Investment Talk

plenzmd1

Interesting, Twitter strong quarter. Thought the exit of Trump and his followers would hurt. Cramer says advertisers pay more when the rancor goes down. Hmm.

3 minutes ago, Ann said:

There was some kind of babbling that it was going to become a subscription (paid for) site. Buy the news...

That is more likely the cause of any uptick they might have had and not advertising as they have definitely seen a downward trend in users

5 minutes ago, Ann said:

There was some kind of babbling that it was going to become a subscription (paid for) site. Buy the news...

Certain aspects, not all. They are talking of making original content and usage of Tweetdeck (because it is being used as a work around to advertisements on regular Twitter), a subscription. Most of the Twitterverse would still be free.

Nouseforaname
3 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Interesting, Twitter strong quarter. Thought the exit of Trump and his followers would hurt. Cramer says advertisers pay more when the rancor goes down. Hmm.

Stay away from social media companies.  

Facebook, Twitter and God knows who else. 

Just buy MSFT.  

1 hour ago, Meazza said:

Stay away from social media companies.  

Facebook, Twitter and God knows who else. 

Just buy MSFT.  

That's my "Peter Lynch" side.  I hate the social media companies and their BS.  No way I want my money in them.

(* I did make a pile on FB once it started actually going up)

I have done quite well recently with SPACs otherwise known as blank check companies.  They are basically just holding companies loaded with cash that were formed to merge with promising private companies and take them public.  

What I like about them, downside protection at par value which is often $10 a share.  Few trade below their par value for very long.  They spike pretty hard based on target rumors, LOIs inked, Definitive Agreements filed, and then once the ultimate merger is approved and the company begins trading on an exchange under the new ticker so there are mutliple events which provide an opportunity to realize strong returns.  Anything involving clean energy, electric vehicles, batteries, or Fintech generally goes ballistic in the current market.  

As long as you don't chase these stocks at stupid valuations its hard to lose money.  Median ROI on these investments is like 55% return assuming a purchase at $10.  I hold BTNB, BTWN for the Peter Thiel hype.  THCB is my battery play and CCIV is my electric vehicle play.  BFT is my fintech play.  I expect 100% plus returns on all 4 positions.  

Past plays NBAC, CIIC, NPA, DMYT, SHLL, DMYD, XL.  All were nice money makers.  Still kicking myself for missing on LOAK (now trading as DNMR) because I wanted it under $14 and missed the run to $65.

4 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

I don't have enough time to research that stuff.  I just use a fiduciary.  They've done well for me.

Mine's done wonders for me!  :classic_biggrin:

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

I don't have enough time to research that stuff.  I just use a fiduciary.  They've done well for me.

Ask your Fiduciary/Planner if they are personally managing your portfolio. If they are ask how many clients that have.  If they have a lot of clients and they aren’t outsourcing the management or managing algorithmically you may want to question that.  Now if all their portfolios are passively managed and all he does is rebalance you may also question that.  If you’re ok with passive investing that’s fine.  But if that’s all they offer question  that too. 

Investments are only a part of a well designed and maintained plan. A lot of other components goes into it. 

hmm. have owned Disney forever and a day. Man if that stock can do this with the pandemic, think where it will be 2 years from now with a year of the parks serving a whole bunch of folks who aint had their family to Disney in 2years or so. 

bullish as hell on that company

On 2/12/2021 at 4:33 AM, plenzmd1 said:

hmm. have owned Disney forever and a day. Man if that stock can do this with the pandemic, think where it will be 2 years from now with a year of the parks serving a whole bunch of folks who aint had their family to Disney in 2years or so. 

bullish as hell on that company

• Disney EPS for the quarter ending December 31, 2020 was $0.01, a 99.14% decline year-over-year.

SELL MORTIMER SELL!!! 

It still pisses me off that the Microsoft IPO was there for the taking in 1986.  Looked like another reasonably good prospect but not the home run hitter that it became a dozen plus years later.  I was at Cornell and needed books and rent money so the 2,000 dollars in savings went for education.  The 2,000 dollars plus the 100 dollars under the sofa cushion would have bought the 100 shares that turned into 1.4 million dollars just a little over 13 years later.  And yes I am the type of guy to hold onto things.  Damn it still 35 years later.  Got to go work on that time machine.

20 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

It still pisses me off that the Microsoft IPO was there for the taking in 1986.  Looked like another reasonably good prospect but not the home run hitter that it became a dozen plus years later.  I was at Cornell and needed books and rent money so the 2,000 dollars in savings went for education.  The 2,000 dollars plus the 100 dollars under the sofa cushion would have bought the 100 shares that turned into 1.4 million dollars just a little over 13 years later.  And yes I am the type of guy to hold onto things.  Damn it still 35 years later.  Got to go work on that time machine.

Yeah if you get that working, I think it may end up being worth more than MSFT stock

15 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

• Disney EPS for the quarter ending December 31, 2020 was $0.01, a 99.14% decline year-over-year.

SELL MORTIMER SELL!!! 

Disney's Streaming Service Sees Unstoppable Growth