Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Volcanoes and Earthquakes

Foxx

Uncle Joe
18 hours ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Mt Hood would like to have a word with both of them.

Actually Mt Rainer:

mtn peaks.JPG

Edited by Uncle Joe
Mt St Helens was 9,677 before blowing her top
  • Like 1

Uncle Joe
19 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Hood's prettier.

Hood is impressive from Portland. Picture flying South from PDX to San Diego prior to watching Bills v Chargers at SoFi.

Mt Hood.jpg

I can see Mt Jefferson from my back yard on a clear day.

Edited by Uncle Joe
  • Like 1

Fansince88
7 hours ago, Uncle Joe said:

Hood is impressive from Portland. Picture flying South from PDX to San Diego prior to watching Bills v Chargers at SoFi.

Mt Hood.jpg

I live near the Adirondack mountains. In fact I take a few rides on the Motorcycle through them each year. Always thought they were beautiful and majestic peaks......then I visited the rocky mountains. Just wow! That was a drive from Denver to Utah. 

• Like 1

Uncle Joe
56 minutes ago, Fansince88 said:

I live near the Adirondack mountains. In fact I take a few rides on the Motorcycle through them each year. Always thought they were beautiful and majestic peaks......then I visited the rocky mountains. Just wow! That was a drive from Denver to Utah. 

I went to Denver once for work to visit the AT&T facility. I went on a trip through Golden up the hill to Central City for some food and gambling. Elevation 8,498 ft.

• Like 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
On 2/29/2024 at 11:17 AM, Uncle Joe said:

Mt Hood.jpg

I think the reason I find Hood to be such an attractive mountain is because it has that nice symmetric single cone that's still intact at the summit.  Rainer's more flattened, like it blew it's top recently (Hood erupted more recently, but I don't think it was an explosive eruption.)  Shasta's intact, but has three summits, so looks lopsided.

Rainer's more interesting, though, since it's going to destroy Seattle and Tacoma.

• 1 month later...
Crap Throwing Clavin

So apparently there's a tsunami in progress in Okinawa, after a 7.5 in Taiwan.

• Wow 1

Uncle Joe
18 hours ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

So apparently there's a tsunami in progress in Okinawa, after a 7.5 in Taiwan.

I saw someone taking a video in Taiwan instead of duck and cover. I was waiting to see a fluorescent light smack him upside his head while he was taking cell phone video. 

Crap Throwing Clavin
39 minutes ago, Uncle Joe said:

I saw someone taking a video in Taiwan instead of duck and cover. I was waiting to see a fluorescent light smack him upside his head while he was taking cell phone video. 

Years ago, in an office I worked, we were watching a thunderstorm.  A funnel cloud started to form, and people started to move in to the stairwell.  I stayed at the window...

"Tom, you should get away from the window..."

"No way!  A tornado is forming.  When am I ever going to see this again?"

Some people's risk management is just different.

• Like 4

Uncle Joe
1 hour ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Years ago, in an office I worked, we were watching a thunderstorm.  A funnel cloud started to form, and people started to move in to the stairwell.  I stayed at the window...

"Tom, you should get away from the window..."

"No way!  A tornado is forming.  When am I ever going to see this again?"

Some people's risk management is just different.

I was in an old building in Portland when the earthquake hit in Olympia Washington. Sitting next to a tall, outer window on the 6th floor I watched it flex.

I threw caution aside and went 6 floors down the stairs and as far away from any tall building as I could get.

Those were my instincts...

• Cheers 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
22 minutes ago, Uncle Joe said:

I was in an old building in Portland when the earthquake hit in Olympia Washington. Sitting next to a tall, outer window on the 6th floor I watched it flex.

I threw caution aside and went 6 floors down the stairs and as far away from any tall building as I could get.

Those were my instincts...

When we had the earthquake 12 years ago in DC, everyone left the building except me and one other guy who said "That's an earthquake?  Let's do it again!  It's not scientific if it's not repeatable."

Some people are just different.

• Like 1

Fansince88
2 hours ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

When we had the earthquake 12 years ago in DC, everyone left the building except me and one other guy who said "That's an earthquake?  Let's do it again!  It's not scientific if it's not repeatable."

Some people are just different.

Yes, take me for instance

That's all I got. 

• Like 1

Fansince88
6 minutes ago, MothersMilk said:

Anyone feel the one that hit Jersey this morning?

Friend of mine in Syracuse says he felt it in his office building

8 minutes ago, MothersMilk said:

Anyone feel the one that hit Jersey this morning?

I'm in Maryland and it was devastating!

image.png.3cce67d67e595ae637357e05c52d3bc2.png

Seriously, a couple people here said they felt it <shrugs>

• Haha 3
  • Applause 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
15 minutes ago, Cinga said:

I'm in Maryland and it was devastating!

image.png.3cce67d67e595ae637357e05c52d3bc2.png

Seriously, a couple people here said they felt it <shrugs>

Where in MD?

The northeast is on a solid plate of basalt, so seismic waves travel pretty far.  But so much of MD is this lousy alluvial clay soil, that it dampens the seismic waves.

6 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Where in MD?

The northeast is on a solid plate of basalt, so seismic waves travel pretty far.  But so much of MD is this lousy alluvial clay soil, that it dampens the seismic waves.

The people that said that work in the Parkville area. I'm Westminster/Hampstead and no one here felt it. 

• Like 1