Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Gardening / Homesteading

The Guy In Pants

• 2 weeks later...
Uncle Joe

A Washington and Oregon State law that passed in 2019 said by January 1, 2024, retailers “must include proof that all eggs and egg products provided in intrastate commerce” follow 'guidelines for cage-free housing.' So now, walk into any grocery store statewide, and you'll see only eggs that are at least cage-free.

Basically the price of eggs has doubled since the 1st of the year along with everything Bidenomics.
I had access to free farm fresh eggs a couple years ago and could possibly get some chickens if so inclined ( I don't have acreage but it legal where I'm at)
Somebody posted this video on another site and i found it somewhat humorous:

• Like 1

The Guy In Pants

My wife made a good point and I paused all projects until I get the garden going. I have hundreds of seedlings started inside the house and didn't have my beds built or garden laid out. So; been working on that in between work and work. The hill slopes in two directions; back to front and right to left. I didn't want to dig to put fence posts in and found these sweet fence anchors on Amazon I am going to try out this weekend. Along the back and extending about 60 feet to the left will be more beds and some rows of blueberries, raspberries, muscadines, maybe a couple fruit trees. Have not decided yet. 

I used untreated pine but sealed with 2 coats of a 10 year food safe garden bed sealant. Shit's expensive. These are 4x8. I filled with a raised bed compost soil mix from a local guy. Very good quality. The last batch I received from a different company was absolute crap at the old house. This is great consistency. I am going to cover the aisles with cardboard, weed fabric and wood chips so I don't have to mow. 

Edited by The Guy In Pants
  • Like 3

Fansince88
12 hours ago, The Guy In Pants said:

My wife made a good point and I paused all projects until I get the garden going. I have hundreds of seedlings started inside the house and didn't have my beds built or garden laid out. So; been working on that in between work and work. The hill slopes in two directions; back to front and right to left. I didn't want to dig to put fence posts in and found these sweet fence anchors on Amazon I am going to try out this weekend. Along the back and extending about 60 feet to the left will be more beds and some rows of blueberries, raspberries, muscadines, maybe a couple fruit trees. Have not decided yet. 

I used untreated pine but sealed with 2 coats of a 10 year food safe garden bed sealant. Shit's expensive. These are 4x8. I filled with a raised bed compost soil mix from a local guy. Very good quality. The last batch I received from a different company was absolute crap at the old house. This is great consistency. I am going to cover the aisles with cardboard, weed fabric and wood chips so I don't have to mow. 

Made me think of this:

That said, shouldn't a raised bed be.......raised? Neighbor of mine built his out of metal roofing with a handrail around the top. You are not kidding on the food grade coating. Pricey isnt doing it justice. 

• Like 2

The Guy In Pants
1 hour ago, Fansince88 said:

Made me think of this:

That said, shouldn't a raised bed be.......raised? Neighbor of mine built his out of metal roofing with a handrail around the top. You are not kidding on the food grade coating. Pricey isnt doing it justice. 

Yeah, I could have went taller but they looked weird on the slope. 

• Like 2

The Guy In Pants

Repotting my seedlings for the second time this morning. They’re getting big. Still have a couple weeks before I can put them out 

• Like 4

Fansince88
On 3/2/2024 at 5:27 AM, The Guy In Pants said:

Repotting my seedlings for the second time this morning. They’re getting big. Still have a couple weeks before I can put them out 

Couple months for me. 

• Cheers 2

The Guy In Pants
20 hours ago, Fansince88 said:

Couple months for me. 

Yesterday I put my first rotation of onions, potatoes, carrots, peas and beets in. 

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
The Guy In Pants

Hope everyone is well. Not the best picture of my plants. I had them all on the shelves and then I couldn't get the lights high enough anymore so ran some string. I cant wait to get my greenhouse up. I want so bad to put them out. I am going to start hardening them in anticipation of putting them out in 2 weeks. 

The small tomatoes are one that didn't grow as well as the others. I am trying to keep them going. Switched to indirect light. 

May be an image of cold frame and seedlings

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Uncle Joe
4 hours ago, Ann said:

Time to buy!

11.jpg.10e14eac9df689aaa4edb1e1977d5edb.jpg

Sitting on the patio now. It was 70 and sunny today. That said I'm trying to get a months work done in 5 days. At my age that is not a good idea. Making a dent so that when May arrives I can do seasonal planting and enjoy the summer.

PS I'm not talking acreage. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 2

MothersMilk
On 3/15/2024 at 5:40 AM, The Guy In Pants said:

Hope everyone is well. Not the best picture of my plants. I had them all on the shelves and then I couldn't get the lights high enough anymore so ran some string. I cant wait to get my greenhouse up. I want so bad to put them out. I am going to start hardening them in anticipation of putting them out in 2 weeks. 

The small tomatoes are one that didn't grow as well as the others. I am trying to keep them going. Switched to indirect light. 

May be an image of cold frame and seedlings

The best fruit/vegetables I've ever grown had horse manure raked in over the top. Not hot like chicken manure/rabbit manure... a very medium type that is usually available for free if you ask.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MothersMilk said:

The best fruit/vegetables I've ever grown had horse manure raked in over the top. Not hot like chicken manure/rabbit manure... a very medium type that is usually available for free if you ask.

Horse manure can be hot. It needs to age out.

• Like 1

Fansince88
On 3/24/2024 at 9:25 PM, MothersMilk said:

Works great if you love weeding.

• Popcorn 1

MothersMilk
On 3/25/2024 at 11:55 AM, Foxx said:

Horse manure can be hot. It needs to age out.

Oh yeah. We had horses back in WNY so there were always piles of varying age. Never a problem.

2 hours ago, Fansince88 said:

Works great if you love weeding.

That's where straw comes in.

• Like 2

mead107
11 hours ago, MothersMilk said:

Oh yeah. We had horses back in WNY so there were always piles of varying age. Never a problem.

That's where straw comes in.

So you sip horse poop through a straw. Interesting. What are the health benefits? 🥸😳🤪

• Haha 3
  • Popcorn 1

• 3 weeks later...
The Guy In Pants

Shop got finished yesterday. Now for electrical

image.thumb.png.6deeb5cec77023d5d99331d2a9885e32.png

• Like 6

Fansince88
On 4/19/2024 at 5:58 AM, The Guy In Pants said:

Shop got finished yesterday. Now for electrical

image.thumb.png.6deeb5cec77023d5d99331d2a9885e32.png

Looks like a nice size. I could put out some nice furniture in there. 

• Like 1