Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Gardening / Homesteading

The Guy In Pants

27 minutes ago, Fansince88 said:

If I can figure out how to share a video here my youngest sons mind saved the day. We tried to rent a lift but that fell through. With a double 2 block pully system and hinge point we got the trusses on the wall. 

You should probably upload video to YouTube that way you can document what you are doing and share. You could also create a blog here and post images or anything else you might want, which you could also share. 

• Like 2

The Guy In Pants

USDA rep came out to the farm the other day. I qualify for more than just the first program I inquired about since I'm a veterans and a first time farm. 

If you know me; I don't trust anything gov't related as far as I can throw them. There will be fine print and before I enter into any contract it will be read. I may have figured out what to do with that property we got shafted on after all. 6 of those 20x80 greenhouses would do many a cut flower or seasonal plant growing. Just cannot be grown in pots. I was planning on partnering with a local bee group and letting them lease some of my property there for bees in exchange for honey to sell at the little roadside stand I was thinking about having. I have this old trailer I want to build on to and just tow it to the road and set there. 

That shit bag developer just got his pee pee wacked by the county. Won't be adding on to a 4th subdivision he has. He claims they are breaching the contract from June and has promised a legal battle. I'm fairly certain his little shit stain attorney can find some kind of sleazy way to get what his client wants. &#%$ them. I did not get to see the pictures from the meeting but apparently all of the land clearing has had done directly behind these established farms has washed away pastures, fences and caused flooding. he claims there are silt fences there but apparently they aren't. His plans also have allowed homes to be built inside the set backs and people are pissed about having houses right off their back porch.

I keep riding down the road and looking at the massive destruction they've done to a once beautiful farm. I'm disgusted.  I suppose I will forever be aggravated about it. They opened a second entrance to the portion that was already finished. People can use our road now. Traffic has increased a little. Our neighbors dog, Bella, was 16. She's lived there her whole life. She's always just wandered the property and visited neighbors. She was hit and killed by someone a couple weeks ago. Neighbors said they knew the traffic increased and needed to keep her inside more but rushed to the hospital to have their 4th kid so family was caring for her. That day, when I got home from work she bebopped up to me like she always did and I loved on her a bit and told her to go have fun and I'd see her tomorrow. Camera caught her going past my barn around 5:30. They called me after 7.

I love traffic, subdivisions and people. 🤣

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, The Guy In Pants said:

USDA rep came out to the farm the other day. I qualify for more than just the first program I inquired about since I'm a veterans and a first time farm. 

If you know me; I don't trust anything gov't related as far as I can throw them. There will be fine print and before I enter into any contract it will be read. I may have figured out what to do with that property we got shafted on after all. 6 of those 20x80 greenhouses would do many a cut flower or seasonal plant growing. Just cannot be grown in pots. I was planning on partnering with a local bee group and letting them lease some of my property there for bees in exchange for honey to sell at the little roadside stand I was thinking about having. I have this old trailer I want to build on to and just tow it to the road and set there. 

That shit bag developer just got his pee pee wacked by the county. Won't be adding on to a 4th subdivision he has. He claims they are breaching the contract from June and has promised a legal battle. I'm fairly certain his little shit stain attorney can find some kind of sleazy way to get what his client wants. &#%$ them. I did not get to see the pictures from the meeting but apparently all of the land clearing has had done directly behind these established farms has washed away pastures, fences and caused flooding. he claims there are silt fences there but apparently they aren't. His plans also have allowed homes to be built inside the set backs and people are pissed about having houses right off their back porch.

I keep riding down the road and looking at the massive destruction they've done to a once beautiful farm. I'm disgusted.  I suppose I will forever be aggravated about it. They opened a second entrance to the portion that was already finished. People can use our road now. Traffic has increased a little. Our neighbors dog, Bella, was 16. She's lived there her whole life. She's always just wandered the property and visited neighbors. She was hit and killed by someone a couple weeks ago. Neighbors said they knew the traffic increased and needed to keep her inside more but rushed to the hospital to have their 4th kid so family was caring for her. That day, when I got home from work she bebopped up to me like she always did and I loved on her a bit and told her to go have fun and I'd see her tomorrow. Camera caught her going past my barn around 5:30. They called me after 7.

I love traffic, subdivisions and people. 🤣

I wanted to give your post two reactions. I am so sorry to hear about Bella, that is absolutely terrible. At 16, I don't imagine she got around the greatest. People...

• Like 3
  • Love 1

The Guy In Pants
20 hours ago, Foxx said:

I wanted to give your post two reactions. I am so sorry to hear about Bella, that is absolutely terrible. At 16, I don't imagine she got around the greatest. People...

Thanks man. Not even my dog but it bothered me. 

This is here when she stopped down at the barn while i was working one day. Such a sweetheart

May be an image of dog

• Like 1
  • Love 2

• 4 weeks later...
The Guy In Pants

Making breakfast bars. Local honey, bananas, peanut butter and oatmeal.IMG_3602.thumb.jpeg.1b2e007b52589ec7ea8996e23a0669a4.jpeg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, The Guy In Pants said:

Making breakfast bars. Local honey, bananas, peanut butter and oatmeal.IMG_3602.thumb.jpeg.1b2e007b52589ec7ea8996e23a0669a4.jpeg

Do you dehydrate the bananas first?

The Guy In Pants
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Foxx said:

Do you dehydrate the bananas first?

No sir. I have one but I just mash them up and mix them in. Is it better? Mine are the consistency on a thick cookie.

Edited by The Guy In Pants

• 2 weeks later...
The Guy In Pants

Put some lettuce and spinach in the ground a couple weeks ago. Love to see them poking through the soil. 

Seeds arrived from Baker Creek and Seed Savers Exchange. starting them this weekend. My grow lights (shop lights) came in and i have to set the shelves up. 

Trying to figure out where to put the garden on this property. I had plans but when sitting out there running things through my mind, I changed my mind. 

has anyone built raised beds on a slope? In my mind I have an idea on how to do it and keep it looking nice. But; I'd like to keep the flat areas for my wife's cut flowers. Plus; the flowers will look great with the barn and riding arena as the back drop.

Oh, and I am going pollinator and companion planting heavy this year. I'm so gosh damn excited it's not funny.

Also trying to get the fencing done. Still need to get the wire up before the rails. The pad for my shop is done, just need to finish grading and pour the skirt in the front. Then they need to pour the wash pit for the horses. I have to pull the insulation down from the roof. Its deteriorated and flaking. Damn double bubble crap they used.

May be an image of text

• Like 1

The Guy In Pants

Oh; here is a pic from the Christmas lights we had up. We put two horse inflatables in the riding arena

May be an image of 1 person, television, christmas tree, Christmas stocking, hearth and text

May be an image of horse and text

• Like 1
  • Applause 2

The Guy In Pants

I've started seeds for 64 tomato plants and tons of onions and peppers. Just ordered the wire fencing and a fence roller tractor attachment to finish the pastures. Once I can get that done; its moving on to building my raised beds. By spring we hope to have our horses home and our cows. Although there seems to be a disconnect between us when it comes to cute and fluffy mini cows or cows that go to market 🤣🤣🤣

Tried to come up with better storage for the tractor and trailers and trucks. They all have to come out of the barn. I just ordered a 30x55 carport to be put up next to the barn. That should work for hay storage as well. My shop should be done in about a month I think. They're pouring the skirt now for in front of the doors. 

We had massive rain the last month of so and my driveway washed out in a couple spots. Thankfully the box blade for the tractor made quick work of that. Projects never end. At least the Bills lost so I can focus on life instead of their bullshit.

Edited by The Guy In Pants
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Spring has sprung! I don't think I am growing anything besides herbs (we are traveling too much) but it is nice to see the dormat grass turn green.

• Like 2

Fansince88

My garden did horrible last year. Well, cukes grew great because I changed to a climbing system and pruned and picked often. Tomatoes and peppers we had plenty of plant and no fruit. Tried planting without Miracle Grow but that didnt work. Any suggestions for a natural replacement for feed?

• Cheers 2

21 minutes ago, Fansince88 said:

Any suggestions for a natural replacement for feed?

Use mushroom compost for soil supplementation.

We replenish the soil every two-three years with it. It is nutrient-rich and also inhibits weed growth.

I also add milorganite for an added slow-release nitrogen.

You'll thank me.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Fansince88 said:

My garden did horrible last year. Well, cukes grew great because I changed to a climbing system and pruned and picked often. Tomatoes and peppers we had plenty of plant and no fruit. Tried planting without Miracle Grow but that didnt work. Any suggestions for a natural replacement for feed?

The climbing system also works really well for green beans as well. I used to seriously consider ding-dong-ditching both cukes and green beans (I froze the green and yellow beans) when I lived in NYS because I had so many. And, I only used earth boxes! Ever see those 10' tall polls? Beans love to climb, too.

• Like 2

Fansince88
2 hours ago, Ann said:

The climbing system also works really well for green beans as well. I used to seriously consider ding-dong-ditching both cukes and green beans (I froze the green and yellow beans) when I lived in NYS because I had so many. And, I only used earth boxes! Ever see those 10' tall polls? Beans love to climb, too.

My green beans have definitely not been a problem. Keep about 12 every year to sow next. Beans are plenty. That said, don't you find them soggy when you freeze them or do you have a trick? The wife also plants a row of climbing Snow Peas. Not a fan but she picks and eats them all summer.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fansince88 said:

My green beans have definitely not been a problem. Keep about 12 every year to sow next. Beans are plenty. That said, don't you find them soggy when you freeze them or do you have a trick? The wife also plants a row of climbing Snow Peas. Not a fan but she picks and eats them all summer.

I blanch for two minutes, dry and Hubby foodsavers them. They have crunch when we microwave them to cook. I do not bother to flash freeze before foodsavering, but that would ensure they are never soggy.

Mmmmm snow peas.

• Like 3

Fansince88
3 hours ago, Ann said:

I blanch for two minutes, dry and Hubby foodsavers them. They have crunch when we microwave them to cook. I do not bother to flash freeze before foodsavering, but that would ensure they are never soggy.

Mmmmm snow peas.

Haha, I read this to my wife, She said, 'My hubby sucks all the air our with a straw in a freezer bag. Yup, That's how I do it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2