Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Gardening / Homesteading

The Guy In Pants

The Guy In Pants
13 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

New people just make me wish that I had the money to buy the place they now occupy so they would have wound up elsewhere.  

The area homesteading group had a post the other day that asked "If money was no option; what would have purchased for your farm/homestead". I replied "25,000 acres so I could prevent people from moving nearby and messing everything up."

I'll stand by that until the day I die. 

• Haha 1
  • FANtastic 2

3 hours ago, The Guy In Pants said:

The area homesteading group had a post the other day that asked "If money was no option; what would have purchased for your farm/homestead". I replied "25,000 acres so I could prevent people from moving nearby and messing everything up."

I'll stand by that until the day I die. 

🎼

I live back in the woods you see
My woman and the kids and the dogs and me
I got a shotgun, a rifle and a four-wheel drive
And a country boy can survive
Country folks can survive     🎶

• Cheers 2

If you are in the Buffalo area, the North Tonawanda Farmer's Market (the one behind the church, corner of Robinson and Bryant) won. If you go, Saturday has the most vendors,  Tuesday the least.

American Farmland Trust and the Farmers Market Coalition announce the winners of the 15th annual America’s Farmers Market Celebration, a national event honoring the role of farmers markets that ran between June 21 – September 18, 2023. Markets receiving the most public votes are declared the national winners. The celebration also recognizes top markets in five regions nationwide and in all 50 states. 

National Winners  

National winners are awarded $5,000 for first, $2,500 for second, $1,500 for third, $750 for fourth, and $250 for fifth. These funds are awarded to markets for marketing, communications, and other needs that help expand the market’s reach and impact.   

FIRST: North Tonawanda City Market | North Tonawanda, NY – Awarded $5,000  

The excitement that this competition created was something like I have never seen before at our farmers market. From the farmers, vendors, media, community, businesses, and people both young and old, everyone was all on board. As the Market Manager, for me it was all about the creation of a tremendous marketing opportunity that would generate great exposure for the market. It was such a beautiful thing to see how people came together to support our market. Thanks to the American Farmers Trust for providing us with a platform to showcase all the incredible happenings at the North Tonawanda City Market. The exposure from this has brought in shoppers from all over the Western New York region that have never been to our market.

• Applause 1
  • Cheers 2

On 9/20/2023 at 5:58 AM, The Guy In Pants said:

Morning everyone. Hope all is well and you are all navigating this crazy shit well. Doing ok here. Been busy. Did my 50 hour break in service on the tractor a few weeks ago. Permit is approved for my shop. Concrete guy said about 4 weeks before he can get the slab poured. I am itching to spend the winter building my stuff to sell in the spring. 

Last weekend I removed about 6 acres of 3 wire fencing the previous owner had up. I didn't have a way to spool it up neatly so I just used a few rain barrels. I removed my water valves, flipped them over and then threaded the wire into them letting it spool itself as it wanted. Made quick work of it actually. then we used the tractor to pull out the 100 plus metal posts. All the damn fire ant bites and bee stings had me ready to nap come the evening. I still have some clean up to do before I can bush hog the fence line. There is trash and fallen trees all through it. 

Not sure what we are going to do with the greenhouse. Still trying to figure out where we want to put it. One thing at a time. 

What stuff are you building?

• Like 1

The Guy In Pants
10 hours ago, Fansince88 said:

What stuff are you building?

I have a small CNC for wood and PVC that I use to make signs. I also make saddle racks, tack boxes, clocks and other random things. I haven't done anything in over 2 years due to everything else going on. These are a couple of the last few things I did. I'm not a professional by any means but its what I like to do. I don't have a picture of the Bills clock finished but the rough is there. The SVT sign is my first with epoxy fill. 

image.thumb.png.66b935fbdc2f8bcac52af1611ca124ff.png

image.thumb.png.42aa32ba7a653c046aa52a689a3f48b2.png

image.png.1857e6cfbc92bd0393cb6343abd36c74.png

image.png.2488afca0936930a3a501553caba8c61.png

• Like 2
  • Applause 3

10 hours ago, The Guy In Pants said:

I have a small CNC for wood and PVC that I use to make signs. I also make saddle racks, tack boxes, clocks and other random things. I haven't done anything in over 2 years due to everything else going on. These are a couple of the last few things I did. I'm not a professional by any means but its what I like to do. I don't have a picture of the Bills clock finished but the rough is there. The SVT sign is my first with epoxy fill. 

image.thumb.png.66b935fbdc2f8bcac52af1611ca124ff.png

image.thumb.png.42aa32ba7a653c046aa52a689a3f48b2.png

image.png.1857e6cfbc92bd0393cb6343abd36c74.png

image.png.2488afca0936930a3a501553caba8c61.png

Been considering a CNC before retirement for post retirement income. I will have to reach out to you for suggestions

• Like 1

The Guy In Pants
1 hour ago, Fansince88 said:

Been considering a CNC before retirement for post retirement income. I will have to reach out to you for suggestions

Absolutely. Feel free to message me whenever. I’ll help where I can. The company I purchased from has some all new products. They’re very well made and a small learning curve. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2023 at 6:26 PM, The Guy In Pants said:

Absolutely. Feel free to message me whenever. I’ll help where I can. The company I purchased from has some all new products. They’re very well made and a small learning curve. 

Will do.

• Like 2

The Guy In Pants

Had a load of topsoil delivered this past weekend. Took the grapple off the tractor and put the bucket back on so I could fill holes where big rocks were removed in the pastures and fix some uneven spots. Going to blade it smooth at some point. Trying to figure out the best kind of fencing to do. Doing it myself as the quotes are a bit much. I swear it's getting damn near unaffordable to do anything but sit in the house........ and if you ask me; that's exactly what the puppet masters want us to be doing; vegging out on video games and tv losing touch with reality and becoming stupid. 

Still waiting on the concrete guy so I can get the pad poured on my shop. I went with a 30x40x12. Chose colors to match the house. Couldn't get the entire building insulated as it was over mu budget but did get 2" insulation in the roof. I will do the rest myself as money permits. 

Trying to cut through the red tape of the county so we can get a farm number but I don't think any of the tips I have been given by local farmers is going to work in my favor. they seem to have covered up the "loopholes". I know why; in order for the growth to happen they can't have rural/ag zoning in their planned areas. Therefore; they are making it difficult. What they'll do is annex me into the town and then rezone. If I had a farm number I could opt out and that would hurt them. one thing is for certain, I am finding myself losing patience with the bullshit. Seems the older I get the shorter my fuse. 

My truck had 3 recalls on it so I took it to the dealer and dropped it off last week. Since it is still under warranty for emissions and powertrain; I figured I would have them do the service and all the filters. I asked them to do a front tire only rotation. Well; they called yesterday and told me my final bill was $680. I went off on this guy over the phone. I have NEVER paid over $350 for an oil change, fuel filters and a tire rotation. I only get it done twice a year so no biggie. But this was outrageous. never again. I will take my chances and do it myself. So, I get there to get my truck and I see that my dual rear wheels have been rotated and The inside rim that is black and scratched from brake dust and rocks IS ON THE OUTSIDE! I told the guy I wrote down on the envelope and the paper I put inside it "FRONT TIRE ROTATION ONLY - Side to Side". I swear people are just stupid. And I the most stupid for even having them do it in the first place.

I did not pay the full amount because I sat there and itemized the bill with him and the parts guy. $186 for engine oil? Um, no. I said I would pay for legitimate charges. I am supposed to bring the truck back to them Saturday to put my good rims back on the outside. 

Anyway; grand scheme it doesn't matter. Life is great and we have our farm and I love it! I spend so much time outside and it feels great. I take my boots and socks off so I can stand and "ground" myself toward the end of the day. That really works. Try it if you haven't. 

Wife got these for my birthday last weekend. They have red LED's to play at night. I plan on turning a 24x24 concrete pad that the previous owner poured for a patio into a little place for gatherings. Bought a cheap rectangle pool on sale for next year and am working on refinishing some iron outdoor furniture.  Hope everyone is doing great! pay attention to the world. Things are volatile. 

image.png.51b92a6c50ddadb7fcc5d5c6686fd1f1.png

• Like 4
  • Cheers 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, The Guy In Pants said:

take my boots and socks off so I can stand and "ground" myself toward the end of the day. That really works. Try it if you haven't. 

100% does. When I was getting tachycardia daily I would step outside and do just this. Would calm it down a bit. 

• Cheers 3
  • Love 1

Trying to cut through the red tape of the county so we can get a farm number but I don't think any of the tips I have been given by local farmers is going to work in my favor. they seem to have covered up the "loopholes". I know why; in order for the growth to happen they can't have rural/ag zoning in their planned areas. Therefore; they are making it difficult. What they'll do is annex me into the town and then rezone. If I had a farm number I could opt out and that would hurt them. one thing is for certain, I am finding myself losing patience with the bullshit. Seems the older I get the shorter my fuse. 

It might be time to get an attorney involved.

Wife got these for my birthday last weekend. They have red LED's to play at night. I plan on turning a 24x24 concrete pad that the previous owner poured for a patio into a little place for gatherings. Bought a cheap rectangle pool on sale for next year and am working on refinishing some iron outdoor furniture.  Hope everyone is doing great! pay attention to the world. Things are volatile. 

image.png.51b92a6c50ddadb7fcc5d5c6686fd1f1.png

Those are awesome!

I bought a tabletop version for my brother (he already has the big outdoor ones) so he can play with his (young) grandkids. A local guy made them with Buffalo Sabres logos + bean bags, and I sent them for Christmas. Some people are so talented!

• Cheers 2
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, Fansince88 said:

Then what? How long before we get a whole garlic?

This is just a jump start. Garlic, on average, takes about 9 months to go from seed to harvest. Here in the Northeast, you generally plant them in the fall, after the first killing frost.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Saw this on FB and thought it belonged here as a good seasonal reminder. I don't have cornof my own but can sneak a few taps in a nearby cornfield to harvest all the corn syrup I need to last the whole year!

Share you own corn syrup harvesting stories here!

image.png.5388620ce9d8d8db88abd7a93131bfcf.png

:wink: 

Edited by Cinga
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

The Guy In Pants

Wife and I are at an impasse when it comes to how I want to do my garden coming up. After the pastures are fenced in and all I should have about 3 acres left for my planting. I enjoy raised beds because they are easier on my back. She hates them because they are an eyesore. I tried to compromise with a sweet ass design but she still insists I put it in the ground. Which is fine; I don't mind doing that. She sent me a video of this weed barrier. The concept is great. Cover the ground, put a hole where your seedling goes and viola; no weeds. I called time out and ask about chemicals leeching into the soil and eventually into the food. I am met with "probably so little it wouldn't make a difference. Sure. 

I thought of downt he "food forest" idea from James Prigioni youtube but not sure that will look the best in front of the house between us and the barn. I do have a ton of wood chips from the trees we took down and mulched

Anyone familiar with a weed barrier that can last multiple season and is natural with no added chemicals? I am coming up short. I see a lot with fine print so I'm certain none exists. Most are made of polypropylene some are "natural" but decompose over the growing season. Google doesn't take to many I would entertain. I am looking through some forums now but thought ya'll might use something. Picture for reference.

I am honestly thinking of just using a combo of chips and straw between rows. 6 inches or so think. That way I can till and turn it into the soil and give back the nutrients we lose. Shes just worried about weeds overtaking the garden like our last place. I told her the reason the garden got overrun is because we were in the middle of moving 20 miles away and I couldn't dedicate time to the garden. Which is true. 

Weed fabric with holes for plants to grow through

Edited by The Guy In Pants

2 hours ago, The Guy In Pants said:

Wife and I are at an impasse when it comes to how I want to do my garden coming up. After the pastures are fenced in and all I should have about 3 acres left for my planting. I enjoy raised beds because they are easier on my back. She hates them because they are an eyesore. I tried to compromise with a sweet ass design but she still insists I put it in the ground. Which is fine; I don't mind doing that. She sent me a video of this weed barrier. The concept is great. Cover the ground, put a hole where your seedling goes and viola; no weeds. I called time out and ask about chemicals leeching into the soil and eventually into the food. I am met with "probably so little it wouldn't make a difference. Sure. 

I thought of downt he "food forest" idea from James Prigioni youtube but not sure that will look the best in front of the house between us and the barn. I do have a ton of wood chips from the trees we took down and mulched

Anyone familiar with a weed barrier that can last multiple season and is natural with no added chemicals? I am coming up short. I see a lot with fine print so I'm certain none exists. Most are made of polypropylene some are "natural" but decompose over the growing season. Google doesn't take to many I would entertain. I am looking through some forums now but thought ya'll might use something. Picture for reference.

I am honestly thinking of just using a combo of chips and straw between rows. 6 inches or so think. That way I can till and turn it into the soil and give back the nutrients we lose. Shes just worried about weeds overtaking the garden like our last place. I told her the reason the garden got overrun is because we were in the middle of moving 20 miles away and I couldn't dedicate time to the garden. Which is true. 

Weed fabric with holes for plants to grow through

As James puts it the mulch is feeding next years garden. Do it. Huge advantage and upside. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, The Guy In Pants said:

You plan on planting and weeding 3 acres by hand!? Your whole life will revolve around that large garden.

Raised beds do not have to be an eyesore. Just keep on top of the wood rot, or look for a composite.

This is biodegradable, but I'd use straw or mulch before I'd buy that.  What about this one?

• Like 1

The Guy In Pants
3 hours ago, Fansince88 said:

As James puts it the mulch is feeding next years garden. Do it. Huge advantage and upside. 

Im checking with a local tree company to see about their chips they haul from sites

• Like 2

The Guy In Pants
1 hour ago, Ann said:

You plan on planting and weeding 3 acres by hand!? Your whole life will revolve around that large garden.

Raised beds do not have to be an eyesore. Just keep on top of the wood rot, or look for a composite.

This is biodegradable, but I'd use straw or mulch before I'd buy that.  What about this one?

It will be a mix of fruit trees, berries, flowers and a garden. Just have to strategically place them so my wife approves of its aesthetics. 

• Like 1