Gardening / Homesteading

The Guy In Pants

The Guy In Pants

Love the dark green leaves of new potato plants

image.thumb.jpeg.6cb8f1edbcc1160a4053a3752128be9b.jpeg

Edited by The Guy In Pants
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

Some signs of work! Not many signs of progress. 

dig-1.thumb.jpg.249eb3de6d0b51aad9796d419b058369.jpg

Yesterday they came out and started burying the lines from the gutter to the grass. While we (generally) do not freeze, we do get tons of rain. That rain can flood the gardens and the sidewalk. One way to move that water is underground onto the grass where it will be quickly soaked in. 

dig.thumb.jpg.168a33f94002925a0cf57468c9140207.jpg

I'm not all that thrilled with a black connector on white gutters, but what are ya gonna do?

They also sorta flattened this random planting area she (the lady we bought the house from) had between two live oaks (basically under the leaves). I have no idea why she had it there. When he was ripping it out, he kept encountering roots and more roots. He doesn't want to hack the roots to make the area flat and hurt the trees, and we don't want him to hack them and hurt the trees.

Fortunately, when we look down the backyards everyone seems to have a small "hill" like this, so we are just going to have him plant the grass on the slight "hill."

Supposedly they will be done with this landscaping part on Thursday. They are off for Good Friday (and this weekend). I don't see it unless he has a bigger crew show up soon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ann said:

Yesterday they came out and started burying the lines from the gutter to the grass. While we (generally) do not freeze, we do get tons of rain. That rain can flood the gardens and the sidewalk. One way to move that water is underground onto the grass where it will be quickly soaked in. 

I had a large spruce stump taken out years agon and the contractor also buried a line from the gutter drain to the yard.

(I was at work when the contractor was there)
I have a considerable dip in my yard now. Either it is from the stump hole settling or the rainwater settling in the yard, IDK

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ann said:

And today we have plants. Many more plants than I expected, but nevertheless, plants.

Keep your voice low and don’t make eye contact 😎.

• Sad 1
  • Cheers 2

Front yard is done, pavers have been sanded. Still have a lot to do in the backyard, so they are not taking tomorrow off (as I was originally told).

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Welp, it is "close" to finished. I still need the fruit trees in the lanai and the orange tree. I also need the landscape lighting. But, it looks very different and will be less maintenance for my regular lawn/landscape guy. 😛 

• Cheers 3

RochesterRob

The weather window might be opening to plant some sweet corn in mid-April with the intent of being ready for the 4th of July.  Now since I thought it that scenario will be cursed with bad weather.  Oh well.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

The Guy In Pants

Has anyone put a pond in? We would like 1/2-1 acre in the back we we would look down the hill and over the pond from the back porch. We have clay soil.

Rumor of a spring in this area that stays a little wet in this 3 foot deep ditch. 

We got about 2.5 inches of rain yesterday and it’s full.

I tried the witching rod thing last week during the dry and the only place they crossed was near here. What do you think?

D48DE34E-BC33-4845-BB8C-792B7E225EE8.jpeg

• Like 2

CarpetCrawler
3 hours ago, The Guy In Pants said:

Has anyone put a pond in? We would like 1/2-1 acre in the back we we would look down the hill and over the pond from the back porch. We have clay soil.

Rumor of a spring in this area that stays a little wet in this 3 foot deep ditch. 

We got about 2.5 inches of rain yesterday and it’s full.

I tried the witching rod thing last week during the dry and the only place they crossed was near here. What do you think?

D48DE34E-BC33-4845-BB8C-792B7E225EE8.jpeg

I haven't, but I imagine that clay is the key, if you have it, then you should be in good shape if you can find the spring and somehow route it there. How big are you talking?? Like backyard water feature size or something bigger? If not too big you could put a liner down too just to be sure. If bigger, it seems like there is a lot of work involved in making sure it is successful.

If water collects in that spot naturally, could you remove the trees and excavate there??

https://www.dec.ny.gov/permits/6321.html

https://albany.cce.cornell.edu/environment/ponds/building-a-new-pond

The Guy In Pants

I would like 1/2-1 acre pond. I do have the right soil according to the GOS and the soil composition study for our area. 

I am going to have someone come out and take a look see. I want to do exactly that; remove those trees and that be the front edge of the pond 

• Like 5

Still awaiting lanai trees, orange tree, and lighting. Hubby found a sprinkler head buried under the landscape fabric and rock, so we have our regular sprinkler guy coming over to check out everything. Two steps forward...

I have a live oak that needs trimming and got a quote (:scared3:) but needs must. Now, to get a few more quotes. 

• Like 1

On 4/20/2023 at 5:06 PM, Ann said:

WHY do I always plant on 85°+ days!?

Just a bunch of herbs and tomatoes. The rosemary is new to me. 

Is the answer because you're in Florida and NOBODY plants in January?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

The Guy In Pants

Driveway going in.

Finally got to use my grapple to move telephone poles and logs.

Rear of the property.

44BAA734-1819-4B66-9CE1-036C1F59EC03.jpeg

95F4A5E7-AA92-4CA1-971C-2C1FDACE13F4.jpeg

584BD0CA-1B40-4310-895E-C3ECFFFE9EFD.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2
  • Love 1

Jabba The Hutt
3 hours ago, The Guy In Pants said:

Driveway going in.

Finally got to use my grapple to move telephone poles and logs.

Rear of the property.

44BAA734-1819-4B66-9CE1-036C1F59EC03.jpeg

95F4A5E7-AA92-4CA1-971C-2C1FDACE13F4.jpeg

584BD0CA-1B40-4310-895E-C3ECFFFE9EFD.jpeg

Beautiful grapple:classic_love:

• Like 2

The Guy In Pants
18 hours ago, Jabba The Hutt said:

Beautiful grapple:classic_love:

Thank you; it worked well. I’m sitting out here watching the sun rise over the trees. The compromise for affordable land from family is I still get the nasty road noise albeit not as bad as where we are now. Not sure why there are so many people on the road at 6:45 but I wish they would just go the &#%$ home lol.

Not even 45 and I’m turning into “get off my lawn”. Unlike the Little Mermaid; I want to be where the people aren’t. 

1CF60DDB-A7E9-4FCB-9AC4-B80654BA9D46.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1