Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Gardening / Homesteading

The Guy In Pants

The Guy In Pants

Have been talking to a few people to assist in clearing the areas I need cleared. Attempted to run my bush hog in there but it's pretty thick in many places. Looked into renting one of those forestry mulchers........ no. Almost $2000 a day. I could not successfully do what I needed to do at those prices. Had a local fireman recommended to me. I called him and he came out yesterday afternoon and was looking at everything for about 3 hours. He looked at the grading, natural rain water run off and the proposed areas for everything and we came up with the best options without having to break the bank. Said if we caught things on the front side; we would come out better on the back side. I agree. His pricing was reasonable and we start next week. He's not doing turn key but he's going to beat it down to where its manageable for my my tractor and attachments.

Working in stages, we will get the brush and trees down next week. I will let the county know and they'll come back out to map out the property to issue the permit. After that is done he will set a driveway base and we will work on access to the back property. 

I am excited that we are finally moving forward. Since the property has been in the family for probably more than 200 years; I will not be surprised by what we find buried out there. 

• Like 2

The Guy In Pants

My wife asked me what my plans were for the weekend. I told her I didn't know. She said that I never know but always end up doing 400 things. I told her that is what happens when you have 1000 things to do; you wake up and just go. She thinks I don't like to be busy. I do like to be busy. I don't like sitting in a chair all day. I am up around 4 every day regardless of work or not. If I have to go to Lowes; I like to be there when they open for a couple reasons; fewer people and "burning daylight". The quicker I get stuff done, the quicker I can start something else. I prefer my coffee outside as the sun is coming up versus sitting in the house. 

I am headed to the very back of the property we are buying when I get home. I want to see where the rain water runs to and settles. I don't know much about putting a pond in but there used to be a natural spring back there from what I am told. I would absolutely love to put a pond in. Have any of you put a pond in? Did you utilize runoff from your property or a natural spring? I wouldn't be able to stock it until I established an ecosystem which could take a couple years. But; sitting out by the pond would be something wonderful.

• Cheers 3

The landscapers were here most of last week... well, the landscapers were at the house pulling stuff out for a few days (we have a dumpster  filled with organic stuff in the driveway), and then the guys installing the pavers for the walkways were here a few days. The paver guys are not finished, but already that change is massive and welcome.

We decided to go with only a few fruits: the local orange (satsuma), lime, and lemon. We are also getting prickly pears.  If we like (and upkeep) these, we will add more in the future. 

I have been whining about not knowing what I can grow here. Since I only do container gardening, and I know what I can successful grow in my containers, I was kinda lost. This website allowed me to click my zone and see what to plant, when. It isn't perfect ... there is no way I am planting lettuce in April. That should be in February with how warm it is here, but it really gave me a game plan.  I am looking at a lot of herbs, tomatoes, cucumbers, and chives to start. I will do cucumbers next year.  As I get more comfortable with the growing seasons here (nothing in the summer except tomatoes), I will add more to the rotation. 

• Like 2

RochesterRob
On 3/13/2023 at 11:04 AM, Ann said:

The landscapers were here most of last week... well, the landscapers were at the house pulling stuff out for a few days (we have a dumpster  filled with organic stuff in the driveway), and then the guys installing the pavers for the walkways were here a few days. The paver guys are not finished, but already that change is massive and welcome.

We decided to go with only a few fruits: the local orange (satsuma), lime, and lemon. We are also getting prickly pears.  If we like (and upkeep) these, we will add more in the future. 

I have been whining about not knowing what I can grow here. Since I only do container gardening, and I know what I can successful grow in my containers, I was kinda lost. This website allowed me to click my zone and see what to plant, when. It isn't perfect ... there is no way I am planting lettuce in April. That should be in February with how warm it is here, but it really gave me a game plan.  I am looking at a lot of herbs, tomatoes, cucumbers, and chives to start. I will do cucumbers next year.  As I get more comfortable with the growing seasons here (nothing in the summer except tomatoes), I will add more to the rotation. 

I envy you.  Watermelon at 90 plus days to maturity is a reality where you live to have it ready while the weather is still warm.  Since the idea popped into my head there has not been one season in WNY conducive to growing it here.  

• O Rly 1
  • Cheers 2

Jabba The Hutt
On 3/13/2023 at 11:04 AM, Ann said:

The prickly pears tend to look a little rough after rainy season, they get fungus and bacterial spot and rot a bit but come back strong in winter. Love the variegated prickly pear! Especially the Thornless for ease of handling pads.

12 minutes ago, Jabba The Hutt said:

The prickly pears tend to look a little rough after rainy season, they get fungus and bacterial spot and rot a bit but come back strong in winter. Love the variegated prickly pear! Especially the Thornless for ease of handling pads.

You can grow them where you are, just grow them in a pot or they will take over the world.  (Yes, we are getting spineless.)

Jabba The Hutt
7 minutes ago, Ann said:

You can grow them where you are, just grow them in a pot or they will take over the world.  (Yes, we are getting spineless.)

Our tortoise helped take care of rot spot pads:classic_laugh: Im convinced he'd go out at night and water them all night with the hose to speed the process.

MothersMilk
On 3/10/2023 at 6:46 AM, The Guy In Pants said:

My wife asked me what my plans were for the weekend. I told her I didn't know. She said that I never know but always end up doing 400 things. I told her that is what happens when you have 1000 things to do; you wake up and just go. She thinks I don't like to be busy. I do like to be busy. I don't like sitting in a chair all day. I am up around 4 every day regardless of work or not. If I have to go to Lowes; I like to be there when they open for a couple reasons; fewer people and "burning daylight". The quicker I get stuff done, the quicker I can start something else. I prefer my coffee outside as the sun is coming up versus sitting in the house. 

I am headed to the very back of the property we are buying when I get home. I want to see where the rain water runs to and settles. I don't know much about putting a pond in but there used to be a natural spring back there from what I am told. I would absolutely love to put a pond in. Have any of you put a pond in? Did you utilize runoff from your property or a natural spring? I wouldn't be able to stock it until I established an ecosystem which could take a couple years. But; sitting out by the pond would be something wonderful.

You should find the location of the spring head and see if it was capped off. 

A lot of people don't know this but the Genesee River begins as a very small spring. 

• Cheers 3

The Guy In Pants
On 3/14/2023 at 8:09 PM, MothersMilk said:

You should find the location of the spring head and see if it was capped off. 

A lot of people don't know this but the Genesee River begins as a very small spring. 

Have her grandpa on that quest.

• Cheers 1

Jabba The Hutt

Picked up a couple larger Apple trees and got Scionwood coming in from a few sources that have bred Albert Etter's berry tasting apples into possibly improved genetics! Can't wait until the new grafting knife and parafilm gets here then I'm making frankentrees, possibly 10-25 varieties on each tree.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, The Guy In Pants said:

Before and after. This is just the rough cut after a light pass.

A84739F6-0098-4449-8034-9888F63DD3AB.jpeg

Is that bamboo off to the left?

• Like 2

The Guy In Pants
9 minutes ago, Foxx said:

Is that bamboo off to the left?

Unfortunately. Her great grandpa planted it for a fishing pole........

Now it's everywhere. I do plan on utilizing it for projects such as wind chimes etc for local farmers markets once this aggravating process is all done and life slows down. (fat chance)

• Like 1
  • Cheers 4

CarpetCrawler
On 3/22/2023 at 7:07 AM, The Guy In Pants said:

Unfortunately. Her great grandpa planted it for a fishing pole........

Now it's everywhere. I do plan on utilizing it for projects such as wind chimes etc for local farmers markets once this aggravating process is all done and life slows down. (fat chance)

Doesn't look like it would be a problem for you, but be careful, it can spread very quickly. It was outlawed years ago in the town I live in, people were planting it on property lines and it was spreading into the neighbors property. The roots can grow through metal and concrete, and it spreads by budding roots. Subsequently NYS has outlawed the planting of 2 types of bamboo. 

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

The Guy In Pants
On 3/25/2023 at 9:20 PM, CarpetCrawler said:

Doesn't look like it would be a problem for you, but be careful, it can spread very quickly. It was outlawed years ago in the town I live in, people were planting it on property lines and it was spreading into the neighbors property. The roots can grow through metal and concrete, and it spreads by budding roots. Subsequently NYS has outlawed the planting of 2 types of bamboo. 

Oh yeah. It's bad near the home we are in now. It grew through the septic tank. This half of the property it started growing becayse her grandpa decided to throw the ones he cut down over there. 

• Wow 1

The Guy In Pants

Well; I think my wife has finally reached her breaking point on this entire thing. To give you an update because I know you are all loving this Jerry Springer bullshit.....

As you know; we have been waiting 5 months for a survey to be completed. I had a person lined up to do it immediately but her grandpa said no and we are still waiting. "Bud just has to come back and do the other line." is what I got Saturday. On top of that; the corners of our property are not where they were because her uncle pitched a fit and her grandpa is giving him a little more. (Keep uncle in mind when we get further into this story)

In that 5 months; the modular place we were going to get the home built burned down and rates have been increased over and over which is now causing our budget to allow us to get us less and less. Modular prices are absolutely insane so we are exploring local builders. 

I've had a land clearing guy start because the county requires the area be clear but not graded so they can plot the property and lay out where the septic and field will need to be. There is a singlewide from the 70's that is sitting right in our way. The land guy nor the county can do anything where it sits. Her grandpa wants to tear it apart and keep the metal, axels and some other things. It will fall apart when moved but the guy doing the land said he would move it no problem. Grandpa wants it to be moved in the middle of the property we are buying. I said no. It either goes away completely or it gets put on his or the uncles property. We offered to pay the $350 to have someone come pick it up. That was 3 months ago. 

Yesterday, the land guy got to the point we need it moved in the next week. He said he can tear it up and haul it off for $2500. We offered her grandpa to pay that and he said no last night on the phone and my wife got ill for the first time. Me? Oh I have been there, as you now.

On to the uncle. 

This is the uncle that we gave her mothers car to after she passed we have also paid for dumpsters so he could clean out his stuff. He has Parkinson's and we help him all the time. He was upset we were buying the land because he expected his parents to give it to them when they pass. He threw a fit and her grandpa told him that he was to have it because he would sell it outside the family. Anyway; since then, it's been a roller coaster. He's the ultra liberal, CNN addict. He knows our plans of where we had planned to put everything. So; yesterday he called my wife and let her know that "since his property is now going to be extended into the field; he can put up a 3 bay garage....... you know where he wants to put it? Right in front of where our house was going to be.....

He already has a 3 bay garage and has had plenty of room to build it already. He's doing this out of spite. 

Wife and I had a long talk last night. She said she now realizes why her father toyed with the idea of moving away with us before he died. He was not very involved with his family and we can clearly see why now.

We don't know what to do. Thanks to forces beyond our control (may they all rot heartily in hell) the affordability of anything is basically gone. It's quite comical actually.

So; here we are still determined to try and make this work but still rethinking it all. Worst case; we buy it and we don't build there. 

What a circus lol. Y'all don't even know. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Jabba The Hutt
4 hours ago, The Guy In Pants said:

Well; I think my wife has finally reached her breaking point on this entire thing. To give you an update because I know you are all loving this Jerry Springer bullshit.....

As you know; we have been waiting 5 months for a survey to be completed. I had a person lined up to do it immediately but her grandpa said no and we are still waiting. "Bud just has to come back and do the other line." is what I got Saturday. On top of that; the corners of our property are not where they were because her uncle pitched a fit and her grandpa is giving him a little more. (Keep uncle in mind when we get further into this story)

In that 5 months; the modular place we were going to get the home built burned down and rates have been increased over and over which is now causing our budget to allow us to get us less and less. Modular prices are absolutely insane so we are exploring local builders. 

I've had a land clearing guy start because the county requires the area be clear but not graded so they can plot the property and lay out where the septic and field will need to be. There is a singlewide from the 70's that is sitting right in our way. The land guy nor the county can do anything where it sits. Her grandpa wants to tear it apart and keep the metal, axels and some other things. It will fall apart when moved but the guy doing the land said he would move it no problem. Grandpa wants it to be moved in the middle of the property we are buying. I said no. It either goes away completely or it gets put on his or the uncles property. We offered to pay the $350 to have someone come pick it up. That was 3 months ago. 

Yesterday, the land guy got to the point we need it moved in the next week. He said he can tear it up and haul it off for $2500. We offered her grandpa to pay that and he said no last night on the phone and my wife got ill for the first time. Me? Oh I have been there, as you now.

On to the uncle. 

This is the uncle that we gave her mothers car to after she passed we have also paid for dumpsters so he could clean out his stuff. He has Parkinson's and we help him all the time. He was upset we were buying the land because he expected his parents to give it to them when they pass. He threw a fit and her grandpa told him that he was to have it because he would sell it outside the family. Anyway; since then, it's been a roller coaster. He's the ultra liberal, CNN addict. He knows our plans of where we had planned to put everything. So; yesterday he called my wife and let her know that "since his property is now going to be extended into the field; he can put up a 3 bay garage....... you know where he wants to put it? Right in front of where our house was going to be.....

He already has a 3 bay garage and has had plenty of room to build it already. He's doing this out of spite. 

Wife and I had a long talk last night. She said she now realizes why her father toyed with the idea of moving away with us before he died. He was not very involved with his family and we can clearly see why now.

We don't know what to do. Thanks to forces beyond our control (may they all rot heartily in hell) the affordability of anything is basically gone. It's quite comical actually.

So; here we are still determined to try and make this work but still rethinking it all. Worst case; we buy it and we don't build there. 

What a circus lol. Y'all don't even know. 

Threaten to sell outside the family if they dont knock their shit off, seems like they are scared of that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jabba The Hutt said:

Threaten to sell outside the family if they dont knock their shit off, seems like they are scared of that. 

After all the pain and suffering her family has put you through, once things are complete, @The Guy In Pants, I'd consider this.  Would your wife go for selling before you build? Is there something comparable (or better) in the area if you were to sell and move on from this property? 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Ann said:

After all the pain and suffering her family has put you through, once things are complete, @The Guy In Pants, I'd consider this.  Would your wife go for selling before you build? Is there something comparable (or better) in the area if you were to sell and move on from this property? 

Right, because all indications are that, this hostage mentality is never going to stop.

• Like 3
  • Love 1