Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Gardening / Homesteading

The Guy In Pants

2 hours ago, The Guy In Pants said:

It's in the south. Not many of them around here but he is not under contract with that other realtor. Just using her for advice. We gave him an offer last night. He has to "think about it". It was more than generous per acre. She'll tell him to go to market and it'll be subdivided. He'll have his money and the land will be wasted for "growth".

Where we are now is a very heavy traffic area and its 4 lanes. It went 4 lanes about 10 years ago. 20 years ago it was nothing. It has been my wife's family farm for also over 100 years. In fact; her  family owned most of the county back in the day. So many of them in fact; their last names are spelled differently but still related...weird as hell. None of them want to sell as they are leaving it to their children but many of them live far away. So; they'll just dump it anyway. 

To make it even more fun; they just rezoned the land next to us that is for sale to industrial/office. So, that's nice. 

Will see how this other land goes. Impatiently waiting.

Not many?  But they are there.  They are extremely aggressive in chasing down property and the only reason for them to use a realtor is because there is no direct access (the land owner is mentally erratic).  The different spellings of a last name typically means there has been a feud with a split in the family so the different spelling denotes a change.  I remember a kid in high school giving a 5 minute quick history lesson on why his family name is Greene and everybody else around is Green.  Sometimes the feud started while back in the old country.  Then there is the matter of coming to North America coincidentally on the same ship and brought to the same general area.  I've heard of stories where a prearranged tract was immediately sold and the family moved on because the neighbors were ones that they were feuding with.  Now come into the 21 Century with some family that is preoccupied with what has happened in the past and you have got an owner that is an enigma and mentally erratic.  Long story I know but what you most likely are facing where families have been around hundreds of years.  

• Like 2

The Guy In Pants

On 9/12/2022 at 9:00 AM, Ann said:

He wants the money more than to keep it farmland. It is happening everywhere.  I think my husband was the last person in this country to call the farmers next door to see if either one of them wanted the land (one guy hopped on it).

You were right. After blowing smoke up my ass about "divine intervention" and "I am a pastor and God wants this to happen because it's your dream and it's a perfect farm" and "This has been my families land for over 100 years and I don't want it getting divided" and "I don't want to leave to my children because they'll just sell and buy cars"; he asked for an offer. I asked how much he wanted. He wouldn't say. Our realtor and us walked the property, did comps and put an offer in. He said to give him a couple days.

He didn't call. My realtor called him yesterday and he said he was speaking with a developer to sub divide. He was also speaking with Dollar General. About an hour later he called my realtor back and said he wanted to sell to us and needed "X" an acre. I laughed. 

First of all; the guy couldn't be honest with me up front and that bothers me. I should have known after he spent the first 15 minutes of our first conversation telling me he's a pastor and wouldn't dream of cheating anyone. You lead with that...... you are a snake in the grass. Tell me the truth. When she told him we are already under contract for land 7 minutes up the road for more acreage and less money, she said his response was "Well, maybe their dream will come true. If they change their mind, let me know."

So; oh well. LOL. Still waiting on the corn to come off the other property so we can finally get to see what it looks like lol.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, The Guy In Pants said:

You were right. After blowing smoke up my ass about "divine intervention" and "I am a pastor and God wants this to happen because it's your dream and it's a perfect farm" and "This has been my families land for over 100 years and I don't want it getting divided" and "I don't want to leave to my children because they'll just sell and buy cars"; he asked for an offer. I asked how much he wanted. He wouldn't say. Our realtor and us walked the property, did comps and put an offer in. He said to give him a couple days.

He didn't call. My realtor called him yesterday and he said he was speaking with a developer to sub divide. He was also speaking with Dollar General. About an hour later he called my realtor back and said he wanted to sell to us and needed "X" an acre. I laughed. 

First of all; the guy couldn't be honest with me up front and that bothers me. I should have known after he spent the first 15 minutes of our first conversation telling me he's a pastor and wouldn't dream of cheating anyone. You lead with that...... you are a snake in the grass. Tell me the truth. When she told him we are already under contract for land 7 minutes up the road for more acreage and less money, she said his response was "Well, maybe their dream will come true. If they change their mind, let me know."

So; oh well. LOL. Still waiting on the corn to come off the other property so we can finally get to see what it looks like lol.

He offered it to you first, even if it is at developer rates. And now he can sell to a developer in clear conscious because "he tried" to sell it for farmland first.  What a guy! 

• Haha 3

The Guy In Pants
12 minutes ago, Ann said:

He offered it to you first, even if it is at developer rates. And now he can sell to a developer in clear conscious because "he tried" to see it for farmland first.  What a guy! 

LOL He had spoken with 2 other builders and a bunch of businesses while we were speaking too. I am wondering if he saw the traffic counter down the road and was thinking they were trying to grow way out there?

• Like 2

On 9/15/2022 at 7:18 AM, The Guy In Pants said:

Shyster, there's a special place in Hell for scum like that.

• Like 2

The Guy In Pants
11 hours ago, CarpetCrawler said:

Shyster, there's a special place in Hell for scum like that.

He is actively working at least 4 people. My realtor and I blocked his number. He wouldn't stop calling after we said we weren't interested.

To add to the roundy round we are on with a property search; my wife's grandpa has offered us to buy the remainder of the property we are on now. It would give us about 12 acres and would be family. Only issue is, in the next 10-20 years it could go commercial. If it does; it would be prime location for some large businesses. Which means we would have wasted building there. On the flip side, it makes it easier for us to continue to care of her uncles (both with Parkinson's) and her other grandpa who will probably have to move in with us at some point. We would be saving money so that's a plus. I hate traffic noise the most but we could maybe put the house further back on the property. We will contact a friend today who does perc testing to see if he can squeeze us in quickly so we know whether or not it will perc before we close on the other property. If it will, we may back out during the 20 day window on that one. Such a debacle. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, The Guy In Pants said:

He is actively working at least 4 people. My realtor and I blocked his number. He wouldn't stop calling after we said we weren't interested.

To add to the roundy round we are on with a property search; my wife's grandpa has offered us to buy the remainder of the property we are on now. It would give us about 12 acres and would be family. Only issue is, in the next 10-20 years it could go commercial. If it does; it would be prime location for some large businesses. Which means we would have wasted building there. On the flip side, it makes it easier for us to continue to care of her uncles (both with Parkinson's) and her other grandpa who will probably have to move in with us at some point. We would be saving money so that's a plus. I hate traffic noise the most but we could maybe put the house further back on the property. We will contact a friend today who does perc testing to see if he can squeeze us in quickly so we know whether or not it will perc before we close on the other property. If it will, we may back out during the 20 day window on that one. Such a debacle. 

It's never a comfortable thing having the "could go commercial" sword hanging over your head, but yeah building in the right spot could minimize that. And could is only could, not will. This seems like a good alternative. 

It must seem like you're living in the middle of  tornado at times, I hope soon things slow down for you and you stay on the path you're hoping to be on.

• Like 1

The Guy In Pants
5 hours ago, CarpetCrawler said:

It's never a comfortable thing having the "could go commercial" sword hanging over your head, but yeah building in the right spot could minimize that. And could is only could, not will. This seems like a good alternative. 

It must seem like you're living in the middle of  tornado at times, I hope soon things slow down for you and you stay on the path you're hoping to be on.

My biggest thing is being secure financially long term. Trying to navigate that in this time and with all of these variables is not easy. My wife is clamoring for us to finally start living and stop putting our lives on hold for everyone else but I am afraid its now expected that we will put ourselves on hold to help people in the family. To the point that when we suggest a way they help themselves, we are cruel. Each week I get a dozen phone calls "Saturday, if you're not busy, my car needs....." or "Hey; can you come move this?" It's not so much a bother doing things people actually need but I would like to be able to accomplish the things I need to get done. We've been doing it for so long, we became numb to it. Now that we want to start doing the things we want to; we just can't seem to break away from the monotony. I will be 41 next week; means a 30 year mortgage takes me to 71. At least, if we purchase this property here and build a nice little home back off the road and in the woods; not only do we get to start doing what we want but we are still in a position to help her family. I am the only able bodied person worth a damn. Her cousins are absolutely &#%$ing worthless. &#%$ing scum. Thieves. Liars. Lazy sons of bitches. So; when her uncles need something; they cant ask their kids.....they have to ask us. 

• Cheers 1
  • Love 2

The Guy In Pants

Question for the group.

We have been looking at the property here and working to figure out where to build a home since we’ve decided to purchase family land from my wife’s grandfather and forgo moving away. Even though it’s noisier here; this is home for my wife.

Currently, we live in the home my wife’s great grandfather built himself in 1930.

My wife’s parents lived behind us in a 1984 doublewide. 

For privacy and noise reduction; the location of the doublewide in the woods is the perfect spot. We have 0 interest in renting it because of the amount of money we would need to put into it. It’s got some structural issues due to water getting in for years. 

My question is; would it be wrong of us to remove my wife’s parents doublewide and have our home erected there? 

Mixed feelings from family. But they’re not up to speed on just how bad shape it is in. It’s such a small home and my wife says she would not be comfortable fixing it up to live in.

My thoughts on the house we are in now is a small produce place or even a bait / tackle shop as it is centrally located to all major lakes and hundreds of boats pass by 

Edited by The Guy In Pants
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, The Guy In Pants said:

Question for the group.

We have been looking at the property here and working to figure out where to build a home since we’ve decided to purchase family land from my wife’s grandfather and forgo moving away. Even though it’s noisier here; this is home for my wife.

Currently, we live in the home my wife’s great grandfather built himself in 1930.

For privacy and noise reduction; the location of the doublewide in the woods is the perfect spot. We have 0 interest in renting it because of the amount of money we would need to put into it. It’s got some structural issues due to water getting in for years. 

My question is; would it be wrong of us to remove my wife’s parents doublewide and have our home erected there? 

Mixed feelings from family. But they’re not up to speed on just how bad shape it is in. It’s such a small home and my wife says she would not be comfortable fixing it up to live in.

My thoughts on the house we are in now is a small produce place or even a bait / tackle shop as it is centrally located to all major lakes and hundreds of boats pass by 

Maybe I am not very sentimental, but I cannot see preserving a double-wide that needs work when it is a good spot to build your house. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, The Guy In Pants said:

Question for the group.

They may be more on board if they knew how bad the doublewide is? Your wife isn't comfortable and that is the most important thing. 

• Like 2

On 9/27/2022 at 1:12 PM, The Guy In Pants said:

Question for the group.

&#%$ keeping it. Get rid of the double wide and build the home you and your wife want. No one else in the family gets a vote, nor does their opinions matter of what building you choose to live in on your property.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

On 9/27/2022 at 10:12 AM, The Guy In Pants said:

Absolutely not. If it's yours to do as you please, then do as best serves you, and if any of the leeches have a problem with it, let them know you're willing to sell everything to them for (fill in the blank) dollars. Get comps if you have to or want to to ensure it's a fair price, but in the end, if it matters that much to them, have them put their money where their mouth is.

We both know no one will buy it, but it puts a bullet in any possible complaining that may arise.

And helping family is fine. Helping family that refuses to help itself is a life sentence. Let it go.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

The Guy In Pants

Thanks guys. So; we floated the idea when discussing with wife's family during a birthday thing when they asked. The look on her grandmas face told us she was not happy.

I told my wife; this is not about them. This is about her and if she was going to base her decision on their approval; then we need not entertain the idea and move away.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

CarpetCrawler
On 9/27/2022 at 1:12 PM, The Guy In Pants said:

Question for the group.

You have to make smart and correct choices for this to work out and for your wife to get the kind of life she wants so she can be happy. 

Rehabbing neglected doublewides with water leaks and structural  problems is not a road that leads to happy street.  The people that might side against getting rid of them aren't the ones who will be spending the cash and putting in the sweat equity to fix them, so they don't get a vote (and if they're so attached to them, why did they let them fall into disrepair???).  Those things have a very limited life, and I would think at nearly 40 years old there is no point putting money into them. I doubt a bank would lend you money to fix them up, and even if you did what would insurance cost....if you could get it???

You would be honoring her parents by using the same site, but your expanding their dream and putting a permanent structure there that will be able to carry on the family legacy for generations to come. Not only should that help convince them, it's damn true too.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

The Guy In Pants
1 hour ago, CarpetCrawler said:

You have to make smart and correct choices for this to work out and for your wife to get the kind of life she wants so she can be happy. 

Rehabbing neglected doublewides with water leaks and structural  problems is not a road that leads to happy street.  The people that might side against getting rid of them aren't the ones who will be spending the cash and putting in the sweat equity to fix them, so they don't get a vote (and if they're so attached to them, why did they let them fall into disrepair???).  Those things have a very limited life, and I would think at nearly 40 years old there is no point putting money into them. I doubt a bank would lend you money to fix them up, and even if you did what would insurance cost....if you could get it???

You would be honoring her parents by using the same site, but your expanding their dream and putting a permanent structure there that will be able to carry on the family legacy for generations to come. Not only should that help convince them, it's damn true too.

Absolutely sir. We just gave her uncle a car because he didn’t have one; a 2001 Ford Focus but it runs and goes from A to B. He’s on our side with the idea. He does have Parkinson’s so always helping him but we feel all the stuff we do for everyone, he seems to be the more appreciative. We did back out of the other property and made it official with the termination. Going to try and focus on us when we can.

Sunday, I went over to her grandpas house to put in a ramp. (Was thrilled to have it done before the game) He fell twice this last week trying to get in and out of the house. Won’t be long and he’ll either need a live in person or live with us. 

Friday after work I need to take another uncles cat to the vet, hang lights in another’s garage and find time to get my new chicken run up. 

I am not sure if I’ve just got too much going on but I can’t remember shit. Constantly having to be reminded. Just turned 41 and expected to have our home by now. But need to be thankful we do have what we do.

just finished meds for cellulitis, need to get to the doc for my shoulder and my sciatic is messed up lol

feel 80

• Like 1
  • Love 2

So we are t-minus one month from slaughter of our pigs, which means we load them up on apples and pour molasses over their food. 

We were trying to figure out how much they weighed, and since you're not putting these suckers on a scale, we found something called 'pig tape' which is basically just seamstress measuring tape. Someone determined that the weight of your pig is determined by measuring girth, then measuring from between ears to tail.

Formula is girth x girth x length / 400.

So we started at 20 and 25 pounds respectively, and are now at 255 and 270, with one month to go, with pigs at this size estimated to grow two pounds a day.

• Like 4
  • Cheers 1

CarpetCrawler
On 10/3/2022 at 8:21 PM, The Guy In Pants said:

Absolutely sir. We just gave her uncle a car because he didn’t have one; a 2001 Ford Focus but it runs and goes from A to B. He’s on our side with the idea. He does have Parkinson’s so always helping him but we feel all the stuff we do for everyone, he seems to be the more appreciative. We did back out of the other property and made it official with the termination. Going to try and focus on us when we can.

Sunday, I went over to her grandpas house to put in a ramp. (Was thrilled to have it done before the game) He fell twice this last week trying to get in and out of the house. Won’t be long and he’ll either need a live in person or live with us. 

Friday after work I need to take another uncles cat to the vet, hang lights in another’s garage and find time to get my new chicken run up. 

I am not sure if I’ve just got too much going on but I can’t remember shit. Constantly having to be reminded. Just turned 41 and expected to have our home by now. But need to be thankful we do have what we do.

just finished meds for cellulitis, need to get to the doc for my shoulder and my sciatic is messed up lol

feel 80

You are selfless my friend and I give you tons of credit, I couldn't do it. They say it takes a village...but I guess all you really need is a guy in pants. 

I understand your exhaustion and feeling old. When was your last check up and blood work?  I'm no doctor, but a few years ago my Vit B12 and D3 were really low. Supplements really perked me up and I still take them today. Increased my mental clarity and energy too. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

The Guy In Pants
9 hours ago, CarpetCrawler said:

You are selfless my friend and I give you tons of credit, I couldn't do it. They say it takes a village...but I guess all you really need is a guy in pants. 

I understand your exhaustion and feeling old. When was your last check up and blood work?  I'm no doctor, but a few years ago my Vit B12 and D3 were really low. Supplements really perked me up and I still take them today. Increased my mental clarity and energy too. 

Thanks man. It's not always easy. We want to start doing the things we want but cant seem to find the time lol

• 3 weeks later...
The Guy In Pants

We were walking the woods to see where we wanted our home on the property we are talking to her grandpa about.

The town just posted on Facebook that there is a new 157 home subdivision going in about 2 miles away. Going right across the street from the grocery store, driving right past where we are. 

🤣

Can’t win for losing on getting away from people. 

10 years ago it was nice and quiet here. Tired of developments ruining good things. 

• Sad 3