Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Gardening / Homesteading

The Guy In Pants

Has several landscape architects out.

One says no to limes, one says yes. 🤷‍♀️ Maybe I should pursue the third architect that deal with drainage issues as a tiebreaker? 🙂 
No real suggestion on fruit trees other than what we already knew about. I did get the warning comments about rodents if fruit drops. 

They nearly cried when I said no to flowers. 😛 

I assume this will happen in January/February/March when planting is done in this area. We shall see how much it is gonna cost (I am not afraid, Hubby doesn't want to know!) and how it goes. But we have drainage and sidewalk issues to address, along with the foliage. 

• Cheers 2

• 2 weeks later...
Jabba The Hutt
On 11/20/2022 at 10:41 AM, Ann said:

After some more research and a nice chat with a local farmer...

Limes are a no-go here. Too cold. I have to figure out if I want two lemon trees (meyer lemons) or something else in a pot inside the lanai (corners).

There are a few local apple trees! Apparently, Auburn University and the University of Florida work on together for new varieties that will grow and produce down here (like Cornell does in NYS). I spent some time on the cooperative extension doing research, and we'd have to be able to plant more than one, so I doubt we will do it. But, I was pleased (and surprised) to find apples could grow in Florida.

On 12/1/2022 at 1:50 PM, Ann said:

Has several landscape architects out.

One says no to limes, one says yes. 🤷‍♀️ Maybe I should pursue the third architect that deal with drainage issues as a tiebreaker? 🙂 
No real suggestion on fruit trees other than what we already knew about. I did get the warning comments about rodents if fruit drops. 

They nearly cried when I said no to flowers. 😛 

I assume this will happen in January/February/March when planting is done in this area. We shall see how much it is gonna cost (I am not afraid, Hubby doesn't want to know!) and how it goes. But we have drainage and sidewalk issues to address, along with the foliage. 

Nonsense, you should at the least be able to pull off a Persian Lime. If you see you are going to get a freeze throw those wraps you see people put on thujas in NY in winter for some reason.

Also regardless of what you read online I have seen numerous Finger Lime trees that have taken some hard freezes, they are awesome too! Called citrus caviar because the pulp pops out in little balls that are lime flavored!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQPGkBTo5A1bYAxDRBnryB

As far as apples in Florida, plant an Anna and a Golden Dorset and you'll have more than enough apples. These two produce even south of Miami. Space shouldn't be an issue, you can plant apples only a few feet apart and keep them 8 ft tall or less. You can even do two in one hole and prune so it's 1 larger tree but half and half if that makes sense. Like you'd do with hedges.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Jabba The Hutt said:

Nonsense, you should at the least be able to pull off a Persian Lime. If you see you are going to get a freeze throw those wraps you see people put on thujas in NY in winter for some reason.

Also regardless of what you read online I have seen numerous Finger Lime trees that have taken some hard freezes, they are awesome too! Called citrus caviar because the pulp pops out in little balls that are lime flavored!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQPGkBTo5A1bYAxDRBnryB

As far as apples in Florida, plant an Anna and a Golden Dorset and you'll have more than enough apples. These two produce even south of Miami. Space shouldn't be an issue, you can plant apples only a few feet apart and keep them 8 ft tall or less. You can even do two in one hole and prune so it's 1 larger tree but half and half if that makes sense. Like you'd do with hedges.

I asked about finger limes… one told me no, two told me yes. I am gonna go with the yeses, stick them in the sunny side of the lanai, and have covering handy for a freeze.

I thought about apples but don’t want several trees.

• Like 1

Jabba The Hutt
54 minutes ago, Ann said:

I asked about finger limes… one told me no, two told me yes. I am gonna go with the yeses, stick them in the sunny side of the lanai, and have covering handy for a freeze.

Persian Lime will make it through as well, those are the ones you see in store. Key Lime should not have a problem either if you are willing to cover.

If you really want apples 2 will do. 1 Anna and 1 Golden Dorsett. They pollinate each other thankfully. Look up High density planting techniques and you should run into the 2 trees in one hole option. Even if you want them seperate you can pull apples off only 4-6 ft apart. No need for them to take up a giant amount of space, that's literally a waste when you see giant trees lol

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Jabba The Hutt
1 hour ago, Ann said:

https://deepgreenpermaculture.com/2021/05/31/how-to-plant-two-or-more-trees-in-the-same-hole-for-high-density-tree-planting/?amp=1

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

• 1 month later...
The Guy In Pants

Hope everyone is well. Still waiting on the perc test for the spot we picked for the house. We are buying the adjoining property. In total we should have just under 12 acres. Big enough for what we want but not as big as we wanted however; beggars cant be choosers and the Lord made it happen the way he did and we shouldn't question even though I want to so bad. I suppose he didn't like my plans. 

We are not tearing down the in laws house. Friends are about to have their first child and their landlord from California says they have 3 months to vacate as he has a friend who needs the house. I am going to get ours fixed up on the inside and they'll move in. "No friends or family" didn't last long. We can't say no. I know the kid. He works his ass off. They're young but not irresponsible. So; here it is to hoping it works out. He used to climb cell phone towers for repairs. But; he has big plans to be a lineman. So; he kept applying over and over and over again until I guess it annoyed the power company and they gave him a shot changing street lights. 2 months ago he got his chance and is now working with lineman although not there yet.

The company putting up the shop is supposed to come out and review where I want it and start prepping for concrete. I chose a 30x50 so I can have a better place to work on vehicles and equipment as well as have plenty of room for my wood working. So many ideas for fall craft shows and I am toying with a booth at the local farmers market a couple weekends to see how it goes. 

I just picked up 33 of these old windows for a couple dollars each. Big plans for our personal greenhouse. If we do anything for commercial purposes; will add some of the large plastic greenhouses if the time comes. My wife is very excited. She wasn't a big fan of the plastic hoop houses. 

Since we haven't started the house yet; I don't have the space ready for a garden this year so I am expanding our current one. It's just a quick, cheap fence made out of old pallets from a few years back. All I need at the moment. Not going to be doing the raised beds there. I may use some 2x10's for aesthetic purposes but other than that;  I'm going to turn it up; mix in the compost and cover in straw/topsoil. It has a bit of hard clay but I plan on changing that with a lot of sand, peat moss, topsoil and compost.

Anyway; it's almost time to start seeds indoors. Excited for that! 

image.jpeg.0b5cb5c050ad21789974517cb474d189.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.addf9c05be9480b47258be5ccdde3db8.jpeg

Edited by The Guy In Pants
  • Like 4
  • Cheers 1
  • Love 1

CarpetCrawler
On 1/12/2023 at 5:54 AM, The Guy In Pants said:

Hope everyone is well. Still waiting on the perc test for the spot we picked for the house. We are buying the adjoining property. In total we should have just under 12 acres. Big enough for what we want but not as big as we wanted however; beggars cant be choosers and the Lord made it happen the way he did and we shouldn't question even though I want to so bad. I suppose he didn't like my plans. 

We are not tearing down the in laws house. Friends are about to have their first child and their landlord from California says they have 3 months to vacate as he has a friend who needs the house. I am going to get ours fixed up on the inside and they'll move in. "No friends or family" didn't last long. We can't say no. I know the kid. He works his ass off. They're young but not irresponsible. So; here it is to hoping it works out. He used to climb cell phone towers for repairs. But; he has big plans to be a lineman. So; he kept applying over and over and over again until I guess it annoyed the power company and they gave him a shot changing street lights. 2 months ago he got his chance and is now working with lineman although not there yet.

The company putting up the shop is supposed to come out and review where I want it and start prepping for concrete. I chose a 30x50 so I can have a better place to work on vehicles and equipment as well as have plenty of room for my wood working. So many ideas for fall craft shows and I am toying with a booth at the local farmers market a couple weekends to see how it goes. 

I just picked up 33 of these old windows for a couple dollars each. Big plans for our personal greenhouse. If we do anything for commercial purposes; will add some of the large plastic greenhouses if the time comes. My wife is very excited. She wasn't a big fan of the plastic hoop houses. 

Since we haven't started the house yet; I don't have the space ready for a garden this year so I am expanding our current one. It's just a quick, cheap fence made out of old pallets from a few years back. All I need at the moment. Not going to be doing the raised beds there. I may use some 2x10's for aesthetic purposes but other than that;  I'm going to turn it up; mix in the compost and cover in straw/topsoil. It has a bit of hard clay but I plan on changing that with a lot of sand, peat moss, topsoil and compost.

Anyway; it's almost time to start seeds indoors. Excited for that! 

image.jpeg.0b5cb5c050ad21789974517cb474d189.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.addf9c05be9480b47258be5ccdde3db8.jpeg

I'm very happy for you and your wife. 12 acres is a great size, you'll use it very efficiently I'm sure. When you get going on the crafts, did you ever think about doing any of the weekend craft shows that pop up in different towns during the summer and fall??

I'm eager to see the progress, it must feel great to stop the worrying and get down to the actual work. Keep us updated.

Here's to a much better year my friend !!!!!

And   GO   BILLS !!!!

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

The Guy In Pants
19 hours ago, CarpetCrawler said:

I'm very happy for you and your wife. 12 acres is a great size, you'll use it very efficiently I'm sure. When you get going on the crafts, did you ever think about doing any of the weekend craft shows that pop up in different towns during the summer and fall??

I'm eager to see the progress, it must feel great to stop the worrying and get down to the actual work. Keep us updated.

Here's to a much better year my friend !!!!!

And   GO   BILLS !!!!

Thank you! We did get the perc back. All good to go. Builder is rolling; land clearing scheduled and then a permit. Builder said if all goes well; modular will be set in March. So that was all good.

About 3 hours after the perc guy called me; I received a text. Friend of ours and his wife were told they had 90 days to move as their landlord has family that needs the house. They are expecting a baby in May. They asked what we were doing with our in laws house and if we would rent it to them. I let my wife decide because it was her parents home. Well; they came an looked at it. I told them all the repairs I am willing to do before they move in. Told them paint and such was up to them. Didn't care. They are a young couple but very responsible so I am not worried about it. But now all the things I had planned for the house and land has to wait until I get these guys in the house. Once he told his landlord about finding a place; the guy said he was sending a check for 3 months rent and said you now have 45 days instead of 90.

I have toilets to put in; sinks to replace. Bathtub pipes and surround to do; soft spots in the floor. The cabinets in this 84 doublewide are particle board and basically useless so I have to replace those and the counter tops. Good thing I went ahead and bout the $25 counters that were in the aisle at Lowes 5 years ago. They were closeout and not being continued so got them at $25 a piece. I bought all I needed for both houses. Installed ours but not the other yet. 

Anyway; after ripping carpet out yesterday after work; I was headed to the house and decided to check on the chickens. I have a hen with vent gleet. I had to go in the house and grab some medicine. It was already dark so I cleaned her via flashlight and applied the cream. by time I got in the house it was too late to eat and not feel sick so I went to bed. Woke up at 4 to go back out and give her an epsom salt bath. 

Flick of a light switch and now I have way more to do than I wanted lol. Hoping I can get the hen over this gleet bullshit. I stopped giving probiotics because the avian vet said wasn't needed every day. Bullshit. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

The Guy In Pants

If there is one thing I’ve learned in life it’s relying on other people is the absolute worst thing you can do if you have plans and deadlines.

I’ve been after my wife’s grandfather for months to get the property surveyed. He was dead set on a friend from church doing it.  Delay. Delay. Delay. Now all of a sudden he “can’t do it”.

Our home is ordered. They’re going to start it soon. I called around to a bunch of other surveyors and no one can do it. One said maybe and saw the original deed and said I needed to contact the county because of right of way issues to the property the grandpa wants to keep. I contacted the county and they said all is fine. I sent their email response to the surveyor and hopefully he responds.  

Was supposed to hear back from the land clearing guy yesterday. Nadda. Nothing. I took the day off of work to meet him. 

It would be funny if I wasn’t so pissed off about it. 

• Sad 3
  • Wow 1

Jabba The Hutt
1 hour ago, The Guy In Pants said:

If there is one thing I’ve learned in life it’s relying on other people is the absolute worst thing you can do if you have plans and deadlines.

I’ve been after my wife’s grandfather for months to get the property surveyed. He was dead set on a friend from church doing it.  Delay. Delay. Delay. Now all of a sudden he “can’t do it”.

Our home is ordered. They’re going to start it soon. I called around to a bunch of other surveyors and no one can do it. One said maybe and saw the original deed and said I needed to contact the county because of right of way issues to the property the grandpa wants to keep. I contacted the county and they said all is fine. I sent their email response to the surveyor and hopefully he responds.  

Was supposed to hear back from the land clearing guy yesterday. Nadda. Nothing. I took the day off of work to meet him. 

It would be funny if I wasn’t so pissed off about it. 

Hard to find people you can count on... hopefully they will stop jerking you around and get you squared away.

• Like 2

Jabba The Hutt

Just finished a small chicken coop last night for our new pet chicks. Found a few bareneck frizzles!:classic_love:

image.png.2f81c57fe8d8e35e147eaf143d888cce.png

Next step is duck pen for the muscovies!

image.png.37f5df66996e025989ac7c3095278df7.png

image.png.17ece979f9340cc55d46b286e6db516c.png

Can't wait to get a beautiful Tom Turkey to add to our new flock! Also Black Swans for the pond.

Edited by Jabba The Hutt
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, The Guy In Pants said:

While this is especially frustrating when it involves family and friends of family, we have two rules of thumb. 

The first rule of thumb is simply to never get involved with family and friends who refer family and friends for anything. 

If you can't follow that rule, then you need to apply and confirm a schedule. In the case of your wife's grandfather, it would sound something like "We need to have the property surveyed by (name your date). We need you to confirm your guy can do it by then, and we need your confirmation by (name your date). If we don't get confirmation by that date, we'll assume he can't meet our schedule and will move forward with our own surveyor because they are very difficult to schedule."

I know it's not that  easy, but I suspect your wife's grandfather doesn't care about how pissed off you are, so beat him to the punch.

• Like 1

The Guy In Pants
21 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

While this is especially frustrating when it involves family and friends of family, we have two rules of thumb. 

The first rule of thumb is simply to never get involved with family and friends who refer family and friends for anything. 

If you can't follow that rule, then you need to apply and confirm a schedule. In the case of your wife's grandfather, it would sound something like "We need to have the property surveyed by (name your date). We need you to confirm your guy can do it by then, and we need your confirmation by (name your date). If we don't get confirmation by that date, we'll assume he can't meet our schedule and will move forward with our own surveyor because they are very difficult to schedule."

I know it's not that  easy, but I suspect your wife's grandfather doesn't care about how pissed off you are, so beat him to the punch.

I won’t show any of them that I’m upset about it. I spoke to him yesterday while he helped me replace the floor in the in laws double wide we are going to be renting out. He is supposed to talk to him today. I have given her grandpa dates to tell the guy today. Need it done in a week. If he would sell us all of it; we wouldn’t need this. But he wants to keep an acre because he wants somewhere to keep his tractor and his son rents a trailer from him. We explained all of that would stay but he’s adamant.

Actually, funny story about that last night at 12:30; my wife wakes me up and says there are emergency lights coming in the window. I go out and walk to the edge of the field and see them at her uncles house. So I walk down there to see what’s going on. The fire truck start leaving and the paramedics come out of the door. Here comes her uncle in a woman’s nightgown and the most horrible makeup to date. He thanks them for their time. They leave. Her other uncle meets me in the yard and says “He swallowed glass.” I said what? He said somehow he was drinking out of something that was broken and he swallowed glass. At least he was ok which was the important thing but you can’t make this up. Lol

The real problem is, and my wife is guilty of it too, they won’t provide any details to people they need to do something. So; the guy that’s supposed to clear the land, wife says “he will let us know when he can do it”. I don’t like that answer. I’m paying this man. It’s not an act of charity. If I am paying him; then I expect at least a dialogue. If he was offering the services for free; then it would be on me to be patient. Her grandpa is the same. They offer not timetable because they’re afraid of whatever.

I like schedules lol. If I have a deadline and meeting it is important; I’m not waiting to the last minute simply because I don’t want to inconvenience someone that I am paying for their services lol. That’s on them to schedule there jobs. If I say I need it in a week and they can’t do it; I move on to the next. 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
The Guy In Pants

Well; you cannot make this stuff up. 

I called around to every survey company within an hour of us. I found someone who had a delay in a commercial survey and could get us in immediately. I met them Tuesday afternoon; with my wifes grandfather. Her grandfather explained the backwoods way he wanted the property divided up and how he was tired of paying taxes on a right of way to our property. The guy proceeded to explain to him 20 different ways that what he wanted to do would not be accepted by the county. 

The guy further explained that the right of way currently used to access one of our properties AND his property is 45 feet wide. All he would need to do to make this work is cut that in half and deed half of it to him and half to me. Thus LOWERING the taxes on her grandpa and we can proceed with the sale after county review. Meaning; I am mere weeks away from kicking off.

I set everything up and the guy was to start yesterday. Her uncle (the one who wanted to have the acre behind his house but didn't buy it when he could have) came over Tuesday night and asked my wife to call her grandpa because he was hysterical. She did and he was extremely rude to her. Told her he wasn't doing it that way and his guy knows exactly what he wants and he may just end up stopping the whole thing if he doesn't get it divided his way. He is completely ignorant on any laws or regualtions post 1962. 

I was down at the other house trying to get cabinets up so this couple who are expecting a child soon can move in when she came in. Whenever she starts with "now, don't get upset"; I know I am going to be upset. She told me what had happened. Yes; I got upset. She told some of the other things her pointed at her in the conversations and it made her feel bad. 

First of all; as the ONLY grandchild on either side who does a &#%$ing thing for anyone else; treating her like he did is my first problem. She's assisted with health issues, we purchased and installed ramps for people to get in and out of their homes, cooked meals, I fix things all the time. We gave her uncle a 2001 Focus because his 1994 Explorer broke down. We write checks for her uncle. I put a floor in the trailer for the other one. We give them eggs etc, etc etc. Not patting on the back but all of the other grandchildren on both sides are as follows:

Dads Side - Cousin and Husband - lived in her grandpas property for 12 years. Never paid a dime. Destroyed it. Moved out after being forced. Stole a bunch of tools from the uncle by going through a window that didn't lock. They don't talk to the family after being forced to move out to move in the uncle with Parkinson's and his schizo son who have cops or ems over regularly. Everyone boo hoos that "Melissa and Jason don't come around anymore"

Dads side - Cousin - divorced, living in her grandpas other property in another state. Doesn't pay a dime. Been in that home through 2 husbands. Has a boyfriend now. He lives there. Destroyed it twice which required him to have to go down and remove trash and stuff. They had filled the garage with bags of trash because they didn't pay their trash bill. Appliances littered the yard.

Dads side - Cousin - single, child, spends money on drugs, steals from family. Moved in with uncle for 3 months, paid nothing, stole money from safe. Complained when told he had to leave. Doesn't talk to anyone now. 

Moms side - cousin and husband - live in a home on 12 acres in the country with a beautiful barn and a pond. Owned by her other grandfather, the one we renovated his home that was destroyed by renters so he could move back in when his second wife passed and her kids sold her home. We go out multiple times a week and fix what needs to be done. We take him to breakfast every Sunday. We beg this cousin to take her kids out to see him and she wont. There is no insurance on the house they live in but he owns because its so destroyed they won't cover it. He's giving them that home and the 12 acres. This cousin has totaled 3 of grandpas cars. The latest was his GMC Jimmy; she was drunk and hit a tree. He doesn't know she was drunk. They pay him NOTHING and do NOTHING for him. He constantly criticizes my wife for her hair cuts; food etc. We overlook it because "that's who he is"

Then there is us. Both work. No kids. Bills are paid. No drugs'. No theft. Neither of us have a criminal record. I am not looking for them to pat us on the back and congratulate us on not being &#%$ing worthless but she doesn't deserve the bullshit. She let everyone go through her mom and daddy's stuff after she sorted it. They got to take anything they wanted back etc. The rest went into a massive yard sale and the money was split between the museum that her daddy loved and the cat rescue her mom loved.  Her grandpa, with the land, said "people needed that money more". Yeah; well we just sent a check to my sister who couldn't afford getting their car fixed. So yeah. 

Anyway; venting. We spoke about it last night. No more handouts. My family or hers. We sent the builder an email and apologized. We pulled out for the time being. I called the friend who was to clear the land, told him to take us off the schedule. I am not spending any more time and money on it until its ours. If it is ours.  We will not discuss the property with him anymore. He can do what he wants. We shook on the price and I will not increase that a dime. I have a sneaky suspicion that her uncle and grandpa are trying to be slick. Won't work out like they think. We aren't the others and clueless. Also; we won't have any hard feelings selling the properties we have now and go away. Then they can deal with whatever the county allows to be put there. Gas station or otherwise. I would laugh pretty hard. 

At this point; you just have to laugh. Right? I am. "Something better will come along". I suppose I am done looking for it. I'll let it find me. In the meantime; no more handouts. No more free floor installs. no more free hot water heaters, well pumps, painting, starters, engine wiring harnesses, eggs, pool pumps, trees cut down, no insulation in garages, no free cars, no free use of leftover dumpster I paid for, no more "can I borrow a tool". Done. The only people being stretched beyond their means and left with no time to themselves is us. Every night after work; its work for me and her. I barely get up the driveway when one of them calls me for a favor when they see me pull in. Weekends are full of this and that with just enough time for us to get the house cleaned and do laundry on Sunday. I missed many Bills games this year for their bullshit. I cannot remember the last time her and I had a night out to do anything.

Venting over. 

Edited by The Guy In Pants
  • Sad 4
  • Cheers 1

This is becoming a massive conversation among people that raise chickens. My brother actually made teh switch on his hens and it is making a huge difference. 

• Like 2
  • O Rly 1

The Guy In Pants
On 2/3/2023 at 6:12 AM, Fansince88 said:

This is becoming a massive conversation among people that raise chickens. My brother actually made teh switch on his hens and it is making a huge difference. 

I'm seeing two camps - one is "it's winter and this always happens" and the other is "this is odd and I have never seen it before".

Ironically; most of the ones in the first camp are very rude and arrogant about their opinion. 

Friends of mine tried it and it also made a difference. Also; the chickens are seemingly happier and healthier. 

I am going to making a change to a local feed. Only because since switching to Purina I have had nothing but health problems and the chickens look sickly. I've had fecals done and no parasites found.  One of my hens is very sick and I am about to have a follow-up appt with the vet. 

I don't trust anyone. Certainly no one who is making decisions in any level of government or brainwashed media group. I've said it countless times; &#%$ them all and their manipulative tactics. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Love 1