Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Gardening / Homesteading

The Guy In Pants

13 hours ago, The Guy In Pants said:

Well; I think my wife has finally reached her breaking point on this entire thing. To give you an update because I know you are all loving this Jerry Springer bullshit.....

As you know; we have been waiting 5 months for a survey to be completed. I had a person lined up to do it immediately but her grandpa said no and we are still waiting. "Bud just has to come back and do the other line." is what I got Saturday. On top of that; the corners of our property are not where they were because her uncle pitched a fit and her grandpa is giving him a little more. (Keep uncle in mind when we get further into this story)

In that 5 months; the modular place we were going to get the home built burned down and rates have been increased over and over which is now causing our budget to allow us to get us less and less. Modular prices are absolutely insane so we are exploring local builders. 

I've had a land clearing guy start because the county requires the area be clear but not graded so they can plot the property and lay out where the septic and field will need to be. There is a singlewide from the 70's that is sitting right in our way. The land guy nor the county can do anything where it sits. Her grandpa wants to tear it apart and keep the metal, axels and some other things. It will fall apart when moved but the guy doing the land said he would move it no problem. Grandpa wants it to be moved in the middle of the property we are buying. I said no. It either goes away completely or it gets put on his or the uncles property. We offered to pay the $350 to have someone come pick it up. That was 3 months ago. 

Yesterday, the land guy got to the point we need it moved in the next week. He said he can tear it up and haul it off for $2500. We offered her grandpa to pay that and he said no last night on the phone and my wife got ill for the first time. Me? Oh I have been there, as you now.

On to the uncle. 

This is the uncle that we gave her mothers car to after she passed we have also paid for dumpsters so he could clean out his stuff. He has Parkinson's and we help him all the time. He was upset we were buying the land because he expected his parents to give it to them when they pass. He threw a fit and her grandpa told him that he was to have it because he would sell it outside the family. Anyway; since then, it's been a roller coaster. He's the ultra liberal, CNN addict. He knows our plans of where we had planned to put everything. So; yesterday he called my wife and let her know that "since his property is now going to be extended into the field; he can put up a 3 bay garage....... you know where he wants to put it? Right in front of where our house was going to be.....

He already has a 3 bay garage and has had plenty of room to build it already. He's doing this out of spite. 

Wife and I had a long talk last night. She said she now realizes why her father toyed with the idea of moving away with us before he died. He was not very involved with his family and we can clearly see why now.

We don't know what to do. Thanks to forces beyond our control (may they all rot heartily in hell) the affordability of anything is basically gone. It's quite comical actually.

So; here we are still determined to try and make this work but still rethinking it all. Worst case; we buy it and we don't build there. 

What a circus lol. Y'all don't even know. 

i would tuck and run. Family can be the worse people to do business with.

• Like 4

RochesterRob
13 hours ago, Fansince88 said:

My dad's brother was my worst problem over the years at times.  He could not stand the idea of somebody doing better than he did and if there was any way he could derail something he did so.  His second wife even after their divorce found ways to put a monkey wrench into family business that should not have been possible normally.  I could go on but that would only serve to get my blood boiling thinking about it.  I wish that I could say misery loves company but nobody needs that kind of misery.  

I can appreciate how your wife is just now getting to see what her relatives are truly like.  My sister got a completely different treatment over the many years than what I did.  I suppose our relatives did not see her as a threat unlike myself.  

Edited by RochesterRob
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

The landscaper showed up yesterday. He had an emergency, so was out of pocket for over a week. It coincided with cold nights, so we lost no time and it was probably better for the plants (it wasn't like I was going to run out and cover them). 

rebar.thumb.jpg.d2b5e957a991a494ce9e4d9295a8bac0.jpg

Hubby gave him an earful about the paver job. There was good section where it sloped towards the house, they left a random piece of rebar sticking out of the walkway, they ended up doing an elaborate cut to leave that rebar there! (there were bushes there before, and the former owner used it as a tiedown). They pieced in some pieces that were tiny slivers instead of using a bigger stone, they didn't cap that electric - they just left it sitting in the middle of the walkway, etc. 

Hubby had a few people over to see if they could fix the edging. I accepted the landscapers solution, and told hubby if he hated it, then he pays to have it fixed by someone else. One of the paver guys he had over who saw this job nearly had a heart attack and pointed out dozens of mistakes we did not see. 

The paver guys are back this morning. I have no idea how much of the inward slope they are going to have to dig up to get it to lay correctly (outward towards the grass), and it will be interesting to see how many stones they need to replace. 

Planting starts Monday. Looking at the long range forecast, lows in the 60s, highs in the 80s starts tomorrow.  We should be good to go. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Ann said:

The landscaper showed up yesterday. He had an emergency, so was out of pocket for over a week. It coincided with cold nights, so we lost no time and it was probably better for the plants (it wasn't like I was going to run out and cover them). 

rebar.thumb.jpg.d2b5e957a991a494ce9e4d9295a8bac0.jpg

Hubby gave him an earful about the paver job. There was good section where it sloped towards the house, they left a random piece of rebar sticking out of the walkway, they ended up doing an elaborate cut to leave that rebar there! (there were bushes there before, and the former owner used it as a tiedown). They pieced in some pieces that were tiny slivers instead of using a bigger stone, they didn't cap that electric - they just left it sitting in the middle of the walkway, etc. 

Hubby had a few people over to see if they could fix the edging. I accepted the landscapers solution, and told hubby if he hated it, then he pays to have it fixed by someone else. One of the paver guys he had over who saw this job nearly had a heart attack and pointed out dozens of mistakes we did not see. 

The paver guys are back this morning. I have no idea how much of the inward slope they are going to have to dig up to get it to lay correctly (outward towards the grass), and it will be interesting to see how many stones they need to replace. 

Planting starts Monday. Looking at the long range forecast, lows in the 60s, highs in the 80s starts tomorrow.  We should be good to go. 

With the sandy soil, I'm thinking it is much easier to lay a paver system in FLA than it here in NY. Here in NY, you have an elaborate system to get it done. But if done right, it will last you forever.

Sorry to hear you got a shoddy job. Due to the sloping you have already observed, I would check to see that standard practices were followed. Otherwise, you may have headaches years down the road.

• Cheers 1

CarpetCrawler
On 3/28/2023 at 5:44 AM, The Guy In Pants said:

Well; I think my wife has finally reached her breaking point on this entire thing. To give you an update because I know you are all loving this Jerry Springer bullshit.....

As you know; we have been waiting 5 months for a survey to be completed. I had a person lined up to do it immediately but her grandpa said no and we are still waiting. "Bud just has to come back and do the other line." is what I got Saturday. On top of that; the corners of our property are not where they were because her uncle pitched a fit and her grandpa is giving him a little more. (Keep uncle in mind when we get further into this story)

In that 5 months; the modular place we were going to get the home built burned down and rates have been increased over and over which is now causing our budget to allow us to get us less and less. Modular prices are absolutely insane so we are exploring local builders. 

I've had a land clearing guy start because the county requires the area be clear but not graded so they can plot the property and lay out where the septic and field will need to be. There is a singlewide from the 70's that is sitting right in our way. The land guy nor the county can do anything where it sits. Her grandpa wants to tear it apart and keep the metal, axels and some other things. It will fall apart when moved but the guy doing the land said he would move it no problem. Grandpa wants it to be moved in the middle of the property we are buying. I said no. It either goes away completely or it gets put on his or the uncles property. We offered to pay the $350 to have someone come pick it up. That was 3 months ago. 

Yesterday, the land guy got to the point we need it moved in the next week. He said he can tear it up and haul it off for $2500. We offered her grandpa to pay that and he said no last night on the phone and my wife got ill for the first time. Me? Oh I have been there, as you now.

On to the uncle. 

This is the uncle that we gave her mothers car to after she passed we have also paid for dumpsters so he could clean out his stuff. He has Parkinson's and we help him all the time. He was upset we were buying the land because he expected his parents to give it to them when they pass. He threw a fit and her grandpa told him that he was to have it because he would sell it outside the family. Anyway; since then, it's been a roller coaster. He's the ultra liberal, CNN addict. He knows our plans of where we had planned to put everything. So; yesterday he called my wife and let her know that "since his property is now going to be extended into the field; he can put up a 3 bay garage....... you know where he wants to put it? Right in front of where our house was going to be.....

He already has a 3 bay garage and has had plenty of room to build it already. He's doing this out of spite. 

Wife and I had a long talk last night. She said she now realizes why her father toyed with the idea of moving away with us before he died. He was not very involved with his family and we can clearly see why now.

We don't know what to do. Thanks to forces beyond our control (may they all rot heartily in hell) the affordability of anything is basically gone. It's quite comical actually.

So; here we are still determined to try and make this work but still rethinking it all. Worst case; we buy it and we don't build there. 

What a circus lol. Y'all don't even know. 

If you need anything googled about poisons, or slow, painful deaths, just let me know I'd be glad to do it for you.....you don't want anything like that in your search history. 😉

• Haha 2

The Guy In Pants
On 3/28/2023 at 10:05 AM, Jabba The Hutt said:

Threaten to sell outside the family if they dont knock their shit off, seems like they are scared of that. 

We will sell outside the family for sure. We know the development and rezoning is coming. could be 10 year or 30 years, not sure. But once it comes; we are out lol

On 3/28/2023 at 11:07 AM, Ann said:

After all the pain and suffering her family has put you through, once things are complete, @The Guy In Pants, I'd consider this.  Would your wife go for selling before you build? Is there something comparable (or better) in the area if you were to sell and move on from this property? 

The prices in the area are so inflated, its pathetic. For example; 5 acres for almost $349,000. 19 for like $625,000. LOL!

This area is being overrun by big city devs and commuters who have moved here from outside the state. This was not our first choice. We were so ready on multiple properties but always lost the bidding. We can see who bought them and almost all were devs. They just swoop in; grab the farm land, sub divide and move on. I have two middle fingers and a relatively symmetrical ass they can all kiss. 

Budget is budget and we are only comfortable with a certain max. If her grandpa wasn't in our care, we could branch out a little. My work would provide me a transfer and the area up there is more tame. But, we are close to having to intervene daily with him. There are two ways we can do that: 1 - my wife moves in with him and I stay at the house (not a fan) or 2 - we build a home big enough for him to live with us too. We are getting this property at what should be the market price per acre. Still high but better than other options. 

We will sell when it gets overrun for sure. 

On 3/28/2023 at 3:12 PM, Foxx said:

Right, because all indications are that, this hostage mentality is never going to stop.

It boggles my mind. It shows me that no matter what; nobody will ever be genuinely happy for someone else or even be truly thankful for anything. Even I complain way too much. I have no reason to. My life is not bad. I need for nothing and yet when things get messed up; I get upset and anxious.

On 3/28/2023 at 7:41 PM, Fansince88 said:

We talked again last night. We keep checking the listings.

On 3/28/2023 at 9:18 PM, RochesterRob said:

My dad's brother was my worst problem over the years at times.  He could not stand the idea of somebody doing better than he did and if there was any way he could derail something he did so.  His second wife even after their divorce found ways to put a monkey wrench into family business that should not have been possible normally.  I could go on but that would only serve to get my blood boiling thinking about it.  I wish that I could say misery loves company but nobody needs that kind of misery.  

I can appreciate how your wife is just now getting to see what her relatives are truly like.  My sister got a completely different treatment over the many years than what I did.  I suppose our relatives did not see her as a threat unlike myself.  

Funny how family is the first to stab you in the back. Almost as if they feel entitled to do so. It's all well and fine when they need something and expect you to do it. but, when you need something they would prefer not to. 

Last night I had just finished planting rows of peas and was putting the chickens up when her uncle came over. Asked me if I heard about his building. I told him it would look great (trying to remain civil). He then told me "daddy is up trying to put tires on the trailer to move it since your guy said he wouldn't". I said my guys insurance would not allow him to move it the way ya'll want it moved and he said I should probably let "daddy" know. He does me a favor by keeping one of my freezers in his garage. I pay him $25 a month to do that. I understand he was expecting to receive the property but grandpa is adamant it stays in the family. All of his children would immediately sell it. We would to; but not until it was the only option left with development. 

8 hours ago, CarpetCrawler said:

If you need anything googled about poisons, or slow, painful deaths, just let me know I'd be glad to do it for you.....you don't want anything like that in your search history. 😉

Noted 🤣

Edited by The Guy In Pants
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, The Guy In Pants said:

This area is being overrun by big city devs and commuters who have moved here from outside the state. This was not our first choice. We were so ready on multiple properties but always lost the bidding. We can see who bought them and almost all were devs. They just swoop in; grab the farm land, sub divide and move on. I have two middle fingers and a relatively symmetrical ass they can all kiss. 

The long-time locals have complained about that in this area (I complain about the lack of infrastructure to handle what has been approved). I see the plots of land for sale, see the new developments coming in, so I understand. There is still a cotton field next door to our subdivision (not new),  and farms within a stone's throw, but how much longer they will be able to hold out against the money being offered? 🤷‍♀️

• Like 2

The Guy In Pants
24 minutes ago, Ann said:

The long-time locals have complained about that in this area (I complain about the lack of infrastructure to handle what has been approved). I see the plots of land for sale, see the new developments coming in, so I understand. There is still a cotton field next door to our subdivision (not new),  and farms within a stone's throw, but how much longer they will be able to hold out against the money being offered? 🤷‍♀️

It's sad to see. It's funny to see Facebook posts on the town's page when someone says "We are getting ready to move from Boston to the area and are wondering the best place to look for a home" and someone says "Boston". 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Guy In Pants said:

It's sad to see. It's funny to see Facebook posts on the town's page when someone says "We are getting ready to move from Boston to the area and are wondering the best place to look for a home" and someone says "Boston". 

I love the city of Boston (my grandparents lived in a suburb, and most of my mother's family still lives within the area), but it is not a place I'd pick to work from home. Crazy expensive. 

• Like 1

RochesterRob
2 hours ago, The Guy In Pants said:

We will sell outside the family for sure. We know the development and rezoning is coming. could be 10 year or 30 years, not sure. But once it comes; we are out lol

The prices in the area are so inflated, its pathetic. For example; 5 acres for almost $349,000. 19 for like $625,000. LOL!

Budget is budget and we are only comfortable with a certain max. If her grandpa wasn't in our care, we could branch out a little. My work would provide me a transfer and the area up there is more tame. But, we are close to having to intervene daily with him. There are two ways we can do that: 1 - my wife moves in with him and I stay at the house (not a fan) or 2 - we build a home big enough for him to live with us too. We are getting this property at what should be the market price per acre. Still high but better than other options. 

We will sell when it gets overrun for sure. 

It boggles my mind. It shows me that no matter what; nobody will ever be genuinely happy for someone else or even be truly thankful for anything. Even I complain way too much. I have no reason to. My life is not bad. I need for nothing and yet when things get messed up; I get upset and anxious.

We talked again last night. We keep checking the listings.

Funny how family is the first to stab you in the back. Almost as if they feel entitled to do so. It's all well and fine when they need something and expect you to do it. but, when you need something they would prefer not to. 

Last night I had just finished planting rows of peas and was putting the chickens up when her uncle came over. Asked me if I heard about his building. I told him it would look great (trying to remain civil). He then told me "daddy is up trying to put tires on the trailer to move it since your guy said he wouldn't". I said my guys insurance would not allow him to move it the way ya'll want it moved and he said I should probably let "daddy" know. He does me a favor by keeping one of my freezers in his garage. I pay him $25 a month to do that. I understand he was expecting to receive the property but grandpa is adamant it stays in the family. All of his children would immediately sell it. We would to; but not until it was the only option left with development. 

Noted 🤣

I think that the bloated prices are on the way out.  A lot of things went into continual appreciation of real estate values over the last 100 years.  The US being an industrial power for most of the 20th Century thus importing the currency of other nations to buy our goods.  The Federal government getting in on the home owner business via FHA.  I think that we have squeezed about as much as we can hope for in terms of appreciation unless we allow a free for all in terms of foreign interests buying real estate.  The salaries of people currently in their early working years will not allow it plus most financial institutions provide for generous terms including mortgages that may run 35 or more years in length with no place to expand on that.  The good news is that your salary will have more buying power.  The bad news is real estate will no longer be considered an investment to make a financial gain on.  Nonetheless we are rapidly closing in on a point where all the stimulus will be exhausted to make real estate prices expand.  Short of the Federal government printing money willy-nilly for everybody.  I think before I die we will find out just how smart Herbert Hoover was for being very reluctant to stimulate the economy.  That the worms will be pouring out of the can generations after the lid was opened.  

• Like 2

RochesterRob
1 hour ago, The Guy In Pants said:

That is because outsiders bring taxes because they want services.  Years ago a gentleman from the federal government came to review my parents' business loan as it was federally guaranteed.  He was from Tennessee which was experiencing a great influx of people from the Northern states.  He made no bones about how people ought to just stay where they came from.  Not only because he did not want taxes to go up but he in a lot of ways did not like the culture of Northerners.  I sat in on the meeting and it was fairly uncomfortable knowing how he felt about Northerners calling us Yankees to boot .  Yes, he used the word Yankee and more than once.  Thankfully, the meeting went well and without issue.  It probably helped that he could see that dad, mom, and myself were just folks in the end.  

Edited by RochesterRob
  • Like 2

The Guy In Pants

I am a plant myself and have found that the biggest complaint from most locals is the policies, taxes and such that are brought in from the outside. There was a situation not long ago that I read about where a family from out of state moved to an area and across the street from a generational family dairy farm. They made the life of that farming family hell with complaints and lawsuits etc. It went so far to where the guy got so tired of the bullshit that he abandoned the family farm and instead.......... went into manure business. So the people who moved in and tried to push the farm out got what they wanted; no more animals stinking up the place or having to look at them. Instead; now they have the year round pleasantries of liquid shit. 🤣 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The Guy In Pants

Finally bought a grapple for my tractor this weekend. Got it home, excited to get to work and wouldn't you know it; couplings are wrong for the 3rd function hydraulics. Didn't get to move any trees this weekend. 

take a look at this mammajamma

1F96DDC7-24B3-49E1-B80D-ADAA3C31BC81.jpeg

Edited by The Guy In Pants
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Country Living.

This morning at 4:30 i heard strange noises coming from our back deck area.

Looking outside in the dark I saw a couple rather large animals walking on the deck.

At first, I thought they were just confused deer.

Flipped on the lights and there were 15 goats on my back deck.

Friendly little guys.

Anyway, by dawn they had moved over to the front porch and were pushing the furniture around, so I had to go out and protect my telescope.

I knew my neighbor had goats, so at 8, I went over and told him and he led them back home across the creek with feed buckets just like the pied piper.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

The Guy In Pants
43 minutes ago, Sherpa said:

Country Living.

This morning at 4:30 i heard strange noises coming from our back deck area.

Looking outside in the dark I saw a couple rather large animals walking on the deck.

At first, I thought they were just confused deer.

Flipped on the lights and there were 15 goats on my back deck.

Friendly little guys.

Anyway, by dawn they had moved over to the front porch and were pushing the furniture around, so I had to go out and protect my telescope.

I knew my neighbor had goats, so at 8, I went over and told him and he led them back home across the creek with feed buckets just like the pied piper.

Love that lol

• Love 1

Jabba The Hutt
3 hours ago, The Guy In Pants said:

Finally bought a grapple for my tractor this weekend. Got it home, excited to get to work and wouldn't you know it; couplings are wrong for the 3rd function hydraulics. Didn't get to move any trees this weekend. 

How much do grapples run?

The Guy In Pants
57 minutes ago, Jabba The Hutt said:

How much do grapples run?

This one was $1400 but they can get pricey. 72” and weighs about 525

• Love 1

Jabba The Hutt
41 minutes ago, The Guy In Pants said:

This one was $1400 but they can get pricey. 72” and weighs about 525

Nice! Was definitely hoping to get one once we get our tractor. Hope you get to use yours ASAP

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The Guy In Pants said:

Planet Fitness 'Lift Things Up' In Their Funny New Ad

• Haha 4

The Guy In Pants
18 hours ago, Jabba The Hutt said:

Nice! Was definitely hoping to get one once we get our tractor. Hope you get to use yours ASAP

Thanks! I called a local hydraulics shop and told them what fittings I needed and they ordered them. Should be here today. Rain forecasted for the next 3 Biden terms so that may put a damper on using it.

• Haha 2