Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Gardening / Homesteading

The Guy In Pants

4 hours ago, Ann said:

Thanks. I have been container gardening for over 10 years now, and can grow just about anything in a container up north,  including cabbage, sunflowers, beans, peppers, peas, etc. The Jerusalem artichokes and Brussels sprouts were probably my least successful container garden plants, although they both produced.  Learning what will grow in this climate is my learning curve right now.  How to keep the tomato flowers from frying off is something I need to figure out. 

If you (generic you) don't container garden and really want to, an earth box (not the fake ones at home depot) is the way to go. 

I have containers everywhere here. How does this Earth box differ? Im intrigued. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fansince88 said:

I have containers everywhere here. How does this Earth box differ? Im intrigued. 

It has an aerated shelf at the bottom, the dirt goes on top, along with dolmite. There is a self watering aspect via a water flow tube (excess will drain out and you know it is filled). You can’t overwater. (There is also an auto watering system, but I used so many I never bought it.) You can also attach roller feet, a staking system, and/or elevated stands. Then you put on the mulch cover and never have to weed.

It grows things like crazy. I used to have to give cucumbers to whoever showed up at the house as 100 would be a small yield. I would have enough beans and peppers to freeze through to supply us until the following year. Truly a great system.

• FANtastic 2

The Guy In Pants

Well; canceled the builder. We went and looked at a 15 acre farm last night; 20 minutes up the road from here. 1 acre fishing pond, 40x100 horse barn with electric and water already installed. My wife is in love with it so we put an offer in. 

Longer commute than I would like but we only live once. YOLO right?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 5
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, The Guy In Pants said:

Well; canceled the builder. We went and looked at a 15 acre farm last night; 20 minutes up the road from here. 1 acre fishing pond, 40x100 horse barn with electric and water already installed. My wife is in love with it so we put an offer in. 

Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Love 2

RochesterRob
4 hours ago, The Guy In Pants said:

Do what your need to do.  I wished many times over the last 30 years that life could be that simple.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1

The Guy In Pants
3 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

Do what your need to do.  I wished many times over the last 30 years that life could be that simple.  

I hope it gets a little simpler. i’ll tell you what though the insane impact of just a 1% rate hike in mortgages is absolutely pathetic. Unfortunately with the growth over here and the five-year plan as well as families BS put us in the situation. They have officially broken ground for 157 house subdivision 1 mile from where we live now. I can’t do that lol

• Sad 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, The Guy In Pants said:

I hope it gets a little simpler. i’ll tell you what though the insane impact of just a 1% rate hike in mortgages is absolutely pathetic. Unfortunately with the growth over here and the five-year plan as well as families BS put us in the situation. They have officially broken ground for 157 house subdivision 1 mile from where we live now. I can’t do that lol

Be glad you don't live by me. The 600+ house subdivision going in isn't the largest one planned for the main street we dump into.  It is just the newest one that has been started. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

The Guy In Pants
10 hours ago, Ann said:

Be glad you don't live by me. The 600+ house subdivision going in isn't the largest one planned for the main street we dump into.  It is just the newest one that has been started. 

I could not. Oh man

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 1

18 hours ago, The Guy In Pants said:

Family can be tough. I think I told you that a few months back. 

As far as the interest goes, it going to get worse before we see it get better. My son is building and has decided to go it alone without the bank. Going to be a longer process but hoping within 2 years to be done. 

• Cheers 3

RochesterRob
32 minutes ago, Fansince88 said:

Family can be tough. I think I told you that a few months back. 

As far as the interest goes, it going to get worse before we see it get better. My son is building and has decided to go it alone without the bank. Going to be a longer process but hoping within 2 years to be done. 

In today's world he may very well be better off without the bank.

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

In today's world he may very well be better off without the bank.

Exactly our thought!

The Guy In Pants

Our offer was accepted; we close in July. Inspection on Monday. Seems surreal. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • FANtastic 2
  • Love 2

The Guy In Pants

Didn’t sleep much last night. Planning where the chickens are going, which layout for the greenhouse. I’m going out next week after work to do measurements for the pasture fencing. After 8 months of back and forth and stalls; we’ve seemingly entered warp speed lol.

Ive started packing things into totes. I will say that although I felt my preparedness was lacking; I have more shit that I knew I had lol

Once again God shows me that even my best laid plans are stupid and I just need to give it to all him. He knows I’m not his most steadfast of followers. As the old saying goes; in his time.

Edited by The Guy In Pants
  • Like 3
  • Love 2

25 minutes ago, The Guy In Pants said:

Didn’t sleep much last night. Planning where the chickens are going, which layout for the greenhouse. I’m going out next week after work to do measurements for the pasture fencing. After 8 months of back and forth and stalls; we’ve seemingly entered warp speed lol.

Ive started packing things into totes. I will say that although I felt my preparedness was lacking; I have more shit that I knew I had lol

Once again God shows me that even my best laid plans are stupid and I just need to give it to all him. He knows I’m not his most steadfast of followers. As the old saying goes; in his time.

Moving is the devil. I was on a first name basis with the guy at the Goodwill truck. The positive is you get to see what you have, and can get rid of the (excessive) extras.

What are you doing with the land you just purchased?

The Guy In Pants
4 hours ago, Ann said:

Moving is the devil. I was on a first name basis with the guy at the Goodwill truck. The positive is you get to see what you have, and can get rid of the (excessive) extras.

What are you doing with the land you just purchased?

I hope this is the last time moving lol.

Not sure yet. The hope is that in the next 5 years; it rolls into commercial and we can offload all of it at once. We will own the 11 acres directly at the point where the main road intersects the side road we live on so it’s prime for a business or hotel we would assume. 

• Cheers 2
  • Love 1

The Guy In Pants

Went out yesterday to measure for the fencing and where to put my shop. I sat on the porch for a time while my wife was with the realtor going through furniture the seller offered us. No traffic. No sirens. No jake brakes. Just birds, rain, frogs and a nearby rooster.

That's the horse barn in the distance. Pasture 2 will come up to about that tree line. 

May be an image of grass

Edited by The Guy In Pants
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Love 3

• 2 weeks later...