Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

College Football : General News

B-Man

Mizzou 14, Ohio State 3 was three quarters of boring but a fourth quarter to remember

And a perfect example of how the CFP has broken Bowl Season

Ohio State didn't make the Playoff and just mailed it in for a "New Years Six" which are supposed to be the prestigious Bowls

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

KD in CA
On 12/30/2023 at 6:40 AM, devnull said:

Mizzou 14, Ohio State 3 was three quarters of boring but a fourth quarter to remember

Ohio State didn't make the Playoff and just mailed it in for a "New Years Six" which are supposed to be the prestigious Bowls

Bowls are now nothing but spring games played a few months earlier.  No one cares and half the guys don’t play.

btw, if they still had the old system we’d have the same two teams playing for the championship, except in the Rose Bowl.

• Like 1

Alaska Darin
14 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Bowls are now nothing but spring games played a few months earlier.  No one cares and half the guys don’t play.

btw, if they still had the old system we’d have the same two teams playing for the championship, except in the Rose Bowl.

I would've loved that but man, how anyone can take a PAC12 team seriously is beyond me.  They just don't play defense on the West Coast.

Texas has to be dying right now watching Washington get worked by Michigan.

• Like 2

Alaska Darin
On 12/30/2023 at 8:40 AM, devnull said:

There will be more playoff teams next season, so there will be at least a number of interesting games in the lead up to the CFB Title game.

It's not like the bowls have been super interesting since they started the "playoff" - they really haven't been.  It's just increasingly obvious because more players who are going to be drafted are opting out because they don't need to put anything else on tape.

• Like 1

MothersMilk
1 hour ago, Alaska Darin said:

I would've loved that but man, how anyone can take a PAC12 team seriously is beyond me.  They just don't play defense on the West Coast.

This is nowhere near over...

KD in CA
2 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

I’ve been rooting for Washington, but they have no answer for UMs pass rush.  If they could have given Penix just a little bit of time this could have been a fun ending.

And I still don’t get the JJ McCarthy hype.

2 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

There will be more playoff teams next season, so there will be at least a number of interesting games in the lead up to the CFB Title game.

It's not like the bowls have been super interesting since they started the "playoff" - they really haven't been.  It's just increasingly obvious because more players who are going to be drafted are opting out because they don't need to put anything else on tape.

It’s going to be interesting to see the impact all of these fan collectives have, operating under the NIL umbrella. With the transfer portal being what it is now, it seems like the larger schools, operating in concert with the collectives, may start poaching players from each other with actual $ promises (instead of the usual under the table wink-nod agreements and $100 handshakes). If I recall correctly from the NYTs article, Penix got something like $700K to play this year.

And will these agreements and money transfers between players and collectives come with other strings attached, such as the player also has to agree to not opt of any game they are otherwise healthy enough to play? And even if there’s an agreement, what’s to stop a future first rounder (who will be able to afford expensive litigation, if needed) from telling them to go pound sand and renege on a deal? I think it’s going to take a few more years for the full NIL impact and how to bend the rules shakes out. 

• Applause 1

Alaska Darin
On 1/8/2024 at 9:01 PM, MothersMilk said:

This is nowhere near over...

Michigan's refusal to throw the ball on first down gave Penix 90345803498504 chances to make it a real game.  Too bad he couldn't.

Once again, another PAC 12 team gets exposed because literally no one out there plays anything close to SEC/BIG10 defense.

• Like 1

Alaska Darin
On 1/8/2024 at 10:49 PM, Hedge said:

It’s going to be interesting to see the impact all of these fan collectives have, operating under the NIL umbrella. With the transfer portal being what it is now, it seems like the larger schools, operating in concert with the collectives, may start poaching players from each other with actual $ promises (instead of the usual under the table wink-nod agreements and $100 handshakes). If I recall correctly from the NYTs article, Penix got something like $700K to play this year.

And will these agreements and money transfers between players and collectives come with other strings attached, such as the player also has to agree to not opt of any game they are otherwise healthy enough to play? And even if there’s an agreement, what’s to stop a future first rounder (who will be able to afford expensive litigation, if needed) from telling them to go pound sand and renege on a deal? I think it’s going to take a few more years for the full NIL impact and how to bend the rules shakes out. 

I do think you're onto something here - especially when you can incentivize the playoffs over the "Raid Kills Bugs Dead/Jimmy John's Bowl".  It'll cost money up front that will be more than made up on the back end.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

ESPN reporting Nick Saban is retiring. 

17 years as 'Bama coach. Not sure anyone saw this coming.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Foxx said:

I sure didn't, I figured he was gonna keep going.  But he's got nothing left to prove and he's going out on top, so cheers to him.

• Like 3

Uncle Joe
14 hours ago, Foxx said:

Well Miami didn't see him leaving either. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

One of the key parts of the lawsuit is on behalf of players who enter the transfer portal but are not allowed to discuss NIL opportunities before they enroll at a particular school. It’s clear that lawmakers in both states are trying to send a message that the NCAA should not have this much power when it comes to future earnings of student-athletes.

“By restricting NIL discussions for prospective college athletes, the NCAA’s current policy restricts schools from competing to arrange NIL compensation for prospective college athletes and suppresses athletes’ NIL compensation by deterring the free movement of labor.”

Very much related, as it prompted the threat of the NCAA going after Tennessee. Tennessee just filed first.

As a side note: we're beginning to see how Sports Marketing/Management Agencies are going to be intertwined with the individual fan collectives.

• Applause 2

• 1 month later...