Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

The Star Trek Thread

RochesterRob

12 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Except "warp speed" doesn't represent the direct powering of the ship to supra-luminal speeds.  It represents the "warping" of space through extra spatial dimensions so that the travel distance is lessened.  And in that case, given that the ship exits normal space, it requires no energy...since how can it consume energy if it doesn't, in fact, exist?  

And it takes ridiculous amounts of mass (which can be even more ridiculous amounts of energy) to warp time &/or space.

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RochesterRob

• B-Man

• devnull

• Crap Throwing Clavin

RIP Sally Kellerman who appeared in the second pilot as Dr Dehner.  Her career crest most likely was appearing in the 1970 movie MASH as Hot Lips Houlihan.  Few actors can make the claim of being very early in two major entertainment franchises.  She also appeared in the Rodney Dangerfield movie Back to School.  Anyways, I enjoyed her work in Where No Man Has Gone Before which had an All Star cast including Gary Lockwood (2001) and Lloyd Haynes (Room 222).  

• Like 1

This week's review will be of the episode The Galileo Seven airing Wednesday March 2 on WHEC 10.5 Rochester Heroes & Icons.  In short what should be a routine scientific mission results with a shuttlecraft missing with Spock in command of it.  Spock is pressured in terms of crew resentment of his decisions and Kirk is pressured to make a schedule in terms of transferring life saving drugs.  Spock makes a human-like gamble to get the shuttlecraft into orbit so Kirk can make a rescue.  

Guest Stars : John Crawford as Commissioner Ferris.  Crawford strikes a balance in terms of being a force for his responsibility which getting badly needed drugs to a colony and being a richard noggin to Kirk as far as launching the mission to investigate the quasar.  In a perfect world we do not let our personal feelings carry over in a negative fashion in dealing with others.  But we do not live in a perfect world.  Crawford did not write the script but did an excellent job in venting his character's spleen even if it was not proper to do so.  Crawford had wide exposure in film and television including being a henchman on Batman, kindly but firm sheriff on The Walton's, and the Mayor of SF in the third Dirty Harry movie.  Don Marshall as Lt Boma.  A good job portraying a minority character that is a focal point for the group expressing their displeasure over Spock being emotionless over their plight.  His approach was head on as opposed to being polite to the point of being unbelievable.  

Plot : Not much to quibble about here.  At a distance and putting more at risk if the Enterprise closed in on the quasar it was natural to launch a shuttle craft to do the scientific mission.  I guess I might question why a quasar would be so important to research hundred's of years into the future but maybe it was such a low priority that deliberate missions were never considered.  Not so far fetched to have to engage in two non-complimentary missions at the same time.  Happens all the time in the real world.  And for that matter in the real world the ambulance despite the best of maintenance does break down on the way to the hospital with a patient on board.  So Kirk and Ferris have to deal with something that can happen even if it seldom does on a regular basis.

Enterprise Crew : A good Kirk episode where he is pushed out of his comfort zone in answering to Ferris over his duties.  Also, more than bravado in showing concern for the well being of his shipmates including Spock and McCoy.  Spock being pushed out of his comfort zone in terms of logic being the strict answer to all problems concerning command.  Scott was good in terms of reinforcing the decisions of a mission commander even if he did not agree with them personally.

Writing : Good pacing for the episode overall.  Distribution of the dialog was good and gave more time to Ferris than what might have been originally contemplated.  Nice touch at the end to analyze Spock's decision by his bridge peers.  

Music : More reuse of existing scores but all well placed to heighten the emotion in a given scene.  

Special Effects Spotlight :  The quasar and Taurus II get a makeover in the remaster which was well done.  The re-entry into orbit by the shuttle craft looked more video game quality than it should have.

Civil Rights Milestone : Boma voicing his displeasure over Spock's reaction of the mission going foul.  A stretch that the shuttle crew would be allowed to more or less disrespect Spock but that is the direction the producers went in.  But they made good use of it in allowing Boma to throw out his opinion of things to the moment.  No alien beings using their powers to open a door such as it was in Plato's Stepchildren.  Honest in light of the parameters laid out in terms of script.  Boma did not have to mind his place.

Summary : Well written overall if not perfect.  Guest Stars and their characters to give a feel of a real mission that has rough edges to it.  Strong Kirk and Spock episode.  Not given much to do but Phyllis Douglas did alright sweating in the shuttle craft and giggling at Spock's discomfort at the end when analyzing his decision by the bridge crew.  I give it an A -.

Edited by RochesterRob
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

This week's review will be of the episode The Galileo Seven airing Wednesday March 2 on WHEC 10.5 Rochester Heroes & Icons.  In short what should be a routine scientific mission results with a shuttlecraft missing with Spock in command of it.  Spock is pressured in terms of crew resentment of his decisions and Kirk is pressured to make a schedule in terms of transferring life saving drugs.  Spock makes a human-like gamble to get the shuttlecraft into orbit so Kirk can make a rescue.  

Guest Stars : John Crawford as Commissioner Ferris.  Crawford strikes a balance in terms of being a force for his responsibility which getting badly needed drugs to a colony and being a richard noggin to Kirk as far as launching the mission to investigate the quasar.  In a perfect world we do not let our personal feelings carry over in a negative fashion in dealing with others.  But we do not live in a perfect world.  Crawford did not write the script but did an excellent job in venting his character's spleen even if it was not proper to do so.  Crawford had wide exposure in film and television including being a henchman on Batman, kindly but firm sheriff on The Walton's, and the Mayor of SF in the third Dirty Harry movie.  Don Marshall as Lt Boma.  A good job portraying a minority character that is a focal point for the group expressing their displeasure over Spock being emotionless over their plight.  His approach was head on as opposed to being polite to the point of being unbelievable.  

Plot : Not much to quibble about here.  At a distance and putting more at risk if the Enterprise closed in on the quasar it was natural to launch a shuttle craft to do the scientific mission.  I guess I might question why a quasar would be so important to research hundred's of years into the future but maybe it was such a low priority that deliberate missions were never considered.  Not so far fetched to have to engage in two non-complimentary missions at the same time.  Happens all the time in the real world.  And for that matter in the real world the ambulance despite the best of maintenance does break down on the way to the hospital with a patient on board.  So Kirk and Ferris have to deal with something that can happen even if it seldom does on a regular basis.

Enterprise Crew : A good Kirk episode where he is pushed out of his comfort zone in answering to Ferris over his duties.  Also, more than bravado in showing concern for the well being of his shipmates including Spock and McCoy.  Spock being pushed out of his comfort zone in terms of logic being the strict answer to all problems concerning command.  Scott was good in terms of reinforcing the decisions of a mission commander even if he did not agree with them personally.

Writing : Good pacing for the episode overall.  Distribution of the dialog was good and gave more time to Ferris than what might have been originally contemplated.  Nice touch at the end to analyze Spock's decision by his bridge peers.  

Music : More reuse of existing scores but all well placed to heighten the emotion in a given scene.  

Special Effects Spotlight :  The quasar and Taurus II get a makeover in the remaster which was well done.  The re-entry into orbit by the shuttle craft looked more video game quality than it should have.

Civil Rights Milestone : Boma voicing his displeasure over Spock's reaction of the mission going foul.  A stretch that the shuttle crew would be allowed to more or less disrespect Spock but that is the direction the producers went in.  But they made good use of it in allowing Boma to throw out his opinion of things to the moment.  No alien beings using their powers to open a door such as it was in Plato's Stepchildren.  Honest in light of the parameters laid out in terms of script.  Boma did not have to mind his place.

Summary : Well written overall if not perfect.  Guest Stars and their characters to give a feel of a real mission that has rough edges to it.  Strong Kirk and Spock episode.  Not given much to do but Phyllis Douglas did alright sweating in the shuttle craft and giggling at Spock's discomfort at the end when analyzing his decision by the bridge crew.  I give it an A -.

One of my personal favorite episodes.  Nice write up.

• Like 2

Just now, Taro T said:

One of my personal favorite episodes.  Nice write up.

Thank you.  I often wonder if I over do it or not do enough.  My intention normally is to provide jumping in points for others so I try not to be a complete-ist when I do a write up.

On 2/23/2022 at 3:49 PM, Taro T said:

Serious question.

Why is it that nobody in the Star Trek universe uses the Heisenberg Chambers (colloquially Transporters) to create multiple versions of themselves?

If the technology exists to where every single atom & subatomic particle can be replicated in its current state including momentum & spin & all the other properties in some other location, how is it they can't store that information in any of their computers & use it to make another or multiple copies of the person (or item) being transported?

You could have a military done up even more precisely than the Star Wars storm troopers.

You could let a person go out on a dangerous mission & if he/she croaks, just zap 'em back to what they were right before they embarked on the mission.  

Need another kidney?  Copy it from a healthier time & then swap it out for the diseased/damaged one.

Have fun screwing with your friends minds.  Didn't we just see you go out THAT door over there?  Nope.

Totally get that the good guy Federation types wouldn't abuse the technology.  But do we honestly believe Harry Mudd &/or the Klingons wouldn't use it for nefarious purposes?  And there have to be Jeffrey Epstein types in the future.  We really supposed to believe there wouldn't suddenly be an overpopulation of Orion Slave girls?

So what is the "sitcom math" tool that keeps it always a 1 for 1 (IF everything goes right) & not a 1 for many transformation?

The transporter seems perfect for medical applications (replacing damaged organs, removing diseased/cancerous tissue, reversing aging, etc.) They went so far as to elaborate that it could screen out harmful bacteria/viruses (so no decon necessary.)

While Voyager got into it a little bit, the transporter would also make an excellent offensive weapon. Pierce their shields, and start transporting vital systems and/or the enemy crew into space. Same with intruders in your ship; just transport them 5 miles off the starboard bow.

• Like 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
On 2/28/2022 at 4:10 PM, Koko said:

The transporter seems perfect for medical applications (replacing damaged organs, removing diseased/cancerous tissue, reversing aging, etc.) They went so far as to elaborate that it could screen out harmful bacteria/viruses (so no decon necessary.)

While Voyager got into it a little bit, the transporter would also make an excellent offensive weapon. Pierce their shields, and start transporting vital systems and/or the enemy crew into space. Same with intruders in your ship; just transport them 5 miles off the starboard bow.

I think one of the limitations of the transporter is that the transporter pad has to be one terminus of the transport.  So you couldn't really beam intruders in to space, not unless you beamed them too the pad first.  (At least once, the transporter was used to basically execute a criminal in that way.  Wolf in the Fold, they carry Hengis/Jack the Ripper to the pad and beam him in to space on maximum dispersal).  And another of the limitations was that if you're not on the pad, you need some sort of tracker on you for the transporter to lock on - e.g. a communicator. 

So you can't just beam an intruder to the pad.  Ditto for equipment, too...though you could conceivably beam, say, demolition charges or grenades on to another ship.  But at that point, if you can beam onto another ship, the shields are down, so just hit it with a photon torpedo or something.  

RochesterRob

This week's review will be of the episode The Return of the Archons airing Tuesday (not Wednesday) March 8 on WHEC 10.5 Rochester Heroes & Icons.  In short a routine survey goes awry when Sulu is beamed up and apparently under the influence of an alien device.  Kirk beams down with another landing party but soon those efforts get turned sideways plus the planet possesses offensive capabilities which is used to attempt to knock the Enterprise out of orbit.  In a manno-e-computer showdown Kirk shows who has the better brain power which is just in time to save the ship.

Guest Stars : Another bounty of actors here.  Harry Townsend as Reger a leader of a resistance cell.  I like Townsend's willingness to invest in the character which shows whimsiness in explaining the history of Landru and out right hysteria when the time is close to do the reveal of Landru.  We have seen Townsend before in shows such as Bonanza and The Incredible Hulk.  Should be noted that Townsend was a minister which had to be rare for a Hollywood actor.  Torin Thatcher as Marplon another member of the resistance cell.  Similar range as Townsend as the episode unfolds.  Thatcher was primarily known as an actor who portrayed villains and may be best known as the sorcerer from the late 1950's Sinbad movie.  Morgan Farley as Hacom an elder in the planet's society.  His screen time is brief but he had me believing he was a hard nose when it came to following the rules of society.  If I was a kid he would have scared me with the first threat of "get off my lawn!"  

Plot : The first of several episodes which have a theme of a dystopian society.  This episode comes soon after Court Martial in which KIrk has to defeat a computer and would have a few similarly themed episodes not much later. The first episode where Kirk beams down into probable danger and definitely not the last.  The first episode to have a crew member taken over by an external force via a device.  I'm not sure as to what else to say here that will not be covered later.

Enterprise Crew : A lot of work for George Takei early on.  Not great with the stoner take he had while explaining Landru upon beam back into the transporter room.  But Takei was competent overall.  DeForrest Kelley gets his first turn at being hysterical after being "converted" by Landru while in the prison cell with the rest of the landing party.  Round two doing the same routine in The City on the Edge of Forever had more impact for me.  Kirk and Spock while present for most of the airtime really did not stand out other than in the climax with Landru.  Scotty did his part worrying about the Enterprise.

Writing : Some feel that this was an anti-religion story and others felt that this was an anti-big government story.  I always felt it was an anti-modern society story.  Landru rolled back the clock many millenia to take Beta III out of a futuristic age and into an early agrarian age.  I guess it was a good thing that the inhabitants did not need modern medicine to maintain a society in terms of population numbers.  

Music : The familiar scores help enhance some of the slow portions of the episode.  

Special Effects Spotlight : Beta III gets a makeover in the remaster.

Summary : An episode where the actors and music lift the episode out of being mediocre.  If somebody else has an opinion I am anxious to hear it.  Definitely while not great it is greater than the sum of its individual parts.  I give it a B -.

Post note : I wanted to wait until tomorrow to do this week's review as I did not feel all that inspired this evening but Wednesday's and Thursday's episodes have already been done and time-wise I did not want to cut it too close.  Apologies if this review does not have a lot of meat to it.

• Cheers 1

RochesterRob

RIP Laurel Goodwin who appeared as Yeoman Colt in the first pilot which was reworked into The Menagerie Pts 1 & 2.  Her career highlight was appearing in the Elvis Presley movie Girls Girls Girls in 1962.  Goodwin was 79.

• Sad 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
On 3/6/2022 at 6:43 PM, RochesterRob said:

This week's review will be of the episode The Return of the Archons airing Tuesday (not Wednesday) March 8 on WHEC 10.5 Rochester Heroes & Icons.  In short a routine survey goes awry when Sulu is beamed up and apparently under the influence of an alien device.  Kirk beams down with another landing party but soon those efforts get turned sideways plus the planet possesses offensive capabilities which is used to attempt to knock the Enterprise out of orbit.  In a manno-e-computer showdown Kirk shows who has the better brain power which is just in time to save the ship.

Guest Stars : Another bounty of actors here.  Harry Townsend as Reger a leader of a resistance cell.  I like Townsend's willingness to invest in the character which shows whimsiness in explaining the history of Landru and out right hysteria when the time is close to do the reveal of Landru.  We have seen Townsend before in shows such as Bonanza and The Incredible Hulk.  Should be noted that Townsend was a minister which had to be rare for a Hollywood actor.  Torin Thatcher as Marplon another member of the resistance cell.  Similar range as Townsend as the episode unfolds.  Thatcher was primarily known as an actor who portrayed villains and may be best known as the sorcerer from the late 1950's Sinbad movie.  Morgan Farley as Hacom an elder in the planet's society.  His screen time is brief but he had me believing he was a hard nose when it came to following the rules of society.  If I was a kid he would have scared me with the first threat of "get off my lawn!"  

Plot : The first of several episodes which have a theme of a dystopian society.  This episode comes soon after Court Martial in which KIrk has to defeat a computer and would have a few similarly themed episodes not much later. The first episode where Kirk beams down into probable danger and definitely not the last.  The first episode to have a crew member taken over by an external force via a device.  I'm not sure as to what else to say here that will not be covered later.

Enterprise Crew : A lot of work for George Takei early on.  Not great with the stoner take he had while explaining Landru upon beam back into the transporter room.  But Takei was competent overall.  DeForrest Kelley gets his first turn at being hysterical after being "converted" by Landru while in the prison cell with the rest of the landing party.  Round two doing the same routine in The City on the Edge of Forever had more impact for me.  Kirk and Spock while present for most of the airtime really did not stand out other than in the climax with Landru.  Scotty did his part worrying about the Enterprise.

Writing : Some feel that this was an anti-religion story and others felt that this was an anti-big government story.  I always felt it was an anti-modern society story.  Landru rolled back the clock many millenia to take Beta III out of a futuristic age and into an early agrarian age.  I guess it was a good thing that the inhabitants did not need modern medicine to maintain a society in terms of population numbers.  

Music : The familiar scores help enhance some of the slow portions of the episode.  

Special Effects Spotlight : Beta III gets a makeover in the remaster.

Summary : An episode where the actors and music lift the episode out of being mediocre.  If somebody else has an opinion I am anxious to hear it.  Definitely while not great it is greater than the sum of its individual parts.  I give it a B -.

Post note : I wanted to wait until tomorrow to do this week's review as I did not feel all that inspired this evening but Wednesday's and Thursday's episodes have already been done and time-wise I did not want to cut it too close.  Apologies if this review does not have a lot of meat to it.

It basically foreshadows the whole Woke/Cancel Culture movement.

c2c65457-78c0-411e-b07d-0d17a8742439_tex

• Like 2

RochesterRob
9 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

It basically foreshadows the whole Woke/Cancel Culture movement.

c2c65457-78c0-411e-b07d-0d17a8742439_tex

So, Biden is Landru in terms of the machine?  I could see Biden spout Landru's dialog at the climax of this episode complete with circuits frying.

Tonight on MeTV they showed " where No Man Has Gone Before" as an homage to Sally Kellerman who passed away this week. I believe this was basically the first episode filmed after the Menagerie. Spock has some emotional inflections in his speech. Scotty 's hair was shorter than later, Sulu was a blue shirt and there was no Bones.

• Like 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
11 hours ago, Wacka said:

Tonight on MeTV they showed " where No Man Has Gone Before" as an homage to Sally Kellerman who passed away this week. I believe this was basically the first episode filmed after the Menagerie. Spock has some emotional inflections in his speech. Scotty 's hair was shorter than later, Sulu was a blue shirt and there was no Bones.

After filming that pilot, Gary Lockwood's very next project was Frank Poole 2001: A Space Odyssey.  

That's quite a resume, having major guest roles in two of the most influential science fiction vehicles in a row.

RochesterRob

This week's review will be of the episode The City on the Edge of Forever airing Wednesday March 16 on WHEC 10.5 Rochester Heroes & Icons.  In short an accident involving an unintended overdose sends McCoy via a vortex back to Earth's past.  Kirk and Spock enter the same vortex in an effort to retrieve McCoy and Kirk in the process meets a woman who is years ahead of her time.  Kirk and Spock are successful in joining up with McCoy who complicates things by letting the woman die thus letting the future unfold as the Enterprise officers know and returns back to the home planet of the vortex.

Guest Stars : Joan Collins as Edith Keeler.  I'm not a Collins fan so her work here had to be of high quality for me to give praise which it was.  I enjoyed her portrayal of a woman who could keep Kirk busy by being enthralled about her seemingly insightful curiosity about the future.  Also, good at being defensive in regards to the 21 Street Mission when she questions Kirk and Spock about the missing tools.  Also, caring about the less fortunate who pass through the mission to whatever fate awaits them whether good or bad.  Bart LaRue as the Guardian of Forever which is the time vortex that people travel through.  Not a lot to do but good at questioning Spock's scientific background in a mildly obnoxious manner.

Plot : Dammit, Bones, you probably administered many doses with your hypo in an unsure environment namely a starship.  The ship is shaking as it was so McCoy should be keen as to handling medical instruments.  A mild stretch that he would be anything less than completely careful with powerful drugs.  Pretty fortunate that Kirk, Spock, and McCoy land in a time and an area where electricity is readily available to convert a tricorder into the equivalent of a laptop.  Eddies and currents in time did not bother me as to all winding up in 1930's New York but maybe some here were.  The bum was not important in any meaningful way?  I'm not so sure about that.  Him asking for a nickel might have prevented someone from making a very important meeting for all we know.  JD Rockefeller was delayed in making a very important meeting on the East Coast by missing his original train trip.  Turns out that may have saved his life as the original train suffered a very serious mishap going over Angola Creek.  Yes, that Angola Creek which is maybe 30-40 minutes south of downtown Buffalo, NY.  

Enterprise Crew : Excellent episode for Kirk, Spock, and McCoy.  Kirk has to do something other than thinking about the woman of the moment as material for a mattress.  That he has to engage a woman intellectually.  Spock usually has some boundary in dealing with people that he considers friends but he has to have a heart to heart in warning Kirk about Keeler's intended fate.  McCoy excellent in terms of being messed up by drugs and then having to crawl out its stupor.  A good episode for Uhura being used on the Landing Party but the part about being frightened should have been done away with.  

Writing : The teleplay was about as good as one could hope for.  Interesting and full of unexpected turns.  Good pacing overall but maybe a tad less time could have been spent pondering the tricorder data.  Lets talk about Harlan Ellison who was the original story provider.  His version called for a crewman to be dealing drugs onboard the Enterprise and the Guardian to mete out justice for the harm caused by this crewman.  While illicit drugs were already discussed on the show via Mudd's Women I don't know about a crewman exploiting his fellow shipmates would have flown on 1960's television.  Also, it seems Ellison had little idea as to how a television show was budgeted back then as well.  His story called for Kirk and Spock to be chased by 100's of people through the streets of NY and he expected 100's of extras to be hired for it.  Ellison spent decades being sore abut his experience in terms of his Trek contribution but you have to wonder just how much he watched television back then to have a feel for the production values versus a feature motion picture.

Music : Excellent use of existing scores.  I liked the solemn piece used at the very end while the land party transports back to the ship.  

Special Effects Spotlight : The dead planet and the horizon around the Guardian Vortex get upgrades in the Remaster.

Summary : What I always suspected about Shatner is revealed here in that if he thinks he is working with a good story and a good guest star he will immerse himself in terms of Kirk.  A story that is a little of the ordinary in terms of themes such as (unintended) drug use.   A good guest star in Collins that makes excellent use of the material.  I give it ......drum roll..... an A.

Post note : While Collins was an excellent actress her intellect does not quite keep pace.  Just warning those who read or watch interviews that Collins gives in regards to her appearance on Star Trek.  You have been warned.

• Cheers 1

This episode uses Mayberry as the city streets. They can be seen walking past Floyd's Barber Shop as shown in a few stills. They wee both filmed at Desilu. That may be why Clint Howard was in "The Corbomite Maneuver". I believe "Miri" may have been filmed on that set also.

Edited by Wacka
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

RochesterRob
11 hours ago, Wacka said:

This episode uses Mayberry as the city streets. They can be seen walking past Floyd's Barber Shop as shown in a few stills. They wee both filmed at Desilu. That may be why Clint Howard was in "The Corbomite Maneuver". I believe "Miri" may have been filmed on that set also.

Desilu is a topic that I want to do an expanded look at some time down the road.  I think that Rance who was the father to both Ron and Clint was a big reason as to Clint appearing on Star Trek.  Rance appeared in the 3rd Season TAGS episode Barney and the Governor (a favorite of mine) and both Clint and Rance appeared much later in the same film which was Apollo 13.  But the essence you describe is correct in that Desilu had actors under contract to appear in various shows as needed.  Also, the producers and directors had favorites that had priority over other actors when it came to jobs.  Roger Perry who appeared as Captain Christopher in Tomorrow is Yesterday was said to be highly thought of by Desilu head Lucille Ball.  Like I said I will do a feature at some point when I have more material gathered and my thoughts organized.  Before I leave I would like to mention that the shooting locations were often under tight scheduling.  I just recently read about how Star Trek had things upended for shooting an episode because Gomer Pyle, USMC already had that location booked.  People speak of the Golden Age of Hollywood but for me the mid-1960's was my personal golden age of television production.  

• Like 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
2 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

Desilu is a topic that I want to do an expanded look at some time down the road.  I think that Rance who was the father to both Ron and Clint was a big reason as to Clint appearing on Star Trek.  Rance appeared in the 3rd Season TAGS episode Barney and the Governor (a favorite of mine) and both Clint and Rance appeared much later in the same film which was Apollo 13.  But the essence you describe is correct in that Desilu had actors under contract to appear in various shows as needed.  Also, the producers and directors had favorites that had priority over other actors when it came to jobs.  Roger Perry who appeared as Captain Christopher in Tomorrow is Yesterday was said to be highly thought of by Desilu head Lucille Ball.  Like I said I will do a feature at some point when I have more material gathered and my thoughts organized.  Before I leave I would like to mention that the shooting locations were often under tight scheduling.  I just recently read about how Star Trek had things upended for shooting an episode because Gomer Pyle, USMC already had that location booked.  People speak of the Golden Age of Hollywood but for me the mid-1960's was my personal golden age of television production.  

Desilu fascinates me, as only one part of the influence that Arnaz and Ball had on television.  What they did with I Love Lucy is absolutely remarkable - bringing film techniques to TV production, the three-camera set, inventing - literally - both reruns and syndication.  They basically invented modern television, with techniques that are still in use to this day.  

• Like 1

I saw something on the web which showed pictures of the Desilu lot back then and what it is today.  Right next to the barracks was the adjoining neighborhood.  Those houses are still there. Stalag 13 was razed as a scene in "Ilsa, Shewolf of the SS", the hardR/soft X movie. Over the "hill" past the stalag gate was \the  Gomer Pyle Quonset huts. The parking for the area was behind the camera location on Hogan Heroes

• Like 1