• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RochesterRob

• B-Man

• devnull

• Crap Throwing Clavin

RochesterRob

This week's review will be of the episode Mirror Mirror airing Tuesday March 22 on WHEC 10.5 Rochester Heroes & Icons.  In short returning from a diplomatic mission via the transporter places the landing party in a parallel universe complete with an alternate Enterprise and crew.  This parallel universe is very violent in nature threatening the lives of this universe's landing party.  The Spock's of both universes deduce the switch of landing parties and return each to its proper universe restoring order.

Guest Stars : Vic Perrin as the Halkan leader.  Perrin has an array of credits for voice over work but gets live work here.  Not much to do here but sometimes the name of the game is just to get through without a flub and he does.  Barbara Luna as Lt Marlena Mareau.  Luna gets to flex her acting chops including displaying resignation, lust, and cunning.  If that was not enough her Starfleet uniform gets a Forever 21 makeover complete with bare midriff, mini skirt, and thigh high boots.  

Plot : Ion storm opens a small rift for the two landing parties to exchange places.  As a kid you just roll with the explanation but as an adult with some science classes under your belt I don' know where to get started to explain how this was possible.  Scotty is an excellent engineer but here he goes well past being a miracle worker.  I guess if you throw enough power into a problem then anything else is possible.  A Federation is possible when all the members are willing to join together to promote a common cause.  How does an empire that requires force to maintain order get by with 12 starships or some similar structure that the Federation uses?  

Enterprise Crew : Very good episode for Kirk as he gets to use most of his personal tools including charm, bravado, and the obligatory moralizing at the climax.  Good episode for Spock and not because of the VanDyke.  His alternate persona roamed large because he implied force with his intellect rather than rolling exclusively with force.  But when force was needed versus being desired he readily dispensed it such as with the agonizer in the transporter room.  Scott and McCoy did well and kudos to Nichelle for the quick turnabout in the transporter room disarming Mareau's phaser.  To our pleasant surprise Nichelle also gets to rock the alternate women's uniform.  Who was the better heavy between Sulu and Chekov?  I'll say Sulu because he gets to run the Enterprise like it was his own police state.

Writing : Well paced and the script provided plenty of action.  Science aside the story got us to where the viewer needed to be at most points during the episode.

Music : Liked the piece used while the landing party initially traded universes.  Also, the score used while Kirk was moralizing at the climax.

Special Effects Spotlight : The Halkan World and transporter effects get upgrades in the remaster.

Costumes : Bravo to Bill Theiss for the women's uniform which was previously mentioned.  Very hot and kind of predicted women's fashion in closer times to our own.  Boo to Kirk's uniform which looked quite flamboyant.  

Summary : An episode loaded with action.  Intellectually, a little difficult to put one's head around.  Engineering is upgraded with an obvious upper level.  Barbara Luna.  Still struggling with the transposition aspect.  I give it a B -.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

RochesterRob

This week's review will be of the episode Friday's Child airing Wednesday March 30 on WHEC 10.5 Rochester Heroes  & Icons.  In short a diplomatic mission is complicated when the landing party is caught between two factions of of a primitive society on Capella IV.  Further complicating things is a Klingon ruse drawing the Enterprise away from the planet cutting off support for the landing party.  A retreat in to the mountains buys the time for the landing party for the Enterprise to return and in turn save the landing party from certain death.

Guest Stars : Julie Newmar as the consort of the planet's ruler named Eleen.  A nice role to contrast with her more familiar work on Batman which would be without Newmar for its last season which was concurrent with ST's second season.  Being a woman ready to give birth did not allow an immediate fallback for the viewer nor Newmar in terms of complementing her acting abilities with her physical attributes.  Nothing earth shattering but as an actress she understands the story as it unfolds and can show the appropriate emotion as needed.  From a culture that values strength above all else Newmar imparts the attitude for a time that the child is a useless appendage of a now dead leader.  Tighe Andrews as the Klingon agent sent to tilt the mining rights in favor of the Klingons.  As Barretta's boss among other roles shows that Andrews is versatile and demonstrates range.  Here I feel he is wasted as while present through most of the episode.  I would have preferred some interaction via a communications device with a Klingon superior as to how he felt the plan was unfolding among other things.  As used his character was a simple manipulator.  Ben Gage as the ruler Akaar killed off in a power struggle.  Not much to do and a workmanlike performance.

Plot : Normally, this is where I grouse about shortcomings.  But given the direction that the production crew chose to follow there is not a whole lot to criticize.  Kirk was going down to the planet regardless of all else with the Enterprise possibly being called away which in facts happens here.  The Enterprise was going to rush to the aid of another Federation vessel leaving the landing party vulnerable even for a short time.  The Capellan's were going to be drawn up as power worshipping primitives which would make the landing party more vulnerable because reasoning would be of little value to the Capellan's.

Enterprise Crew : A good episode for McCoy as he is thrust into the unfamiliar medical discipline of pediatrician.  Also, dealing with an alien who for the most part was not interested in what McCoy was trying to do for her or what he was trying to say.  Scotty does not disappoint as he has to follow Starfleet regulations despite his wariness of leaving the landing party unsupported.  Kirk and Spock do well here.

Writing : I questioned making the pursuit of the landing party into the Capellan interior a large part of the story but it does not trip over its own feet despite my dissatisfaction.  In the words of Scotty maybe a wee too much time spent on following up on the distress call.

Music : Good scores for the Enterprise breaking orbit and the landing party ultimately confronting the Capellan's.

Special Effects Bonus : Capella IV and the Enterprise breaking orbit are well done in the remaster.

Summary : A Cold War scenario placed in film here as it could have been the USA against the Soviets vying for mineral rights in a free part on Earth.  A strong episode for McCoy and Scotty.  Julie Newmar does well though she is denied using obvious sex appeal.  Did not like the Kirk in danger aspect and primitive alien cultures throwing wrinkles into things not my favorite plot device.  I give it a B.

• Cheers 1

RochesterRob

This week's review will be of the episode A Piece of the Action airing Wednesday April 6 on WHEC 10.5 Rochester Heroes & Icons.  In short a follow up to a long missing starship leads to a world which is patterned after 1920's Chicago gangster society.  For a short time Kirk gets slapped around by the gang leaders and Spock gets perplexed by the mores of that society.  In the end Kirk uses a heavy hand including using the transporter and ship's phasers to tell the society's leaders how things will be going into the planet's future.

Guest Stars : Anthony Caruso as Bela Oxmyx the chief gangster of the planet Sigma Iotia II.  A role that fits Caruso's hand like a glove as Caruso played many similar roles.  He knows when to be vicious when called for and to simply toy with his adversary when called for.  Also, in general is charming when not on the look out for his interests.  Caruso knew this episode is what they call in the business a romp and can show contriteness for a softer side to the character.   Vic Tayback as JoJo Kracko.  Best remembered from the film Alice Does Not Live Here Anymore and the followup television series Alice during the 1970's.  Hard and edgy done to perfection by Tayback.  His stock and trade throughout his career.  I also saw this episode early enough to rate Tayback on his on merit as his role as Mel Sharples was yet to happen.  I enjoyed the interaction between Tayback and James Doohan in the transporter room scene for their respective  characters.  Don't blink or you will miss John Harmon as Tepo a second tier "boss" in that planet's society.  Harmon previously appeared on Star Trek in the much praised City episode as the bum McCoy encounters after coming through the time portal.  In any event Harmon does his little bit as a sad sack boss who gets his day ruined by Kirk as Kirk reorganizes the planet's society.

Plot : Kirk beams down to investigate the fate of the USS Horizon.  OK, not the best approach but we know the show was invested in making Kirk the centerpiece for as many scenes as possible and "Piece" is no different.  But does he have to be knocked in the head or overtaken time and again here.  Spock was just as bad returning to the planet surface after his escape.  What does it say for ship's security that they can not handle such work?  "Piece" also is the clear signal that Kirk will try to skirt closely as much as possible the Prime Directive.  I don't know if it was warranted here as when the Horizon visited Sigma Iotia the Prime Directive was not in effect.  Given the number of planets visited prior to the non-interference directive would not more interference create more problems.  Would this not have been covered at the Academy for Kirk and his contemporaries?   Further, we know how dim the memory gets by criminals once the law is not seen in their territory as time passes.  Would not things fall back to what they were in a few months thus tasking  another ship's captain with the ship's phasers on stun (by now) routine.

Enterprise Crew : Scotty makes out the best here as he puts "the bag" on Kracko and implements the ship's phasers on stun to bring this episode to its conclusion.  While not a terrible outing here this episode is a strong episode to make the case that Shatner can be hammy which some tend to think happened all the time.  I had to wonder what Nimoy thought when he saw the script.  That Spock would simply fall in line with the theme of the episode.  About the only good segment for Spock here was critiquing Kirk driving the car.  If I were Nimoy I think I would have pushed for maybe a guest character to handle the chores of doing schtick here.  

Writing : The pacing was not great here with Kirk stumbling around until the episode was almost over.  Good parts were again the dialog between Scotty and Kracko and the Kirk take over near the climax.

Music : Loved the score where Tepo does his wah wah wah bit as he materializes into Oxmyx's office.

Special Effects Bonus : Sigma Iotia and the ship's phasers get cleaned up in the remaster.

Summary : The edicts were coming down from Gulf & Western in terms of being budget minded hence The Untouchables influence in terms of set and costuming.  Ideas were at a lull hence the slapstick nature here.  Evidence for the prosecution in terms of Shatner's work.  But all in all an episode that makes me want to take up the card game Fizbin.  Another example where the episode exceeds the sum of its parts.  Good guests.  I give it a B -.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

This week's review will be of the episode A Piece of the Action airing Wednesday April 6 on WHEC 10.5 Rochester Heroes & Icons.  In short a follow up to a long missing starship leads to a world which is patterned after 1920's Chicago gangster society.  For a short time Kirk gets slapped around by the gang leaders and Spock gets perplexed by the mores of that society.  In the end Kirk uses a heavy hand including using the transporter and ship's phasers to tell the society's leaders how things will be going into the planet's future.

Thanks for the review.

This is probably my least favorite (original series) episode.

I don't know why, it just is.

• Like 1

RochesterRob
2 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Thanks for the review.

Not a good Kirk episode and not well constructed period.  Caruso and Tayback save this along with Doohan.  Probably deepened any going rift between Shatner and Doohan as Doohan got the better if limited material here.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Not a good Kirk episode and not well constructed period.  Caruso and Tayback save this along with Doohan.  Probably deepened any going rift between Shatner and Doohan as Doohan got the better if limited material here.  

5fa97c8d-58b5-4c26-a8d1-372467cf36c4_tex

• Like 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
On 4/3/2022 at 3:08 PM, B-Man said:

Thanks for the review.

Really?  Have you never seen "The Apple" or "Spock's Brain?"

RochesterRob
14 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Really?  Have you never seen "The Apple" or "Spock's Brain?"

Both of those are at least watchable.  I'd even put "The Apple" at lower middle of the pack for TOS episodes.  The term Star Dreck was coined for episodes such as " And The Children Shall Lead" and "The Lights of Zetar."

Edited by RochesterRob

RochesterRob

This weeks' review will be of the episode The Omega Glory airing Wednesday April 13 on WHEC 10.5 Rochester Heroes & Icons.  In short a routine mission leads to the discovery of an apparently abandoned starship in orbit around a planet.  Upon investigation it is discovered that the ship's captain had transported to the planet surface and is obviously engaged in determining the outcome of a conflict among the inhabitants.  After the captain separates the landing party consisting of Kirk, Spock, and McCoy from contact with the Enterprise Spock uses telepathy to make an inhabitant activate a communicator which prompts help in terms of a rescue of the Enterprise landing party and apprehension of the rogue captain.

Guest Stars : Morgan Woodward as Captain Tracey.  Does well as a starship commander gone over the edge complete with blind paranoia and hysteria as the episode approaches its climax.  Woodward appeared in the early episode Dagger of the Mind and did well in his appearance there.  Woodward prompted his agent to appear on Star Trek shortly after its debut in 1966 as he wanted to break away from being typecast as a Western heavy.  Roy Jenson as Cloud William the leader of one of the factions on the planet Omega IV.  Not a whole lot for him to do as the character is implied as being intellectually limited.  But Jenson provides an excellent physical presence as when first seen his character is resisting being forced down onto a block to have his head chopped off.  Jenson did mostly stunt work or stand in work but occassionly had significant roles to flesh out.  He also appeared on Batman as a Riddler henchman who had to appear at Gotham City Police HQ as a doppleganger Batman.  

Plot : The Enterprise encounters the starship Exeter in orbit around Omega IV.  Apparently missions can overlap with two ships operating in the same sector of space and provides back up in case there is trouble.  Biological contamination seems far from routine as the Enterprise landing party seems completely unprepared for that possibility when boarding the Exeter.  The landing party seems to transport down to Omega IV more by chance than to prevent contamination but discovers the true nature of the problem only after talking with Captain Tracey.  The worst aspect of this episode is Tracey's ability to separate the Enterprise landing party from the Enterprise itself.  As described in other episodes prior to this Starfleet has an immense investment in the three and in particular Kirk and Spock.  It seems quite risky to allow no contact with such a landing party for many many hours considering this all starts off with an apparently dead crew of another starship.  

Enterprise Crew : Many may disagree with me but I thought this was a very good episode for Kirk and in turn Shatner.  I enjoyed the speech at the climax complete with the Preamble to the Constitution.  Good Spock episode for doing what a second in command must do in situations like this when he reminds KIrk that while in shock or not Tracey needs to be held accountable for his actions on Omega IV.  McCoy holds up his portion of the episode.

Writing : I'll address the obvious question that most have in this episode by stating that when asked DeForest Kelley has maintained that dialog was provided indicating that Omega IV was previously visited by Earth vessels but not recent to the Enterprise's visit.  It has been pointed out time and again that Roddenberry had a heavy finger in editing and favored dramatic moments over material that advanced the story.  20-30 hours of material are shot to get 50 minutes of airable material so it is very possible the previous Earth ship visit mention wound up on the editing room floor.   In terms of dialog distribution and pacing I thought the writing was fairly good.

Music : Scores were used to good effect especially the piece which played while KIrk gave the Pledge of Allegiance and looked at the American flag.

Special Effects Bonus :  Though most likely more realistic I did not like the at a distance shots of the Exeter and Omega IV.  Better was the closeup of the Enterprise along side the Exeter which was new Material as opposed to a stock shot of the Enterprise in orbit implied as the Exeter here.

Summary : Good supporting players and a good Kirk/Shatner episode.  Interaction with another Constitution class ship which gives some depth to the often mentioned but seldom seen Starfleet.  For me a good course in American style civics.  Kelley's explanation is good enough for me and by that time we had seen enough Earth visited worlds that maybe Roddenberry figured the time needed for yet again another mention of this was better used elsewhere.  The landing party was held in peril for too long.  I know I give out B -'s like candy but it fits here for at least me.  Tell me what you think.

Edited by RochesterRob
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Star Trek (1966)
Hello. Rob has given me the privilege of "guest reviewing" this week's Star trek episode The Paradise Syndrome airing Wednesday April 20th on WHEC 10.5 Rochester Heroes & Icons.The short and sweet summary is that Kirk, Spock and McCoy beam down to a planet that is in the path on an oncoming meteor. They find an idyllic place that is very similar to Earth and whose population is virtually identical to North American Natives. Their visit is meant to be a short one since their mission is to deflect the meteor, still several months away. Before they can return to the ship, Kirk disappears and loses his memory in an accident, forcing Spock to take command of the Enterprise and to leave him behind. On the planet, Kirk is treated like a god when they see him emerge from an obelisk that is actually a deflector beam (which no one remembers how to use, however). When the Enterprise fails to deflect the meteor, they return to the planet only hours before the annihilating meteor's arrival.

Guest Stars : There are three main guest stars, none of which went on to any prominence, but all were busy working on television in the 60's.  Sabrina Scharf as the love interest Miramanee. She does a good job, though not much is asked of her. She was an ex-Playboy Bunny who only acted for 10 years in pretty girl roles.  Rudy Solari as Salish the jealous medicine man does a fine job of overacting (of course, no match for Shatner) and as the noble Native American chief is veteran actor Richard Hale, given typical "Indian" lines of the times.

Plot : While the story is basic and well done, I love how you have to suspend belief a few times as the crew does, well, stupid things. The Enterprise has to save a planet from an oncoming asteroid about three months away, but for some reason they have to leave in the next 30 minutes to reach the proper rendezvous point for diverting the oncoming rock.

So naturally, they beam down to the planet first (?) There the see the tribe of natives and also discover an ancient obelisk covered in symbols.  Kirk falls thru a trap door and is blasted by a beam and loses his memory.

Here it turns into two stories; Spock and the crew leave to stop the impending asteroid and Kirk emerges from the structure, is declared a "God" and falls in love with the native girl.  The Enterprise fails to stop the asteroid and burns out it's warp drive in the process, so they have to slowly follow behind, giving Kirk the months he needs to relax and live a peaceful life that he can't have as a starship captain.  As we head towards the climax, we find out that Miramanee is pregnant with Kirk's child and after a fight with Salish, Kirk, known as Kir-ok, here falls out of favor with the tribe and is stoned. Miramanee is fatally injured. Spock and Bones arrive, the obelisk sends out a power beam that pushes the rock out of the planet's path, she dies and Kirk has to resume his former life.

Enterprise crew : Good episode for all. Spock has to take command and is haunted when his logical decisions don't work out. Bones get to lecture everyone and Scotty gets to lament over his poor engines.  Kirk, in particular, has a great episode, showing his "non-captain" side and has a particular powerful scene with his "wife" as she lay dying.

Writing : I'm no expert, but it seemed very good. There were no horrible lines and even the plot holes were handled well enough.

Music : Very strong entry here. The scenes showing the beautiful scenery were enhanced greatly by the music.

Special Effects : As with most of the original series, the effects look dated now, but they work well enough.

This is the only episode where we see the Enterprise's gold deflector beam. This is the last Star Trek that was shot on locations.

Summary : One of the best episodes of season three. Solid performances by all the cast. Shatner gets to have a real love interest, and I liked that they addressed Kirk's emotional state and stress level because in fact, a man with such exceptionally intense responsibilities might indeed long to get away from it all.

I give it a B+

Added trivia: The site where they beam down and discover the obelisk is the exact spot where Opie threw the rock in the lake at the beginning of the Andy Griffith Show.

paradise.jpg

Thanks everyone.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Nouseforaname
1 minute ago, devnull said:

Sad, but true

Picard is garbage.  Worse than Discovery, which is also garbage

The only good thing about new trek being garbage is more content from these guys:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Meazza said:

The only good thing about new trek being garbage is more content from these guys:

And that's a review of Picard Season 1.  If Season 1 was garbage, Season 2 somebody lit the garbage on fire

Tho I do disagree with the reviewers criticism of the girl fight.  That fight between Seven of Nine and the Romulan chick was kinda giggity