Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

News and Opinions

Ann

A woman gets arrested for removing squatters out of her $1,000,000 house in Queens, NY.

Adel Andaloro inherited her family's home in Flushing, Queens after her parents passed away and was in the process of selling it when she noticed that someone illegally moved in. 

After she changed the lock the squatters came back and the police arrested her according to the NY landlord-tenant law. 

In New York, it's against the law to turn off the utilities, change the locks, and remove the belongings of someone who claims to be a tenant.

Source : ABC7

• Angry 3
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, Ann said:

A woman gets arrested for removing squatters out of her $1,000,000 house in Queens, NY.

Adel Andaloro inherited her family's home in Flushing, Queens after her parents passed away and was in the process of selling it when she noticed that someone illegally moved in. 

After she changed the lock the squatters came back and the police arrested her according to the NY landlord-tenant law. 

In New York, it's against the law to turn off the utilities, change the locks, and remove the belongings of someone who claims to be a tenant.

Wondering aloud if she votes Democrat? The comments to it are pretty good

Edited by Cinga

Crap Throwing Clavin
10 hours ago, Ann said:

"In New York, it's against the law to turn off the utilities, change the locks, and remove the belongings of someone who claims to be a tenant."

Come again?  They can just "claim" to be a tenant, and property rights are no longer a thing?  

Texas schools fund pulls $8.5 billion from BlackRock over ESG investing

A Texas school fund told BlackRock (BLK.N), opens new tab on Tuesday it was terminating its contract to manage around $8.5 billion of state money, accusing the investment giant of boycotting fossil fuel energy producers, who represent a large part of the state's industry.

BlackRock has denied it is engaged in any boycott, saying the money pulled is a tiny sliver of the $10 trillion in assets that it manages.

</snip>

• Like 1

Billsandhorns
16 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

"In New York, it's against the law to turn off the utilities, change the locks, and remove the belongings of someone who claims to be a tenant."

Come again?  They can just "claim" to be a tenant, and property rights are no longer a thing?  

In N.Y. it would appear that you can and not so much

• Like 2

Former Milwaukee election official found guilty in election fraud trial

A jury found former Milwaukee election official Kimberly Zapata guilty on all four counts Wednesday after a three-day trial involving election fraud.

She faced three misdemeanors for election fraud and a felony charge of misconduct in public office. 

The 47-year-old woman admitted to illegally requesting absentee ballots for non-existent military voters back in October of 2022, when she served as deputy director of the Milwaukee Election Commission.

</snip>

The Queens squatter who went viral after the homeowner got arrested is allegedly subletting the home to sub-squatters.

According to one of these ‘sub-squatters’ he was charged $1500 a month to live in the basement. “I paid $3,500 to the landlord Jay.”

Jay was the ‘Head Squatter’ who allegedly served as the Squatting Landlord.

The sub-squatter, Kevin Ballasty, says he even paid money to a “broker.”

$3,500 to Jay and $1,000 to the broker. “There’s nothing in my right mind that could lead me to believe there was going to be a problem like this.”

“We’re just waiting for the lawyer. That’s pretty much it. Like, I was scammed into living there. You know, I’m looking to leave myself.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
8 minutes ago, Ann said:

The Queens squatter who went viral after the homeowner got arrested is allegedly subletting the home to sub-squatters.

According to one of these ‘sub-squatters’ he was charged $1500 a month to live in the basement. “I paid $3,500 to the landlord Jay.”

Jay was the ‘Head Squatter’ who allegedly served as the Squatting Landlord.

The sub-squatter, Kevin Ballasty, says he even paid money to a “broker.”

$3,500 to Jay and $1,000 to the broker. “There’s nothing in my right mind that could lead me to believe there was going to be a problem like this.”

“We’re just waiting for the lawyer. That’s pretty much it. Like, I was scammed into living there. You know, I’m looking to leave myself.”

Bullshit.

I mean...maybe it's not bullshit.  Probably not.  But this is so completely outlandish I can't even begin to wrap my mind around how it could possibly be allowed, and my brain can't say anything but "bullshit".  :facepalm: :wacko:

Edited by Crap Throwing Clavin
  • Like 1

Uncle Joe
11 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Bullshit.

I mean...maybe it's not bullshit.  Probably not.  But this is so completely outlandish I can't even begin to wrap my mind around how it could possibly be allowed, and my brain can't say anything but "bullshit".  :facepalm: :wacko:

I still have a hard time with that being a million dollar home.

🤯 

• Like 2

RochesterRob
15 hours ago, Uncle Joe said:

I still have a hard time with that being a million dollar home.

🤯

NYC market has been crazy for many decades now.  30,000 dollar annual salary in WNY is like 80,000 dollars or more there.  There was just an All In The Family episode on from 1971 where the Bunker's Queens home was valued around 20,000 dollars while most homes in WNY at the same time were 7,500 dollars or less.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Bullshit.

A squatter is not a Tenant.

However, the Owner needs to provide notice to the squatter and then start a proceeding to evict the squatter.

NY Real Property Actions and Proceedings Law, Section 713.

It seems outrageous, but in NYC it is probably better this way.

Alternatively, like protesters who glue themselves to things, this is a good situation for the "Now Youse Can't Leave" treatment.

• Like 1

CarpetCrawler
2 hours ago, snafu said:

However, the Owner needs to provide notice to the squatter and then start a proceeding to evict the squatter.

Alternatively, like protesters who glue themselves to things, this is a good situation for the "Now Youse Can't Leave" treatment.

In NYC yesterday, a property owner was arrested and taken to jail for attempting to change the locks of his own property so the squatters couldn't get back in.

Talk about an upside-down world.

• Like 1

4merper4mer
3 hours ago, snafu said:

Does yelling “Hey @$$hole” then bashing someone to a pulp with a Louisville Slugger and kicking them to the curb count as “providing notice then starting a proceeding”?

Just now, 4merper4mer said:

Does yelling “Hey @$$hole” then bashing someone to a pulp with a Louisville Slugger and kicking them to the curb count as “providing notice then starting a proceeding”?

I think if you write out the notice on the bat with a sharpie in 16 point double spaced font you’d be okay.

Uncle Joe
1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

1 hour ago, snafu said:

I think if you write out the notice on the bat with a sharpie in 16 point double spaced font you’d be okay.

Only on the 12th.