Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

WEEKLY BIBLE STUDY

Cinga

Nov 6

They say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and that may very well be true in many cases. I will admit to many times being caught just staring at my wife and when she asked me what I was looking at, my response was always “the most beautiful woman in the world”. And of course, to me, she certainly was as I’m sure most others might say of their own spouse. However it is also quite possible none of you would find my wife as stunning in her later years as I do.

But here we discuss Abram wife Sarai who at this time is at least 65 years old herself, and it seems we are still going through the slow loss of longevity we discussed after the Flood. I’m also going to point out we are only around 20 generations from Creation and of course the genetic perfection in the first man and woman Adam and Eve. So I am going to argue that it stands to reason that women held their youthful beauty longer, and men maintained their masculinity longer this early after Creation.

My comments are in italics

Abram in Egypt

10 Now there was a famine in the land, and Abram went down to Egypt to live there for a while because the famine was severe. – The Nile valley would have been fertile even in the worst of times but I have also made the argument, and we will discuss more, that the Middle East as a whole was not the desert we think of today.

11 As he was about to enter Egypt, he said to his wife Sarai, “I know what a beautiful woman you are. – I mentioned the beauty above, but another aspect of this I want you to take in is that God had told Abram to leave his father lands, and now we are seeing a moment that Abram is apparently not trusting God to see them through.

12 When the Egyptians see you, they will say, ‘This is his wife.’ Then they will kill me but will let you live. – Abram was afraid they would kill him to take his wife

13 Say you are my sister, so that I will be treated well for your sake and my life will be spared because of you.”As her husband, Abram was afraid of being killed so they could take her, but as a brother he thought they might spare him to find favor with her.

14 When Abram came to Egypt, the Egyptians saw that Sarai was a very beautiful woman. 15 And when Pharaoh’s officials saw her, they praised her to Pharaoh, and she was taken into his palace. – Realize here for a moment that at 65 how beautiful she must have been, not only, and rightfully so, to Abram, but to everyone who apparently saw her. Also see there is no such attention to anyone else in Abrams entourage as there were many that let his father with them.

16 He treated Abram well for her sake, and Abram acquired sheep and cattle, male and female donkeys, male and female servants, and camels. – Once again God is growing Abram group of family and friends even though it appears he was unsure of God ability to pull him through their stay in Egypt.

17 But the Lord inflicted serious diseases on Pharaoh and his household because of Abram’s wife Sarai. – Does this sound familiar? As it should since a few generations later God would once again save His people, next time from bondage in Egypt.

18 So Pharaoh summoned Abram. “What have you done to me?” he said. “Why didn’t you tell me she was your wife? 19 Why did you say, ‘She is my sister,’ so that I took her to be my wife?The use of the word took in this instance is to take or snatch away and has no sexual connotation. It appears Pharoah simply wanted what we call today, a trophy wife

Now then, here is your wife. Take her and go!” 20 Then Pharaoh gave orders about Abram to his men, and they sent him on his way, with his wife and everything he had.

So, to end this week, Pharoah sends Abram on his way not only with what he had brought with him, but also with what he had accumulated while there. This is the beginning of what are going to be learning trials for Abram, as God works on Him to become the man who will Father His Nation of Israel. Just as in our own lives, God works on us to become the person we can be and prepare us for the trials we will face.

May you and yours have a Blessed week!

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

An Election Day Prayer:

“If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land”.

2 Chronicles 7:14 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 11/7/2022 at 10:21 PM, B-Man said:

An Election Day Prayer:

“If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land”.

2 Chronicles 7:14 

It's almost impossible to pick a favorite Bible verse, but this one would be right up there on a list of many!

• Like 1

I woke up on Tuesday morning to "You will keep him in perfect peace, Whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you" Isaiah 26:3

Even in this confusing time we are in if your mind is not in peace then you are letting your mind stay in the wrong place. Take a few days, fast and pray and make sure it is in HIM!! Blessings! Your Brother!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nov 20

We’ve reached a crossroads in America that will filter across the world. For decades the nation has pushed God further away as we the evil one a foothold in our nation and our government. During this time Christians have hide themselves in the closet while being told to hide their Faith as evolution took the place of Creation as we watched and even accepted.  Because of that, people have been falling away from the lessons of the fall, rescue, and redemption because the teaching were too hard, and we’ve seen the growth of the mega-churches, many of which teach feel-good faith instead. But we have seen an awakening among the Faithful, the remnant that God kept for Himself who believed His Word even against the repeated attempts to corrupt and compromise it. isHi

60 On hearing it, many of his disciples said, “This is a hard teaching. Who can accept it?”Similar to attacks against the Bible now that claim the Laws of Scripture as too strict and outdated. But here we have also learned that God would save only those Jesus had chosen and that accepting who He was is all that was required, no other OT atonement for sin was needed which went against Levitical teaching of the time.

61 Aware that his disciples were grumbling about this, Jesus said to them, “Does this offend you? – So often as we read the Word, things pop right up off the pages to give us meaning to things we see in our current environment. Jesus is very aware of the “woke” movement of our time. The original is skandalizei which means give offense or cause to stumble

62 Then what if you see the Son of Man ascend to where he was before! – How would you react to this question? We know of His ascension into Heaven from Luke 24 and Acts 1, but the disciples wouldn’t know this yet. Talk about a tough lesson to follow!

63 The Spirit gives life; the flesh counts for nothing. The words I have spoken to you—they are full of the Spirit and life. 64 Yet there are some of you who do not believe.” For Jesus had known from the beginning which of them did not believe and who would betray him. 65 He went on to say, “This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless the Father has enabled them.”And He enables us through our trust in His Son.

66 From this time many of his disciples turned back and no longer followed him. – This is what I alluded to above how when the teaching of sound, true Biblical doctrine is taught, some fall away thinking it is too hard to follow

67 “You do not want to leave too, do you?” Jesus asked the Twelve.As we go through Scripture, we will see that God always saves a remnant for Himself, to carry on with the Word for the rest of the world

68 Simon Peter answered him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. 69 We have come to believe and to know that you are the Holy One of God.”

70 Then Jesus replied, “Have I not chosen you, the Twelve? Yet one of you is a devil!” 71 (He meant Judas, the son of Simon Iscariot, who, though one of the Twelve, was later to betray him.)

As we look through this lesson, we see that it reaches out to us today in many of the things we currently experience. And the question becomes, are we going to look at the Word of God as a Blessing? Or as something too hard for us to follow? Roe v Wade is a step, parents becoming involved in schooling of their children again is another. I think too often we have taken the secular instruction of Jesus to turn the other cheek instead of standing firm in our Faith.

So I will pray that you and yours have a Blessed week, and that you stand firm in your Faith for the Lord and His Word!

• Cheers 2

NOV 27

Genesis 13 is a short chapter and doesn’t really leave a lot to interpretation as I think you would find all versions in pretty much agreement. However, as we go through there are parts I want to take a moment and comment on for reflection. So far we have followed Abram from Ur to Haran where he felt the calling of the Lord, and left his father for Bethel, then later Egypt. For perspective Ur is just south of the meeting or the Tigris and Euphrates rivers, and Haran is at the Euphrates headwaters, Bethel is in Canaan or what we know as the modern-day Israel. We have just left Egypt and his and Lot’s holdings had multiplied while there so their once small group of travelers was gotten quite large now.

So Abram went up from Egypt to the Negev, with his wife and everything he had, and Lot went with him. Abram had become very wealthy in livestock and in silver and gold.

From the Negev he went from place to place until he came to Bethel, to the place between Bethel and Ai where his tent had been earlier and where he had first built an altar. There Abram called on the name of the Lord.As you see, Abram had built an altar here before, and it’s safe to assume it is still here and Abram uses it once again.

Now Lot, who was moving about with Abram, also had flocks and herds and tents. But the land could not support them while they stayed together, for their possessions were so great that they were not able to stay together. And quarreling arose between Abram’s herders and Lot’s. The Canaanites and Perizzites were also living in the land at that time. – Their main sustenance came from the herds they kept and unfortunately, the larger the herd to quicker it could overgraze the area they were camped in, forcing them to move once again for new grazing grounds.

So Abram said to Lot, “Let’s not have any quarreling between you and me, or between your herders and mine, for we are close relatives. Is not the whole land before you? Let’s part company. If you go to the left, I’ll go to the right; if you go to the right, I’ll go to the left.”

10 Lot looked around and saw that the whole plain of the Jordan toward Zoar was well watered, like the garden of the Lord, like the land of Egypt. (This was before the Lord destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah.) 11 So Lot chose for himself the whole plain of the Jordan and set out toward the east. The two men parted company: - I want you to understand the significance of this as Lot chooses the fertile valley just south of what is now the Dead Sea. In the description the Lord gives us in this account, it is like the garden of the Lord which is what we read of in the beginning, Garden of Eden. We’ve discussed before that the Middle East, particularly Israel has not always been the desert we think of today. And I assure you, he wasn’t leaving Abram with the worst part of the separation either.

12 Abram lived in the land of Canaan, while Lot lived among the cities of the plain and pitched his tents near Sodom. 13 Now the people of Sodom were wicked and were sinning greatly against the Lord.Our first introduction to Sodom and it is already known for it’s wicked ways

14 The Lord said to Abram after Lot had parted from him, “Look around from where you are, to the north and south, to the east and west. 15 All the land that you see I will give to you and your offspring forever. 16 I will make your offspring like the dust of the earth, so that if anyone could count the dust, then your offspring could be counted. 17 Go, walk through the length and breadth of the land, for I am giving it to you.”And of course He is referring to the land of Israel, the Promised Land from this moment

18 So Abram went to live near the great trees of Mamre at Hebron, where he pitched his tents. There he built an altar to the Lord.

As we finish, we see once again Abram showing his dedication to God as he builds an altar to the Lord. When we think of Hebron today it is a city in the Palestinian occupied West Bank. But also see referred to in this area the “great trees” of the time so once again documenting the fertility of the land of Israel.

May you and yours have a Blessed week!

Edited by Cinga
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

• 4 weeks later...

As you can see lately, I've decided to take a bit of a break from writing these but wanted to post this week the Wonderful Story of God With Us, and the Birth of our Savior. In the meantime,  I'm tossing other ideas for weeklies around in my head and would appreciate some feedback and ideas. Do you want to keep the same format we've had, or would you rather a Biblical view of current topics? I'm open to any and all ideas!

And of course, I want to wish you and yours a Very Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year!

The Birth of Jesus

In those days Caesar Augustus issued a decree that a census should be taken of the entire Roman world. (This was the first census that took place while Quirinius was governor of Syria.) And everyone went to their own town to register.

So Joseph also went up from the town of Nazareth in Galilee to Judea, to Bethlehem the town of David, because he belonged to the house and line of David. He went there to register with Mary, who was pledged to be married to him and was expecting a child. While they were there, the time came for the baby to be born, and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son. She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger, because there was no guest room available for them.

And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. 10 But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. 11 Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord. 12 This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.”

13 Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying,

14 “Glory to God in the highest heaven,
    and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests.”

15 When the angels had left them and gone into heaven, the shepherds said to one another, “Let’s go to Bethlehem and see this thing that has happened, which the Lord has told us about.”

16 So they hurried off and found Mary and Joseph, and the baby, who was lying in the manger. 17 When they had seen him, they spread the word concerning what had been told them about this child, 18 and all who heard it were amazed at what the shepherds said to them. 19 But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart. 20 The shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all the things they had heard and seen, which were just as they had been told.

21 On the eighth day, when it was time to circumcise the child, he was named Jesus, the name the angel had given him before he was conceived.

Jesus Presented in the Temple

22 When the time came for the purification rites required by the Law of Moses, Joseph and Mary took him to Jerusalem to present him to the Lord 23 (as it is written in the Law of the Lord, “Every firstborn male is to be consecrated to the Lord”), 24 and to offer a sacrifice in keeping with what is said in the Law of the Lord: “a pair of doves or two young pigeons.”

25 Now there was a man in Jerusalem called Simeon, who was righteous and devout. He was waiting for the consolation of Israel, and the Holy Spirit was on him. 26 It had been revealed to him by the Holy Spirit that he would not die before he had seen the Lord’s Messiah. 27 Moved by the Spirit, he went into the temple courts. When the parents brought in the child Jesus to do for him what the custom of the Law required, 28 Simeon took him in his arms and praised God, saying:

29 “Sovereign Lord, as you have promised,
    you may now dismiss your servant in peace.
30 For my eyes have seen your salvation,
31     which you have prepared in the sight of all nations:
32 a light for revelation to the Gentiles,
    and the glory of your people Israel.”

33 The child’s father and mother marveled at what was said about him. 34 Then Simeon blessed them and said to Mary, his mother: “This child is destined to cause the falling and rising of many in Israel, and to be a sign that will be spoken against, 35 so that the thoughts of many hearts will be revealed. And a sword will pierce your own soul too.”

36 There was also a prophet, Anna, the daughter of Penuel, of the tribe of Asher. She was very old; she had lived with her husband seven years after her marriage, 37 and then was a widow until she was eighty-four. She never left the temple but worshiped night and day, fasting and praying. 38 Coming up to them at that very moment, she gave thanks to God and spoke about the child to all who were looking forward to the redemption of Jerusalem.

39 When Joseph and Mary had done everything required by the Law of the Lord, they returned to Galilee to their own town of Nazareth. 40 And the child grew and became strong; he was filled with wisdom, and the grace of God was on him.

• Love 2

The blessings of a new year, and a new start: Sunday reflection

By ED MORRISSEY 

jordaens-adoration-jesus-730x0.jpg

This morning’s Gospel reading is Luke 2:16–21:

The shepherds went in haste to Bethlehem and found Mary and Joseph, and the infant lying in the manger. When they saw this, they made known the message that had been told them about this child. All who heard it were amazed by what had been told them by the shepherds. And Mary kept all these things, reflecting on them in her heart. Then the shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all they had heard and seen, just as it had been told to them.

https://hotair.com/ed-morrissey/2023/01/01/the-blessings-of-a-new-year-and-a-new-start-sunday-reflection-n520913

A happy and blessed New Year to all 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

So Thought I would share this today in light of #3. Hope it pastes well. I shared here a while ago that I have seen 333 for quite a while. Tonight when I saw when the last time we returned a kickoff for a TD it didn't dawn on me that it was 3years and 3 months ago. God does speak to us through numbers. For example Tuesday (the 3rd) night when I was having my heart attack I got two texts from two people in my life that both have  spiritually made me who I am. They both came at 9:11pm. Immediately God reminded me of Psalms 91:1 and that says He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High shall abide under the shadow of His wings. Hmmmm, seems God is taking this in a different direction than I planned so I will go with it. My plan was to speak about the number 3 but instead to talk about his Wings. 

Where are you dwelling. What controls our time? Is our focus to be not only alone with God but do we steal away to a secret place with Him. It isn't our place but His. The onus is not on making a perfect place for Him to meet us but to go to the secret place of the Most High  where He is! WOW That He would invite us a fallible man into not just a place but HIS SECRET place. We often think if I can get good enough  then I can go to God. It isnt about my perfection but the covering of His secret place. Here I will post the entire chapter and leave it here for you to dwell on it. All I know is this Chapter got me through it all at 9:11 on 1-3. Blessings!

91 He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High
Shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
2 I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress;
My God, in Him I will trust.”

3 Surely He shall deliver you from the snare of the [a]fowler
And from the perilous pestilence.
4 He shall cover you with His feathers,
And under His wings you shall take refuge;
His truth shall be your shield and [b]buckler.
5 You shall not be afraid of the terror by night,
Nor of the arrow that flies by day,
6 Nor of the pestilence that walks in darkness,
Nor of the destruction that lays waste at noonday.

7 A thousand may fall at your side,
And ten thousand at your right hand;
But it shall not come near you.
8 Only with your eyes shall you look,
And see the reward of the wicked.

9 Because you have made the Lord, who is my refuge,
Even the Most High, your dwelling place,
10 No evil shall befall you,
Nor shall any plague come near your dwelling;
11 For He shall give His angels charge over you,
To keep you in all your ways.
12 In their hands they shall [c]bear you up,
Lest you [d]dash your foot against a stone.
13 You shall tread upon the lion and the cobra,
The young lion and the serpent you shall trample underfoot.

14 “Because he has set his love upon Me, therefore I will deliver him;
I will [e]set him on high, because he has known My name.
15 He shall call upon Me, and I will answer him;
I will be with him in trouble;
I will deliver him and honor him.
16 With [f]long life I will satisfy him,
And show him My salvation.”

• Love 3

• 2 weeks later...

https://hotair.com/ed-morrissey/2023/01/22/dollars-to-donuts-darkness-to-light-and-choice-sunday-reflection-n525288

jesus-peter-andrew-730x0.jpg

Dollars to donuts, darkness to light, and choice: Sunday reflection

FTA:

To embrace the Light, we must leave that rebellious nature behind. We have to accept the lordship of Jesus and live our lives for Him, while loving our neighbors and making the responsible choices that respond to His will rather than our own.

That path is not easy — and in fact, it’s so impossibly hard that Jesus promises to meet us along the way and provide His grace to get us home. The more sinful baggage we can cast aside from our concupiscence, our addictions, and our willfulness, the easier that path becomes.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Fansince88 said:

Ahhh, saw this in concert. Larry Norman cover by them. 

Wow, I would love to have seen DC Talk live, I'm sure the Spirit was in full flight!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cinga said:

Wow, I would love to have seen DC Talk live, I'm sure the Spirit was in full flight!

Yup. Saw them the first time I believe in 88. They had a small up and coming group touring with them from Queensland Austrailia with lead singer Peter Furler called Newsboys. We went to there first concert in the USA and it was awesome! Actually better than DC Talk. It was in the War Memorial in Syracuse.

Edited by Fansince88
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, Fansince88 said:

Yup. Saw them the first time I believe in 88. They had a small up and coming group touring with them from Queensland Austrailia with lead singer Peter Furler called Newsboys. We went to there first concert in the USA and it was awesome! Actually better than DC Talk. It was in the War Memorial in Syracuse.

Ha! And now Michael Tait is with the Newsboys. One of my favorite Christian music songs is "He Reigns" and loved their cameos in the "God is not Dead" movies

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The two hard, incontrovertible facts of faith: Sunday reflection

jesus-satan-desert-730x0.jpg

This morning’s Gospel reading is Matthew 4:1–11:

At that time Jesus was led by the Spirit into the desert to be tempted by the devil. He fasted for forty days and forty nights, and afterwards he was hungry. The tempter approached and said to him, “If you are the Son of God, command that these stones become loaves of bread.” He said in reply, “It is written:One does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes forth from the mouth of God.

Then the devil took him to the holy city, and made him stand on the parapet of the temple, and said to him, “If you are the Son of God, throw yourself down. For it is written: He will command his angels concerning you and with their hands they will support you, lest you dash your foot against a stone.” Jesus answered him, “Again it is written, You shall not put the Lord, your God, to the test. Then the devil took him up to a very high mountain, and showed him all the kingdoms of the world in their magnificence, and he said to him, “All these I shall give to you, if you will prostrate yourself and worship me.” At this, Jesus said to him, “Get away, Satan! It is written: The Lord, your God, shall you worship and him alone shall you serve.

Then the devil left him and, behold, angels came and ministered to him.

Welcome to Lent, the season in which we make sacrifices in order to focus more on our spiritual life. People take different approaches to choosing what to give up for the next forty days. Some choose to give up bad habits with the hope of eliminating them, a kind of forced repentance. Others choose to give up pleasures which are perfectly benign in moderation — chocolate, for instance — as a form of suffering and poverty during this season. And some don’t choose to give up anything but instead choose to take more positive actions for sacrifice, such as prayer, almsgiving, and physical service to their communities.

All of these approaches have their virtues, and they also have their limits. They don’t necessarily take us out of our regular lives, nor should we expect them to do so. Only a select few are called to martyrdom, soft or otherwise, and we do not make that choice solely in a Lenten context. Most of us are called to vocation in place — living our “regular” lives but as children of God, fully committed to His Word.

In today’s reading, Jesus gives us a model for true and complete sacrifice as we consider our choices.

More at the link: https://hotair.com/ed-morrissey/2023/02/26/the-two-hard-incontrovertible-facts-of-faith-sunday-reflection-n533190

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• 1 month later...

A little late,  sorry.

This morning’s Gospel reading at the procession is Matthew 21:1–11:

When Jesus and the disciples drew near Jerusalem and came to Bethphage on the Mount of Olives, Jesus sent two disciples, saying to them, “Go into the village opposite you, and immediately you will find an ass tethered, and a colt with her. Untie them and bring them here to me. And if anyone should say anything to you, reply, ‘The master has need of them.’ Then he will send them at once.” This happened so that what had been spoken through the prophet might be fulfilled: Say to daughter Zion, “Behold, your king comes to you, meek and riding on an ass, and on a colt, the foal of a beast of burden.” The disciples went and did as Jesus had ordered them. They brought the ass and the colt and laid their cloaks over them, and he sat upon them. The very large crowd spread their cloaks on the road, while others cut branches from the trees and strewed them on the road. The crowds preceding him and those following kept crying out and saying: “Hosanna to the Son of David; blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord; hosanna in the highest.” And when he entered Jerusalem the whole city was shaken and asked, “Who is this?” And the crowds replied, “This is Jesus the prophet, from Nazareth in Galilee.”

The Lord wanted the Israelites to become a nation of priests and prophets that would spread His word to all nations, with Jerusalem a city of light through devotion to Him that it would bring the entire world to its footstep to learn and love God.

The Old Testament records what actually transpired. The Israelites corrupted themselves for worldly power for their own ends. They abandoned the Lord, and then fell victim to worldly power and destruction. Despite repeated opportunities to repent, the Israelites and Judeans continued to abandon the Lord and seek power through idolatry and sin.

It’s easy to sit in judgment of the people of Jerusalem and the old kingdoms in retrospect, of course. But do we not do something very similar ourselves? After all, we all accept Christ as our Lord and Savior, both at the sacraments and then every Mass. And yet, when it comes time to decide whether to remain obedient to our Lord and Savior or follow our own desires and impulses, we reject Christ and go our own way, trusting in materiality to achieve what only the Lord can provide.

It’s easy to welcome Jesus into our lives; it becomes much more difficult to allow Him to be our Lord and follow Him where He leads us. We remain stubbornly attached to sin, and not just in the form of specific sins but of the basis of all sin: rejection of His authority and seeking to compete with God Himself. That was the sin of Adam and Eve; it was the sin of the Israelite nations; and we see that in the people of Jerusalem in today’s Passion, as they reject the true Messiah because Jesus doesn’t offer them material power.

More at the link: https://hotair.com/ed-morrissey/2023/04/02/revere-to-revile-and-the-tough-path-back-palm-sunday-reflection-n540950

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1