Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

WEEKLY BIBLE STUDY

Cinga

11 hours ago, Fansince88 said:

Would love prayers from all. Back in the emergency room with heart palpitations. 

I can say now that @Fansince88 is still in the ER this morning where they are  monitoring him.

• Cheers 2
  • Love 2

6 hours ago, Cinga said:

I can say now that @Fansince88 is still in the ER this morning where they are  monitoring him.

Going to spend the night. BP is good. Pulse keeps going back and forth between 150 and 60. They are trying to figure that out.

• Cheers 2

I thought number one would surely be me
I thought I could be what I wanted to be
I thought I could build on life's sinking sand
But now I can't even walk without you holding my hand

I thought I could do a lot on my own
I thought I could make it all day long
I thought of myself as a mighty big man
But Lord I can't even walk without you holding my hand

Oh Lord, I can't even walk without you holding my hand
The mountains too high and the valleys too wide
Down on my knees that's where I learned to stand
Oh Lord, I can't even walk without you holding my hand

• Like 1

This was one of the verses God spoke to me out of today.

And through the hands of the apostles many signs and wonders were done among the people. And they were all with one accord in Solomon’s Porch. Yet none of the rest dared join them, but the people esteemed them highly.

Acts 5:12‭-‬13 NKJV

The part, yet none of the rest dared join them but the people esteemed them highly. Look at that! They were going through persecution already and some of them didnt dare put themselves out there. Yet!!!! They were still highly esteemed.  Let us all esteem each other based on the faith they are walking in. Even if that faith has them scared. 

That is where mine was this weekend. Yet God surrounded me with people that help bring me through because of where they were! Perhaps they were in that place because they were not going through it. Perhaps because they have been taken through much worse and seen God prevail on their behalf. That all said I say, Bless God.

• Cheers 4

This morning’s Gospel reading is Matthew 16:21–27:

Jesus began to show his disciples that he must go to Jerusalem and suffer greatly from the elders, the chief priests, and the scribes, and be killed and on the third day be raised. Then Peter took Jesus aside and began to rebuke him, “God forbid, Lord! No such thing shall ever happen to you.” He turned and said to Peter, “Get behind me, Satan! You are an obstacle to me. You are thinking not as God does, but as human beings do.”

Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Whoever wishes to come after me must deny himself, take up his cross, and follow me. For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. What profit would there be for one to gain the whole world and forfeit his life? Or what can one give in exchange for his life? For the Son of Man will come with his angels in his Father’s glory, and then he will repay all according to his conduct.”

Is there a difference between belief and faith? When we’re younger, maybe not, because children put their whole selves into what they believe. Their belief and faith are inseparable, whether on important issues or frivolous. As Jesus Himself said, we should believe as children do, with no separation between belief and faith.

Unfortunately, the rest of us struggle with the difference, as Jesus tried to warn in that same passage. We believe, because belief is an intellectual choice, a decision to adopt a certain set of values. We can profess belief in God, belief in an ideology, belief on a set of philosophical or social mores. As an intellectual choice, belief comes mainly through our own will, and because of that, belief is subject to change or adaptation.

But do we have faith? Faith goes beyond the intellect — it calls to something deeper, a trust that causes us to set aside our own will for the sake of another’s. True faith would cause us to defy our own intellect and will when they come into conflict with the will and plan of that Other. (This is why we must be very careful about what we choose to believe, let alone in what we choose to place our faith.)

Today’s readings give us clear examples of the difference between belief and faith. In our Gospel reading, Peter fails this test, and ironically just a couple of verses after Jesus declares that Peter will lead the Church. When Peter proclaims that Jesus is the Son of God and the Messiah, what does Jesus first say? He proclaims Peter as a willing instrument of the Father, a vessel of true faith rather than reason or belief:

More at the link: https://hotair.com/ed-morrissey/2023/09/03/the-fire-burning-in-the-bones-sunday-reflection-n575448

• Love 2

Well this puts Matthew 16:13-19 into a totally different perspective. This area that Jesus brought his disciples to was actually called "The gates of Hell" by the pagans of that day. Article at the end. 

13 When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, “Who do people say the Son of Man is?”

14 They replied, “Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets.”

15 “But what about you?” he asked. “Who do you say I am?”

16 Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.”

17 Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by my Father in heaven. 18 And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it. 

https://www.thattheworldmayknow.com/gates-of-hell-article#:~:text=In that pagan setting%2C he,would overcome the worst evils.&text=To the pagan mind%2C the,to worship these false gods.

Edited by Fansince88
  • Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Fansince88 said:

Well this puts Matthew 16:13-19 into a totally different perspective. This area that Jesus brought his disciples to was actually called "The gates of Hell by the pagans of that day. Article at the end. 

13 When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, “Who do people say the Son of Man is?”

14 They replied, “Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets.”

15 “But what about you?” he asked. “Who do you say I am?”

16 Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.”

17 Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by my Father in heaven. 18 And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it. 

https://www.thattheworldmayknow.com/gates-of-hell-article#:~:text=In that pagan setting%2C he,would overcome the worst evils.&text=To the pagan mind%2C the,to worship these false gods.

That was an eye opening perspective, thanks for sharing!

59 minutes ago, Cinga said:

That was an eye opening perspective, thanks for sharing!

Checking a sermon by Robin Bullock.  I cant remember if it was his last interview with Elijah Streams or his own program. Wanted to see it for myself. 

Edited by Fansince88
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

You know how I prefer Bible Study as Word by Word, Verse by Verse and I came across this today by Pastor Jack Hibbs of Calvary Chapel Chino Hills.

Here is a screenshot of the entire post

image.png.6490d2f00058a8a6775ae9c8aaa257cb.png

So of course I went to the Concordance and sure enough

https://biblehub.com/strongs/genesis/6-11.htm

The original for violence in Hebrew is HAMAS

image.png.3fdfedb8006906f0b47b16ffcddf64fd.png

Edited by Cinga
  • Like 2

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR72wr_kOFHoerV1XQjnLP  Taxing His Patience: Sunday Reflection

This morning’s Gospel reading is Matthew 22:15–21:

The Pharisees went off and plotted how they might entrap Jesus in speech. They sent their disciples to him, with the Herodians, saying, “Teacher, we know that you are a truthful man and that you teach the way of God in accordance with the truth. And you are not concerned with anyone’s opinion, for you do not regard a person’s status. Tell us, then, what is your opinion: Is it lawful to pay the census tax to Caesar or not?”

Knowing their malice, Jesus said, “Why are you testing me, you hypocrites? Show me the coin that pays the census tax.” Then they handed him the Roman coin. He said to them, “Whose image is this and whose inscription?” They replied, “Caesar’s.” At that he said to them, “Then repay to Caesar what belongs to Caesar and to God what belongs to God.”

Who doesn’t love this Gospel passage? It offers us both comic and retributive elements, with the powers of society at that time falling into the trap of their own making. The Pharisees and the Herodians are laughably unctuous in their approach as to almost get reduced to satire, and their attempted snare is so easily defeated that the pratfall aspect of it still echoes down through the millennia.

• Love 2

• 3 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Foxx said:

This is one I struggle a lot with similar to the Catholic tradition of praying to Saints to intervene for us. 

First, Mary could not do this on her own. I know some view her as a deity herself as the Mother of God, however  she isn't, while truly Blessed she is still just as human as you or I. So that said, she would need God to intervene and make this happen for her.

Then there is the whole ghost problem and while we know it has happened at least once as Samuel ghost did when called up by Saul. But this was before the Resurrection and the dead OT believers (or saints of old) in Sheol. the grave, purgatory, paradise, whatever you want to call it all ascended into Heaven when Jesus did and we know that divination is strictly forbidden so most scholars agree God had Samuel fulfill this visit.

So let me ask this.... If you were in Heaven, finally in the Presence of the Lord and all the Beauty surely surrounding you, would you come back here? And remember the story of the rich man and Lazarus (different Lazarus than the one Jesus raised) in Luke 16, how the rich man in hell implored Abraham to send Lazarus, who had been a poor man and was in Heaven back to warn his brothers what might befall them as it had him. 

Well here, I'll let Jesus finish the story He was telling beginning with verse 27

27 “He answered, ‘Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my family, 28 for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.’

29 “Abraham replied, ‘They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to them.’

30 “‘No, father Abraham,’ he said, ‘but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.’

31 “He said to him, ‘If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.’”

See.... We have the Words of Moses and the Prophets too and if you are thinking perhaps you might come back, I would remind you of Lots wife and what happened to her. She was longing for the past while God was giving her a future. 

Then there is the whole problem with why are we discussing the living with the dead, and why would we consult Creation about the Creator when we do in fact have a direct line to Him ourselves?

Truth is, there are spirits alright, but they are not the spirits of our lost friends and relatives. There is only one Spirit we should commune with, and as you know, that is the Holy Spirit of God.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

• 3 weeks later...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRwtaDklYSpOIJSsBmGZhC

This morning’s Gospel reading is Mark 13:33–37:

Jesus said to his disciples:

“Be watchful! Be alert! You do not know when the time will come. It is like a man traveling abroad. He leaves home and places his servants in charge, each with his own work, and orders the gatekeeper to be on the watch. Watch, therefore; you do not know when the lord of the house is coming, whether in the evening, or at midnight, or at cockcrow, or in the morning. May he not come suddenly and find you sleeping. What I say to you, I say to all: ‘Watch!’”

Welcome to Advent, the Church’s liturgical season of preparation for the coming of Christ. It is, in fact, the ‘first’ liturgical season on the Church’s calendar, as we launch into a new liturgical year. Advent lasts for four weeks, and then we celebrate our Christmas season for two weeks. Between that and Lenten season, we have a brief period of Ordinary Time. Of course, Lent ends when Holy Week (Paschal Triduum)  begins, which leads us into Easter and Pentecost. After Pentecost, we then enter another season of Ordinary Time, this lasting roughly six months.

Thus, Advent reminds us of both renewal and preparation. Jesus offers a brief parable about the latter relating to the necessity of both preparation and watchfulness. But before we delve too deeply into that, we could ask ourselves this: why have ‘seasons’ at all? Should we not be in Advent the entire year, preparing for the Lord’s return?

More at the link: https://hotair.com/ed-morrissey/2023/12/03/the-reason-for-the-seasons-sunday-reflection-n596242

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

A Voice Cries Out in the Wilderness: Sunday Reflection

This morning’s Gospel reading is John 1:6–8, 19–28:

A man named John was sent from God. He came for testimony, to testify to the light, so that all might believe through him. He was not the light, but came to testify to the light.

And this is the testimony of John. When the Jews from Jerusalem sent priests and Levites to him to ask him, “Who are you?” he admitted and did not deny it, but admitted, “I am not the Christ.” So they asked him, “What are you then? Are you Elijah?” And he said, “I am not.” “Are you the Prophet?” He answered, “No.” So they said to him, “Who are you, so we can give an answer to those who sent us? What do you have to say for yourself?” He said:

“I am the voice of one crying out in the desert, ‘Make straight the way of the Lord,’ as Isaiah the prophet said.”

Some Pharisees were also sent. They asked him, “Why then do you baptize if you are not the Christ or Elijah or the Prophet?” John answered them, “I baptize with water; but there is one among you whom you do not recognize, the one who is coming after me, whose sandal strap I am not worthy to untie.” This happened in Bethany across the Jordan, where John was baptizing.

A voice cries out in the wilderness
‘Prepare a way for the Lord!’
A voice cries out in the wilderness
‘Make straight a highway for God!’

We are deep in the four-week cycle of Advent today, with just one more Sunday to go before Christmas — and indeed, that comes at midnight following the fourth Sunday. The season of Advent bids us to prepare ourselves for the Lord, in just the way that John the Baptist preaches in today’s Gospel. This year, thanks to the calendar, we must prepare during Advent, because if we waited until the fourth Sunday of the season, well … best of luck to us.

https://hotair.com/ed-morrissey/2023/12/17/a-voice-cries-out-in-the-wilderness-sunday-reflection-n599578

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I John‬ ‭5:14‭-‬15‬ ‭NKJV‬
[14] Now this is the confidence that we have in Him, that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. [15] And if we know that He hears us, whatever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we have asked of Him.

I have not been able to shake this pair of verses since Monday. The beginning of vs 15 qualifies 14. AND IF WE KNOW THAT HE HEARS US.  Do we know. Do we walk away from prayer saying, "well lets see what happens". Is there really a knowing deep inside each of us. I really question this about myself. Am I expecting God to listen when I pray or am I expecting to jot be heard. A common phrase I have heard during many sermons over the years is this, "sometimes we pray and wonder if it goes beyond the ceiling". We should be instructed to NEVER have that mindset. We need to train our spirits to end our prayers KNOWING that he has heard us.
Father, when we come before you let us recognise that not only arenyou interested in what we have going on in our lives but that you do indeed hear us. And because we know that you hear us we, present tense, Have the petitions that we ask of you. In Jesus name, Amen. 🙏

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

WOW! The look on so many of those faces, especially the young ones I can only pray this may have an effect on them that will last eternity! 

• Like 4