Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

WEEKLY BIBLE STUDY

Cinga

30 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

Happy Father's Day.

Where are you, men of courage?

Wow, intense! Thank you for sharing this in these times where secularism tends to make many people, including fathers, to shy away from their duties to their children, and to God. We need Courageous Fathers now more than ever before!

• Like 2

June 19

When we left off on John on April 10, we had just started Chapter 5 and had covered the pool of Bethesda where Jesus had healed the invalid, told him to pick up his mat and walk. When the priests of that time questioned him about carrying his mat on the Sabbath, the man told them Jesus told him to.

My comments are in italics

16 So, because Jesus was doing these things on the Sabbath, the Jewish leaders began to persecute him. – As you can see, pretty much from the beginning of His Ministry the priests set about to ruin His character and reputation with charges that He was breaking the law.

17 In his defense Jesus said to them, “My Father is always at his work to this very day, and I too am working.” – This is rather profound for a couple reasons. First, to know that after Creation, God wasn’t finished and is in fact working on us, and through us to this very day. Then remember too from Genesis, when God rested on the 7th day, He didn’t really need the rest, it was a message to us that we needed the rest. Jesus knows this which is also the reason in His response that He too was working.

18 For this reason they tried all the more to kill him; - This may be a bit premature, or harsh interpretation of the original apokteinai which also means destroy but look to this next part of the verse to see why many interpret it to mean kill Him.

not only was he breaking the Sabbath, but he was even calling God his own Father, making himself equal with God. – The Sabbath is one thing, but now they are thinking blasphemy as Jesus appears to be placing Himself equal to God. We now know that He is, and sadly these priests of the time should have known too as teachers of Scripture. But blasphemy would be to contradict God, or to place yourself above Him. Jesus does none of this, declaring Himself but a Son.

19 Jesus gave them this answer: “Very truly I tell you, the Son can do nothing by himself; he can do only what he sees his Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son also does. – Jesus is confirming to them that yes, He is indeed the Son of God

20 For the Father loves the Son and shows him all he does. Yes, and he will show him even greater works than these, so that you will be amazed. – Left out of a lot of commentary on this is the absolute beauty of constant communication between God the Father and God the Son. And the Love they share creates a oneness of essence between them as these declarations Jesus makes attest to.

21 For just as the Father raises the dead and gives them life, even so the Son gives life to whom he is pleased to give it.In a broader sense the meaning here goes beyond the raising from the dead we may be familiar with like the story coming of Lazarus. I think the intent of this is the more to raise people up in the afterlife.

22 Moreover, the Father judges no one, but has entrusted all judgment to the Son, 23 that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. Whoever does not honor the Son does not honor the Father, who sent him. – To learn here that Jesus is the final arbiter of our Judgement is the important part to take away from this and that it goes along with being raised into the afterlife with Him.

As we have gone through John, I pray you have taken in the fact that from the Beginning, Jesus was there, and was in fact the Creator Himself. Now we see that He has subjected Himself to that Creation to bring us redemption through Him. Now we also learn that our final Judgement is also through Him.

My Brother and Sisters in Christ, this is what Love truly is!

May you and your have a Blessed week!

• Like 4

In light of current events and to keep my "beliefs" here as they are based on scripture. I shall let them explain themselves. 

Psalms 139:13-16 

13 For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb.

14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.

15 My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.

16 Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.

Jeremiah 1:5

5 “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations.”

Psalms 127:3-5

3 Children are a heritage from the LORD, offspring a reward from him.

4 Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are children born in one’s youth.

5 Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them. They will not be put to shame when they contend with their opponents in court.

Proverbe 6:16-17

16 There are six things the LORD hates, seven that are detestable to him:

17 haughty eyes, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood

Psalms 22:10

10 From birth I was cast on you; from my mother’s womb you have been my God.

So all this to say, if God values life at conception I have no right devaluing it. 

• Love 3

14 hours ago, Fansince88 said:

In light of current events and to keep my "beliefs" here as they are based on scripture. I shall let them explain themselves. 

Psalms 139:13-16 

13 For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb.

14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.

15 My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.

16 Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.

Jeremiah 1:5

5 “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations.”

Psalms 127:3-5

3 Children are a heritage from the LORD, offspring a reward from him.

4 Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are children born in one’s youth.

5 Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them. They will not be put to shame when they contend with their opponents in court.

Proverbe 6:16-17

16 There are six things the LORD hates, seven that are detestable to him:

17 haughty eyes, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood

Psalms 22:10

10 From birth I was cast on you; from my mother’s womb you have been my God.

So all this to say, if God values life at conception I have no right devaluing it. 

Thank you for doing this, and if you don't mind I'm going to try to build a little more on this same issue. Since 1973 science has developed more and now confirms God's Word once again that life begins at conception. As @Fansince88 has effectively covered God's Word while in the womb, even if you are not a believer, science can now confirm this very fact. 

We know, attacks over the ruling are attacks against people of Faith for "forcing" our beliefs on others, however as stated, this is not just a denial of the Word of God, but is actually anti-science.

The Word of God is filled with verses of preborn and children, so if I may add a few more to the list

Exodus 21:22-25

“If people are fighting and hit a pregnant woman and she gives birth prematurely but there is no serious injury, the offender must be fined whatever the woman’s husband demands and the court allows. 23 But if there is serious injury, you are to take life for life, 24 eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, 25 burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise

Matt 18:14

So it is not the will of your Father who is in heaven that one of these little ones perish.

Like 17:2

It would be better for them to be thrown into the sea with a millstone tied around their neck than to cause one of these little ones to stumble.

Gal 1:15-16

But when God, who set me apart from my mother’s womb and called me by his grace, was pleased 16 to reveal his Son in me so that I might preach him among the Gentiles, my immediate response was not to consult any human being.

My wife and I were never Blessed with children, though suffered heartbreaking miscarriages. In one of our talk before she passed was how she would soon meet our children, knowing they were now with Jesus. I will never forget the look of pure joy on her face knowing that time was coming soon for her. Brothers and Sisters, there are over 63 million other children there hoping to meet their parents for the first time. With that in mind, please take a moment to pray for those parents, that they have found forgiveness and salvation through Christ and will one day meet their own children in Heaven.

Edited by Cinga
  • Cheers 1
  • FANtastic 2

My wife shared this on my FB today. 

Listen to His voice. I had a tear or two.

Edited by Fansince88
  • Like 2
  • Love 2

July 3

When we left off Noah, the Ark had just been opened and everything and everyone had been let off. Remember, it had been a year and even though Noah had taken food for all of them onto the Ark, creatures that had been adolescent at the beginning of the flood might be more mature now. There is a theory out there that maybe God had put many, if not all the creature into hibernation during the flood. While I have never seen anything to support this idea, we must consider it possible even if only for the creatures that would normally hibernate and probably placed in the lower decks of the Ark.

But even with that, imagine the trauma of what had to be a very rough voyage, shut up inside from the destruction across the world with only a bit of daylight coming in. Keep in mind too that up until now, all creatures are vegan and as they are let out of the Ark have a much changed, and young, probably immature vegetation landscape to greet them.

Then God blessed Noah and his sons, saying to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number and fill the earth. – We’ve discussed this often enough but now we are discussing our direct ancestors as all of us alive today is through these 4 families that were on the Ark. So this is a Blessing that all of us need to be grateful for!

The fear and dread of you will fall on all the beasts of the earth, and on all the birds in the sky, on every creature that moves along the ground, and on all the fish in the sea; they are given into your hands. – Up until this point of time as we have discussed, everything was vegan, so everything lived in peace, side by side. Now however is when God placed the fear of man in all living creatures

Everything that lives and moves about will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything. – Just as vegetation was given to us to eat, God now tell us it is okay to eat animal flesh as it most certainly also okayed animals eating of each other as well. Vegetation will still be rather sparce this soon after the flood and remember God had them take 7 pairs of clean animals on the Ark, so there should be an abundance of some animal kinds. However, in out diet, there is not a distinction yet as to what animals we can or can’t eat as that will come with the Mosaic Laws later.

“But you must not eat meat that has its lifeblood still in it. – The original for lifeblood is benapsow which also means that which breaths, or the breathing substance of being, or soul. I think this is very specific that the flesh must be dead with stopped heart, and soul having left the body. This breath of life is also used to distinguish in Scripture the difference between plant life and creature life. 

And for your lifeblood I will surely demand an accounting. I will demand an accounting from every animal. And from each human being, too, I will demand an accounting for the life of another human being. – We don’t have a Commandment against murder yet again, that is coming with the Mosaic Laws, but this is the point God is trying to get across here as well is the needless killing of other creatures. And He is making this declaration of wasteful killing against all creatures. Later in Exodus you will find that if an oxen gores and kills a man, that oxen is to be stoned to death.

“Whoever sheds human blood,
    by humans shall their blood be shed;
for in the image of God
    has God made mankind.

As for you, be fruitful and increase in number; multiply on the earth and increase upon it.”

I’m going to stop there for the week as the next part shouldn’t be broken and I want to take it all in the same lesson. I pray you notice we have begun to cover some rules beyond the do not partake from the tree of knowledge. As God establishes limits to where the water can go, He also begins to give us rules and limits in His desire to redeem us to Himself.

May you and yours have a Blessed week!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Brothers and Sisters, this weekend is the anniversary of losing my wife last year and my heart just isn't in to writing something for the week.

If someone else can post a thought or Scripture for the day, much appreciated... I'll still be around a bit, but spending a good part of the weekend reflecting, and getting ready to take the first breath of the rest of my life tomorrow night.

Peace

• Love 6

Fansince88
1 hour ago, Cinga said:

Brothers and Sisters, this weekend is the anniversary of losing my wife last year and my heart just isn't in to writing something for the week.

If someone else can post a thought or Scripture for the day, much appreciated... I'll still be around a bit, but spending a good part of the weekend reflecting, and getting ready to take the first breath of the rest of my life tomorrow night.

Peace

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Psalm 34:18 NIV

18 The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.

Isaiah 41:10 NIV

10 So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

John 14:27-29 NIV

27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. 28 "You heard me say, 'I am going away and I am coming back to you.' If you loved me, you would be glad that I am going to the Father, for the Father is greater than I. 29 I have told you now before it happens, so that when it does happen you will believe.

• Love 3

On 7/9/2022 at 9:29 AM, Cinga said:

Peace

I hope you find peace and strength in the fact you've navigated treacherous waters in what I'm sure has been a brutal year for you.  Life goes on and you have many more chapters to write.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Nouseforaname
On 7/9/2022 at 12:29 PM, Cinga said:

Peace

Difficult anniversary.  Sorry for your loss🙏

• Love 1

July 17

For me, it seems fitting that this week is going to address the afterlife a bit more than we’ve already covered.

We’re going to begin to explore what happened to the Saints of old, people who died before Jesus. If you’re studied on the Crucifixion, you will remember the thief that Jesus told that today, he would be with Him in Paradise. Like the Catholic doctrine of purgatory, there was a place sort of in limbo, where believers of old went until the time of redemption came. In fact, we read in Matt 27:52-53 the moment Jesus died, Holy People who had died before raised up and appeared to people through Jerusalem. So, when Jesus raised from the dead, all those Saints of old raised up with Him, and Paradise/Purgatory is now empty. Since then, as people die, believers go straight to Jesus’ presence in Heaven which as we’ve learned, sits outside of the space/matter time continuum, free of the condemnation non-believers face when they are raised to face judgement.

Have you accepted Jesus into your life as your personal Savior?

24 “Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life. – Very truly originally is Amen, amen as if the empathize the trustworthiness of what He is telling you. Words is the Devine expression of them and believes of course is to place Faith in them. And the life He refers to is your Spiritual life as we learned in John 3.

25 Very truly I tell you, a time is coming and has now come when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God and those who hear will live. – We have the very truly once again, as if telling us to make sure we pay attention here. Then He tells us that even the dead hear His voice. This was an amazing time to be alive! We will hear later on His entrance into Jerusalem on the donkey – Luke 19:40, that if the crowd didn’t rejoice over Him, the rocks themselves would have cried out to Him!

26 For as the Father has life in himself, - This is literally the possessive, to hold or control life

so he has granted the Son also to have life in himself. 27 And he has given him authority to judge because he is the Son of Man. – As Jesus now has control over life

28 “Do not be amazed at this, for a time is coming when all who are in their graves will hear his voice – I pray by now you understand the emphasis the writer is putting on this section of the Word, as if to make sure you are paying attention.

29 and come out—those who have done what is good will rise to live, and those who have done what is evil will rise to be condemned. 30 By myself I can do nothing; I judge only as I hear, and my judgment is just, for I seek not to please myself but him who sent me. – We know this as the triune nature of God, and the importance, and reliance each on the other to bring us Salvation through Him.

To this point in our study, we have learned of the fall of man in Genesis and see here in John the beginning of a plan for our redemption. And through that we’re beginning to get a grasp on the difference of what will happen as believers and non-believers not only in a future Judgement Day, but even now as we pass from this life into the next for believers, and into the grave as non-believers.

Which then of course leads to the ultimate question…. Where do you want to spend eternity?

• Cheers 3

July 24

This week  we are going to see the first Covenant that God makes with us. It comes from the word beriti which also means alliance, pledge, or treaty and I think the better definition is promise. An alliance or treaty has more than one side coming to an agreement, in these Covenants God will make, it is more one sided and not requiring we negotiated the pact, but that we certainly benefit from it.

Then God said to Noah and to his sons with him: “I now establish my covenant with you and with your descendants after you this first Covenant was given to all of us as we have seen  as descendants of Noah and continuing to this very day and we will see affirmed in verse 16.

10 and with every living creature that was with you—the birds, the livestock and all the wild animals, all those that came out of the ark with you—every living creature on earth. Since it now includes every living creature then, and into the future it has to be something pretty big right?

11 I establish my covenant with you: Never again will all life be destroyed by the waters of a flood; never again will there be a flood to destroy the earth.”There won’t be a flood to kill all living creature, this is not to say there won’t be smaller localized flooding.

12 And God said, “This is the sign of the covenant I am making between me and you and every living creature with you, a covenant for all generations to come: 

13 I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and the earth. – Here is the rainbow and I’ll address it a bit more below, but remember before the Flood, there were no clouds and as you know, rainbows are the sun’s refraction through the vapor of those clouds, or a mist like Niagara and many other falls give off but as you know, that would be referred to as a rainbow in the clouds.

14 Whenever I bring clouds over the earth and the rainbow appears in the clouds, 15 I will remember my covenant between me and you and all living creatures of every kind. – I want to pause here a moment and point to God’s Word’s in this verse, “I will remember”… It’s a very hard concept for humans to grasp as while we can be forgiven for something, we still carry that guilt from our transgression. God however, can make a choice to forget something, like my sins.

Never again will the waters become a flood to destroy all life. 16 Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth.”And here God calls it an everlasting Covenant which is owlam, meaning indefinite or unending.

17 So God said to Noah, “This is the sign of the covenant I have established between me and all life on the earth.”

To finish up just a quick word on the rainbow. We’ve already discussed in our studies that the evil one does his best to deceive mankind by corrupting God’s Word and he has gotten so good at it, he even makes people believe it’s the right thing to do. Remember here, this rainbow is a reminder to God to never again destroy all living things because they had become corrupted and immoral. And now we have that evil once again trying to lead the people back into the immorality that brought the Flood, and even corrupting the very meaning of the rainbow that He set as His own reminder. And this is only one of the many “controversies” during what is becoming a time of immense trouble in our nation and the world.

But I pray you have also noticed during our studies, that just when things seem at their most bleak, God is always there with a doorway open to keep His children on the path to redemption.

Edited by Cinga
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

I found this helpful this week.

This morning’s Gospel reading is Luke 11:1–13:

Jesus was praying in a certain place, and when he had finished, one of his disciples said to him, “Lord, teach us to pray just as John taught his disciples.” He said to them, “When you pray, say: Father, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come. Give us each day our daily bread and forgive us our sins for we ourselves forgive everyone in debt to us, and do not subject us to the final test.”

And he said to them, “Suppose one of you has a friend to whom he goes at midnight and says, ‘Friend, lend me three loaves of bread, for a friend of mine has arrived at my house from a journey and I have nothing to offer him,’ and he says in reply from within, ‘Do not bother me; the door has already been locked and my children and I are already in bed. I cannot get up to give you anything.’ I tell you, if he does not get up to give the visitor the loaves because of their friendship, he will get up to give him whatever he needs because of his persistence.

“And I tell you, ask and you will receive; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives; and the one who seeks, finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened. What father among you would hand his son a snake when he asks for a fish? Or hand him a scorpion when he asks for an egg? If you then, who are wicked, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him?”

Why do we feel our prayers go unanswered, or even unheard? After all, people of faith pray for a lot of things, many of which never come to pass. This is one of the most frustrating aspects of prayer life, but one that really forces us to rely on what matters most: faith.

In today’s Gospel, Jesus promises that the Lord will grant His children what they truly want, and uses an interesting set of metaphors to explain this. A father would hardly hand his son or daughter a snake rather than a fish, or a scorpion in place of a requested egg. This comment from Jesus appears light-hearted, a form of absurdism that intends to provoke laughter and understanding.

But what if that’s not what happens when we pray in real life? What if we’re asking for scorpions and snakes without understanding what they are? Little children, after all, have very little comprehension of the dangers of scorpions and snakes; a lot of kids just know that they look cool and have a curiosity about them.

If your child came up to you and said, “Daddy and mommy, please please please get me scorpion,” would you go out and find the first scorpion you find and drop it into their hands? Or would you say no and explain how dangerous they are, and perhaps ask them to trust your judgment on it if they still insisted?

If it’s the latter, it demonstrates your love for your children expressed in the deep desire to protect and nurture them properly.

To paraphrase Jesus, if we as flawed and limited parents can make those judgment calls, imagine how much more perfectly our Father can make them. When we pray for things that will damage us or turn us away from salvation, even if we don’t realize it, then the Lord will not “answer” those prayers in the way we expect. And that would be true even if we keep knocking on the door, asking from morning to night, and so on. God loves us too much to see us get fatally stung or bitten by the desires of our hearts.

https://hotair.com/ed-morrissey/2022/07/24/ask-and-ye-shall-receive-what-sunday-reflection-n484722

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Especially relevant in today's time. From the Book of Sirach:

Concerning Physicians and Health

38 Honor physicians for their services,
    for the Lord created them,
for their gift of healing comes from the Most High,
    and they are rewarded by the king.
The skill of physicians makes them distinguished,
    and in the presence of the great they are admired.
The Lord created medicines out of the earth,
    and the sensible will not despise them.
Was not water made sweet with a tree
    in order that its[a] power might be known?
And he gave skill to human beings
    that he[b] might be glorified in his marvelous works.
By them the physician[c] heals and takes away pain;
    the pharmacist makes a mixture from them.
God’s[d] works will never be finished,
    and from him health spreads over all the earth.

My child, when you are ill, do not delay,
    but pray to the Lord, and he will heal you.
10 Give up your faults and direct your hands rightly,
    and cleanse your heart from all sin.
11 Offer a sweet-smelling sacrifice and a memorial portion of choice flour,
    and pour oil on your offering, as much as you can afford.[e]
12 Then give physicians their place, for the Lord created them;
    do not let them leave you, for you need them.
13 There may come a time when recovery lies in the hands of physicians,[f]
14     for they, too, pray to the Lord
that he grant them success in diagnosis[g]
    and in healing, for the sake of preserving life.
15 Those who sin against their Maker
    will be defiant toward the physician.[h]

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SackMan518 said:

Especially relevant in today's time. From the Book of Sirach:

Concerning Physicians and Health

38 Honor physicians for their services,
    for the Lord created them,
for their gift of healing comes from the Most High,
    and they are rewarded by the king.
The skill of physicians makes them distinguished,
    and in the presence of the great they are admired.
The Lord created medicines out of the earth,
    and the sensible will not despise them.
Was not water made sweet with a tree
    in order that its[a] power might be known?
And he gave skill to human beings
    that he[b] might be glorified in his marvelous works.
By them the physician[c] heals and takes away pain;
    the pharmacist makes a mixture from them.
God’s[d] works will never be finished,
    and from him health spreads over all the earth.

My child, when you are ill, do not delay,
    but pray to the Lord, and he will heal you.
10 Give up your faults and direct your hands rightly,
    and cleanse your heart from all sin.
11 Offer a sweet-smelling sacrifice and a memorial portion of choice flour,
    and pour oil on your offering, as much as you can afford.[e]
12 Then give physicians their place, for the Lord created them;
    do not let them leave you, for you need them.
13 There may come a time when recovery lies in the hands of physicians,[f]
14     for they, too, pray to the Lord
that he grant them success in diagnosis[g]
    and in healing, for the sake of preserving life.
15 Those who sin against their Maker
    will be defiant toward the physician.[h]

The American Medical Association reminds you to worship your doctor.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1