Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Immigration

Foxx

16 hours ago, Billsandhorns said:

My wife ( a naturalized citizen) who did it the right way would tell you that doesn't matter. Her family spent years going through the process, why should it be different for anyone else?  

She tells me that she feels like she is a second class citizen in her own adopted country. What should I tell her ? That's not true that she is just as valuable to this country as someone who just walked across the border for a better life? This country certainly isn't telling us that

My friend's parents both immigrated and became naturalized US citizens, after going through the proper channels. They absolutely hate that the Democrats just want to hand out citizenship to anyone who illegally crosses the border.

• Like 1

Billsandhorns
21 minutes ago, Koko said:

My friend's parents both immigrated and became naturalized US citizens, after going through the proper channels. They absolutely hate that the Democrats just want to hand out citizenship to anyone who illegally crosses the border.

My wife does as well. 

23 hours ago, Ann said:

What is she complaining about? Not only is Chicago a "sanctuary city" if it is ok for illegals to pour over the border into southern states by the hundreds of thousands, why isn't it ok for Chicago to take on a few thousand?

She isnt wrong. I wouldnt force Chicago on anyone either.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

it's hard to be a sanctuary city

Mayor Lori Lightfoot lashes out at Texas Gov. Abbott after 50 more migrants are bussed to Chicago (msn.com)

My frustration comes from the actions of the governor of Texas," she said at a press conference. "There could be a level of coordination and cooperation, but he chooses to do none of those things. Instead, he chooses to send human beings across the country to an uncertain destination. That's unacceptable."

"He is manufacturing a human crisis and it makes no sense to me," Lightfoot said.

After the first two buses of migrants arrived in Chicago on Wednesday, Lightfoot said the city would help them find shelter, work and schools.

4 hours ago, Spartacus said:

it's hard to be a sanctuary city

Mayor Lori Lightfoot lashes out at Texas Gov. Abbott after 50 more migrants are bussed to Chicago (msn.com)

My frustration comes from the actions of the governor of Texas," she said at a press conference. "There could be a level of coordination and cooperation, but he chooses to do none of those things. Instead, he chooses to send human beings across the country to an uncertain destination. That's unacceptable."

"He is manufacturing a human crisis and it makes no sense to me," Lightfoot said.

After the first two buses of migrants arrived in Chicago on Wednesday, Lightfoot said the city would help them find shelter, work and schools.

Beetlejuice! There is no organization of them coming across the border.  You get what you get and you dont throw a fit.

19 hours ago, Fansince88 said:

Beetlejuice! There is no organization of them coming across the border.  You get what you get and you dont throw a fit.

millions are crossing the border

Chicago got 50

the horror

turn em loose downtown and they'll be dead in a week

Edited by Spartacus
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Fansince88 said:

Beetlejuice!

I watched that the other day, and it really is amazing how much she does look like the character. 

• Cheers 1

just like Chicago

can't handle a couple of bus loads of illegals

NYC Mayor Adams sends delegation to southern border amid clash with Texas Gov. Abbott over migrant buses (msn.com)

"Governor Abbott’s invitation is still open for Mayor Adams to come visit our southern border and see firsthand the devastating impacts of the Biden-made crisis on border towns smaller than a NYC borough – instead of sending his staffers on a secret trip to Texas," Press Secretary Renae Eze said in a statement.

Abbott has said that the move is designed to grant relief from overwhelmed border communities, which have seen more than 200,000 encounters in recent months, and more than two million encounters this fiscal year. He has also said that it is designed to draw attention to the crisis at the border, which he blames on the policies of the Biden administration.

"Adams talked the talk about being a sanctuary city -- welcoming illegal immigrants into the Big Apple with warm hospitality. Talk is cheap. When pressed into fulfilling such ill-considered policies, he wants to condemn anyone who is pressing him to walk the walk," he said in a New York Post op-ed.
Edited by Spartacus
  • Like 1

I'm just going to put this right here... If my count is correct, that is about 3 million charges each of transporting, harboring, encouraging or inducing, and engaging in aiding and abetting for Biden am I right?

image.png.2b438031a049cdf04dfeeafbadc39123.png

Crap Throwing Clavin
1 hour ago, Cinga said:

I'm just going to put this right here... If my count is correct, that is about 3 million charges each of transporting, harboring, encouraging or inducing, and engaging in aiding and abetting for Biden am I right?

image.png.2b438031a049cdf04dfeeafbadc39123.png

Not applicable, because Congress has delegated so much immigration authority to the White House that DHS can basically void that restriction with a simple submission to the CFR.

26 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Not applicable, because Congress has delegated so much immigration authority to the White House that DHS can basically void that restriction with a simple submission to the CFR.

Bullshit... the executive, regardless of what kind of cartwheels they spin, cannot change law, only Congress can. We just had the West Virginia v EPA decision and while I wish the court would have gone further, we at least now have precedent and know that bureaucrats within the departments cannot establish or change law. People argue sometimes that bureaucrats have to act because Congress doesn't, but you know as well as I, Congress inaction on something is in fact, an action on it especially if they refuse to change something like immigration law

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
  • Cheers 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
5 minutes ago, Cinga said:

Bullshit... the executive, regardless of what kind of cartwheels they spin, cannot change law, only Congress can. We just had the West Virginia v EPA decision and while I wish the court would have gone further, we at least now have precedent and know that bureaucrats within the departments cannot establish or change law. People argue sometimes that bureaucrats have to act because Congress doesn't, but you know as well as I, Congress inaction on something is in fact, an action on it especially if they refuse to change something like immigration law

Congress can, and does, delegate de facto legislative power to the Executive via the simple act of saying "The Executive has regulatory power on these issues." Which is why the federal government, in general, is such a godforsaken mess.  And why the "deep state" exists: the deep state is simply the bureaucratic state that rules through regulation published in the CFR.

It's also why immigration, in particular, is such an overwhelming godforsaken mess, because most of immigration law allows the Executive to regulate damn near everything, often to the exclusion of and in contradiction of the USC.  And it's not a recent development - Congress has been increasingly divesting itself of legislative power and investing it in the Executive via regulatory authority for at least 50 years (HUD, Transportation, Education, Energy, Homeland Security.  Throw in more minor, non-cabinet level departments like FEMA, CFPB, CPSC, the EPA...two-thirds the regulatory authority of the US Government was created within living memory).  

The literal ideal is what you say: Congress should legislate.  But we both know damn well they don't, they've been delegating that power for more than 50 years, stopped legislating some 15 years ago (at least), and are nothing more than cheerleaders now.  And we both agree it's a big damn problem.  Immigration regulation in particular is so bad I hesitate to call it "immigration law," and really should be thrown out completely and reformed from scratch, it's such an incoherent mess of conflicting regulation enabled by insubstantial and vacuous code.

And the funny thing, too, is that in saying that ("Immigration law should be thoroughly overhauled.") I'm somehow a racist Nazi, even though my specific vision for "reform" is to enable greater legal immigration while disincentiveising illegal immigration.  Because a good number of Americans don't even want Congress to legislate at this point - legislation is immoral and anti-democratic to maybe 25% of Americans at least.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Congress can, and does, delegate de facto legislative power to the Executive via the simple act of saying "The Executive has regulatory power on these issues." Which is why the federal government, in general, is such a godforsaken mess.  And why the "deep state" exists: the deep state is simply the bureaucratic state that rules through regulation published in the CFR.

It's also why immigration, in particular, is such an overwhelming godforsaken mess, because most of immigration law allows the Executive to regulate damn near everything, often to the exclusion of and in contradiction of the USC.  And it's not a recent development - Congress has been increasingly divesting itself of legislative power and investing it in the Executive via regulatory authority for at least 50 years (HUD, Transportation, Education, Energy, Homeland Security.  Throw in more minor, non-cabinet level departments like FEMA, CFPB, CPSC, the EPA...two-thirds the regulatory authority of the US Government was created within living memory).  

The literal ideal is what you say: Congress should legislate.  But we both know damn well they don't, they've been delegating that power for more than 50 years, stopped legislating some 15 years ago (at least), and are nothing more than cheerleaders now.  And we both agree it's a big damn problem.  Immigration regulation in particular is so bad I hesitate to call it "immigration law," and really should be thrown out completely and reformed from scratch, it's such an incoherent mess of conflicting regulation enabled by insubstantial and vacuous code.

And the funny thing, too, is that in saying that ("Immigration law should be thoroughly overhauled.") I'm somehow a racist Nazi, even though my specific vision for "reform" is to enable greater legal immigration while disincentiveising illegal immigration.  Because a good number of Americans don't even want Congress to legislate at this point - legislation is immoral and anti-democratic to maybe 25% of Americans at least.

I'm well aware of what Congress has done in the past. By citing West Virginia v EPA I was pointing out that they can't anymore without facing immediate court challenge. All the rules bureaucrats have created to now will take time and probably hundreds of suits to overturn but they will be. That is why I mentioned that i wish the court had gone further but I'm sure it was because of the turmoil of immediately declaring any rule/law made outside of Constitutional directive would have caused. But it will happen in time

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

$10 mil for each 94 illegals

graft the Biden admin can get behind

after all, what are sanctuary cities for 

Washington mayor declares public emergency over migrant arrivals from Texas, Arizona (msn.com)

"The crisis at the border is not lessening, it's getting worse," she said.

Some 94 migrant families are currently being housed in hotels in Washington through the city's shelter system, she said.

Bowser, a Democrat, issued an order to support arriving migrants by creating a new Office of Migrant Services and will devote $10 million to launch the office. The city will seek reimbursement from the federal government, Bowser said.

4 hours ago, Ann said:

Do these people ever think? Why would it be fine for Texas and Arizona to have to keep illegals here due to Biden's policies, but not other states/cities, particularly "sanctuary" cities?

3 items.

1.  Isn't this immigration crisis a failure of FEDERAL law enforcement upholding FEDERAL laws?  Pretty sure when 44 was in office and AZ tried enforcing immigration law they were forced not to by the federal government.

2.  Since when did DC get Caucasian council members?  Realize Georgetown is in the district, but didn't realize it was big enough to have representatation.

3.  Isn't taking in immigrants with open arms what being a "sanctuary city" is all about?

Crap Throwing Clavin
15 minutes ago, Taro T said:

3 items.

1.  Isn't this immigration crisis a failure of FEDERAL law enforcement upholding FEDERAL laws?  Pretty sure when 44 was in office and AZ tried enforcing immigration law they were forced not to by the federal government.

2.  Since when did DC get Caucasian council members?  Realize Georgetown is in the district, but didn't realize it was big enough to have representatation.

3.  Isn't taking in immigrants with open arms what being a "sanctuary city" is all about?

1) Of course.

2) She represents Ward 1.  That has voted honky for...oh, at least 25 years.  Though I did have to check...is she gay, or trans, or some other preferred oppressed minority (her predecessor, Jim Graham, was gay.  Before him was Frank Smith, a black man, then David A Clarke, a cracker.)

3) It's actually just about not cooperating with ICE and the US Marshals.  DC doesn't have an idiotic "Welcoming City" ordinance like Chicago does, they just commit to not handing immigrants over to ICE.

• Cheers 2

DC Council Member Says Arizona, Texas Govs Have Turned U.S. Capital into ‘Border Town’ With Migrant Buses (msn.com)

So it’s been said, but it’s worth reiterating that the governors of Texas and Arizona have created this crisis and the federal government has not stepped up to assist the District of Columbia. So we, along with our regional partners will do what we’ve always done. We’ll rise to the occasion. We’ve learned from border towns like El Paso and Brownsville. In many ways the governors, Texas and Arizona have turned us into a border town.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Spartacus said:

DC Council Member Says Arizona, Texas Govs Have Turned U.S. Capital into ‘Border Town’ With Migrant Buses (msn.com)

So it’s been said, but it’s worth reiterating that the governors of Texas and Arizona have created this crisis and the federal government has not stepped up to assist the District of Columbia. So we, along with our regional partners will do what we’ve always done. We’ll rise to the occasion. We’ve learned from border towns like El Paso and Brownsville. In many ways the governors, Texas and Arizona have turned us into a border town.

Joe Biden is doing this

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Spartacus said:

Bussing illegals to liberal cities is by far the funniest ongoing news story of the year.

• Like 3
  • Wow 1