Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Buffalo BILLS 2022-23 Season Official Thread

Alaska Darin

From Micah Hyde:

Anything but normal

</snip>

"Good teams are able to bounce back from a lot of things, but this was harder than previous years," Hyde said during a telephone interview prior to coming to Fostoria, to participate in a program on Thursday, at Fostoria Junior/Senior High School. "Just with injuries to key players on this team, the weather situation that we had at Thanksgiving, when we had to get out of here the week before Thanksgiving and go play Cleveland in Detroi,t and then we went back to Detroit the next week for that week's game, then on top of that, the schedule this year was insane. It was Monday night games, it was Sunday night games, it was Thursday night games, it was Sunday day games, there was a Saturday night game. I think the very last game of the season, going into the first round of the playoffs, was the first time we had two back-to-back Sunday 1 o'clock games. We couldn't really get into a constant routine.

"Then over Christmas, there was the snowstorm that we had that killed people here in Buffalo, the (Demar Hamlin) situation that happened that shocked the world on Monday night against the Bengals - there was just so much stuff that happened this year that you couldn't even imagine or make up in a book.

"It all just happened, and then when the season ended, we were still 13-3. That's some crazy stuff, to be able to go through all that and still be 13-3. I think once we won that first playoff game (over the Miami Dolphins), we kind of went out there a little flat and we were still able to escape with a win. Then in the second game, against a good Bengals team, we just ran out of gas from what happened throughout the whole season. It was tough to get more energy."

Certainly, the incident in which Hamlin, who was playing in Hyde's place at free safety, went into cardiac arrest on the field on Jan. 2 in Cincinnati, jarred many around the world, and the impact on his teammates was immediately visible on national TV, with some being moved to tears. Hyde was on the Bills' sideline when Hamlin got up from making a tackle and then fell backward seconds afterward.

"I can't even put into words how wild it was," said Hyde, who noted that the conversations with medical personnel indicated the severity of the situation to players immediately. "It was just one of those experiences that you never thought would have happened in a football game. ... They basically said he was dead on the field. It just shocked everybody and everybody was just distraught. Me explaining this right now, I can't even go into details because it was just kind of a traumatic event that happened to everybody. We were all a part of it."

All has gone well for Hamlin since then, and Hyde said the Bills were thrilled when the third-year defensive back walked through the doors of the Bills' facility.

"It was crazy," he said. "Guys were loving it. Guys were excited to see him. I was telling my wife for three straight days -- I couldn't stop talking about what happened to D-Ham. I was just replaying it in my head over and over. Like I said, it was a traumatic event. I told Amanda the night after the game that I just wanted to give D-Ham a hug. When he walked through the door, everybody just embraced him. It was just good to see him. We all needed it. Just like he needed it, we all needed it, too; just to see that he was OK and he was able to come back from what happened."

The 32-year-old Hyde's own comeback throughout the season was no simple task either, as he actually worked his way to being ahead of schedule in his recovery. The "23 in 23" slogan that he announced on Twitter shortly after his injury in September 2022 nearly happened months sooner than expected.

"If we would have been in the AFC championship game, I was going to play," he said. "I was able to put myself in a position to meet all the goals earlier than expected. After speaking to my doctor in L.A. -- I went to see him a couple of weeks ago -- he gave me the OK that if we made the AFC championship game; I was good.

</snip>

• Like 2