Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

2023 NFL Draft (because I'm bored)

Alaska Darin

SquirminThurman
10 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

Skip Bayless never played football and it's never been more obvious.  I love that he used Kliff Kingsbury.

Merrill was dead nutz about Khalil Mack.  Too bad the BILLS didn't see it.

Someone needs to get Hodge in a scouting/ front office position.

I liked his point about not drafting a guy based on the other guys available, but draft a player based on your criteria.

This is the reason I would love to take Avila even at #27. Finding 2-3 players that will be steady 2 contract starters for your team is a win in a weak draft, especially if your team is drafting @27. Avila is about the most obvious non bust in this draft.

Good size, can play anywhere on the IOL (has been a starter for 1+ season as a C and as a G), quite athletic. I know a lot of folks don't want to draft a 'non premium' position at #27, but I would argue C - who calls out protections for your $250M QB, or a 10yr guard who can play at a + level is a pick well spent.

Especially in what may end up being a weaker top end talent draft.

• Like 2

I’m hoping the Bills trade down from #29 and get extra picks.

If there’s a trade-down, then I’d like to see Guard and MLB with first two picks.  WR and TE with third and fourth.

I’m not sure the moves the Bills made in FA are good enough to settle the OL.  I think a day-one ready guard who’s an upgrade over what they already have will help take pressure off the tackle and Morse, who isn’t getting any younger or more spry. I’d put the best guard they can get on the right side to help Brown.

• Cheers 2

On 4/16/2023 at 11:36 AM, snafu said:

I’m hoping the Bills trade down from #29 and get extra picks.

If there’s a trade-down, then I’d like to see Guard and MLB with first two picks.  WR and TE with third and fourth.

I’m not sure the moves the Bills made in FA are good enough to settle the OL.  I think a day-one ready guard who’s an upgrade over what they already have will help take pressure off the tackle and Morse, who isn’t getting any younger or more spry. I’d put the best guard they can get on the right side to help Brown.

Sal Cappuccio and Matt Bove had Baldy on their show, and he has some very pointed takes on The Bills and who he thinks they should take and when. 

And he's not in favor of Bijon... at all.

Edited by Nanker
  • Like 2

Draftek's latest.

R1
Buffalo
Buffalo NFL Mock Draft logo
Darnell Washington
Georgia
TE
Reach/Value:

Height:
6'6"
Weight:
265Darnell Washington NFL Draft photo

Sean McDermott has made it clear for two straight seasons that his offense needs to be more balanced for Josh Allen. Through his rounds this offseason, Brandon Beane has also made it clear that if they want Josh Allen to stay healthy long-term, they need to stop over-depending on him and allow him to be 'Weapon X' in the offense rather than having to create offense entirely on his own.

The first step to finding balance is finding the run game. The addition of Connor McGovern at guard was a solid step, and although Beane has been steadfast in his belief in Spencer Brown at RT, I believe more additions could be on the way after the draft and 'compensatory pick free agency' is finished. While Bijan Robinson might be a dream pick here, I actually love the idea of TE Darnell Washington sliding in opposite Dawson Knox.

Washington isn't a finished product as a blocker or receiver but possesses immense potential in both categories. At the very least, Washington will be a load to bring down after the catch and will be a solid in-line blocker as a rookie in 2023. His ceiling is a player similar to one Rob Gronkowski.

Even if the Bills don't end up with a new RB in the draft, Damien Harris and James Cook will be a solid 1-2 punch behind an improved offensive line and (hopefully) a more balanced offense.

R2
Buffalo
Mazi Smith
Michigan
DL1T
Reach/Value:

Height:
6'3"
Weight:
Mazi Smith NFL Draft photo
I believe one of the biggest issues for the Bills overall is the lack of consistency against the run on defense. Beane, McDermott, and Leslie Frazier have built a defense based on speed, leaving size up the middle to be desired. Ed Oliver was drafted for his pass-rush potential as a 3-technique on the inside, but without a true, dominant nose, Oliver may never reach his potential.

Enter Mazi Smith, who I actually would consider in the first round, making this an immense value for the Bills. Smith is stout against the run and flashes impressive agility for his size (6'3" 323 lbs). Smith and Oliver would provide tremendous stability in the center of an already elite defense.

R3
Buffalo
J.L. Skinner
Boise State
S
Reach/Value:

Height:
6'4"
Weight:
J.L. Skinner NFL Draft photo
The Bills did very well to hold on to one of their key defensive players in S Jordan Poyer, but with him and running mate Micah Hyde on the wrong side of 30, the future needs to be considered. Skinner has elite length for a safety (6'4", 32" arms) and can play either safety spot as well as cover tight ends over the middle. Sound familiar? Perfect fit!

R4
Buffalo
Chandler Zavala
North Carolina State
OG
Reach/Value:

Height:
6'5"
Weight:
Chandler Zavala NFL Draft photo
R5
Buffalo (Trade)
Buffalo (Trade) NFL Mock Draft logo
Israel Abanikanda
Pitt
RB
Reach/Value:

Height:
5'11"
Weight:
Israel Abanikanda NFL Draft photo

R6
Buffalo
Bryce Ford-Wheaton
West Virginia
WR
Reach/Value:

Height:
6'4"
Weight:
Bryce Ford-Wheaton NFL Draft photo

Overall I like it.

But no way Mazi lasts to #59.

and I don't care for the Pitt RB.

But love the big receiver.

Crap Throwing Clavin
1 minute ago, Ann said:

Wow

Maybe he had a family emergency.  Lost a relative, maybe.  And took a while to remember to look under the couch.

• Like 1