Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

2023 NFL Draft (because I'm bored)

Alaska Darin

Beane loves to draft elite traits

plus Washington will diversify the offense and free Dawson Knox

everybody laughed when Singletary put his midget body into blitzers

change the dynamic by lining up Washington in the backfield

https://www.fantasypoints.com/nfl/articles/2023/pre-nfl-draft-rookie-te-dynasty-rankings#/

4. DARNELL WASHINGTON, TE, GEORGIA BULLDOGS

Height: 6’7”, Weight: 264 lbs, 40-yard-dash: 4.64

SPORQ: 91.7, Former: 5-star, Age: 21.5

Projected Draft Capital: TE3, pick 33

In his defense, Brock Bowers has spent the past two seasons ahead of him on the target totem pole as Georgia’s No. 1 receiver and primary receiving TE. And, because Bowers is either the best or 2nd-best TE prospect in at least 15 years, it feels a little unfair to penalize Washington too harshly for that fact.

As a bonus strictly for NFL teams, Washington is an elite blocker. Among 86 qualifying Power 5 TEs in 2022, Washington ranked 2nd-best in PFF pass block grade (78.4) and 3rd-best in PFF run block grade (81.3).

All of this being said, there’s still a lot to get excited about when it comes to Washington — a lot more than I initially expected.

He’s an all-time great athlete for the position. He recorded a 4.08 short shuttle time at the Combine, which ranked 3rd-best among all players from this year’s class. For perspective, Washington is 264 pounds, and the two players (a WR and a CB) with better times were both under 200 pounds. The short shuttle isn’t a very predictive event for the position, but Washington also recorded the 2nd-best Speed Score in the class (the most predictive athletic variable for TEs). Everything added up for a 91.7 SPORQ Score, which ranked 3rd-best in the class and 8th-best over the last six draft classes.

And here’s where things get really interesting. Although Washington was lacking in raw production, he really wasn’t terrible on a per-route basis — his 1.60 career YPRR average was better than that of Luke Musgrave (1.38). And on a per-reception or per-target basis, his numbers were legitimately elite. Washington leads the class in career yards per target average (11.1), career raw depth-adjusted yards per target over expectation (+2.29), career yards per reception average (17.2), career missed tackles forced per reception (0.31), career yards after the catch per reception (7.58), and explosive play rate (34% of career targets leading to gains of 15 or more yards). We’re definitely working with a small sample here, and the lack of raw production and volume definitely matters more — remember, volume is efficiency — but still, this is important and impressive.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Deranged Rhino

Man, it would be nice to see him slip to 27, but I don't think he makes it past 18 at best (or worst, however you want to look at it)

• O Rly 1

Deranged Rhino
33 minutes ago, Foxx said:

I see rumors that Will Anderson Jr. is going to be taken by the Texans. With Ryans as HC, I can see it.

I'm not sure if its Houston or someone else, but someone has been pushing the "we aren't taking a QB at 2" for about a week. So it wouldn't shock me. 

I still think if they're going to do that, they have to at least take calls to move back. 

Edited by Deranged Rhino
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

I'm not sure if its Houston or someone else, but someone has been pushing the "we aren't taking a QB at 2" for about a week. So it wouldn't shock me. 

I still think if they're going to do that, they have to at least take calls to move back. 

I don't know if they could move back and still get Anderson Jr. Almost every mock I've seen has the Cardinals at #3 taking the edge rusher.

They do need a QB though. I once thought Mills had a future, but that future may only be as a back up. I don't know who they could get at #12, perhaps maybe they would move up(?).

• Like 2

Deranged Rhino

If anyone's curious, Eisen's mock draft (only the top 10)

Spoiler

1. Young

2. Stroud

3. Anderson

4. Richardson

5. Wilson

6. Witherspoon

7. Johnson Jr.

8. Robinson

9. Skoronski

10. Carter

* No trades

Deranged Rhino
24 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

I think my favorite is "Don't pick a Florida player". As someone with a lot of Gator fans in his extended family, that made my morning :classic_laugh: 

Deranged Rhino
5 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

I know a lot of the press they have to do is a grind for these guys, but some of the experiences are pretty amazing. 

Man I hope Bijan slips... but it's unlikely he'll even get past Atlanta at this point. 

• Like 2

https://www.outkick.com/c-j-stroud-explains-low-s2-test-score-im-not-a-test-taker-i-play-football/

FOX Sports college football analyst and NFL Network draft analyst Joel Klatt. He’s not buying that Stroud should fall because of the S2 test result.

“No. Not even close,” Klatt said. “And I don’t even know if those league sources are accurate. Let’s put that out there right away … But let’s say, sake of argument, that test was accurate. That test is trying to get me to not believe my own eyes. And I’m not willing to do that.

Analysts Cannot ‘Unsee’ C.J. Stroud Tape

“I don’t care what that test tells me when I covered him eight times, you know? And was around him in the spring before he ever started a game. I see the way he makes decisions and I see the timing with which he releases the ball based on route leverage. And I can tell you he processes football information incredibly well.”

Fellow NFL Network analyst Charles Davis also isn’t sold on Stroud having a weakness based on a poor test result.

“When you sit with a kid and you turn on the tape and he takes you through all of it, that’s your best S2,” Davis said. “I’m not denigrating the test. I don’t know enough about the test. I just know I’m at a stage in my life that I’m not kicking somebody out because I heard a test score.

“I can’t unsee him down the stretch playing.”

• Like 2

Last one by me.

•  
    Jack Campbell
    LB Iowa
    trade icon
  •  
    Cody Mauch
    OT North Dakota State

•  
    Tuli Tuipulotu
    EDGE USC
    trade icon
  •  
    Matthew Bergeron
    OT Syracuse

•  
    Jaquelin Roy
    DT LSU

•  
    Zack Kuntz
    TE Old Dominion
  • Cheers 1
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, B-Man said:

Last one by me.

•  
    Jack Campbell
    LB Iowa
    trade icon
  •  
    Cody Mauch
    OT North Dakota State

•  
    Tuli Tuipulotu
    EDGE USC
    trade icon
  •  
    Matthew Bergeron
    OT Syracuse

•  
    Jaquelin Roy
    DT LSU

•  
    Zack Kuntz
    TE Old Dominion

Waiting for the Billz Muffia’s reaction to having a TIGHT END named KUNTZ. 

Jersey sales would be epic. 

• Haha 2