Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

General Game Day Thread Week 3 (2022)

BillsFans

3 hours ago, Chandemonium said:

I get the competitive drive behind it, but I’m a little surprised backs don’t tell their own lineman to cut it out, and I’m even more surprised it hasn’t already led to a major spinal injury to a RB. They’re  basically leaning into a wall with their chest/shoulders and then getting drilled in the lower back by multiple 300+ pounders running full speed on some of these plays. 

IIRC that was a penalty years ago. A lineman couldn't directly aid in the forward progress of a runner by hitting and pushing, or pulling them forward. I think they could hit the pile, but not the runner specifically. I'm pretty sure I can remember that being flagged when I was a kid.

• Like 4

Kinda reminds me of a Bills game years ago. Can't remember if it was Browns or Bengals but they had something like 14 total yards of offense for the entire game.

• Like 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
11 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

Kinda reminds me of a Bills game years ago. Can't remember if it was Browns or Bengals but they had something like 14 total yards of offense for the entire game.

Browns.  2004, Week 14.  McCown was 8 of 20 for 63 yards...and was sacked 6 times for 65 yards, for a grand total passing yards of -3 yards on 8 attempts.  Jeff Garcia came in and had 1 pass for 5 yards, and was sacked once for 5 yard loss.  

Browns total offense on the day: 26 yards.  29 rushing, and -3 passing.  I think that might have been the game where the Browns went into the 4th quarter with -5 yards total.  

And they still somehow scored a touchdown.  'Cause Bills gotta Bills.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Browns.  2004, Week 14.  McCown was 8 of 20 for 63 yards...and was sacked 6 times for 65 yards, for a grand total passing yards of -3 yards on 8 attempts.  Jeff Garcia came in and had 1 pass for 5 yards, and was sacked once for 5 yard loss.  

Browns total offense on the day: 26 yards.  29 rushing, and -3 passing.  I think that might have been the game where the Browns went into the 4th quarter with -5 yards total.  

And they still somehow scored a touchdown.  'Cause Bills gotta Bills.

Last time I was at the Ralph!  I still have the rain pants I bought that morning at Target.

3 hours ago, CarpetCrawler said:

IIRC that was a penalty years ago. A lineman couldn't directly aid in the forward progress of a runner by hitting and pushing, or pulling them forward. I think they could hit the pile, but not the runner specifically. I'm pretty sure I can remember that being flagged when I was a kid.

The rule was changed in 2005.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Uncle Joe said:

OPI - refs in midseason form

If Troy Aikman thinks one way, I generally think the other.  He wasn't running a route - he clearly peeked and then left his feet to make sure he hit Diggs.  It was OPI.

Crap Throwing Clavin
3 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

If Troy Aikman thinks one way, I generally think the other.  He wasn't running a route - he clearly peeked and then left his feet to make sure he hit Diggs.  It was OPI.

Yeah, leaving his feet was the key to the penalty.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

OPI notwithstanding, to me, that moment was simply 'hit or be hit.' He chose to hit. Don't blame him.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

OPI notwithstanding, to me, that moment was simply 'hit or be hit.' He chose to hit. Don't blame him.

AD often mentions expecting the body to do uncanny things is unfair.  Even though Trevon's last name is Diggs I just can't see him applying the brakes before making contact. 

JMHO.

Crap Throwing Clavin
29 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Yeah, that was really bad.

If he stays on his feet, that's a bad call.

Leave your feet to make that hit, and 90% of the time the refs call it every time.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

If he stays on his feet, that's a bad call.

Leave your feet to make that hit, and 90% of the time the refs call it every time.

I see what you did there

are you a ref on the side?