Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Bills @ Bengals - The Aftermath - Week #17 '22 [Say a Prayer for Damar Hamlin Please] [Back in Buffalo!] [Fully Cleared, Working out with the team!] [Full Go at Training Camp] [Played Today!] [Made the 2023 Team!] [Playing Today!] Comeback POTY

Foxx

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

How Damar Hamlin's cardiac arrest affected the sporting world

</snip>

The response to Hamlin's near-death experience has resonated across the country.

Response from the NFL: Saving Hamlin's life was possible thanks to a well-rehearsed plan and proper resources available in the form of athletic trainers and medical professionals. Preparation was vital.

"I think everyone saw that when you have the right plans in place, you have the right equipment, you have the staff in place, that you can have a really positive outcome," chief operating officer of the Korey Stringer Institute Rebecca Stearns told ESPN. "... That's one of the biggest things is just this greater conversation, and I think also the idea of this being something that can be achievable even in other levels of play."

The league office worked on how to make an impact beyond its stadiums.

"Everybody gets scared when something awful happens or you feel out of control, but here we were coming to it from a place of, well, we can give people a little bit more control and a little bit more knowledge that could actually help save lives," said Anna Isaacson, NFL senior vice president of social responsibility.

</snip>

The trickle-down responses: The ripples from Hamlin's cardiac arrest have been felt at the collegiate level. It was reinforced after USC basketball player Bronny James went into cardiac arrest on July 24, likely caused by a congenital heart defect.

</snip>

1 hour ago, You Dirty Rat said:

This is the longest title I ever saw

Let me check the book for the record....

I can keep adding to it...

• Haha 2

I hope now that he’s gone back to Cincinnati the league and the football media are ready to put Damar’s story to bed. While I’m thrilled at his recovery and that he seems to be really taking advantage of the opportunity to pay it forward, I don’t need to be reminded of that night at every opportunity. I get that they probably couldn’t not address it his first time back, but I hope it doesn’t become a thing going forward every time these teams play. I can’t put my finger on what exactly, something about last night’s pregame puff piece felt gross and exploitative rather than celebratory. 

• Like 1

Nouseforaname
56 minutes ago, Chandemonium said:

I hope now that he’s gone back to Cincinnati the league and the football media are ready to put Damar’s story to bed. While I’m thrilled at his recovery and that he seems to be really taking advantage of the opportunity to pay it forward, I don’t need to be reminded of that night at every opportunity. I get that they probably couldn’t not address it his first time back, but I hope it doesn’t become a thing going forward every time these teams play. I can’t put my finger on what exactly, something about last night’s pregame puff piece felt gross and exploitative rather than celebratory. 

Every time the Bills play the Giants I get to re-live wide right.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chandemonium said:

He has done a lot of good with his platform. I am also very glad he has fully recovered.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Nouseforaname said:

Every time the Bills play the Giants I get to re-live wide right.

I decided against using an example in my post for brevity’s sake, but the obligatory post commercial break mention and still photos of that and the music city miracle when we play the titans were the two I was thinking of as what I don’t want to happen.

Edited by Chandemonium
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Fansince88
On 1/2/2024 at 6:45 PM, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

But he didn't have that tattoo a year ago.  Ergo, he's a clone!  

"The clone part I 900% believe but his name is Ergo"? Probably Chris Collinsworth

• Facepalm 2