Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Ed Oliver Extended

Ann

Jabba The Hutt
17 minutes ago, B-Man said:

It is value, because he is the only DT signed for next year.

No, he isn't consistent enough to be a top tier tackle, but they didn't overpay him

Just making sure, didn't feel like looking up his ranking but don't remember him making any big plays.

5 minutes ago, Uncle Joe said:

I actually like Ed. He does need to play next to a big guy. He also benefited when Von was on the field. He also started out last year with an ankle injury (high ankle sprain?). I don't think he'll go all Dareus because he works hard, high motor etc.

Time will tell. 

Ed is no Darius. He’s not perfect, but he tries, IMO. The high ankle sprain last year was HUGE for him, both in terms of time missed, and time compromised. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Deranged Rhino

Curious to see what the new cap number is, but it should certainly be lower now than it was under the 5th year option - which might mean more moves are coming. 

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Jabba The Hutt said:

Just making sure, didn't feel like looking up his ranking but don't remember him making any big plays.

IMHO, he should have gotten a turkey leg last year.

• Like 3

1st reading of below rant from Ed's coach seemed to be very verbal shot at Ed's performance and attempt to coax a big contract year out of him.

With big contract already given out before the prove it part is completed, maybe Washington's rant was more an indictment of the Frazier defensive containment philosophy.  

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/ryan-ohalloran-to-hear-bills-tell-it-ed-olivers-final-chance-to-earn-long-term/article_cc3f0636-009a-11ee-8d28-c3fb3d9ee3df.html

“Just continue to play the game as much as possible from the neck up. When you have the kind of talent Ed has, you have to understand situations that could mean the difference between separating yourself from the opponent (and saying), ‘I have to able to process very, very quickly so I can win my one-on-one so I can play ahead of the play as opposed to playing with the sequence of that particular play.’

“With Ed, from an experience standpoint, we need him to play ahead as opposed to with the tempo of the play so (understanding) situations, certain nuances with certain calls and understanding where he can take advantage based on his position (is important).”

• O Rly 1
  • Applause 1
  • Cheers 1

13 hours ago, Augie said:

I know his horse must be relieved! That will buy some hay! BTW - Is the horse called Mr Ed? Because that would be cool. 

A horse is a horse of course of course 

—— 

Funny just 2 days ago I read where he had to prove himself “mentally” to match his talent to get an extension 

Edited by Shady

47 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

1st reading of below rant from Ed's coach seemed to be very verbal shot at Ed's performance and attempt to coax a big contract year out of him.

😂 and there it is. 

Crap Throwing Clavin

Oliver had a "drop off in performance" last season because he was out for four games.  His numbers were actually the best of his career on a per-game basis in 2022 than any other season he played.

Did he earn this contract?  Maybe.  Maybe not.  But it's not like he failed to perform last season, like so many seem to be saying.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 5

2 hours ago, Shady said:

A horse is a horse of course of course 

—— 

Funny just 2 days ago I read where he had to prove himself “mentally” to match his talent to get an extension 

See how fast he picked it up once he knew what to do?!?! 

• Like 1

Alaska Darin

I'm going to be the one who says "I like this signing" but it's mostly because we finally have two 1-Tech DTs to play next to him and because Frazier is gone.  I hope he can stay healthy and have a monster year.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
  • Cheers 1

IDBillzFan
1 hour ago, Alaska Darin said:

I'm going to be the one who says "I like this signing" but it's mostly because we finally have two 1-Tech DTs to play next to him and because Frazier is gone.  I hope he can stay healthy and have a monster year.

I'm out of my zone here, but you have to believe a healthy Von Miller and the addition of Poona Ford will give Oliver the help he needs inside to be more disruptive. 

I don't care about the money because it's not my money and the salary cap is Houdini act, so let's see if Ed can be the player everyone wants him to be now that the defensive pieces are stronger.

Not to mention, and I hope I'm not wrong here, but he should be better simply because Frazier is gone. Pure addition by subtraction.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

Oliver penetrates like a 3T is supposed to.

Under Frazier, the line got pressure, but their sack totals and other metrics were muted by the phobia to play contain to avoid giving up the big play.  Giving up 20 yards on 3rd and 18 would seem to be a big play, but Frazier lives in his own  cover 2 world.

the entire defense will have a marked increase in sacks, if that is what "more aggressive" means in McD's world.

my guess is Washington was coaching with his hands tied behind his back.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Cheers 2

The more I think about this, I'm thinking the Bills are starting to take an Atlanta Braves approach that can have some risks, but also can help keep a solid corps of players intact while also adding talent through trades, etc.

In the last few years they have signed homegrown talent like Acuna, Reilly, Albies, Harris, Strider to long term deals early in their careers to more team friendly contracts. Each of them had years of team control and arbitration yet. That on the other hand has also allowed them to go out and get players like Olsen and Murphy. This gives the Braves a really solid core that will assure they stay remain a WS favorite for years to come. It's also a win for those players because they will be young enough for another big payday at the end of it

With the early signing of Josh, and now Eddie I hope this becomes a trend for us to try and keep some of our better homegrown talent to build that core, and keep us on top for years to come. If the Bills had waited until in season, or after season, there is an extremely good chance Oliver price tag would have continued to go up, probably out of the range we could afford to pay.

Edited by Cinga
  • Like 1
  • Wow 1
  • Applause 1
  • Cheers 2

Alaska Darin
1 minute ago, Cinga said:

The more I think about this, I'm thinking the Bills are starting to take an Atlanta Braves approach that can have some risks, but also can help keep a solid corps of players intact while also adding talent through trades, etc.

I the last few years they have signed homegrown talent like Acuna, Reilly, Albies, Harris, Strider to long term deals early in their careers to more team friendly contracts. Each of them had years of team control and arbitration yet. That on the other hand has also allowed them to go out and get players like Olsen and Murphy. This gives the Braves a really solid core that will assure they stay remain a WS favorite for years to come.

With the early signing of Josh, and now Eddie I hope this becomes a trend for us to try and keep some of our better homegrown talent to build that core, and keep us on top for years to come. If the Bills had waited until in season, or after season, there is an extremely good chance Oliver price tag would have continued to go up, probably out of the range we could afford to pay.

Excellent points.  There's certainly a method to how GMBB wants to build a team.  External FAs with big deals will rarely be making their way to Buffalo.  Instead, we'll do a lot of what the Patriots used to do - hang out in the background and sign guys to one-year, cheap deals because they have a chance to show something on a grand stage and possibly win a ring.

Big money will be spent judiciously on drafted/developed players with an eye on extending them a year early, rather than letting the contract lapse.  There will certainly be instances when players (think Milano) won't sign early and instead will test the market.  That's just the cost of doing business.

There has been some noise in the Mafia about how GMBB must not have liked Edmunds but there was no way we were going to pay that guy huge dollars for what he brings to the table.  The little things that have been said show that they appreciated TE49 the man more than they liked the player.  For all the obvious reasons.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
  • Cheers 5