Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Buffalo Bills 2024 First Draft Pick: Round 2, Pick #33 (from Carolina): WR, Florida State, Keon Coleman

SquirminThurman

So... This was one of three WR I wanted Buffalo to avoid drafting, and he was our first pick.

Here we are. Lets dig deeper.

What is good about K Coleman?

• He does have amazing hands, very very few drops. I guess after Gabe Davis and even S Diggs second half of the season that is a concern.
  • He does have amazing body control to make circus like catches, a lot of his highlights are highlight film stuff. He will make a catch like that in week 1-3 and people will be in love with him.
  • He is big, 6'3" 213 nice size
  • He did well against newer metrics:
    • Coleman ran a disappointing 40 time of 4.61 seconds, but he reached the fastest speed in the gauntlet drill, topping out at 20.36 mph — even faster than Nacua last year. Coleman also reached the second-fastest speed of any wide receiver in his group while running a go route, reaching 21.71 mph.
  • He has played against solid competition
  • There have been some very good WR with poor 40 yard speed times: Anquan Bolden (4.73!), Hopkins (4.57)

Issues:

• He is slow: 4.61-4.7 speed
  • He had 30 contested catches in 2023, most in college football. Why? he can't separate.
  • He caught 10 of 30 contested targets (30%) which is below the 40% threshold you want. Some say the QB was throwing trash to him at the end of the season, hoping Coleman would make the play.
  • Josh Allen does poorly throwing into contested WR situations. That could be lack of a 'Big' WR, or JA just may not be good at those throws. I would have taken a WR that presents bigger windows...

At best we get an Anquon Boldin or De'Andre Hopkins type player. That would be good.

I've just seen 2-3x more busts with this profile than successes.

Ladd McConkey was there. AD Mitchell was there. A lot of amazing Defensive players were there.

I'm hoping for the best, but I think K Coleman's best years in the NFL are 600 yards and 6 TD. Not what the Bills needed.

Edited by SquirminThurman
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Cheers 2

Alaska Darin
8 minutes ago, SquirminThurman said:

So... This was one of three WR I wanted Buffalo to avoid drafting, and he was out first pick.

Here we are. Lets dig deeper.

What is good about K Coleman?

• He does have amazing hands, very very few drops. I guess after Gabe Davis and even S Diggs second half of the season that is a concern.
  • He does have amazing body control to make circus like catches, a lot of his highlights are highlight film stuff. He will make a catch like that in week 1-3 and people will be in love with him.
  • He is big, 6'3" 213 nice size
  • He did well against newer metrics:
    • Coleman ran a disappointing 40 time of 4.61 seconds, but he reached the fastest speed in the gauntlet drill, topping out at 20.36 mph — even faster than Nacua last year. Coleman also reached the second-fastest speed of any wide receiver in his group while running a go route, reaching 21.71 mph.
  • He has played against solid competition
  • There have been some very good WR with poor 40 yard speed times: Anquan Bolden (4.73!), Hopkins (4.57)

Issues:

• He is slow: 4.61-4.7 speed
  • He had 30 contested catches in 2023, most in college football. Why? he can't separate.
  • He caught 10 of 30 contested targets (30%) which is below the 40% threshold you want. Some say the QB was throwing trash to him at the end of the season, hoping Coleman would make the play.
  • Josh Allen does poorly throwing into contested WR situations. That could be lack of a 'Big' WR, or JA just may not be good at those throws. I would have taken a WR that presents bigger windows...

At best we get an Anquon Boldin or De'Andre Hopkins type player. That would be good.

I've just seen 2-3x more busts with this profile than successes.

Ladd McConkey was there. AD Mitchell was there. A lot of amazing Defensive player were there.

I'm hoping for the best, but I think K Coleman's best years in the NFL are 600 yards and 6 TD. Not what the Bills needed.

Every time I watch the guy I see Eric Moulds.  One-handed catches and just bullying the smaller DBs.

I don't think Josh struggles to throw to covered WRs...I think the WRs we've had have struggled to win when tightly covered.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
  • Popcorn 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Boo 1

SquirminThurman
10 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

Every time I watch the guy I see Eric Moulds.  One-handed catches and just bullying the smaller DBs.

I don't think Josh struggles to throw to covered WRs...I think the WRs we've had have struggled to win when tightly covered.

Eric Moulds ran a 4.5 40, which is very good for a big body WR.

I just have the feeling K Coleman is James Hardy (RIP)

On contested catches Coleman was 30%.

I don't like the pick at all. I will hope the guy plays well. Maybe this is my Torrence reaction from last year.

Not my guy at the spot, not in this draft and not general overall.

JA is going to throw a lot of INTs targeting this guy. Just my feeling.

• Sad 1

Alaska Darin
4 minutes ago, SquirminThurman said:

Eric Moulds ran a 4.5 40, which is very good for a big body WR.

I just have the feeling K Coleman is James Hardy (RIP)

On contested catches Coleman was 30%.

I don't like the pick at all. I will hope the guy plays well. Maybe this is me Torrence reaction from last year.

Not my guy at the spot, not in this draft and not general overall.

JA is going to throw a lot of INTs targeting this guy. Just my feeling.

Now name FSU's QB and other skill players that were targeted.

I cannot imagine what people would have said about Moulds playing at MSU back then with today's analytics.  He was a bust for 2 years in Buffalo regardless.

• Like 1
  • Boo 1

SquirminThurman
12 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

Now name FSU's QB and other skill players that were targeted.

I cannot imagine what people would have said about Moulds playing at MSU back then with today's analytics.  He was a bust for 2 years in Buffalo regardless.

This is just a silly argument. Moulds was considered a top 3 WR prospect when he was drafted. Neither of them had great QB play. There were a few teams that vocally disliked him, but the consensus was WR3.

Coleman was all over draft boards, from WR8 to WR 20.

I wanted nothing to do with Coleman. I would have rather had McConkey/ Legette/ Mitchell at that position and all were there at #28. Coleman presents JA a tiny window, or will look covered. I don't want that.

I know I made a post about AD Mitchell's attitude and drive. But I would have much rather had his physical upside over Coleman. Especially after trading back.

This was another WR miss by Beane in the draft IMO.

We are wasting Josh Allen's prime.

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

When he was at MSU he was pretty much the entirety of their passing game and everybody knew it.  He was really noticably good.

Especially early on, not sure that he'll be the prototypical X, but with Kincaid, Shakur, Cook, & one of the FA WR's or Knox on the field SOMEBODY has to be open on every down.

And agree with you completely that the issues with completions thrown into coverage is on the WRs, NOT on Allen.

• Cheers 2

Seasons1992
4 hours ago, Ann said:

He is gonna be sad when he finds out there are no Waffle Houses in NYS. :classic_sad:

No one should be sad about that.

bflo has plenty of great non-sticky or cracked out breakfast joints.

Swan Street, Roosters, Uncle Joe’s, Bettys.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

No one should be sad about that.

bflo has plenty of great non-sticky or cracked out breakfast joints.

Swan Street, Roosters, Uncle Joe’s, Bettys.

Mmmmm Waffle House.

I doubt he’ll be living in Buffalo to go any of those spots (Sophia’s, Nico’s, Pano’s… mmmm Greek breakfast.)

SquirminThurman

Two days later and I still don't like this pick. I've tried to rationalize it, and still don't like it. I really hope this dude proves me wrong like O Torrence did.

Trading back to 33 was penalty enough for AD Mitchell. Tell him 'You fell to the second round for being a slacker dumb ass, get to work or get cut'. Pair him up at camp with Ray Davis, if Davis was your guy at RB, to let him know life can be tough. &#%$ I'd draft Ray Davis just to be a functional RB and PIA to Mitchell. Double win IMO.

I want exceptional traits in the 1st round. Something you can not coach. K Coleman is big but what else?

So maybe McConkey is a very low end X or mid Y. He had done it. Legette being drafted after the second trade back was bad enough, that was my WRX safety net.

Not only that, we ended up with him after 6 QBs and multiple WRs were taken. FFS take a defender and move up in the 2nd for a WR at that point.

We ended the best WR draft in 20 years with &#%$ing Keon Coleman, and nothing else. A dude that is in every draft. So that happened, take a flyer on Johnson from MI later for heaven's sake.

We have Keon Coleman instead. Waffle House connoisseur looking for snacks....

I'm still apoplectic about this pick. I hate it.

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 1

Jabba The Hutt
4 hours ago, SquirminThurman said:

Two days later and I still don't like this pick. I've tried to rationalize it, and still don't like it. I really hope this dude proves me wrong like O Torrence did.

Trading back to 33 was penalty enough for AD Mitchell. Tell him 'You fell to the second round for being a slacker dumb ass, get to work or get cut'. Pair him up at camp with Ray Davis, if Davis was your guy at RB, to let him know life can be tough. &#%$ I'd draft Ray Davis just to be a functional RB and PIA to Mitchell. Double win IMO.

I want exceptional traits in the 1st round. Something you can not coach. K Coleman is big but what else?

So maybe McConkey is a very low end X or mid Y. He had done it. Legette being drafted after the second trade back was bad enough, that was my WRX safety net.

Not only that, we ended up with him after 6 QBs and multiple WRs were taken. FFS take a defender and move up in the 2nd for a WR at that point.

We ended the best WR draft in 20 years with &#%$ing Keon Coleman, and nothing else. A dude that is in every draft. So that happened, take a flyer on Johnson from MI later for heaven's sake.

We have Keon Coleman instead. Waffle House connoisseur looking for snacks....

I'm still apoplectic about this pick. I hate it.

McConkey will make the Bills pay for 12+ years :crying3: To make matters worse they also got Brendan Rice to double shit on us for the next decade. Harbaugh knows how to draft!

Jabba The Hutt

Now I'm not gonna lie...Keon can be better than Diggs. Hopefully he'll realize his potential and we can still trade for McConkey and Luke McCaffrey some day to pair with CMC.

Edited by Jabba The Hutt

Crap Throwing Clavin
5 hours ago, Ann said:

LOL

NOT an image I needed in my head, however...

Fansince88
On 4/27/2024 at 11:46 AM, CarpetCrawler said:

What about Jim Otto? 

2c386eec841a97ad4041bd92b3cf74d6.jpg

Double-aught

• Like 1