Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Obituaries

B-Man

RochesterRob

RIP Lou Conter.  Conter was the last surviving crew member of the USS Arizona which was sunk during the Japanese raid on Pearl Harbor.  Conter died Monday from congestive heart failure and was 102 years old. 

• Sad 3
  • Cheers 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
23 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

RIP Lou Conter.  Conter was the last surviving crew member of the USS Arizona which was sunk during the Japanese raid on Pearl Harbor.  Conter died Monday from congestive heart failure and was 102 years old. 

They going to name an aircraft carrier after him too?  :classic_dry:

• Like 2

RochesterRob
2 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

They going to name an aircraft carrier after him too?  :classic_dry:

Nothing is sacred anymore.  Heavy cruisers used to be named after major cities.  Battleships after US states and carriers were Revolutionary War battles and US Presidents.  I guess that there will not be a Warren G Harding or Richard M Nixon from the looks of it but a Britney Griner at some point.  

RochesterRob
1 hour ago, B-Man said:

VERY SAD.

P

I loved that show even though I had been out of high school for quite a while when it first ran.  To me his character was the most realistic dad I had ever seen on television.  No cracking a joke once per minute or a soft pushover.  Just a guy trying to make a living with his small business and looking out for his kids even if he did not come right out and say that he loved them everyday.  

• Like 2

CarpetCrawler

1676327127248?e=2147483647&v=beta&t=_eHR

It'll scare the pants right off of you......or dress.......whatever you're wearing. 

• Like 2

On 3/28/2024 at 8:44 PM, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Does not at all change my point.

Berke Breathed had it right; we need more Statesmen.  :classic_wink:

• Like 2

Variety, by Chris Morris 

Dickey Betts, whose country-inflected songwriting and blazing, lyrical guitar work opposite Duane Allman in the Allman Brothers Band helped define the Southern rock genre of the ‘60s and ‘70s, died Thursday in Osprey, Fla. He was 80. His family posted a statement on Instagram, writing, “It is with profound sadness and heavy hearts that the Betts family announce the peaceful passing of Forrest Richard ‘Dickey’ Betts (December 12, 1943 – April 18, 2024) at the age of 80 years old. The legendary performer, songwriter, bandleader and family patriarch passed away earlier today at his home in Osprey, FL

• Sad 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Love 1

MothersMilk
4 minutes ago, Foxx said:

Geez... Rip. I think that every freaking pack I opened back when had either a Roman Gabriel or a LeRoy Kelly card in there. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

What a great life.

RIP: Terry Carter, Groundbreaking Actor from Original 'Battlestar Galactica', 'McCloud', Dead at 95

Terry Carter, actor best known as Colonel Tigh in the original ‘Battlestar Galactica' and Sgt. Joe Broadhurst in 'McCloud' has died. He was 95 years old.

Born John Everett DeCoste in Brooklyn, N.Y., on Dec. 16, 1928, to parents of Dominican, Argentine and African American descent, Carter would go on to become the first Black TV news anchor for Boston’s WBZ-TV Eyewitness News, where he also became their first opening night drama and movie critic. He was also one of the first Black regulars on the 1956 TV sitcom series “The Phil Silvers Show,” in which he played Private Sugarman.

Carter’s other credits include the 1970 TV movie “Company of Killers,” in which he starred alongside Van Johnson and Ray Milland, and the 1974 film “Foxy Brown” with Pam Grier.

https://twitchy.com/amy-curtis/2024/04/23/rip-terry-carter-groundbreaking-actor-from-original-battlestar-galactica-mccloud-dead-at-95-n2395442

• Sad 3

2 minutes ago, B-Man said:

What a great life.

RIP: Terry Carter, Groundbreaking Actor from Original 'Battlestar Galactica', 'McCloud', Dead at 95

Terry Carter, actor best known as Colonel Tigh in the original ‘Battlestar Galactica' and Sgt. Joe Broadhurst in 'McCloud' has died. He was 95 years old.

Born John Everett DeCoste in Brooklyn, N.Y., on Dec. 16, 1928, to parents of Dominican, Argentine and African American descent, Carter would go on to become the first Black TV news anchor for Boston’s WBZ-TV Eyewitness News, where he also became their first opening night drama and movie critic. He was also one of the first Black regulars on the 1956 TV sitcom series “The Phil Silvers Show,” in which he played Private Sugarman.

Carter’s other credits include the 1970 TV movie “Company of Killers,” in which he starred alongside Van Johnson and Ray Milland, and the 1974 film “Foxy Brown” with Pam Grier.

https://twitchy.com/amy-curtis/2024/04/23/rip-terry-carter-groundbreaking-actor-from-original-battlestar-galactica-mccloud-dead-at-95-n2395442

For all the criticism of minorities being held down on television his Col Tighe on BG was depicted as intelligent and capable plus was only second to Adama in terms of authority on the Galactica.  

• Like 4